Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2021, 23:51   #1
BHPian

Which SUV / Crossover should I buy for Rs 45 lakhs?

Hello,

Need some advice for a new SUV(ish) car for my wife. She has been driving our XUV500 for the last 9+ years and we need to replace it in the next few months (will be 10 years old in Dec 2021, done 79K). We have the following constraints:

1) Petrol engine, AT

2) Mostly used for city driving in Gurgaon and sparingly for long drives. Gurgaon pot holes worry me so GC would be an important factor

3) I expect it be be driven ~10K kms per year

4) Most days my wife would be the only one driving it or ferrying one of the kids. On weekends we could be 4 or 5 (if our Dad joins us).

5) Would like ample cabin space, comfort, safety and driving pleasure

6) Would like a smooth and hassle free experience so don't want to try new, untested cars especially ones without a proper ASS network. We plan to keep it for ~10 years

7) We had started looking at the Hector, Creta and Seltos but my wife is veering towards something more aspirational and premium so we didn't even test drive them :(

8) Budget is ~45L, all inclusive

9) Our other car is an Audi A4 petrol which I use for my office commute

I haven't looked for a car in the last 4 years and am left thoroughly confused now. We test drove the Q2 and X1. Of the two, Q2 felt cramped and despite the heavy discounts, it is out of contention. We kind of liked the X1 and I was going to pull the trigger on it (X1 Xline), but my friend (a car nerd) suggested I wait for the newer X1, especially one with xDrive. He strongly felt X1 doesn't have the BMW DNA is based on an antiquated platform.

I have no idea when the new GLA would arrive and how it would be priced. Are there any other options I should be evaluating? Would appreciate your suggestions and advice.

Thank you!

Last edited by saraf_suman : 17th February 2021 at 23:52. Reason: corrected the details
saraf_suman is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 23:58   #2
BHPian

re: Which SUV / Crossover should I buy for Rs 45 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraf_suman View Post
Hello,

Need some advice for a new SUV(ish) car for my wife. She has been driving our XUV500 for the last 9+ years and we need to replace it in the next few months (will be 10 years old in Dec 2021, done 79K). We have the following constraints:

I have no idea when the new GLA would arrive and how it would be priced. Are there any other options I should be evaluating? Would appreciate your suggestions and advice.
Hi,

Unless you are very focused on the top 3 German brands, I would suggest Kodiak and Tiguan. Tiguan is available with 2 Ltr TSI Petrol engine. Will be more spacious than any of the entry level BMW or Audi. Plus you can have it I think will extended warranty and optional maintenance packages within 40 lakhs I think.

If the car being an SUV is not a barrier, the Superb L&K is a great choice. It is a mini SUV with a huge boot, good GV and full underbody protection.

Regards
Rachit

Last edited by Sheel : 18th February 2021 at 09:02. Reason: Please quote *ONLY* the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 00:00   #3

re: Which SUV / Crossover should I buy for Rs 45 lakhs?

You could consider the Volkswagen Tiguan AllSpace. Considering the space and features. The engine 2.0L Tsi and the lightning fast DSG Gearbox is surely a treat!
FaizanShakeel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 07:54   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which SUV / Crossover should I buy for Rs 45 lakhs?

From the options currently available, I think your wife will love the BMW X1. Sure, it's not got the BMW DNA, but I don't think your wife is looking for it. It's the right size for the city, easy to drive, feels premium and has the badge. Perhaps just what the lady is looking for?

Would also suggest taking a spin in the Volvo XC40. It is very stylish.

If you are open to waiting, then the Kodiaq 2.0 Petrol, next-gen Tucson & next-gen XUV500 are coming too.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 08:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

You don't need seven seats so the Tiguan 5-seater is probably a very good choice. Better value than the BMW X1 or Merc GLA too!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 10:58   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

To all those recommending the Tiguan / Allspace, keep in mind that it has a stiff suspension and that can be a deal breaker for me. It's the primary reason I would never consider the car. Ride comfort is super important to a majority of customers.

My sister & brother-in-law bought a Tiguan in 2019. They HATE taking it to Pawna.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 11:06   #7
Team-BHP Support

Not sure if its on sale currently (perhaps not) but I would strongly recommend the 2.0 petrol Kodiaq whenever its back on sale. At that price point this is hands down the best option I can think of.

I don't think any of the big 3 entry German SUVs are honestly worth it but if you "had to" pick one from them, I guess I would recommend the X1.

Next gen Tucson is a good option too but ideally only when the next iteration comes through. Even the revamped Creta feels more special than the outgoing Tucson - its just beginning to look jaded now in the current competition.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 11:29   #8
BHPian

I test drove an X1 recently and the noise levels in the cabin spoiled the premium experience for me. It was the diesel, so in addition to the engine sound, the road/tyre noise was just too much. I was told that it was because of the run-flat tyres. I didn't consider changing the tyres to higher profile tyres since I thought it would spoil the look. The other deal breakers were the lack of keyless entry and Android Auto.

Quote:
He strongly felt X1 doesn't have the BMW DNA is based on an antiquated platform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sure, it's not got the BMW DNA, but I don't think your wife is looking for it.

If you are open to waiting, then the Kodiaq 2.0 Petrol, next-gen Tucson & next-gen XUV500 are coming too.
Could someone clarify what we mean by X1 not having the BMW DNA? Is it because it doesn't have RWD and the driving dynamics, while good, aren't great? A bit off-topic for this thread, but would we say the X3 has the BMW DNA?

Also, I'd be curious to know when is the next-gen Tucson expected in India. Haven't seen reliable news so far except for some speculation.
Old 18th February 2021, 13:23   #9
BHPian

I forgot to include this in my post, but we did TD the Tiguan All Space. I liked the car overall, the build and the fit and finish. Also when my wife drove it, while cornering she said she felt she was driving a van. Also the Tiguan All Space is longer than our XUV and it might be difficult to park in her dedicated slot.

I did some more research after reading the replies here, but couldn't find any worthy competitors yet

Q3 - no timeline yet
GLA - tentatively in April
Tiguan 5 seater - VW Dealer said closer to end of year
Kodiaq - expected around June

I will try and test drive the XC50 today.

On the X1 XLine, I am being offered a discount of 3.53L on 46L (ex showroom 40L + registration 4L + service charges ~95K + insurance ~1.02L). Is that reasonable or is there a possibility for more? I haven't really negotiated very hard yet but would appreciate any feedback from folks who have purchased an X1 recently.

Thank you!
saraf_suman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 13:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Why not consider an EV?
Could be a viable alternative given your requirements of primarily a city car. If you have possibility of easily having the required charging infra setup in your home then it could be a good option.
Something to ponder.
Old 18th February 2021, 13:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Why not consider an EV?
Could be a viable alternative given your requirements of primarily a city car. If you have possibility of required charging infra setup in your home then it could be a good option.
Something to ponder.
We had thought about it lot. My brother in law in-fact got a Hector Electric and we got to drive it a fair bit. However, the charging setup is difficult to organise in our basement parking in the apartment complex :(
saraf_suman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Considering your requirements, the current best options would be a Tiguan or X1. But, if you could wait for a bit, I believe the Mercedes Benz GLA will be launching soon. That might be worth taking a look at.

Quote:
We had thought about it lot. My brother in law in-fact got a Hector Electric and we got to drive it a fair bit. However, the charging setup is difficult to organise in our basement parking in the apartment complex :(
Slightly OT: I believe you're talking about the ZS EV since there is no Hector Electric.
akash_v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 15:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
6) Would like a smooth and hassle free experience so don't want to try new, untested cars especially ones without a proper ASS network. We plan to keep it for ~10 years
Why not check out the Fortuner while car shopping. It might not tick the luxury quotient, but since you quoted reliability and 10 year ownership it just crossed my mind. And I think it still comes in a Petrol AT avatar.
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 15:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Slightly OT: I believe you're talking about the ZS EV since there is no Hector Electric.
You are correct. My apologies. It was indeed the ZS EV. MG had left a TD vehicle with him and said they could keep it for 48 hours. Then they never took it back for the next 3 weeks despite several reminders. Since they had already setup the charging infrastructure at his place, he ended up clocking ~2K Kms on the TD vehicle!
saraf_suman is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 16:42   #15
BHPian

In a similar kind of boat. I had to discard the Tiguain or Kodiaq due to unavalibility. Only cars left are X1, Volvo XC40, Ford Endeavor and Toyota Fortuner.

X1 ticks a lot of boxes but has some serious issues too. So its a tricky choice. Going for a second TD to take a call.
Pseud is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks