Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Jeep would you rather have in your garage?
1997 Classic 145 38.87%
2021 Thar 228 61.13%
Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2020, 10:32   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

1997 Mahindra Classic vs 2021 Mahindra Thar

1997 Mahindra Classic vs 2021 Mahindra Thar-1.jpg

As some of you know, I've fallen in love with the 2nd-gen Thar. If everything had gone to plan, I would have already sold my Classic by now & would be waiting for the '21 Thar .

BUT

As luck would have it, there are major hurdles in the paperwork. The company that financed my Jeep shut down back in the 90s and after talking to a lot of people, I have come to the conclusion that it is going to be very difficult, and will involve a lot of effort & paperwork to remove the hypothecation. So, my Jeep is still standing down the house like the spouse who still madly loves you and won't give you a divorce .

Don't get me wrong, as of now, I still want to swap the Classic for the Thar, but just wanted to hear the thoughts of BHPians. Which 4x4 of the 2 would you rather own & why?

1997 Mahindra Classic vs 2021 Mahindra Thar-2.jpg

Advantage Classic: A 24-year long love affair, there is a certain sexiness to an old + unique Jeep, looks badass and is still a head-turner, the rarity as there is nothing like it on the road (anyone can buy a new Thar), raw + mechanical driving feel, "fully open" to drive, smaller & nimbler, more fun to offroad in, costs nothing to own as its already paid for, the maintenance is cheap, excellent reliability since engine swap - had no breakdowns in 7 - 8 years. A real Jeep & a true Classic.

But the Mahindra Classic's usage is very limited because its a 2-seater, slow, bumpy, crude and not comfortable cruising over 80 - 90 kmph. Forget the highway, even city usage is limited as I cannot drive it under the afternoon sun or if I'm going for a family lunch. The Classic is my night & weekend toy.

1997 Mahindra Classic vs 2021 Mahindra Thar-3.jpg

Advantage Thar: Way more luxurious & comfortable in comparison, has all the amenities, a fantastic Diesel AT, usage will be higher as it can be driven everywhere, air-conditioning + power steering, 4-star NCAP rating (my '97 Jeep has zero safety), can be used for road-trips, can offroad in comfort, convertible top that I can open & close at will.

But I'm not sure how much of the Thar's highway manners I'll use as my preferred highway drive is the BMW. Additionally, as I have media cars on several weekends, even the Thar's usage will be limited (although a lot more than the Classic).

1997 Mahindra Classic vs 2021 Mahindra Thar-4.jpg

I really love my Jeep and I really love the new Thar. But keeping 2 Jeeps isn't an option as I want to have a diverse garage (a sporty 2-door coupe is on the horizon). Parking isn't a problem though - I can accommodate 8 cars in my building.

1997 Mahindra Classic vs 2021 Mahindra Thar-5.jpg

P.S. A small advantage with my Classic is that, due to its narrow width, I can stick it to the building wall and squeeze my 530d out through the gap. Hence, there is no need to remove the Jeep to remove the 530d. That won't be possible with the bigger & wider Thar which will block the other car.

1997 Mahindra Classic vs 2021 Mahindra Thar-6.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 1st January 2021 at 09:44. Reason: More points
GTO is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 11:04   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 1997 Mahindra Classic vs 2021 Mahindra Thar

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line! Incidentally, I have both the Jeeps parked down my house right now .

Last edited by GTO : 29th December 2020 at 11:07.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 11:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I always thought you hold on to the Classic due to sentimental reasons. That and if you still love the car, are reasons enough for the garage queen to stay .

Since the Classic or the Thar won't be your primary ride ever, practicality is of least concern. Other cars in the garage take care of the creature comforts as well. Classic has everything enough to cater to those weekend drives.

That the Classic has been reliable till now and it's maintenance has not been a headache, it can stay on.

Lastly, the Classic is out of production and can't be bought again later. It is....well....a true Classic! Please hold on to it.

As to the new Thar, I am sure many friends or family would buy the vehicle. It would be available as rentals too. You could borrow or rent one for a drive.

PS: Spread a word among your close best friends that Thar is an excellent car and they should grab one soon
ashis89 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 11:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

All said and done, the Classic has been with you for long, served what it does the best, and may carry on for longer due to its simpler mechanicals and near zero electricals. I know it tugs your heart but when comparing to new Thar, I feel it can be said Goodbye. The new Thar may not last even half of what the Classic has but we always try for better and safer models moving ahead in life. Safety is foremost as I experienced last week and that alone should prompt you to go for the New Thar. As far as accommodating the Thar is concerned, once you get it, you'll get ideas to accommodate it and adjust your parking. The Classic can be taken care of by someone close. You can even keep it but then keeping more vehicles and not using them will degrade it. You'll spend time to fix it up before taking it out. The 2 reasons for which I would favour the Thar are safety and comfort.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 29th December 2020 at 11:56.
BoneCollector is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 11:57   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I really love my Jeep and I really love the new Thar. But keeping 2 Jeeps isn't an option as I want to have a diverse garage (a sporty 2-door coupe is on the horizon).
If any Jeep is a 'Keeper', its the Classic. It's got everything that makes it a 'Classic' and I'm sure the value will compound or even more over the next decade.

BUT, there is no comparison between the New Thar and the Classic. I'm sure except for the wheelbase, the New Thar will beat the Classic in almost ALL WAYS. The Technology will make sure that each wheel will get the right traction at the right time. Even on road, the New Thar will win over the classic hands down. The less said about comfort, the better. So, its not really a question of which ones better. Both hold value, but, in different areas.

May I please request you to hold on to the Classic? Especially since you've bought that machine new, and still is in mint condition. Once sold, you will never own the Classic Jeep. That's a sad thought. Also, being a hardcore enthusiast, I think a person like you should hold on to a piece of history (yours). Maintaining the Classic isnt a big thing. Just imaging 20 or 30 years down the line, driving your classic which you bought new.

The Thar will never be that.
dhanushs is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 12:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

GTO, a heart-over-head decision would be to hold on to the Classic beauty. But for many reasons already mentioned by other BHPians and conclusions you must have reached yourself, I'm assuming, the best thing to do would be to find a suitable owner for the Classic.

The new Thar, although it's expensive, is one of the best - if not the best - cars launched this year. I'm sure it would attain a classic vintage status within the next two decades or so. Besides, the excitement of a more reliable (and new) off-roader is always something to think about.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 12:02   #7
Team-BHP Support

I sold my doorless CJ340 to buy a hardtop MM550 with AC and more powerful engine. In fact, it was sold against GTO's advice. Eventually I came to regret it. Now it is my turn to give the same advice.

The hardtop Jeep which I switched into, never gave me the same satisfaction, even though it addressed all my needs of safety, AC, speed, etc. It just gave a very low-quality SUVish feeling. So I sold it after couple years. After reading Jaggu's review of Thar, I don't think the new Thar will change that situation.

The CL340 Classic is an Icon, and is a very unique vehicle. Only a wrangler with its doors detached can give the same feeling. Soon there will be plenty of new Thars on the road and no one will give a second look. The Classic remains an Icon no matter what. Plus, think of the personal history you have with the Classic. You are probably the longest owner of CL340 Classic Jeep in India, that too as a first owner. You can't buy that claim for any amount.

You don't need the Thar or Classic for any long distance or beater car duty. It is just a fun car for city drive or offroading. In both cases, it will be lot more fun doing it in a small doorless Jeep that let's you soak into the environment around you. You can use a flat bed truck if you want to take it far away for offroading.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th December 2020 at 12:03.
Samurai is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 12:15   #8
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I would like to live with something retro and modern rather than something antique. Better safety, practicality, reliability and comfort is what the Thar offers whereas the Classic would score only nostalgia points. Hence, I voted for the 2021 Thar.

Some thoughts I had on the Classic situation:
-Parking it at your second home/farm/property/office garage.
-Rotate it for display at Mahindra showrooms / events across India.
-Renovation of the drive-way (L-shaped / widening the gate / park lift) to accommodate more cars.
-Placing it in a museum / posh restaurant.
-Auctioning it to a farm / large private property owner? Yours is quite popular in India.
-Stock parts and preserve it. Revive after 10-15 years when its a vintage.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 12:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

If parking is no constraint then keep both. Get the new one and retain the old one.

I am driving the New Thar for the last one month and this morning I took out my Innova AT and boy did I miss my Thar. It grows on you literally within a few days. You are driving one these days. Wait till it goes - you will start missing it. I bet you.
vkochar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 12:32   #10
BHPian

While the New Thar is an advanced, modern day vehicle, it is going to be very common on the roads very soon. Once the initial excitement dies off, it may not retain its novelty like your Classic or in fact the previous gen Thar which are classic Jeeps. Unless, there is a real "need" for the new Thar, my advise for you is to hold on to your "Classic" for more time to come and enjoy those off-road drives, evening/night drives in the city.

You can always buy the New Thar v1, 2 or other iterations later but not your Classic

Swami
swami69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 14:18   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But I'm not sure how much of the Thar's highway manners I'll use as my preferred highway drive is the BMW. Additionally, as I have media cars on several weekends, even the Thar's usage will be limited (although a lot more than the Classic).
As much as I understand the single biggest USP of the 2020 Thar is that it can be enjoyed as a toy / hobby vehicle over the weekends and still be used as a daily through the week. Since this is not important for you why bother splurging 6-10x over the Classic's current monetary value for something you may not use much more than the Classic? And then you get to hold on to the the emotional connect with the Classic as well.

Perhaps use the money saved for the Beemer's upkeep once it is out warranty, or some drool upgrades for the upcoming coupe, both of which I am certain you will spend more time with than the Classic / Thar in the long run.
manson is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 15:32   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a no brainer. Keep the classic as it is one. There are some things that money can't buy and your classic is one of them.

Thar is just like a new girl friend. The charm will wear of after first few rides and then you will remember your old friends.
khan_sultan is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 16:09   #13
Team-BHP Support

Voted for classic since you will not be able to get one once you sell it. It is really a classic and you have a very good piece with you. Regarding paper work, best to speak to RTO and seek advice on options.

Coming back the new Thar you can buy anytime, after driving it I really did not think it is worth so much money. I would rather retain the classic and get a preowned new Thar down a year or so. Am pretty sure new adopters who get enlightened would soon put it in the pre-owned market.

Just to add... the excitement that I felt when I test drove the first gen Thar at it's preview was just not there with the all-new Thar. It has somehow become more car-like than a true blue modern jeep, add to it, that the diesel engine was pretty mediocre at best.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th December 2020 at 16:23.
Jaggu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 16:31   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Irrespective of whether you get a Thar, please find a way to retain the Classic. It's not going to be easy I agree, but you have a piece of India's modern automotive history.

I have read you mention on various threads parking may not be an issue in your case, so don't swap it out with a new Thar. Maybe keep both.

Hope you retain her!
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 16:37   #15
BHPian

I suggested 2021.

My reasons have nothing to do with money or maintenance headaches.

Reasons:

1. You've thoroughly enjoyed the Classic 24 years now and made hundreds of memories, and that happened because the Classic offered you the best-in-class off-roading capabilities and style (in India). Now, does that USP has been trumped, so, it is unlikely you're going to use it like you did (the real reason you love it). So, let it go and let someone else enjoy it and build new memories, instead of you feeling sad every time you look at it parked because you aren't driving it enough.

2. In these 24 years, our roads have become more congested, faster and dangerous, why keep a vehicle that you wouldn't feel safe driving. (the fact that your other steed is like a tank, will only accentuate this feeling every time you drive the Classic)

Easy test - on any given day if you feel like driving the Classic do you go ahead and pick up its keys, or do you check for weather, distance to go, attire you're wearing before deciding? If former, keep the Classic.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks