Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2020, 17:51   #1
BHPian

Is the MG Hector Plus (Petrol Auto) a good city & highway car for a family of two and four dogs?

So, here's the lowdown.

We (my better half and I) have always had two hatchbacks. Her much-beloved 2004 Alto (which is currently going through a complete overhaul which I'll probably cover in a separate thread) and my Celerio which introduced me to the miracle of automatics. I pre-empted this work from home trend by many years. The Celerio has therefore seen very little tarmac per se - less than 30k in 6 years. Half of that was by the better half (TBH) for commuting when she had to get through bad traffic. Between the two of us, we probably don't do more than 12,000 kms a year. We've had other cars in the family - Honda City, Corolla, etc. She actually really loves to drive so this is her quest for a new car which satisfies some of our current requirements.

Now, the considerations.

Space: Our family has grown. By a lot. We now have 4 fur babies - two Beagles, a Retriever and a Great Dane.

Even ordinarily, they would be tough to fit in a single car. But it is compounded by a couple of things. Our Dane is a horrible traveller - insanely nervous. She loves climbing into a car but then freaks out when it begins to move. The mental image of a Dane trying to clamber over the seats and into the driver's lap might be hilarious, but its downright dangerous when on a highway. So, in short, she needs a whole space to herself. An entire row probably. Our Retriever has a bunch of conditions and therefore isn't great at keeping his own balance. He will probably best be on the floor of a backseat so theres no danger of him falling off. Which leaves two beagles - the older an absolutely wonderful traveller who usually rides shotgun all curled up, and the younger who swings between quietly sulking, peering out of the windows interestedly and trying to climb all over everyone and everything.

So, we are looking at a vehicle with 3 rows. Or two rows with a very large boot.

Drivability: This is going to be TBH's commuter. She is upgrading - this is going to be her daily driver and our highway getaway car too. So, it needs to be convenient to drive particularly in Bangalore traffic. While she has always driven stick shifts, she now really has seen the benefit of automatics. To be used for long distance road trips but not for offroading unless its meant to get us to some particular resort or getaway. Definitely no weekend trail/jeeping experiments. And highway driving needs to be comfy and sprightly, not necessarily super spirited in terms of handling.

Petrol vs diesel and the mileage question: Not particularly important. Don't want something horrific but can easily live with 8-10 kmpl, since its going to be claimable under a lease plan and we don't do more than 12k in a year anyway.

Aesthetics: It needs to be something she likes the look of. Understated. Low on chrome. Nicely styled. Not too overly brute macho (I'm looking at you Mahindra).

Bottomline - no vans! They are neither great for commuting nor are they particularly her style, to put it mildly.

Budget: Somewhat flexible but we were looking at anything from 18-30L. We could've even gone higher if we found something perfect but this was the large ballpark.

Vehicles considered in the elimination process and reasons for it.

Skoda Karoq: Stunning! Absolutely stunning!! Particularly in black. We spotted it in the metal in a car park and couldn't stop ogling. Were hoping that the absence of the 3rd row could be offset by the slightly largish boot (the Brit ad for which shows a beagle so it seemed to portend good things). Alas, out of stock and no chance at all.

Kia Seltos: Were looking at it but ruled it out entirely after the braking horror stories. That's one thing I refuse to compromise on.

Innova: No vans. And definitely not something great for her daily drive. Not to mention questionable aesthetics for a self-driven car.

Volkswagen Tiguan All Space: Beautiful looking car. Little overwhelming to sit in. Very tiny third row. And the price on road would've come to 42L - more than we planned, without necessarily ticking all the boxes. And 5-6 kmpl for a car that costs that much without being perfectly certain that this was it ruled it out.

Mahindra XUV500: Not fond of the aesthetics myself. Somewhat agricultural 'mahindra-ness' and definitely something she didn't like at all. Plus on the cusp of the release of a new model.

Fortuner/Endeavour/Gloster: Briefly considered but frankly it was too much (features vs requirements and size). Pricewise we could probably have gone there considering they are pretty much in the ballpark of the Karoq which we had budgeted for so that wasn't really a consideration. But the latest generation of these cars is just too monstrous in size for comfy daily driving in traffic IMO. And none of their offloading capabilities and suchlike were even relevant to us. So out.

Tata Harrier: I had considered it but frankly never got around to trying it out. We've had two Indica's in the past. Highly dependable sure but even with everything Tata's managed to do in the recent past I'm not sure I yet want to own one at 20L, particularly given the ASS complaints.

Why the MG Hector Plus

We called for a test drive. Got the Hector and then drove to the showroom where we saw the Plus. Really like the way it looks. All the razzle dazzle has been toned down. Far more understated than the regular Hector. The ash grey is really stunning. Honestly, I haven't seen such a good looking car in a while. The pics don't do it justice. And the tan seats offsetting the grey really work well.

For such a large vehicle it was spectacularly easy to drive! Honestly we didn't expect that. You can adjust the front seat nice and tall. Tilt and rake adjustable steering make it work perfectly. Another thing I didn't expect was being able to actually see the left side of the bonnet - a result of design language that has long since been abandoned in general (or so I thought). Within one drive (we drove about 10 kms to the showroom, took another variant out for another 5-7 kms and then drove another 10 kms back home) to the showroom, we felt absolutely at home. It was incredibly easy. The notorious rubber band effect that Ive read so much about didn't seem particularly evident. Sport mode resulted in a nice surge and even without it, it was sprightly enough. Really didn't feel like we were driving a large MUV. The captain seats and the third row allow us enough configurations with our crazy pack. Good safety stuff, hill descent and hold modes, etc all completed our requirements. And whatever anybody else says, that sensor which opens the boot at the swing of a leg is just darn cool! Kinda useful for the likes of me who likes to load up the mountain bike before heading to the trails. Mileage seems to be about 8-10 kmpl which is fine by us.

So, what do you guys think? Any serious other contenders I might've missed looking at? Any reservations about the Hector Plus Auto?

On a separate note, this is going to be on a lease plan. Should I go with the standard insurance offered by the dealer (some 70k per year) or are there better providers out there? I'm looking for zero depreciation. I've heard of digit but don't really know anything about it. In the past I've had ICICI Lombard which has been super easy to claim so I just stuck with it but I'm happy to know more about recent trends.

Cheers,

RT

Last edited by RT13 : 22nd December 2020 at 18:00.
RT13 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 18:08   #2
BHPian

re: Is the MG Hector Plus (Petrol Auto) a good city & highway car for a family of two and four dogs?

Hi RT, congrats on the BIG family! I think the Hector plus suits you to a T. You know your requirements well, and its clear from your detailed post that this vehicle meets them. So go ahead!

But before you do, please take a long-ish test drive with your fur babies too! You'll get to know more about the car's behaviour and whether it fits your pets.

Best of luck!
digitalnirvana is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 18:08   #3
BHPian

re: Is the MG Hector Plus (Petrol Auto) a good city & highway car for a family of two and four dogs?

Hi Dog-lover,

I can only imagine the furry life that you live. To be honest, I wish I could drive with your family members for my life. It'll be so PAW-esome.

Anyways, getting to your query, I stopped reading mid-way! I almost had the answer but then I saw your NO-NO - VANS! Though my suggestion is very van-like, opens its doors for your furries in a rather sliding manner and the space inside resembles a 1 BHK apartment. On the contrary, drivers very well, has a great reputation on-road, fits your budget (atleast the lower end variants), and most importantly she'll have a full flat area to rest and the other one will get her own row of seats!

Its the KIA Carnival!

You may call it a pass, since its too big and the Hector is actually the second best option to this.

Happy Moto-shopping!
~NA
na_agrawal is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 18:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
But before you do, please take a long-ish test drive with your fur babies too! You'll get to know more about the car's behaviour and whether it fits your pets.
Thanks man. That would be a good idea but I'm pretty sure they (the MG dealers) aren't going to be delighted at the thought of fur all over their car which these days they have to sanitise after every drive too. I feel for them. Besides, if this was between the Hector and another contender it could certainly be the deal maker/breaker but I haven't even got another option to weigh it against so I guess I'll just have to take my chances

Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
Hi Dog-lover,

I can only imagine the furry life that you live. To be honest, I wish I could drive with your family members for my life. It'll be so PAW-esome.

Its the KIA Carnival!
Haha! Thanks man. Someday maybe we'll drive together

The Kia is certainly a great vehicle and meets our packs' requirements but my better half definitely isn't going to like commuting in it. She barely likes looking at vans, let alone getting in them, let alone owning one and driving it every day. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd December 2020 at 18:58. Reason: Back to back posts merged
RT13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 18:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Are the dogs going to be using the seats or are you planning to tumble the seats to make the floor flat? It may be worth waiting for the 7 seater which will offer more flexibility both with the seats up or with the flat floor.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 19:17   #6
AYP
Senior - BHPian

You seem to be smitten by the Hector Plus. I'd suggest you to go ahead.

However, the upcoming XUV 500 should also work for your set of requirements. If you don't mind waiting another 4-5 months, that is the one I'd suggest. It is supposed to launch with higher powered engines(especially the petrol) when compared to the Hector. And since it is going to be launched with a diesel automatic as well, you will practically have 2 new choices to pick from, i.e. the XUV 500 petrol automatic and the XUV 500 diesel automatic.

Last edited by AYP : 22nd December 2020 at 19:20.
AYP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 19:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Since you already have an Alto and Celerio, I guess you are not averse to evaluating another Maruti. So, please do check out the XL6 Automatic, it might fit your requirements.
comfortablynumb is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 21:50   #8
Team-BHP Support

Have you considered the good old Toyota Innova ? I would also suggest a used CRV also.

The MG Hector is okay but the 1.5 petrol engine is a bit insipid
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 22:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hector may be a handful in Bangalore traffic and fuel efficiency (petrol) may not be that great (8-10 kmpl is rather optimistic by Hector standards, I think, may be owners can pitch in).

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd December 2020 at 05:02. Reason: Rude bits deleted
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 22:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Are the dogs going to be using the seats or are you planning to tumble the seats to make the floor flat? It may be worth waiting for the 7 seater which will offer more flexibility both with the seats up or with the flat floor.
Good point and it is a consideration given that the new one will be launched in a couple of weeks or thereabouts. Having said which, the puppers will not be together. They need to be separated given the description above. So no flat space required. In fact the bucket seats are probably better suited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
You seem to be smitten by the Hector Plus. I'd suggest you to go ahead.

However, the upcoming XUV 500 should also work for your set of requirements. If you don't mind waiting another 4-5 months, that is the one I'd suggest. It is supposed to launch with higher powered engines(especially the petrol) when compared to the Hector. And since it is going to be launched with a diesel automatic as well, you will practically have 2 new choices to pick from, i.e. the XUV 500 petrol automatic and the XUV 500 diesel automatic.
‘Smitten’ is an overstatement. Probably true of our reaction when we saw the Karoq. However you’re absolutely right. The new versions of the XUV 500 would’ve definitely been a consideration except for the fact I’m not willing to wait. And the spy shots seem to show a body shape that I don’t like so it doesn’t seem worth it. 6 months from now however we may need a second upgrade and it may very well be on the list then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Since you already have an Alto and Celerio, I guess you are not averse to evaluating another Maruti. So, please do check out the XL6 Automatic, it might fit your requirements.
Oh for sure. I love Maruti Suzuki for its absolute reliability, second only to Honda. But for this one we’re looking for something rather nicer than the XL6. Thanks for the suggestion though. It too is on the list for the second upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Have you considered the good old Toyota Innova ? I would also suggest a used CRV also.

The MG Hector is okay but the 1.5 petrol engine is a bit insipid
Don’t know if you read the full post but no vans mate. And I respect the Innova for what it is but definitely doesn’t qualify as a great daily self-driven commuter. The 1.5 petrol on paper may seem insipid but the turbo gives us more than enough. I think in real world conditions it does the job unless you fancy yourself a bit of a dragger The CRV would’ve been great. HUGE fan of Honda! Not a fan of how they seem to have lost the plot a bit. My Dad’s 2009 City is going strong and the engine is so damn sweet that we have zero intention of replacing it. It’s so good that every time we do the pollution certificate, the guy repeats it twice because he can’t believe how clean it is. Alas, they seem to have ignored the CRV. Would’ve loved a new version of it eyes closed.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd December 2020 at 05:03. Reason: Quoted text and reply deleted
RT13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 09:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

To be honest, an Innova will be an easier daily drive than a MG Hector.

If you are ruling out the Innova because of the ease of drive for the MG, then you should try to drive both cars back to back.
2000rpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:04   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
So, what do you guys think? Any serious other contenders I might've missed looking at? Any reservations about the Hector Plus Auto?

On a separate note, this is going to be on a lease plan. Should I go with the standard insurance offered by the dealer (some 70k per year) or are there better providers out there? I'm looking for zero depreciation. I've heard of digit but don't really know anything about it. In the past I've had ICICI Lombard which has been super easy to claim so I just stuck with it but I'm happy to know more about recent trends.

Cheers,

RT
You seem to have done all the homework (TD available options, taking a long TD of the preferred choice, research on the maintenance and FE on the Hector) and have already found the perfect choice. The only thing that you could possibly do now is take another TD with your furry friends and drive it on your regular routes, congested roads and heavy traffic to see how easy it will be to live with a Hector. Mind you, Hector is a big car.

Go ahead and book one in your favourite shade. Unless you are willing to wait for that black Skoda....

For insurance, look up the quotes on a couple of insurance websites and then ask the dealer to match the same quote. They will oblige.

Last edited by ashis89 : 23rd December 2020 at 10:06.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:32   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

IMHO, the Hector is perfectly suited to your specific requirements. Loads of space, and your pets will also appreciate its soft + comfy ride quality. Pets will be happy at the back, you guys will be happy at the front with the gizmos, comfort & ease of driving.

The Hector will be a massive upgrade from your current cars. And again, the soft ride quality will be appreciated by your fur babies more than you + your wife who are strapped into a comfortable seat.

I had a 400 km road-trip in the Hector and enjoyed the drive, as did my family. It's a myth that fun-to-drive means sharp handling or 200 BHP. Cruising in the Hector is a different kind of fun.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:58   #14
Team-BHP Support

Not to confuse you further but any reason why you can't keep the Celerio AMT and get a highway car? That way, you don't have to worry about how this new car is as a daily driver for her.

You've mentioned you're getting the Alto over-hauled. Do you intend to sell that? And Celerio as well? And this sale is a big factor in your current budget? With our kind of traffic, a one-size-fits-all vehicle is rather difficult; do consider retaining the Celerio and check if other options open up.
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
If you are ruling out the Innova because of the ease of drive for the MG, then you should try to drive both cars back to back.
Wow! Really?? I honestly can't say I saw that coming. I've done tons of time in chauffeured Innovas on work and it seemed great for what it was but I never ever felt inclined to even try driving it. And since I saw a few reviews which indicated that the Hector had considerably lighter steering, is quieter and easier to drive even in the diesel manual version, I didn't think the turbo petrol auto would even be a contest. I found the automatic ridiculously easy to drive and super light in traffic. Plus, the van thing is something the better half definitely doesn't want as a daily driver (I don't drive on a daily basis but if I did I too might be somewhat put off by the idea). Also, Toyota's recent org behaviour seems to indicate they are either going to pull out of the market or definitely reduce focus. Which is sad because they have always produced superb cars and truly understand the science of traffic and urban movement, unlike *cough cough* certain close regional cousins who understand the Indian consumer psyche better and choose to focus on that instead. Having said all of which, I might do that test drive just out of curiosity now. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Mind you, Hector is a big car. Go ahead and book one in your favourite shade. Unless you are willing to wait for that black Skoda....

For insurance, look up the quotes on a couple of insurance websites and then ask the dealer to match the same quote. They will oblige.
Indeed it is big. And considering neither of us have driven SUVs, we were blown away at how easy it was to drive. Definitely didn't feel as big as it is. I think the driving position has a lot to do with it. I've found a Ciaz tougher to drive than this. Even the City has me thinking a lot more about clearance on the left side and space to slip through traffic. This was really a surprise. Sadly, apparently there is no indication that Skoda is considering new stock of the Karoq even in the next financial year so don't want to put it off just on hope. Insurance - thanks, I will try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Pets will be happy at the back, you guys will be happy at the front with the gizmos, comfort & ease of driving.

The Hector will be a massive upgrade from your current cars. And again, the soft ride quality will be appreciated by your fur babies more than you + your wife who are strapped into a comfortable seat.

I had a 400 km road-trip in the Hector and enjoyed the drive, as did my family. It's a myth that fun-to-drive means sharp handling or 200 BHP. Cruising in the Hector is a different kind of fun.
Thank you! Yes, its an upgrade no doubt. We've put it off by many years because of various reasons (my interests shifted from cars to bikes and then bicycles so..). I'm more a sedan guy in general (or used to be) and still am a die-hard fan of Honda and its exquisite engines but the better half likes bigger SUVesque cars so this seems a good middle ground, given how nicely it seems to drive. Besides, I find now that 20L doesn't get you what 10L did 10 years ago. I'm rather amazed at the somewhat slim pickins in the 20-35L range tbh. It seems like if you want to move from an 18L car, other than a couple of options, you need to look north of 40. Which is an unusual gap in any consumer market. The Hector certainly seemed so easy to drive which was the biggest surprise. And the captain seats mean that our little Beagirl who is used to curling up and riding shotgun with the driver might very well continue to do so while the other sits in the back with the rest. Thanks for that bit about 'fun-to-drive' - I've always found that such a loose phrase. We certainly won't be carving corners in this but when i need my adrenalin fix, I'll just roll out my downhill mountain bike and hit a trail pointing south of a hill

Cheers!

Hmmmmmm..... It appears the headline of the post has been changed by a mod and frankly the new one doesn't reflect my actual question.

To clarify, obviously it can comfortably carry our 4 dogs. That wasn't even in doubt.

The question is twofold - is there another vehicle that can better double as a daily driver and highway vehicle for the two of us and our pack of four AND is there any serious reason to write the Hector Plus off as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Not to confuse you further but any reason why you can't keep the Celerio AMT and get a highway car? That way, you don't have to worry about how this new car is as a daily driver for her.
Ah. I understand the confusion. To be clear, the Celerio is staying for the moment. I might very well swap it for a Skoda Rapid or a Duster or summat, as I rather like these turbo petrols. But that'll be over the next year or so. We will also hold on to the Alto which is being overhauled for sentimental reasons. And also because I still find that little thing is the handiest little car in traffic. Having said which, this particular purchase is hers and she's going to be driving it on a daily basis. She's always liked big SUVish vehicles but we don't want to go the Fortuner route because it seems over the top.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th December 2020 at 19:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged
RT13 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks