Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Tata Harrier 316 56.63%
Hyundai Creta 45 8.06%
Kia Seltos 107 19.18%
MG Hector 5 0.90%
Mahindra XUV500 10 1.79%
Jeep Compass 67 12.01%
Other (please specify in your post) 8 1.43%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2020, 16:43   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier Automatic vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others

Voted for Tata Harrier AT.

Rugged, awesome road presence. Its a perfect SUV and a sure head turner.

Tata Harrier is based on OMEGA platform similar to that of Land Rover's Discovery Sport.

Though its 4X2 it performs seamlessly in light off-road conditions as it is FWD.

The Tata Harrier also comes with some of the best safety features on demand. Starting with the six airbags on the top-end variant, the Tata Harrier gets ABS+EBD, Corner Stability Control, Roll-Over Mitigation, ISOFIX child seat mounts, parking aids (sensors and camera) and Electronic Stability Program (ESP).
Sasanka_Sanga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 16:46   #62
BHPian

Voted for Seltos, as that looks like balanced in terms of looks, features, performance and price.

The sales numbers of Creta/Seltos would be high compared to other options as they get lot of cross buyers from first time sedan buyers or those who are looking to upgrade to SUV-like vehicle at a decent price.

Harrier is suffering due to the Tata logo (ownership), else it has all the ingredients to succeed, and shows clearly in this enthusiasts forum.

Jeep Compass, although closest to my heart, lost out due to Fiat's attitude. I feel Fiat has deadlocked themselves, customers want a price correction but Fiat isn't budging. So customers (including me) are walking away as the other products are equally competitive, and each alternative has their own strength.
streetfighter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 16:56   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post

Jeep Compass, although closest to my heart, lost out due to Fiat's attitude. I feel Fiat has deadlocked themselves, customers want a price correction but Fiat isn't budging. So customers (including me) are walking away as the other products are equally competitive, and each alternative has their own strength.
True that. I enquired about the Compass Ltd Plus AT variants in petrol and diesel. There are no discounts on offer, and the 80K offer is for the Longitude/Plus variants. Does Jeep expect customers to pick up a Seltos sized car with 2 airbags only for 22-23 lac , whilst also lacking other nice-to-have features?
fhdowntheline is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 17:02   #64
BHPian

We are comparing SUVs here and not crossovers ! The two which really stand out for me are Tata Harrier & the Jeep Compass. They have a complete SUV appeal with powerful 170 BHP Deisel engines mated to excellent ATs and begging to be driven hard and rough. It would be a difficult choice for me between the two, but here I voted for the Harrier. Having worked earlier for a Tata company for 14 years, I have experienced first-hand their corporate culture and business ethics and this for me is very important in making a final product selection.

Last edited by Timothy : 21st August 2020 at 17:04.
Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 17:22   #65
Senior - BHPian

Actually the distinction between SUVs and crossovers in this Indian context is blurred. The only proper "SUV" that should ever be considered by that token is the Compass Trailhawk, for whatever its worth with its 4WD- Low ratio, articulation and approach/departure and break over angles. And then further on with the new Thar, the 4wd Fortuner/Endeavor/Alturas/MUX (whenever it comes in BS6).

The rest of the cars are capable crossovers or pseudo SUVs, more former than latter, considering bad-road or rough road potential. Besides, these will also be used only in the urban/semi urban environment most of the time. So the focus would be on space, comfort, performance, features, safety, reliability and service. In that context, Harrier seems to be the sentimental favourite, while Seltos seems to be the practical favourite as a well-rounded product.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 21st August 2020 at 17:23.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 20:21   #66
BHPian

Voted for the Harrier. When you drive an XUV 5OO, there are only few mainstream cars that command respect on Indian roads, and only one from this list..it's the Harrier. This poll will hopefully materialize into a personal dilemma 1 or 2 years down the lane and I have already started doing my homework for the same.

Back then, I waited for the Harrier launch with bated breath, only to be disappointed with the half baked product that Tata managed to launch. Just like team-bhp had predicted, Tata have ironed out the niggles and the 2020 Harrier AT is a much better overall package.

The Seltos is a very compelling package. Looks awesome, drives tight, the very polished cabin with features that are seldom seen in even luxury cars.
I can see how it is GTO-san's favorite choice here. It's really hard to fault this car...such a well-rounded package. For a middle class Indian buyer who is always used to compromises when on the look out for a new car, Kia has delivered and how!

Hated the Creta when it came out. The new design looked revolting. And then I came to see one in person and it didn't look half as bad. The top end SX(O) diesel with those gorgeous alloys, especially in the darker shades slowly clawed its way into my heart. It's the same car as the Seltos, with a different design philosophy inside and out, and some differences in feature distribution. If there was one thing that pulled me towards the Creta, it had to be those paddle shifters. Ever since I saw Jason Statham tugging at the paddles of that black Lamborghini Murcielago roadster in Transporter 2, I had developed a fetish for them. The ones on the Creta wont come even close to that, I know, but I love the extra dimension of driving that paddles allow. It's also a shame that Seltos being the more driver-centric Korean here misses out on these.

As for the Hector, I like the bling and wow factor it offers for the money. But the driving side of it isn't too well sorted. A relaxed family cruiser is what the Hector is.

Jeep Compass..a fantastic product and an enthusiast's dream. But at the current price levels, especially when comparing to its competitors, the premium it commands cannot be justified.

I already own an XUV5OO. The W7 AT that I bought 2 years back was brilliant value for money. But it's starting to show its age. I'm sure Mahindra is going to come out with all guns blazing with the next generation. Waiting for that!

And then back to the Harrier again. It's a solid vehicle with the basics sorted out rather well. A car should primarily be...a car (duh!) and then a gadget. but it's the second part that the Harrier falters in. Especially when compared to the Koreans and MG. Forget the Connected apps like UVO and bluelink, 360 degree camera, paddle shifters, air purifier, HUD (all of these which I secretly wish that Tata brings along), even the quality of the rear view camera leaves you wanting for more. These are things that immediately grab a potential customer's attention when entering the car. An average consumer is oblivious to the cornering ABS or off road ABS or even the 14 ESP modes. He enters into an MG and his eyes are glued to that huge screen. He marvels at the 360 degree camera in a Kia Seltos. He fails miserably trying to convince himself to buy a Harrier, while sitting and gazing through the panoramic sunroof in a Creta. Heck! Even I have been there. That's why I believe there's a stark contrast between the poll results in our forum vs real world sales figures. And then there are the A.S.S stories. Forget after sales, even during pre-sales, the Tata salesmen that I encountered were busy stating how the Endeavour and Fortuner owners are flocking to buy the Harrier, with a tinge of 'Take it and go (supposed to be read in a Russell Peters tone)'. The salesmen ego are writing cheques the company just can't cash. All these factors lure me away from betting on a Harrier with my own money.

And as soon as I finished writing this, a dark edition Harrier arrives majestically hovering into the parking area...and I wish...I had one!
GKR9900 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 21:06   #67
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the MG Hector. My priorities being-

1) Great cruiser
2) Punchy engine (Diesel)
3) Spacious
4) Great road presence
5) Feature rich
6) NVH
7) Ease of driving in all enviornments (On Road)

Hector is brilliant in all these.

2nd in my list would be the XUV500. The next generation model, I hope will be much better than all current alternatives.

Considering only Manuals.

That said, IMO, Seltos, Creta should not be compared with Hector,Harrier and XUV.
My current steed is a Ecosport S. IMO Seltos, Creta don't feel much of an upgrade as compared to Ecosport S.

Last edited by 07CR : 21st August 2020 at 21:09.
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 23:24   #68
BHPian

Voted for the Seltos automatic in the GTX+ trim only.
Has the full safety kit, a solid build quality and arguably looks the best among all of them (Harrier is very close though).

If one has heavy city usage, the Seltos/Creta are a perfect size especially in cities like Mumbai where space comes at a premium.
Vedant Gupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 23:24   #69
BHPian

It is TATA Harrier for me!

It ticks almost all the box for an enthusiast check list. Tata missed the opportunity to make it a success in the first opportunity. I personally want Harrier to a be success, TATA has improved a lot, its no more a TAXI(Sumo and Indica) car company. When I want to change my Ertiga, Harrier will be the one I will first checkout.
Old 21st August 2020, 23:29   #70
BHPian

Voted for the Harrier. I loved the styling of the Gen-1 and the 2020 version has only made it better. Space-wise it's a size above Creta and Seltos. But Compass would've been my 1st choice had the price was some-lakhs lower. I didn't quite like the Hector and the XUV-500 is getting long in the tooth.

Now, if only there was a 5-door version of the 2020-Thar, how the poll rankings would've changed !!!
Old 22nd August 2020, 00:47   #71
BHPian

It's the Harrier for me. The dark edition is just another level beast when compared to others in the list. Would not have voted for it if it was for the manual Avatar though.
Oranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 05:05   #72
Senior - BHPian

Harrier, it is!

While the others in the list are extremely competitive with segment best feature list, it lacks the real SUV characters. IMHO, I’d say Harrier / Compass has that mettle of an SUV along with strong 2L diesel, while others are wearing their suites from an SUV closet. Not degrading any of the competition but the real SUV are these 2. They seem a lot raw and pack that punch except Harrier is missing a 4WD.

Regards

RV
Old 22nd August 2020, 08:10   #73
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
What are your thoughts on the DPF issues if driving is primarily in city?
If your DPF is getting blocked primarily because of short-commute city driving, it only means one thing = GET A LIFE (sorry, no offence meant ).

- Go for a long drive on the highway .

- If no time for highway, go for a long drive in the city @ higher speeds. E.g. in Mumbai, it could be the Sea Link & Freeway. In Bangalore, it could be the airport road.

- Give the car an Italian tune-up from time to time (sample video below).

After all, as BHPians, we live to drive! So go out, and drive for the pleasure of it. Tell the wife that "my DPF needs it".

GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 09:46   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Give the car an Italian tune-up from time to time (sample video below) After all, as BHPians, we live to drive! So go out, and drive for the pleasure of it.
This is just what I've been doing last couple of months, 80% of my drives during the period were just for the sake of driving and for 'Italian tune-up' ! Yes my car spots the Tbhp LTD sticker, need to do justice to it . Needless to say it has a DPF too.

All idling and no 'drive' makes you and your car a dull boy. I feel, If you don't keep your engine in good spirits, it would turn lethargic too, like us humans .

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 22nd August 2020 at 09:52.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 12:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the new Harrier AT. Whenever this red number wafts past, I just can't take my eyes off the beast. It's like an eye magnet. Flawless AT, brilliant music system, great handling and presence, sunroof, premium interiors, etc leave a great mark on the urban buyer. Hats off Tata Motors, you did it this time!
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks