Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Hyundai Venue 98 18.08%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 29 5.35%
Mahindra XUV300 62 11.44%
Tata Nexon 137 25.28%
Ford EcoSport 199 36.72%
Honda WR-V 8 1.48%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 1.66%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2019, 13:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue vs the competition

This is the only segment in India which isn’t affected as much by the slowdown, we love our SUVs and it can be seen by the sales charts. I also feel this is the segment where we have capable products from each manufacturer because they understand the importance of this.

I have voted Venue because we are looking for a petrol MT car to replace for 2012 i20 and it fits the bill perfectly for my mother. This will be easiest car to own from the lot.

For my personal use the choices would be:
1. Petrol MT/AT : Ecosport, I love the package and it looks amazing and not like a afterthought
2. Diesel MT: Venue again for that 1.4 Diesel and the mileage I can get from it. Love it’s NVH as well.
3. Diesel AT: Not a single proper contender but might end up picking XUV300.
Old 29th September 2019, 14:36   #17
BHPian

Voted for the Ecosport. While the Venue has all the features a modern day car should have and then some, the hatch like rear propertions and the cramped rear seat are a dealbreaker for me. The Ecosport, IMHO, is the one closest to the sweet spot in term of styling, build quality, engine options, equipment, service quality and pricing.

Would have picked the WR-V if it was available with the 1.5 ivtec. The lackluster engine options are the only achilles heel for the car I think.

Tata Nexon is a worthy product let down by hit or miss service experience. Very negetive sentiments within my extended family against Tata.

Others aren't worth mentioning (no offence to owners) for various reasons thoroughly debated on this forum time and again.
Old 29th September 2019, 14:42   #18
BHPian

I have gone with the Tata Nexon. While Ecosport used to be the poster boy for Sub 4m SUVs, the current facelift has only dragged it back in terms of looks.

Meanwhile, Nexon is definitely funky in terms of looks and especially in its diesel guise, is a tremendous performer. With its VFM and feature laden variants, my vote goes for it.
Old 29th September 2019, 17:43   #19
BHPian

So let's take the single biggest sale point of each car first:

1)Safety: Nexon
2)After Sales: Vitara Brezza
3)Driving Dynamics: Ecosport
4)Gearbox: Venue (DCT)
5)Spaciousness: WR-V
6)Road Presence: XUV300
7)Engines: XUV300 (D), Ecosport (P)

Ultimately it all comes down to what you want out of the car, I personally would love a car with the triad of a Punchy engine, dynamic ride, and a slick manual gearbox.
Hence, Ecosport is the choice for me. Just hope they stop cutting corners and keep shaving off the equipment list from its middle variants ever so quietly.
Starfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 17:59   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Venue for me

Reason : It is such a nice feel-good car, in and out! The quality of materials, fit and finish and Hyundai's ASS

Ecosport is a good product, but looks dated in comparison with the cute little Hyundai. Ford going back to Mahindra for joint venture is another reason to stay away from the little Ford. Nexon is a great package , but minor niggles will always remind you that you are driving a Tata.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 19:11   #21
BHPian

Voted for EcoSport! A worthy package and Titanium is a VFM variant at 11.x L (though sync 3, 60:40 split seat, sunglass holder should have been retained and could have used the opportunity to give cruise control). Brezza is good from maruti but does not give a solid feel like EcoSport or XUV300. XUV300 is too expensive and the interior looks outdated. Venue looks like grand i10 jacked up and too expensive for the size of the car plus Hyundai's usual gimmicks of not emphasizing on safety/efficiency or driving dynamics.

On a side note, Bhpians favor EcoSport (or the best car in a particular segment) but the regular public go with Maruti or Hyundai.

Last edited by jithin23 : 29th September 2019 at 19:13.
Old 30th September 2019, 01:59   #22
BHPian

Do not like any but voted venue for being true to what hyundai offers. premium cabin fit and finish, feature rich While ecosport not staying true to Ford DNA. mediocre steering, horrible A pillar design. Rest of them can, well.. just rest.
Old 30th September 2019, 11:08   #23
BHPian

Voted for Tata Nexon on the poll and with wallet. Been with me for 6 months and quite happy with the choice. Few things I would like to see in the facelift, 6 airbags, Disc brakes, softer suspension etc. Not really fond of auto everything.

When I was out buying a car, I felt Nexon is the best compromise on, Cabin and boot Space, Power, Safety and Features.
Ecosport is more dedicated fun to drive car.
Brezza is too focused on being a Maruti.
WR-V is the most me-too option.
Venue is focused on all the latest tech.
XUV was the most close option for me. The lack of Boot space and high sticker price saw me picking the Nexon over XUV300.
If boot space is not much of a requirement I feel XUV300 is a fantastic option.
aniyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 22:44   #24
BHPian

Ford EcoSport. Ticks all boxes for me: Around 13L Safety, Petrol, AT, Comfortable Driver Seat, among other things. If I had wanted MT, would seriously consider TUV 300.
Old 1st October 2019, 04:06   #25

I have voted for Tata Nexon. It is the most VFM product among these SUVs however i am frustrated with constant feature deletions , the slightly bumpy ride that is on offer.
Ecosport is equally good however the erosion in value over time coupled with Fords inability to add any value proposition is slowly killing the product for me. It would be nice if Ford can do an actual update to the product with some new value propositions.

I am in the market for an SUV/Cross over but overtime felt like its worth upgrading to a segment above ( XUV500/Hexa) even if that means spending a little extra.
PeregrineFalcon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 05:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nexon! Having spent two years with Tata Nexon we have come to love it dearly. It's dependable (everything remain intact), frugal (returned 24KMPL on my inter-city drive), stylish (stands out among its peers), spacious (easily accommodates five and ample luggage) and is the safest in the segment (with a 5 Star Global NCAP rating). It also marks the ascent of India's most trusted brand - Tata, into a league of contemporaries...rubbing shoulders with global products like the Ford Ecosport, Suzuki Brezza, Mahindra XUV 300 and Hyundai Venue.
Old 1st October 2019, 08:08   #27
BHPian

Voted for Nexon and with my wallet as well.

Nexon I felt was the best compromise that did most things well at a good price and that's what mattered to me. The design though overdone is still ok to live with especially in some variants. The diesel auto is a really good car unlike the brezza auto which was pathetic.
Old 1st October 2019, 18:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the Hyundai Venue Diesel today for my cousin.

Looks good in real, TD car was white, other colors might look even better. Tyres were proportionate with respect to body size.

Stepped Inside, All Black cabin felt premium but there are no premium bits inside cabin. No soft touch plastics, no leather clad armrest etc. Fit & finish felt very good.

Next Started the car and the engine was barely audible, found this surprising because in my i20, you can hear the engine. Maybe Hyundai have given extra padding for Improved NVH.

Engine performance was okay, nothing to write home about. Nexon & XUV5OO are clearly better. Steering like most Hyundai's was dead with no feel. Brakes felt average, they don't have bite like Nexon. Even my non ABS brakes of Tiago feels better.

Ride quality is where things started to take a turn, I felt every bump, potholes, etc throughout the drive. The high tyre pressure might be the reason for this.

Next, took back seat and felt space to be adequate. Point to note is that my cousin is just 5'6" while I am 6'1". The driver seat was much ahead, hence the rear seat felt ok. Even in back, the ride wasn't good.

So, what I liked in Venue are pretty much like other Hyundai's. It is Stylish, Interiors are good, NVH is excellent, it is feature packed, and priced decently.

Engine performance, Ride, Handling, Brakes, Comfort is where it felt inferior compared to XUV5OO & Nexon.

Post Test drive, enquired about Variant and color availability, with market slack I expected Venue to be available easily, yes I know it's in demand and has waiting but with Lesser popular variants in some not so unusual colors should be available but it wasn't the case here.

Enquired about the Deep Forest color which is my pick in Venue, the Salesperson said that Hyundai is not dispatching them that color. He said that Diesel Venue can be had in Red/White/Blue colors depending on variant choice.

It is cheaper than XUV5OO, but costlier than Nexon. So, what do you guys think. I have also checked Nexon but yet to drive it.

Problem with Nexon is that I doubt it'll be a trouble free ownership experience.

I have faced some serious problems with my Tiago, although they are common, but till they were rectified I had to use my dad's very reliable Honda Brio. What a terrific underrated yet very capable car. I doubt if we'll ever see a car like it. Absolutely loved driving it on day to day basis for 18 days. My i20 feels very average compared to Brio post driving it. I don't want same thing to happen with Venue.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd October 2019 at 07:48. Reason: As requested
CarguyNish is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 20:12   #29
BHPian

OK, a weird question but nevertheless I'm asking it

I have been in the market for a new car (definitely not a small one) and was always a tad confused between EcoSport and Venue. Test drove both of them and both were good. Ford's recent exit helped settle matters for Venue but then the car seems a tad small for 14 large (OTR in Bangalore).
Why not IVT Seltos HTX petrol? For a 3L additional I get a pretty good bigger car, a bigger engine, peace of mind for trips out of town and in general, i reiterate, a bigger car.
But then if you look at the power and torque figures of the engine, both 1.0L Turbo and 1.5L are the same!

Questions against Venue are:
1. Isn't smaller engine delivering higher power figures susceptible to failure?
2. Isn't IVT (or fancy CVT) better than DCT considering transmission heating issues in DCT, etc.?

Questions against Seltos are:
1. Bigger car with same power figures as Venue will obviously not be as peppy to drive. CVT is known for its rubber band effect.
2. It'll be a chore to drive a much bigger car within the Bangalore city traffic on a regular basis.
Any suggestions (explain it like you'd do to a 7 year old)

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 1st October 2019 at 20:12. Reason: paragraph spacing
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 12:05   #30
BHPian

I would pick the Creta Petrol AT all day, any day and everyday ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks