Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Hyundai Venue 98 18.08%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 29 5.35%
Mahindra XUV300 62 11.44%
Tata Nexon 137 25.28%
Ford EcoSport 199 36.72%
Honda WR-V 8 1.48%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 1.66%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 06:40   #181
Team-BHP Support

Re: Writing first time for advice on first car

Welcome to the forum!

This being your first car, with a comfortable budget of 12L which can be stretched, and your plan to keep this car for a long time, I would suggest you to get a new car, get the maximum possible extended warranty and enjoy the car and peace of mind.

You should also mention your preference of fuel and manual/AT so that others can give you proper suggestions.

With Mumbai traffic in mind, I would suggest you go for an AT.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 09:03   #182
Senior - BHPian

I would have suggested a used car, but since your are planning to get married, I think its good to have a new car at home for the Marriage ceremonies like barath

I think buying an entry level of Creta or Seltos will be ideal for you. The car will do everything that you need for 10 years atleast.

Nexon is also a good option and you will get the top end in your budget. But I dont expect Nexon to be niggle free and will fetch a very low resale value after 7-8 years.

In the used car, I would say go for a used S-Cross, since you are used to a Maruti ownership. Going from a Maruti to VW / Skoda can be a rough transition.

Stay away from hatches, since you go to base camps with your car. With a CSUV, you will be more confident going on such trails!
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:32   #183
S2K
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Welcome to the forum S2K. I hope you have a pleasant stay. Looking forward to reading your TLs once you get a new set of wheels.

Firstly, having a thread on this sub-forum can help you get a lot of answers. More views = more answers.
Also, be sure to include factors like:
1. Fuel type preference
2. Transmission Preference
3. Estimated Annual Mileage and City:Highway split
4. Space requirements
...and any other specific requirement(s)

Secondly, good move on being open to used cars as you can save a ton of $$$. I don't want to make this a "What-car" thread, but from the frugal i20 diesel to the explosive S-Cross diesel, you do have a lot of options when you're open to both new and used cars. Also, go through these threads for some solid advice on how to buy a used car:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...-used-car.html (ARTICLE: Buying a New Car vs Used Car)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...wned-cars.html (The 'not-so-obvious' advantages to buying pre-owned cars)

Pick a good car, get it inspected, and then enjoy!

Cheers and good luck!
Thanks landcruiser123!
To mention some preferences you pointed out -
  1. No particular preference for fuel. Fine with both but more comfortable with petrol since my usage is going to be fluctuating and overall run per month will seldom exceed 1k KMs.
  2. No preference for transmission as well. I have driven extensively only the manual and have found it to be comfortable to drive even in traffic once you find the sweet spot in driving position. Automatics offer the comfort which I am not sure I would be interested in paying premium for.
    Also having experienced Nexon AMT both on highway and traffic in car pool over last year, I don't have any issue with it either.
    However, I will definitely think a lot before going for the Venue DCT considering the heating issues it has in stop and go traffic. But again, I find the premium over manual high and would prefer manual anyway.
    Not experienced the iMT yet, but don't like the concept and would want either a complete involved drive or a complete automatic one.
  3. I am assuming my annual mileage to be around 8-10k KMs with city:highway:bad roads split of about 60:30:10 (bad roads are part of highways under construction, and the construction of whole stretch in patches is gonna take infinite time )
  4. The car is gonna be used as a bachelor's car for while, as a couple's car for some part and as a family car as well, especially if I am keeping it for longer duration. Want 4 people to seat comfortably through long journeys and a fifth addition of a kid or adult shouldn't cause major issues. (Nexon wins over other options here.)

For used cars, I did consider some gems like the 1.6DDIS S-Cross and have poured over the forum like madman. I decided that if I was going to buy a used car and anyway upgrade after 3-4 years, I would rather buy a small hatch since my current needs are satisfied by it. And I did set a maximum limit of 5L for this, just in case I find some hatch in relatively new/un-used condition.
S2K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 12:09   #184
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum. Since this is your first car, it's better to go for a brand that can give you trouble free ownership experience. I would suggest you go for Kia Sonet. Though they're very new to our country, they're very serious about our market and being a Hyundai sibling, most bases are covered on the service front. Globally, they're in the top ten and are known to be reliable too. Recently they topped the customer satisfaction survey here.

Sonet being a compact SUV would suit most of your requirements. The space would be more than sufficient for someone whose family is yet to grow bigger. Opt for an AT since you're going to be driving it in city a lot. Higher ground clearance of 205 mm would come in handy too during monsoons. Just go through the Sonet threads to know what transmission and engine option would suit you. My pick would be a AT Diesel in GTX+ which will keep you in good stead for next 8 years at least. It would be a reliable transmission too besides with all connected tech, it's bit of a future proof buy as well. It has all the active and passive safety kit and a host of other feature list too. In case you overshoot your budget , you can have a HTK+ but minus lot of safety kits. Happy hunting !

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 5th October 2020 at 12:16.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 13:00   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K View Post
I was very much fixated on the Ignis but soon jumped to the sub compact SUV segment.
Starting on a lighter note, isn't Ignis an SUV as per Maruti?
Hyundai Venue vs the competition-2020marutiignisfacelift111068x600.jpg
Quote:
Should I go for new or a used car?
Now coming to the issue at hand, a lot may change once you are married. The finances and priorities cannot be predicted no matter how well you plan. I will suggest to get a used one over a new one for the time-being. Being in Mumbai, you will find a ton of enthusiast cars at good prices if you can scout and verify the history. On the other hand, if you do not want to get your fingers burnt, a certified Japanese can be a good option. Due to the rains and waterlogging issues, a higher vehicle should be preferred and history of water damage should be checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
The explosive S-Cross diesel. Pick a good car, get it inspected, and then enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I would say go for a used S-Cross, since you are used to a Maruti ownership.
The S-Cross 1.6 (preferably in Alpha) with a service history and an ongoing extended warranty, will be a great pick, eyes closed.
Quote:
Nexon XZ, Rapid Rider Plus, Venue SX, and Sonet HTX in that order of preference
If you must buy a new vehicle, I will suggest you also look into the Ecosport and S-Cross if not already rejected for some reason.

If you are okay with the space (the rear can be good for kids for your foreseeable future) and slightly hard suspension (trade-off for good handling), the Ecosport will be the best overall vehicle in that segment. I will suggest to go with diesel if you want a manual and petrol only if you crave for that automatic with paddle shifters.

A new S-Cross may also be looked at, for slight more comfort and wider available support from Maruti. In either case, I will suggest to go for the top trim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
With Mumbai traffic in mind, I would suggest you go for an AT.
An automatic will be a boon everyday in the city and many I know (including me) have underestimated the benefit during our purchases for the longer term.
Researcher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 13:32   #186
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

I would say what I say to everyone looking for a car under 18 lacs; give the Tiago some serious thought. I believe that the Tiago is all the car that one would need and that the market does not offer significant upgrades over what the Tiago does, all the way right upto the 18 lac mark. The cars that are more expensive than the Tiago but still cost less than 18 lacs, do not feel worth the extra money in my opinion. Ofcourse all of this is assuming you can live with a Manual transmission as the automatic in the Tiago is smooth but too slow.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 17:31   #187
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
For new vehicles, my candidates are Nexon XZ, Rapid Rider Plus, Venue SX, and Sonet HTX in that order of preference
Since you're on a budget, have you considered a used Nexon. There should be a few on sale now. Else I'd suggest a used hatch for now.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 19:09   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Hi BHPians,
My priorities are safety, comfort, predictable cost of ownership and, to some extent, performance - for occasional times of driving pleasure.
With all these factors in mind, If I buy a new car, I am going after the sub CSUV segment and I am probably gonna keep that car for next 6-7 years atleast.
If I buy a used one, I plan to buy a hatchback under 4-5Lakhs and then buy upgrade few years down the line, when more space becomes a mandatory requirement. This way I save the money now, let it grow however much it does and use it later.
For new vehicles, my candidates are Nexon XZ, Rapid Rider Plus, Venue SX, and Sonet HTX in that order of preference since Nexon is good with safety and overall package of features and Sonet compromises on few important things like seating comfort and some active driving safety features. I am definitely not being amused by the sunroofs, and large touchscreens. Rapid Rider Plus scores high on performance, build and is probably safe too, but the cost of ownership is something I am not confident about.
For a used car, my candidates are Tiago XZ/XZA and Figo Titanium(O) in that order of preference.
I would advise you to take a look at a 5 year old petrol 1.5 eco-sport. You will get one in 6.5 lakhs.
Being a petrol it would have done around 50,000km. It’s a very good option. Fulfills most of your requirements.
Try and Drive one and then, you will have a hard time saying NO to that car.
You wouldn’t need to replace it for another 5 years.
greendream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 00:45   #189
BANNED

Re: Hyundai Venue vs the competition

For me it's XUV 3OO. safety, quality, build, refinement and engine performance. Good choice for small families, only issue is cramped boot space .
abnormalspirit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 13:43   #190
AZT
BHPian

Vitara Brezza logs 5.5 lakh sales in 4.5 years of launch

Quote:
Designed and conceptualised in India for India, the model was launched in early 2016. With the migration to BS-VI emission norm, the company had earlier this year introduced a new version of the vehicle
Source: https://www.livemint.com/auto-news/v...966888686.html
Old 6th October 2020, 13:48   #191
Senior - BHPian

Suddenly the Kia Sonet has become a lot more desirable than the Venue to me. Given it's top end automatic variants in petrol and diesel guise. So have voted for Other.
Old 7th October 2020, 00:42   #192
BHPian

Re: My 1st Automatic Car - Budget 11 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jits_1998 View Post
Which car did you finally buy?
Hi,

Apologies for the late reply! Actually, haven't gotten a car yet and not sure if I would be buying one now. Stuck in my hometown and since office is WFH, don't really see a point in buying one no matter how much I want to :(
Old 19th October 2020, 11:38   #193

Need your valuable suggestion for a friend who wants to buy a Compact SUV (Petrol) in Delhi

Budget: 15 lacs (on road)
Transmission: Automatic
Usage: 50 km (to and fro) commute during weekdays and 50 km during weekends. 300 KMs a week more or less.
Requirements: Good mileage, no DCT heating issues, parking sensors and infotainment display, rear AC Vents.

Prioritizing on driving experience and mileage

Have looked at Tata Nexon, Hyundai Venue and Kia Sonet. Skeptical about Nexon as people aren't very happy with its AMT.
Old 19th October 2020, 12:32   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWLN View Post
Transmission: Automatic
Requirements: Good mileage, no DCT heating issues, parking sensors and infotainment display, rear AC Vents.
Nexon as people aren't very happy with its AMT.
There's only one car with engine and gearbox combination which match your specific requirements - Sonet Diesel AT.

No DCT heating issues - check (removes Venue from contention)
Good mileage - check (removes EcoSport from contention)
No AMT - check (removes Nexon and XUV 500 Diesel from contention).
RoadMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 18:00   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
There's only one car with engine and gearbox combination which match your specific requirements - Sonet Diesel AT.

No DCT heating issues - check (removes Venue from contention)
Good mileage - check (removes EcoSport from contention)
No AMT - check (removes Nexon and XUV 500 Diesel from contention).
He is from Delhi, so it probably removes Diesel from contention Sadly almost no car in this segment ticks all his boxes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks