Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Does it make sense to go with Renault Duster in 2019?
Yes 33 23.57%
No 58 41.43%
Better wait for next generation Duster 49 35.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2017, 12:01   #76
BHPian

Re: Should I buy the ageing Renault Duster in 2017?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Since the duster is out due to the airbag thing,i would suggest looking at the Creta AT again, and if the budget is a stretch in that case looking at a used one. You'd be surprised to see easily 2 lacs off a lightly used one , about 10k kms run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
I am not considering Creta at all. I didn't like it personally for the same reason as you do.
When I was in a similar position 2 months back (the reason why I started this thread), my equation looked like this:

Duster AMT RXZ - 13.95 on road with UP reg (-1.60 for my i10 in exchange)
Creta D-AT SX+ - 16.15 on road with PB reg (-2.15 for my i10 in exchange)

But when I factor in the re-sale 5 years later, the Creta will turn out to be more economical than the Duster. Besides the joy of ownership is truly significantly more, especially considering the NCAP thing.

I didn't consider SCross for lack of AT, and EcoSport because missus didn't find it SUVish enough
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 14:31   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
When I was in a similar position 2 months back (the reason why I started this thread), my equation looked like this:

Duster AMT RXZ - 13.95 on road with UP reg (-1.60 for my i10 in exchange)
Creta D-AT SX+ - 16.15 on road with PB reg (-2.15 for my i10 in exchange)
Yeah, its clear that Creta isn't at much of a premium over the Duster considering the Kit on offer. You've mentioned the different states, was the road tax or ex showroom price different between noida and punjab?
Old 12th May 2017, 15:06   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Yeah, its clear that Creta isn't at much of a premium over the Duster considering the Kit on offer. You've mentioned the different states, was the road tax or ex showroom price different between noida and punjab?
Yes, UP taxes at 8% while Punjab at 6%. Also, my old car was PB registered so I got better value there. But the Renault Chandigarh was least interested in selling a vehicle and the other dealer had shut down so I had no choice but compare against an UP dealer, which is my secondary city.

Creta definitely offers a much better kit but what sealed my decision were tiny niggles in Duster which could become a headache later. For example, reports that the car rolls on a slope even with parking brakes on, water seeping in the dashboard, injector issues, nasty ageing and the fact that the central locking is designed in a way that any occupant can unlock all the doors from the inside. In my view and considering my requirements, this is a serious safety hazard. My old Hyundai i10 ran 90,000kms over 6 years without throwing any tantrums whatsoever.

I felt Creta is a better vehicle for the same value over the years of ownership. I miss the better ride but the peace of mind and aspirational value are significantly higher.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 15:38   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post

I felt Creta is a better vehicle for the same value over the years of ownership. I miss the better ride but the peace of mind and aspirational value are significantly higher.
Also not to forget a significantly better & smoother torque converter AT compared to relatively rudimentary AMT on the Duster
Old 12th May 2017, 16:14   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Also not to forget a significantly better & smoother torque converter AT compared to relatively rudimentary AMT on the Duster
To be honest, I did not find the AMT that bad. Rather I was happy with the mileage and low maintenance. Yes, TC is better for the money on offer but the AMT wasn't a deal breaker
Old 17th May 2017, 11:33   #81

Dear Friends,
I am currently in the market shopping for a new car where my daily commute around 30kms in Bangalore, highway rides monthly with family of 4; budget around 15L, and intend to keep the car atleast for 5 years.

Requirements
- MUST haves : dual airbags, ABS, ground clearance atleast >190, plush ride
- Desired : low running costs (diesel), all-in-one car (office and long drives), a proper 5-seater, about 400L boot

Cars in consideration (in no specific order):
a) Duster AWD - exceptional ride quality; most experts are suggesting AWD version; no great interiors & ergonomics, but liveable; not much sure of service/support
b) Creta SX - very good overall quality, premium feel, ergonomics, and service / support; acceptable ride quality, smaller window over area can be claustrophobic
c) S-cross 1.6 - Facelift launch is still 5 to 6 months away; haven't TD'd this
d) EcoSport - awesome car, but for rear seating capacity, and stiff suspension for city
e) Used XUV500 - awesome highway car; city commutes would be little tough compared to others

Offers this month:
Renault dealer is offerring 1.5L discount for Dec2016 mfg Duster AWD.
Hyundai dealer is offerring about 60-70k for Aug/Dec2016 mfg Creta SX+

With Facelifts of both Scross & EcoSport are still few months away, am in a dilemma between Duster & Creta considering the offers, or to wait for Scross.

Can experts kindly advise.

Thanks much,
SK
Old 17th May 2017, 12:21   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk13 View Post
I was in the market for a new car and I looked into both of the above options.

Renault Duster: Why go for 2016 model when there are good discounts running for 2017 manufactured vehicles.
Hyundai Creta: Please stay away from this dealer, Creta on average does 9k+ every month so no way he will have a 2016 stock lying with him (unless it has some issues). When I spoke to the SA in Bangalore he mentioned that we need to wait 2 to 4 weeks depending on the variant and colour

Last edited by .sourov : 17th May 2017 at 12:21. Reason: wrong quote
Old 17th May 2017, 12:23   #83
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
a) Duster AWD - exceptional ride quality; most experts are suggesting AWD version; no great interiors & ergonomics, but liveable; not much sure of service/support
b) Creta SX - very good overall quality, premium feel, ergonomics, and service / support; acceptable ride quality, smaller window over area can be claustrophobic
d) EcoSport - awesome car, but for rear seating capacity, and stiff suspension for city
e) Used XUV500 - awesome highway car; city commutes would be little tough compared to others
I think with this shortlist, you are right on track - just TD all of them and make your choice

My personal opinions on these:
1. Duster AWD - do you really need this, unless you are planning to drive on bad terrain/off-roading ?
Duster's drawback is the interiors, if you can live with that, not a problem. It can seat 5 comfortably and has a huge boot and ride quality is superb.

2. S-Cross 1.6 and Creta - both are close and will be good choices.

3. Ecosport - tad smaller than the others, but offers 6 airbags, so if safety is #1 on your priority, this is it

4. Used XUV500 - interiors are not great and there are the typical small issues to deal with like plastic quality, rattles, small niggles - On a recent trip in a friend's XUV, the mobile phone was connected to the 12V socket in the middle row and it kept getting unplugged when the car was in motion, quite irritating that was!
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 12:29   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Only if you need it. If you're going to use it on tarmac 95% of the time, and if it has to be Duster, why not get an AMT instead?

Quote:
Offers this month:
Stay away from these. +1 to .Sourov's comment above.
Old 17th May 2017, 12:54   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends,
I am currently in the market shopping for a new car where my daily commute around 30kms in Bangalore, highway rides monthly with family of 4; budget around 15L, and intend to keep the car atleast for 5 years.
========
Thanks much,
SK
The TATA SAFARI VX 2017. Though I agree its never the first thought for many buyers.

Give it a TD. Pit it against the shortlisted contender for features/comfort. It might surprise you, including the after sales support which cant be worse than Hyundai or Ford.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th May 2017 at 10:12. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large thread for short replies. Thanks.
drive_factor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 17:44   #86
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Whether or not the Duster will continue to be sold and developed further is a big question. Here is My take:

In Favour:
The Kaptur is based on the same 'B0' platform as the Duster, thus Renault is not bringing in a newer platform essentially for the Kaptur. With this we can be assured somewhat that this platform will not be sacrificed to make place for something new. This puts Renault in a position where they will have to place the Kaptur higher (Creta range) than the Duster which will continue in the current range. Thus they will have a minivan (Lodgy), a 5 seater SUV (Duster) and a 5/7 seater Premium SUV (Katur) all based on the B0 platform using the same engines. Sounds like the B0 platform has another 5-7 years of life left in it.

Against:
They might just wipe out everything based on the B0 platform and bring in the CMF-B platform. With automakers reducing the number of platforms this is also a possibility.

That said, the Duster currently in the AWD has its own USP which is unmatched. If someone is buying a Duster now it should be and AWD (if one has the use for it). Otherwise a Creta or even a Brezza will last longer and will be a much more frequently updated car in the time to come.
Old 18th May 2017, 12:47   #87

Wow Creta vs Duster sure is a difficult decision!!

I finally booked the 2016 Duster AWD even though my heart said Creta AT.

I used to drive an LTZ AT Cruze so going back to manual was really scary. However, I have to travel on Hilly roads where 4WD is mandatory during rainy season. In the past, I would have to switch cars.

Now with the Duster AWD, its one car door to door.

Good Points:
1) Amazing Clutch.
2) Feels Planted on the Highway with the Multi-Link Suspension.
3) Low cost of Maintenance from what I have read on the forum and what I have heard from others.
4) Huge discount for 2016 model.

Bad Points:
1) Interiors feel older than the 2010 Cruze. Very Plain.
2) 1st Gear is extremely short, but I hear its because of the AWD and missing Low Gear.
3) Very bad dealership experience with Trident, Bangalore. This completely negates the discount. But in Bangalore only Trident is an option for Renault.
4) The overhang of the Kaptur and 0 clarity on pricing and interiors. The test vehicle pics and russian pics make it look similar to the qwid.

Fingers crossed I have made the right decision with Kaptur and GST on the way.
josephrmathias is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 10:03   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrmathias View Post

Bad Points:
.2) 1st Gear is extremely short, but I hear it's because of the AWD and missing Low Gear.
3) Very bad dealership experience with Trident, Bangalore. This completely negates the discount. But in Bangalore, only Trident is an option for Renault.
The first and second gears were the pain point in my facelifted 85PS Duster, driveability was superb in 3rd and 4th gears while the 5th gear was a big let down. Renault has made a mess of the turbo hoses in the facelifted version unlike its predecessor, the older version is better than the facelifted Duster. There are a lot of reasons why people hate Trident in Bangalore, but Renault has no plans to get a new dealer.
Old 19th May 2017, 10:12   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

My shortlist:
Quote:
I have a Storme 4x2, but have driven / travelled in the Duster & the Creta. Duster's suspension is excellent. But considering the age of the car, I will at this time give it a pass for the Creta. Alternately, the S-Cross.
Old 30th June 2017, 15:09   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrmathias View Post
Wow Creta vs Duster sure is a difficult decision!!

I finally booked the 2016 Duster AWD even though my heart said Creta AT.

I used to drive an LTZ AT Cruze so going back to manual was really scary. However, I have to travel on Hilly roads where 4WD is mandatory during rainy season. In the past, I would have to switch cars.

Now with the Duster AWD, its one car door to door.

Good Points:
1) Amazing Clutch.
2) Feels Planted on the Highway with the Multi-Link Suspension.
3) Low cost of Maintenance from what I have read on the forum and what I have heard from others.
4) Huge discount for 2016 model.

Bad Points:
1) Interiors feel older than the 2010 Cruze. Very Plain.
2) 1st Gear is extremely short, but I hear its because of the AWD and missing Low Gear.
3) Very bad dealership experience with Trident, Bangalore. This completely negates the discount. But in Bangalore only Trident is an option for Renault.
4) The overhang of the Kaptur and 0 clarity on pricing and interiors. The test vehicle pics and russian pics make it look similar to the qwid.

Fingers crossed I have made the right decision with Kaptur and GST on the way.
Congrats !! It must have been difficult going from AT to MT.

1st gear is indeed short & irritating sometimes. You will get used to it eventually. Interiors are no great shakes either. But the usability spectrum of Duster is very wide. Be it Highways, City, Bad roads or Hilly terrain. One car does all. And without any problem.

There is an FB page called Team Duster India. You can join that. Some people there have contacts with the dealer. You might be able to solve the issue with Trident.

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks