Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2014, 10:56   #256
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Innova vs Others

Guys,
Looking to replace my dad's well maintained Innova Gx 2009 Diesel.

He is in love with Innova & wants to replace it with another one only. The current one has new Tires & has done about 1.26 Lac kms.

My dad is 60+ and is self driven & loves to drive.

He doesn't drive my Fortuner except on Highway runs as he finds it too Heavy for city driving & the Ride to be Hard.

Now, I want to replace His innova with a XUV W8, while he wants another Innova only as his Innova has been trouble free. It still runs on Stock clutch.

Hows the ride quality of XUV on extremely poor/ bumpy / potholed roads?, compared to the Innova.

Also, is Mahindra as trouble free as a Toyota , nowadays?

Can anyone suggest ??

Thanks!

Cheers!

- Rishi
Old 2nd July 2014, 23:43   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Hows the ride quality of XUV on extremely poor/ bumpy / potholed roads?, compared to the Innova.

Would suggest you to take few long test drives of XUV on bumpy roads and compare both to take an informative decision.

If its only about Ride quality and After sales then I would rate both like this:

Ride quality on potholed roads: 6:8
Ride quality on bumpy roads: 7:9
Body roll: 7:8

Total: XUV: 20 Innova: 25(wins)

After sales Experience (based upon my experience with XUV and Altis)

score on Chance of some problem: 8:9.9
How they actually handle problem: 9:9
Work at service centers: 8/8
Overall Service experience: 9:8

Total: Mahindra 34: Toyota 34.9(wins)

You'll see clearly Innova wins on these two points and since its for your dad and his choice is Innova then why not. Just keep in mind that a new innova is speculated for 2015 launch, search internet.

XUV scores on other things like Safety, looks, pickup, speed, peppier, More features, SUV vs MUV looks, bigger and more specious than Innova, New model, good FE.
Ym-enjn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 09:20   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
Looking to replace my dad's well maintained Innova Gx 2009 Diesel.

He is in love with Innova & wants to replace it with another one only. The current one has new Tires & has done about 1.26 Lac kms.

Now, I want to replace His innova with a XUV W8, while he wants another Innova only as his Innova has been trouble free. It still runs on Stock clutch.

This is exactly the talk that happens every other week in my house. Infact last time it became serious I ended up with a F30 in my garage , but that is another story.

What I have gathered from all the research and taking into account my father's needs is that Innova can only be replaced with an Innova. Mahindra is good and has come a long way but Toyota is still quite far ahead. Individual experiences can be different but overall do not expect Toyota kind of reliability and after sales experience with Mahindra yet. And that is something that appeals a lot to parents!

My suggestion is to hold on to that Innova and if you want to excite things up then get a tuning box and make some exterior changes to the car like Alloys/wraps etc. The reason for holding is:
1. The vehicle as you say is well maintained and hence what is the point of changing it. It is not going to give you any problems in the near future. Moreover the new Innova is only different cosmetically ( for good or the worse) and the engine specs etc stay the same. My 2007 Innova has run 1.3L kms too and is still going strong.

2. I do not have any facts or data to support this but 2 different sales people from 2 different dealerships ( one in Delhi and the other in Vadodara) vouched for the fact that all Innova's built till 2009/10 were of significantly better quality than the newer lot. This was there response when I asked them for advice on changing my Innova. And they were clearly in favour of holding on the current Innova.

Last edited by drmohitg : 3rd July 2014 at 09:21.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:19   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This is exactly the talk that happens every other week in my house. Infact last time it became serious I ended up with a F30 in my garage , but that is another story.

2. I do not have any facts or data to support this but 2 different sales people from 2 different dealerships ( one in Delhi and the other in Vadodara) vouched for the fact that all Innova's built till 2009/10 were of significantly better quality than the newer lot.
1. Have been through the same situation & infact, last time I even booked A ML 250 cdi for my Dad, but cancelled it as wasn't too sure about the Mercedes Service. Now looking forward to the Facelifted ML.

2. Have decided to retain the Innova for Factory & local errands at home as its very easy to drive, plus the ride comfort is better & have booked a Fortuner AT for my Dad. I hope it should be less stressful driving in traffic.

And yes, I have been hearing the same thing about the poor build quality of the New Innova vs. the old one from Toyota Personnel. They said its too much plastic now & quality is lighter.

Last edited by car_crazy1400 : 3rd July 2014 at 10:21.
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:32   #260
BHPian

Hi,

Keeping in mind the overall comfort factor, I would surely state Innova is scores a tad more. But then again its aged, and yes, if its for highway runs only then XUV because of a much peppier engine and sheer driving pleasure. Now coming back to your question on reliability, well err, maybe not bullet proof, but for sure whatever they lack in they make up with amazing customer support. Trust me, have seen the worst and how it was handled ( BTW. sorry to state TOYOTA quality isn't sacrosanct anymore).

Again keeping the overall dynamics in mind. My suggestion, let the Innova stay for now, and wait for the 2015 one.

Take Care
Old 9th July 2014, 13:49   #261
BHPian

Hi,

I personally don't think the new gen Innova will be launched in 2015. I look at the end of 2016 for the India launch.
Old 18th July 2014, 00:04   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ A reliable source tells me new gen Innova, or rather Innova replacement from Toyota is expected in 3rd quarter of 2015.
However do note that it will be a completely new model which will replace Innova, similar to how Qualis was replaced by Innova around a decade earlier.
Old 19th July 2014, 12:41   #263
D4D
BHPian

Quote:

I think he's making a better choice here(by a small margin) The XUV 500 is a good car. But why does he want to replace his Innova? 5 years and 1.25 lakh km is hardly any running by innova standards. I have seen taxis which are 2005 models with 5 lakh plus km and still performing well.

Alternatively, the SA at Nandi Toyota (Kanakapura road, Bangalore) offered me to paint and change electronics and the front grille of my '07 innova for 2.5 lakh (I told him that I'm not going to spend that $$$ and so I don't know any finer details). He claimed that after the re-work, it would look like those '14 models inside-out. Check if this is available with your local dealer.

Quote:
Mahindra mechanicals are reliable. But they got a distance to got before being worthy of competing with the Japanese. But if anyone has got close to Japanese reliability, it's Hyundai.

Last edited by D4D : 19th July 2014 at 12:43.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 13:01   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
I think he's making a better choice here(by a small margin) The XUV 500 is a good car. But why does he want to replace his Innova? 5 years and 1.25 lakh km is hardly any running by innova standards. I have seen taxis which are 2005 models with 5 lakh plus km and still performing well.

Sir, I sold my Innova 2009, GX 8 seater (1.27 lac kms, new Tires) to a cousin for 6 Lacs. As he was as interested in buying it as eager was my dad to sell it as my Father was just bored of his old Innova. ( No Troubles)

Have got the booking for Fortuner Cancelled & got home a New Innova GX seater in Silky Gold color..

My dad wasn't interested too much in a Fortuner owing to the Height & heavy steering.

Booked it on Thursday & Got delivery on Friday itself, by pulling some strings, in Ludhiana (but its Euro3, sans intercooler. Waiting was about a Month for Euro-4, intercooler model).

Already installed 225/60 R15 Yokohama C-Drives Tires on after market alloys & Pioneer Touch Scrren Head Unit with reverse camera.

Thanks for the help everyone
car_crazy1400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 16:31   #265
BHPian

Guys,

Need some advice. Need a "people-mover" for our family use - Couple + 2 Kids + Parents. We have typically switched cars every 3-4 yrs based on our needs, but are looking something for longer term this time. Requirements are

1. Must carry everyone very comfortably (including Kids in car seats).

2. Self Driven.

3. Space is a very important requirement (we owned Fusion earlier, and the Manza now, so we are used to having a LOT of space.)

4. Primarily for city use. We may do a highway trip once in 4-5 months, but typically not very long or frequent.

5. Top-end version (do not want to skimp on safety features).

6. Pre-owned cars. Do not see value in buying new ones.

7. Budget of around 10-11L (in BLR). Can stretch a bit if really needed.

8. Preferably should last us for 7-10 yrs (our past history has been approx 8-10K kms per year, we do clock miles like others )

Eventually boils down to pre-owned Innova or pre-owned XUV, i am more inclined towards the former, primarily due to the lack of sliding middle rows in the XUV. We are not very tall or plump but, are spoiled with our current/past cars with acres of space (and that meant Ertiga, which I was very keen on initially, was ruled out).

The current choices are

1. 2009 Innova V variant, 45K done, 10.75L
2. 2009 Innova V variant, 75K done, 9.75L
3. 2012 XUV W8 variant, 55K done, 11.5L-12.0L
4. 2011 Innova GX variant, 25K done, 10.25L

Missed a great deal sometime back (2009 Innova, 27K done for 10L).

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Last edited by sachinayak : 8th August 2014 at 16:39.
Old 8th August 2014, 17:03   #266
D4D
BHPian

If buying pre-owned, I think it'll be safe to stick with a Japanese car. Reason: High reliability.

The Innova is very old and the launch is round the corner. It makes sense to wait for the new one so that you can bargain hard on the old one.

IMHO, the 2011 is a good deal if it has ABS and D+P airbag.

Also if you're willing to stretch, look for a Fortuner. Also look at some Endy's and bargain hard. If you're not going to use those 6 seats too often, buy a sedan and rent a 7 seater when you need one.

Alternately look at the Mobilio.

Last edited by D4D : 8th August 2014 at 17:04.
Old 9th August 2014, 15:22   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Guys,

Couple + 2 Kids + Parents. We have typically switched cars every 3-4 yrs but are looking something for longer term this time

4. Primarily for city use. We may do a highway trip once in 4-5 months, but typically not very long or frequent.

5. Top-end version (do not want to skimp on safety features).

6. Pre-owned cars. Do not see value in buying new ones.

7. Budget of around 10-11L (in BLR). Can stretch a bit if really needed.

8. Preferably should last us for 7-10 yrs (our past history has been approx 8-10K kms per year, we do clock miles like others )

1. 2009 Innova V variant, 45K done, 10.75L
2. 2009 Innova V variant, 75K done, 9.75L
3. 2012 XUV W8 variant, 55K done, 11.5L-12.0L
4. 2011 Innova GX variant, 25K done, 10.25L

Missed a great deal sometime back (2009 Innova, 27K done for 10L).

Any suggestions/thoughts?
Okay, so really for 4 adults + 2 kids to travel in comfort, the Innova is the best bet. Pre-Owned, unless you are very sure about its history is a bit iffy as there are many running around with rolled back odometer readings. If you are looking at a 7-10 year ownership horizon, your best bet would be to buy new. Handle any pre-owned Innova like you would a hot potato and only buy if you are 100% convinced that what you see is what you are getting. If you have even the slightest bit of doubt, let the car go!
There is an all new Innova(or its successor) around the corner, although when Toyota will launch it is anyones guess. Their Innova and Fortuner sales are more than sufficient for them to be lazy.
Old 10th August 2014, 19:13   #268
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Quote:
The Innova is very old and the launch is round the corner. It makes sense to wait for the new one so that you can bargain hard on the old one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
There is an all new Innova(or its successor) around the corner, although when Toyota will launch it is anyones guess. Their Innova and Fortuner sales are more than sufficient for them to be lazy.
This thought definitely crossed my mind, but going by Toyota's history in India, new offering are significantly more expensive than the pre-decessor. Qualis resale prices spiked up big time when Innova was lauched, and i fear something similar when Toyota indeed launches the Innova successor, whenever that is. I definitely do not expect them to price anywhere close to the outgoing one (which IMHO is already obscenely priced).

Quote:
IMHO, the 2011 is a good deal if it has ABS and D+P airbag.
The 2011 one, unfortunately is not the top end, and I will miss out on passenger side airbag, steering mounted controls, alloy wheels etc.

Quote:
Also if you're willing to stretch, look for a Fortuner. Also look at some Endy's and bargain hard. If you're not going to use those 6 seats too often, buy a sedan and rent a 7 seater when you need one.
I already have a sedan (driving a Manza) and have rented 7 seaters for my long distance trips (Zoom Cars), but we travel together within the city and I want to make my kids habituated to car seats. Further, during most long weekends, Zoom Cars/Myles are completely booked, well in advance. Looking for a people mover, so stretching for Fortuner/Endy will not help me.

Quote:
Alternately look at the Mobilio.
The online review's clearly indicate that it is not much spacious compared to the Ertiga, but will still take a look. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Pre-Owned, unless you are very sure about its history is a bit iffy as there are many running around with rolled back odometer readings. If you are looking at a 7-10 year ownership horizon, your best bet would be to buy new. Handle any pre-owned Innova like you would a hot potato and only buy if you are 100% convinced that what you see is what you are getting. If you have even the slightest bit of doubt, let the car go!
My previous cars have been pre-owned Santro, pre-owned Ford Fusion and currently on a pre-owned Manza. Have, touchwood, faced no issues with any of my drives. I always buy from individual sellers only when complete service history is available. But thanks for the heads up, will be careful in my inspection.
Old 12th August 2014, 12:01   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
My previous cars have been pre-owned Santro, pre-owned Ford Fusion and currently on a pre-owned Manza. Have, touchwood, faced no issues with any of my drives. I always buy from individual sellers only when complete service history is available. But thanks for the heads up, will be careful in my inspection.

Sorry Sachin,

What I meant to type was "Pre-Owned Innova's"; the problem with Innova's and Fortuners are odometer frauds are very common. Very often, once the warranty period runs out, people will give them to third party service centers, who at times aid in odometer fraud and provide service slips accordingly. So be very careful.

To be hones, since the ownership horizon is so long, I'd seriously look at buying new (for these two cars in particular) even though they are obscenely priced.

Cheers

imp
Old 24th August 2014, 23:08   #270
SVP

The XUV W6 vs W8!

It all started 4 months back, when I was driving my Vento through some lanes in Delhi that had massive speed breakers. While the Vento has decent ground clearance, it still managed to kiss the bottom quite a few times, my heart just sank . I've also dissuaded myself to venture into places that lack a solid and well built road as I still fear the Vento won't take that kind of beating, and if it does, it'll make me bleed through my pocket. Anyway, coming back to the issue at hand!
  • The W8 has a wallop of features and while I know that the XUV has it's niggles, I think, I'm just taking the plunge with a pinch of salt. The W6 seems a little restricted on features, but does it make a lot of difference?
  • Do I really need the W8's AWD feature to get to places like Ladakh/ Nepal etc? Could someone help me here?

I'm mainly looking forward to driving anywhere without the fear of ruining my car, and of course the bragging rights of owing this supreme looking machine!

P.S -If you could guide me to the best dealer + Service center in Delhi, I would be really grateful

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks