Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2014, 12:48   #211
BANNED

Great confusion... Used Innova vs Used XUV vs New LUV

Guys, we are in the market to buy a new MPV as the family has grown now after my parents moved here. There was lots of confusion as to whether it should be new or used as it might be kept for only 3-4 years.

First Dad said to look for New XUV or Innova but after hearing price of new Innova V (we always go for topend), Dad's expression was ! XUV is also a good option new but it is also little pricey.

Then Dad said that let's look in to second hand market for 1 or 2 year old cars because that would fit our purpose. Now here comes the twist. Used Innovas for 2012 model are going for 10-11 lacs and XUV for roughly the same period also going for same prices if not more.

A friend suggested me to look at the Ertiga ZDi as its price comes to 10.XX lacs on road but it is a NEW car. I am highlighting the NEW factor. Now I am told that the Ertiga is a decent family mover with reasonably ability to carry the load of 7 people and luggage. And the 1.3 MJD is rather efficient too.

Guys We need your suggestion for this dilemma.
kisharchit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 15:25   #212
BANNED

Re: Great confusion... Used Innova vs Used XUV vs New LUV

To add more confusion, why not check the new Nissan Terrano as well, seen many moving very well on highways and good city presence as well
Old 10th April 2014, 15:32   #213
Senior - BHPian

Since you are considering Ertiga, do test drive a Xylo also. Regarding used vehicles, my friend bought an Innova four years back with some 60k on ODO. Now its 165000 kms and still runs like a new car.
Old 10th April 2014, 15:49   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Used Innovas for 2012 model are going for 10-11 lacs and XUV for roughly the same period also going for same prices if not more.
I would advise strongly against going for used XUV. Not that it is a bad car, but the initial batches of the XUV had lots of niggles. Most of the XUVs out there in the second hand market are because the owner is frustrated a bit. Of course there will be genuine cases as well, but it is better to be cautious. Brand new XUV is niggle free and you can go for it if in your price range. On the other hand, used Innova is recommended. Hassle free car to own.
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 15:49   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now I am told that the Ertiga is a decent family mover with reasonably ability to carry the load of 7 people and luggage. And the 1.3 MJD is rather efficient too.
Being an Ertiga owner myself for the past 16000 kms, I would like to mention a couple of points:
  • Ertiga is not an all time 7 Seater if that is what your requirement is: I would always call it a 5+2 Flexi seater for occasional day drives
  • Again, It can fit 7 quite comfortably (if not generously) but you will have no choice but to carry very minimal luggage since there wont be any place to keep that with 7 on board
  • With 6 on board (all 3 rows occupied), I have driven it enough over various types of roads and definitely not dissatisfied with its pulling power
  • Ertiga is indeed a good, fast and comfortable highway cruiser and drives like car - The high speed dynamics will not disappoint you
  • Yes, the DDiS/Multijet Engine is indeed efficient returning anything between 14-17kmpl in City and 17-20kmpl on the highways under load and good speeds

Hence, I would like to reiterate again that if you are looking for very comfortable space for all the 3 rows, Luggage space, you can think beyond the Ertiga and look for a vehicle with bigger engine displacement and good torque band to pull the load and luggage.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th April 2014 at 15:51.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 16:07   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are looking at a 7 seater for long journeys/plan to seat adults on the third row, then Ertiga is not the car for you. Also with all 3 rows up it will not have any space left for luggage. The Innova sounds more ideal for both of the above mentioned purpose. I would advise you to rather go for a used Innova or a new XUV. Both are great cars.
Old 10th April 2014, 16:23   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, we are in the market to buy a new MPV as the family has grown now after my parents moved here. There was lots of confusion as to whether it should be new or used as it might be kept for only 3-4 years.

First Dad said to look for New XUV or Innova but after hearing price of new Innova V (we always go for topend), Dad's expression was ! XUV is also a good option new but it is also little pricey.

Guys We need your suggestion for this dilemma.
Are you looking at a people mover ? Innova and Xylo are far better 7-8 seaters compared to XUV or ertiga . If you are going to keep it for just 2-3 years , better buy an innova in a decent shape , selling it will be a bit easier since it is a taxi segment favorite .

I don't think XUV has a comfortable 3rd row . If you are ok with jump seats , why not try scorpio or Safari ? Re sale value and reliability of these two cars could be an issue always . If power ,looks etc are not a big criteria , why don't you check with Nissan Evalia or Ashok Leyland Style (Both are essentially same ) and might fit in your budget . If you are buying a used Innova , make sure its in decent shape , spares and labour at ASC s are not cheap .

On the other hand , if you buy a new car , it comes with warranty , free service , even better if you opt for an extended warranty , better resale and of course the smell of the fresh rubber in a new car .

Last edited by girimajiananth : 10th April 2014 at 16:32.
Old 10th April 2014, 16:45   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Just noticed your signature. You used to have both the Innova and the Xylo before. Why not opt for the same cars again then?
Old 10th April 2014, 19:38   #219
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
To add more confusion, why not check the new Nissan Terrano as well, seen many moving very well on highways and good city presence as well
ruled out since day 1 since Terrano cant seat 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Since you are considering Ertiga, do test drive a Xylo also. Regarding used vehicles, my friend bought an Innova four years back with some 60k on ODO. Now its 165000 kms and still runs like a new car.
Xylo... been there done that. Not interested in another one. But the bulletproof reliability of the Innova is something that we are not able to ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
I would advise strongly against going for used XUV. Not that it is a bad car, but the initial batches of the XUV had lots of niggles. Most of the XUVs out there in the second hand market are because the owner is frustrated a bit. Of course there will be genuine cases as well, but it is better to be cautious. Brand new XUV is niggle free and you can go for it if in your price range. On the other hand, used Innova is recommended. Hassle free car to own.
I have been warned about the initial batch of the XUV and their unreliability issues. How bad are the 2012-2013 batch of cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Being an Ertiga owner myself for the past 16000 kms, I would like to mention a couple of points:
  • Ertiga is not an all time 7 Seater if that is what your requirement is: I would always call it a 5+2 Flexi seater for occasional day drives
  • Again, It can fit 7 quite comfortably (if not generously) but you will have no choice but to carry very minimal luggage since there wont be any place to keep that with 7 on board
  • With 6 on board (all 3 rows occupied), I have driven it enough over various types of roads and definitely not dissatisfied with its pulling power
  • Ertiga is indeed a good, fast and comfortable highway cruiser and drives like car - The high speed dynamics will not disappoint you
  • Yes, the DDiS/Multijet Engine is indeed efficient returning anything between 14-17kmpl in City and 17-20kmpl on the highways under load and good speeds

Hence, I would like to reiterate again that if you are looking for very comfortable space for all the 3 rows, Luggage space, you can think beyond the Ertiga and look for a vehicle with bigger engine displacement and good torque band to pull the load and luggage.
Thank you sir for the honest feedback. All three rows will be used maybe once a week at best and no adult will be there. Most likely it will accomodate one or two teenagers at best roughly of 5'3 height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
If you are looking at a 7 seater for long journeys/plan to seat adults on the third row, then Ertiga is not the car for you. Also with all 3 rows up it will not have any space left for luggage. The Innova sounds more ideal for both of the above mentioned purpose. I would advise you to rather go for a used Innova or a new XUV. Both are great cars.
Luggage will not be an issue as we will fit a luggage carrier on the roof. Same will be for Innova or XUV too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Are you looking at a people mover ? Innova and Xylo are far better 7-8 seaters compared to XUV or ertiga . If you are going to keep it for just 2-3 years , better buy an innova in a decent shape , selling it will be a bit easier since it is a taxi segment favorite .

I don't think XUV has a comfortable 3rd row . If you are ok with jump seats , why not try scorpio or Safari ? Re sale value and reliability of these two cars could be an issue always . If power ,looks etc are not a big criteria , why don't you check with Nissan Evalia or Ashok Leyland Style (Both are essentially same ) and might fit in your budget . If you are buying a used Innova , make sure its in decent shape , spares and labour at ASC s are not cheap .

On the other hand , if you buy a new car , it comes with warranty , free service , even better if you opt for an extended warranty , better resale and of course the smell of the fresh rubber in a new car .
Dad did look at the Evalia once but said it looked too much like a van. So I guess its ruled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Just noticed your signature. You used to have both the Innova and the Xylo before. Why not opt for the same cars again then?
Xylo is a straight no no at home. Don't have many fond memories with it. Innova is considered because everyone (including maid) knows that nothing can go wrong with it at all.

UPDATE:

guys, another issue I am having is that I am looking for top end V variant Innovas in the market but I am finding it just too difficult to find one. All are G variants. Our rule at home is that it has to be top end or nothing so finding a V is turning out difficult. On the other hand XUV W8 is very easily available.
Old 10th April 2014, 22:56   #220
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:

guys, another issue I am having is that I am looking for top end V variant Innovas in the market but I am finding it just too difficult to find one. All are G variants. Our rule at home is that it has to be top end or nothing so finding a V is turning out difficult. On the other hand XUV W8 is very easily available.
Are you looking for airbags and ABS ? The 2012 facelift model GX variant innova comes with ABS and driver side airbag . I believe current top variant Innova is Z and not V.

PS : Just searched our own Team BHP classified and found this
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...a/Innova.html/

It has already clocked 1L + Kms . Still want to consider it?

Last edited by girimajiananth : 10th April 2014 at 23:00.
Old 11th April 2014, 00:26   #221
BANNED

Here's a list of what I think are your best options in descending order:

Stretch your budget a little and go in for a mid-variant Aria or a W4 XUV. I understand that you would like to have the top-end version, however to me, that only seems applicable to cars in the sub 10lac range and perhaps a few others since they skimp out on very essential features in the lower variants especially safety kit. However, that isn't the case with these two. Both cars make a very strong case for themselves and have also reached a stage in their life-cycle where most if not all niggles, have been ironed out.

Buy a used Innova: you don't get much; to me the ride isn't really brilliant plus it is very dated and doesn't feel any bit as expensive as it actually is. BUT you really cannot go wrong here new or used.

The Ertiga: compared to the rest, it isn't as capable. However, for its price, it is brilliant and if the car isn't always going to be seating 7+luggage, then I say go for it.

Cheers and good luck!
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 01:26   #222
BANNED

My first choice here will be an Innova without a doubt. I love that peeve if engineering a lot but only for its price.

But frankly, the debate for me would be between Innova and Ertiga. My dad drives an Ertiga and is very happy with it in all virtues.

Conclusion after reading your posts, if you can get a used top-end Innova then buy it else go ahead with the Ertiga ZDi. I bet either of these vehicles will not disappoint you till you own them.

Anurag.
Old 11th April 2014, 10:00   #223
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Are you looking for airbags and ABS ? The 2012 facelift model GX variant innova comes with ABS and driver side airbag . I believe current top variant Innova is Z and not V.

PS : Just searched our own Team BHP classified and found this
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...a/Innova.html/

It has already clocked 1L + Kms . Still want to consider it?
Z is top end in only the new model. Older variants still have V as top end.
and regard to that Innova posted here, it is the captain seat version. I need the 8 seater version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Here's a list of what I think are your best options in descending order:

Stretch your budget a little and go in for a mid-variant Aria or a W4 XUV. I understand that you would like to have the top-end version, however to me, that only seems applicable to cars in the sub 10lac range and perhaps a few others since they skimp out on very essential features in the lower variants especially safety kit. However, that isn't the case with these two. Both cars make a very strong case for themselves and have also reached a stage in their life-cycle where most if not all niggles, have been ironed out.

Buy a used Innova: you don't get much; to me the ride isn't really brilliant plus it is very dated and doesn't feel any bit as expensive as it actually is. BUT you really cannot go wrong here new or used.

The Ertiga: compared to the rest, it isn't as capable. However, for its price, it is brilliant and if the car isn't always going to be seating 7+luggage, then I say go for it.

Cheers and good luck!
Aria is always first true love of dad and me just rest of family members are going against it. Does XUV W4 have any safety features? And other features deleted? Yes the car is not always going to seat 7+luggage and that is the reason I am not discarding the Ertiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
My first choice here will be an Innova without a doubt. I love that peeve if engineering a lot but only for its price.

But frankly, the debate for me would be between Innova and Ertiga. My dad drives an Ertiga and is very happy with it in all virtues.

Conclusion after reading your posts, if you can get a used top-end Innova then buy it else go ahead with the Ertiga ZDi. I bet either of these vehicles will not disappoint you till you own them.

Anurag.
I am only considering the Innova if and only I can find the top end variant. Or else it just has to be something else.
Old 11th April 2014, 10:25   #224
Senior - BHPian

Easy call - I would go with an used Innova simply because this car hardly ages and can take tons of abuse as well. Thats why its pricey among the used cars.
Hard to find a good (less than 60K on the odo) though.
Old 11th April 2014, 15:04   #225
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Easy call - I would go with an used Innova simply because this car hardly ages and can take tons of abuse as well. Thats why its pricey among the used cars.
Hard to find a good (less than 60K on the odo) though.
It's true, I am finding it extremely difficult to find a decent Innova for my purpose. I have however found a XUV but it is UP16 reg (noida). We need to change it to Gurgaon reg (HR26 or HR55). How much will be the transfer cost?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks