Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 09:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pls help identify this bike. Edit: Its the Honda CBX 1000

This pic is from the Tamil movie "THEE" cast Rajnikanth in 1981. I think this bike is CB900, however, google shows that CB900 has a little more vertical engine alignment & hence the confusion. Can someone help me identify the bike pls?

This Tamil movie is the remake from the Hindi movie "DEEWAR" cast Amitabh Bachchan.

PS - Sorry for the poor quality since I took the pic from my mobile
Attached Thumbnails
Pls help identify this bike. Edit: Its the Honda CBX 1000-picture-001.jpg  

Old 8th February 2010, 10:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

That used to be dream machine once
Honda CBX 1000, 1000cc inline six, engine hung down from the chassis. Sight of that underslung six cylinder engine is intimidating. Beautiful bike!
Old 8th February 2010, 13:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Spot on. This matches google now. Yes, its a beautiful bike & the best part is you see 3 bend pipes hanging from the bottom on either sides of the bike, which none of the bikes have now

Spec - Honda CBX1000 Specifications 1999
Blown up pic - http://www.for-ever-free.de/attachme...1000_78__4.jpg

I wonder what is Transverse Inline engine means
Old 8th February 2010, 13:58   #4
BHPian

A Transverse engine, is where the engine lies side to side. In a bike that would be 90Degrees to the wheels, in a car it would mean the engine is parallel to both front or rear wheels.
Old 8th February 2010, 14:18   #5
BHPian

Yes, I remember now. It's the CBX 1000 and Rajnikanth was wearing a Nolan helmet in that very scene.
Old 8th February 2010, 19:12   #6
BHPian

its a cbx all right.
6 cylinder.
those were popular in the 70s... everyone came with 6 cylinders then... kawasaki, and honda followed benelli who had the 750 and the 900 sei. nice bikes.

Note from Mods : Please use punctuation & capitalization properly. Take a look at this thread (Expected Posting Etiquette) for details. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th February 2010 at 19:30. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
Old 8th February 2010, 20:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
A Transverse engine, is where the engine lies side to side. In a bike that would be 90Degrees to the wheels, in a car it would mean the engine is parallel to both front or rear wheels.
Thanks. Its not the engine, but the crankshaft that would be 90 degrees to the wheel. But, then that is what I see with most of the Indian bikes atleast. E.g. Rx100 & successors, CBZ, Hunk, ZMA. What do you think? So are they called as Transverse engines?
Old 8th February 2010, 22:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Boy!This has to be some coincidence! I saw one of these (after many many moons,to be precise) standing outside a house close to Downtown Houston. It was 8pm, and this caught my eye as we passed by the house (luckily, the lights outside the garage were on.) Same color,and maintained brand spanking new!
Old 8th February 2010, 22:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Wow, this means there is a CBX somewhere in India. Probably TN>
Old 9th February 2010, 11:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Hahaha... I took the pic from Aditya channel from the Movie "Thee" that was relayed last Sunday & was filmed somewhere in 1980. Nitin has spotted this in a day or two at Houston Texas in USA in 2010.
Old 9th February 2010, 20:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Johnny has one in Bombay. There was one in Nasik too which got burnt .
Old 10th February 2010, 01:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Hahaha... I took the pic from Aditya channel from the Movie "Thee" that was relayed last Sunday & was filmed somewhere in 1980. Nitin has spotted this in a day or two at Houston Texas in USA in 2010.
I'll see if I can get a pic of the bike.I vaguely remember the house, so when time permits I'll drive by the place and see if the bike's parked there.If not, I'll try to find out how many of these are around here in Houston.There are tonnes of bikers who collect classics,so it should be relatively easy.
Old 10th February 2010, 02:33   #13
BHPian

A mate in North London has 2 CBX 1000 collectables one restored as original the other as a cafe racer with six open megas. When he fires the racer up all the cats and dogs in the neighbourhood run for cover. Got the photos its huge must try and find a way to reduce the size
Old 10th February 2010, 05:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblader View Post
A mate in North London has 2 CBX 1000 collectables one restored as original the other as a cafe racer with six open megas. When he fires the racer up all the cats and dogs in the neighbourhood run for cover. Got the photos its huge must try and find a way to reduce the size
Oh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I'll see if I can get a pic of the bike.I vaguely remember the house, so when time permits I'll drive by the place and see if the bike's parked there.If not, I'll try to find out how many of these are around here in Houston.There are tonnes of bikers who collect classics,so it should be relatively easy.
Yes please. That will be treat for the eyes
Old 13th February 2010, 13:55   #15
BHPian

Bikes engine layout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Thanks. Its not the engine, but the crankshaft that would be 90 degrees to the wheel. But, then that is what I see with most of the Indian bikes atleast. E.g. Rx100 & successors, CBZ, Hunk, ZMA. What do you think? So are they called as Transverse engines?
Samir Taheer is right. its the engine orientation and not the crank shaft decides whether its a tranverse or longitudinal engine layout.

See attached doc. file copied from Wikipedia, which gives very good info on the subject
Attached Files
File Type: doc Bikes engine layout..doc (58.0 KB, 1240 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks