Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2023, 17:16   #1

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine

Hello TeamBhpians, welcome to my thread on the ownership report of Kawasaki Ninja 1000sx!

Today I want to share with you my passion for motorcycle touring and how it has changed my life. As a young boy, I always had the urge to explore places on my bicycle, which eventually translated into riding motorcycles. I have been riding motorcycles for 12+ years now, having explored many beautiful places in India with some close friends and my wife (my forever pillion). We have covered the South Indian states of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, and Kerala, where we enjoyed the scenic landscapes; rich culture; and delicious local cuisine. We have also ventured into the Northern-most states of Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, and Ladakh (UT), where we experienced the thrill of riding on high-altitude roads, breathtaking views of the Himalayas, and warmth of the local people. Motorcycle touring has given us so many unforgettable memories, challenges, and adventures; it has taught us humility, resilience, and - the best part - to appreciate the diversity and beauty of our country. I have always been a fan of this format, and I am glad my other half joined in on the party, although a little late due to a conservative house who would not allow her to venture out much for obvious reasons.

We want to tell you a bit of our story and how we became the proud owners of a KTM Duke 390 BS3 2015. You can skip this part if you want, but we think it's worth reading.

We met in 2012 and instantly bonded over our love of exploring new places on two wheels. Our first bike was a Yamaha Fazer153, which served us well for four years and 75,000 kms. We rode to many destinations in Maharashtra, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu and had a blast. Don't tell our parents, but we did this before we got married, so it was kind of a secret adventure.

But as time passed, we felt the need for more power and performance. We wanted a bike that could handle any terrain and challenge us as riders. That's when we decided to upgrade to a KTM Duke 390 BS3 2015, which was the best option available at that time. It had everything we wanted: technology, power, speed, and style. It was a beast of a machine that could unleash 43 bhp and 35 Nm of torque. We were blown away by the test ride and instantly knew we had to get it.

The Duke, fondly called as the Duchess by my pillion rider, became our loyal companion for many epic trips, including Ladakh (twice for me, once for her). The first time, I rode all the way from Mumbai, covering more than 6000 kms in 18 days, with two of my closest friends. The second time, my wife and I did it after we got married in 2018, which was our official honeymoon trip. Missus bravely did the 18-day trip riding pillion on the Duke's tiny pillion seat using a detachable gel seat. I have many more stories to share about our adventures on the Duke, but I'll save them for another post. For now, I just wanted to give you a glimpse of our journey and how much we love our bikes.

Here's a reference picture of my Fazeria for genX/Z who might have never seen this Yamaha:

Name:  Fazer.PNG
Views: 1687
Size:  1.03 MB

Missus and the Duchess, at Rohtang pass:

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-duke.jpg

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-duke2.jpg

The year 2020 was a bummer though. As we all know, Covid-19 made us lock ourselves up in our homes for two freaking years. We had to deal with boredom, anxiety, and the occasional urge to strangle our family members (just kidding ). The only thing that kept us sane was dreaming of riding our bikes again. But life is full of surprises, and not always the good kind.

Before moving further, here's a short poem on our beloved KTM who is no longer with us. I took ChatGPT's help to write it, with the necessary inputs from the Home Minister (who, btw, is an English literature buff and a linguist by profession, and has proofread this post).

KTM Duke 390 Elegy

“In the heart of steel and roaring might,
A beast emerged, bathed in racing light.
KTM Duke 390, a machine so fine,
In 2015, she was truly divine.

With a BS3 badge and power untamed,
43 horses unleashed, a symphony named.
35 Nm of torque, a force to behold,
In every twist of the throttle, stories told.

Six years of companionship, 65,000 clicks,
Through windswept highways and mountainous picks.
Technology, power, speed, and style,
In the Duke, we found a ride worthwhile.

A dream machine, a mechanical steed,
Fueling our adventures at breakneck speed.
She roared through the curves, danced on the track,
Every ride, a memory we'd never lack.

But fate intervened with an unwelcome seize,
A timely glitch in the mechanical seas.
An engine's pause, a heartbeat still,
The Duke, once roaring, now eerily chill.

Known for seizures, those KTMs bold,
The untamed spirit in a mechanical hold.
Yet, in the silence, I still miss her grace,
A memory of power, etched on time's embrace.

The joyous rides, the spirited races,
Echoes linger in the empty spaces.
A love that halted, a connection frayed,
But the Duke's memory will never fade.

For in those years of adrenaline's surge,
We tasted freedom on the two-wheeled verge.
She may rest now, in mechanical sleep,
But in our hearts, her legacy we'll keep."

Jokes aside, I cared for the motorcycle and gave all the love and attention it deserved. We even did a top rebuild at 35K kms, but I guess the high compression ratio and a tightly packed engine does take a toll on the reliability aspect of this beautiful machine. Mind you, it never stranded us on any of the tours; I reckon the idle sitting during the pandemic did her bad. Nevertheless, we miss her.

Moving on, it was October 2021 - enter Yamaha FZ25. I was searching for the most bang on for the buck motorcycle; we were on a tight budget as we had to save money for the big purchase - the mandatory "buy your own house" bucket list item, which was swiftly checked off in 2022. In the meanwhile, the FZ was carrying on the commuting and touring duties. I got myself new Rynox apparel, riding shoes, hydration pack and did a few small rides on it too. However, the feel of riding this motorcycle was not quite right, since the reference point was always the KTM. Eventually, tours started dwindling down, breakfast rides very few and far in between. You get the gist; the excitement was lost. One area where it shined was the maintenance and fuel economy; it had become an excellent work horse for city commuting. It was not that I wasn't aware of this while buying it; I knew what I was doing. The bike had half the ponies and a missing 6th gear, not ideal for touring as it maxed out easily when loaded. Mind you, it was no slouch and could easily do triple digit speeds, but as @CrAzY dRiVeR mentioned in a beautiful thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...orcycle-2.html (15 things to consider before buying a big motorcycle)
Quote:
, it is easy to outgrow these motorcycles. Not that these are any less capable machines on their own right, but those who have their eyes on the big prize will hardly be content with their 250cc machines. The itch for an upgrade starts just within a few months of the purchase of a brand-new quarter litre motorcycle.
This was a well-thought purchase as the eye was on the big prize, which was to come a few years down the line.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-fz25.jpg

It was beginning of 2023, and I had a strong urge to get a new bike. So, like any sane person, I dove headfirst into the glorious world of YouTube videos and online forums. TeamBHP, XBHP, you name it - I was there, soaking up every bit of two-wheeled wisdom these corners of the internet had to offer. The dream? An inline 4, the kind of machine that makes your heart race just thinking about it.

But reality hit, and my budget wasn't exactly screaming "inline 4" at the top of its lungs. So, compromise mode engaged, and we test rode the Ninja 650. Not a bad choice, right? Well, hold your horses. Enter Mr. Shubhabrata Marmar, aka Shumi, dropping knowledge bombs on a PowerDrift podcast as usual. His advice? Don't settle. Wait for the bike you want, not just the one that fits your budget right now. My wife, brother, and some close friends encouraged me to do the same.

That made sense to me, so I started looking at the new Triumph bikes with inline 3 engines: the Trident660 and the Tiger660. They looked awesome, but they were also pricey. Around 10 lacs OTR.

And then there was the Z900, with its 123 horses and 98nm of torque. It was a beast; 2.5 lacs more for an extra cylinder and all that accessible power. To rival it there was the Street Triple, another Triumph with an inline 3, but I was wary of the Triumphs. I had a KTM before, and it was a hot mess. Literally! And I wanted to tour on my bike, not just do breakfast rides. Some of my friends suggested the big, bulky, pricey ADVs, saying they were ideal for touring in India, but I didn't like their style or feel. They were too heavy and cumbersome for me. Hence, they were not on my list, as it was not a format that I enjoyed even if they screamed confidence for riding on Indian roads and conditions.

Suddenly, decisions got tougher than choosing your go-to pizza toppings.

Should I go for the Tiger 660, the new kid on the block with the Triumph pedigree? Or should I unleash the mighty Z900, a powerhouse that promises to make every ride an adrenaline-fueled adventure?

I plunged into the wild world of bike comparisons and test rides, knowing that in the end, it's not just about the machine - it's about the soul-stirring journey that awaits on two wheels.

Love at First Ride: The Z900 Dilemma

Ah, the allure of a powerful motorcycle can be irresistible. To my delight, the bike was fitted with a full system Akrapovic exhaust, and I found myself captivated by the sleek design and raw power of the Kawasaki Z900 after an exhilarating test ride. Convinced that this was the bike for me, i.e., 3 times the power of Duke 390 and familiar ergos, I eagerly placed the booking amount and excitedly shared the news with my wife. Little did I know that my journey with the Z900 was about to take an unexpected turn though; I had kind of forgotten the angelic beast about whom I had dreamt a few months (or a year) back.

The Deed is Done... Or Is It?

With the booking amount securely paid, I believed my fate was sealed with the Z900, but destiny had other plans. My wife, intrigued by my enthusiasm, requested a test ride of her own. Of course, she had all the rights to; after all, she was going to be with me on most tours. I agreed, nervously confident that the Z900's aggressive nature might not appeal to her.

The Unexpected Test Ride:

The next day, we found ourselves at the Anzen Kawasaki showroom for a pillion test ride, and the staff graciously prepared the Z900 for the same. I couldn't help but grin as the engine roared to life, anticipating my wife's reaction.

The Uncomfortable Reality:
As we embarked on the test ride, my elation began to wane. The brick-like seat designed for the pillion rider proved to be a major drawback. Despite the powerful engine and thrilling performance, my wife's discomfort became evident after just a few kilometers. The joy of the ride was overshadowed by cramped legs and backaches.

Returning to the showroom, I couldn't ignore the discomfort she experienced during the ride, although she wasn't showing it. It was a stark reminder that practicality often trumps sheer power. The Z900's seat design, while suited for solo rides, fell short in accommodating a pillion comfortably.

The bike may have captured my heart with its mind-blowing performance, but it brought a dose of bitter reality. Sometimes, compromises are inevitable in the pursuit of shared joy on the road. While the Z900 remains an exhilarating option for solo riders, the search for the perfect balance between power and comfort continued for us, but not for long. She reminded me of the angelic beast!

Kawasaki Anzen Showroom

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-anzen.jpeg

The Unexpected Joyride: Kawasaki Ninja 1000 SX - A Symphony of Power and Comfort

The guys at the showroom witnessed the slowly unfolding drama with the Z900's pillion discomfort, and they supported my pillion's alternative - the formidable Kawasaki Ninja 1000 SX. I kind of agreed to take the test ride, as otherwise I would have had to go to Triumph for the Tiger660 as the last resort. Intrigued and open to new possibilities, we got ready for the test ride, unknowingly stepping into a world of magical power with an unmatched comfort level of the N1KSX.

The moment the Ninja 1000 SX was rolled out, I couldn't help but be awestruck by its sheer size. Everything about it was massive - the tank, fairing, tires, and notably, the pillion seat. Adorned with a throaty slip-on Arrow exhaust, the bike emitted a deep, sweet, bassy sound that was a stark contrast to the Z900's full system Akrapovic.

Mixed emotions swirled within me as I swung my leg over the Ninja. The weight of the bike, coupled with the anticipation of a pillion and a full 19-liter tank - easily surpassing 300 kgs - weighed heavily on my mind. As I maneuvered the beast out of the showroom, my confidence took a hit, evident in the fact that I had to seek assistance in opening the main gate due to its wingspan (read : wide RVMs) and size. (For perspective, I took out the Z900 from the small pedestrian gate easily; however, for this beast, I had to ask the watchman to slide open the main gate.)

To my own surprise though, as I eased out onto the main road and shifted through all the gears into the 6th, the weight seemed to magically disappear! Riding a little above speed limits on the rare and sparse afternoon traffic of Mumbai Western Express Highway, the Ninja showcased its nimbleness on the move. The motor was silky smooth, literally carrying speeds of low 40s in the 5th and 6th gears. The bike pulled linearly without upsetting the pillion. The dash, all those buttons and the wide rear-view mirrors felt like a cockpit - the ergonomic comfort was through the roof; the same was conveyed by the missus.

Grinning Inside the Helmet
Despite initial reservations about the bike's weight, the joyride of 6 kilometers was an absolute delight. The symphony of the inline-4 engine, the responsive handling, and the comfort offered by the spacious design left me grinning inside my helmet the entire time (a key selection criteria, which I ask my friends as well when they come off a test ride for their bike selection journey). My pillion was also smitten by this angelic beast. The Ninja 1000 SX had not only surpassed expectations but had also become a serious contender for our next two-wheeled adventure.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-demobike.jpg

The journey to choosing the perfect superbike is often filled with excitement, dilemmas, and unexpected twists. After an eventful test ride on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 SX, my wife and I found ourselves handed a proforma invoice with a staggering INR 15,00,000/- on-road price. Unsure of the immediate next step, we humorously uttered the quintessential Hindi phrase, "soch ke batate hai" (we will think and confirm) and embarked on a metro ride back home, leaving the decision hanging in the air.

The Nightmare Week:
Little did we know that the superbike dream had just begun its evolution. The following week became a whirlwind of contemplation and research. Back to the drawing board, our first task was to gather all possible reviews of the Ninja 1000SX. As we delved into the online world, one name stood out - Sagar Sheldekar, or Sarge, whose YouTube review left us mind-blown (we had watched it a few months back as well, but I completely forgottten about it). His description of the Ninja 1000SX as an "intercontinental ballistic missile" resonated with our experience, highlighting its power, electronics, and comfort.

From Soch Ke Batate Hai to Superbike Dreams: The Evolution of the Ninja 1000SX Decision

A Detailed Dive:
The search for more insights led us to TeamBhpian KarthikK's extensive ownership log of his Ninja 1000 - Ninja1000 (Living an evolved dream: My 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ownership review. Edit: 5 years up!) This proved to be the most detailed review we had ever come across, requiring days and nights to absorb. KarthikK's insights delved into every aspect, from the bike's performance to long-term ownership experiences, solidifying our decision to choose the Ninja 1000SX.

Strength in Decision, Anxiety in Wallet:
As our determination to finalize the purchase grew stronger, so did the anxiety. The on-road price tag, nearly double our initial budget, loomed over us. There was also the added tension of explaining this seemingly extravagant purchase to our parents. Interestingly, while people around us were comfortable with splurging on overpriced apartments and cars, the idea of a motorcycle purchase triggered skepticism. The suggestion of opting for an SUV instead of a motorcycle floated around, questioning the necessity of such a purchase. But we were strong-willed.

After riding the emotional roller-coaster, April arrived, bringing with it a decisive moment. To my surprise, the missus stood strong behind me on the purchase, reinforcing her belief in the shared dream. With unwavering resolve, we put down the remaining amount, signalling the culmination of months of contemplation, test rides, and anticipation.

With the paperwork in motion for registration, I couldn't resist the urge to capture the first moments with our new companion. The Ninja was there, gleaming and ready for its new home - I approached the sales representative, inquiring if I could take a few pictures. His response, "This is yours, sir," it hit me - a wave of mixed emotions surged, excitement, gratitude, and fear - "What the heck have I done with my finances?!" and also "Chuck it yaar, abhi nahi toh fir kabhi?!"

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-ninja.jpg

The day for delivery was set, and what better auspicious occasion than Akshay Tritiya on the 22nd of April 2023. In anticipation of this significant day, I sent out invites to my close set of friends to accompany me for the momentous delivery. And so, on that special day, my clan gathered, bringing with them an infectious energy. I could feel their support and enthusiasm, turning this event into a celebration of shared passion. I'll let a few pictures do the talking now.

The big key
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-takingkeys.jpg

The Clan
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-group.jpg

Staff explaining the functions
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-functions.jpg

Taking the bike home (missus forgot the helmet at home in excitement - Puneri scarf and goggle to the rescue!)
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-forgothelmet.jpg

Granny performing the mandatory welcome puja
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-granny.jpg

Coming up next - First and Second service details, The 10,000 Kms review and First Tyre change.

Ride Functions and Report

Once the inital butterflies had settled, it was time to ride and put up the first 1000 kms to complete the run-in phase. But first, I needed to get acquainted with the beasty nature of this bike. So, I opened the Manual and read it like a holy book, noted down key points, and understood the specs. Here is a list of the features for quick reference. Currently, if you log on to Kawasaki's India website, you won't be able to view these details. I won't be regurgitating the spec sheet here again; instead, I have attached a few screenshots, along with my experience of them.

Engine parameters
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-3.jpg

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-8.jpg

Engine - This engine is powerful, period. With 142 bhp and 110 nm of torque, it's more than what you require for comfortable touring. The heat is managed by the radiator and fairing, the bike tends to heat upto 107F in city, fan kicks in at 100F, and on Indian highways you are mostly in high 80s. Ride this bike wearing slippers and you are guaranteed some good Tandoor feet.

Fuel - They have not mentioned this here, but all BS-6 bikes from Kawasaki, including this one, run strictly on 95+ RON petrol. This is not a deal breaker. Thanks to Indian Oil's XP95 product and its ubiquity, you no longer have to worry about its availability. Just ensure you download their App on your mobile and mark the fuel bunks in advance for your rides.

Transmission - 6 speed, with a positive neutral finder device as standard. Quick shifter Up/Down also comes as standard. However, it functions smoothly only in 3 conditions listed below. 1st gear itself does unmentionable speeds; the rest of them you are smart enough to figure out.
  • Engine should be above 3500 RPM
  • While shifting up, keep the throttle open. Do not close and try to switch gears.
  • While downshifting, Keep the throttle closed. Do not open and try to switch gears downwards.

Exhaust - Massive, just as all the other features of the bike and sounds electric; all the acoustics are provided by the Engine Intake howl single handedly.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-7.jpg

Assist and Slipper clutch - A must-have safety feature, which was first seen on the KTMs in India, this helps you bring down the speeds superfast without the wheel hops and slide drama.

Chain - The chain provided by Kawasaki is a self-cleaning chain. It has holes in each part of the chain, which keep extracting the grime out. This is the best in class from what I have heard and read. Maintenance is standard 600 Kms, ensure proper slackness is maintained. Any mechanic worth his salt would be able to do the adjustment, nothing complicated.

Suspension, Tyres, Brakes
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-4.jpg

Suspension - SHOWA - fully adjustable at the front and back for rebound as well as damping; I have kept the front as it is, but I do keep changing the pre-load on the rear with the adjuster provided whenever I have my pillion or luggage riding along with me. The stock setting is soft, giving you a sofa type feel, so keep adjusting till you find the right setup.

Tyres - Stock tyres are Bridgestone Battalax S22s, brilliant in Dry and Wet both, I have had good times utilizing them on ghat sections. On the straights, they do tend to square up, keep a little higher pressure. The company recommends 36psi at front and 42psi at rear riding 1 or 2 up, no change. These tyres generally last around 10k kms.

Brakes - These are Tokico branded as Kawasaki; the bite they offer is extremely good even afte 10k kms. I believe these should last another 10k kms. The Dual disc setup at front is what mostly you will use; rear also offers good progressive braking feel.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-tyres.jpg

Chassis specs and details

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-5.jpg

Chassis - Don't be deceived by this bike's spec sheet weight numbers. Once on the move, it's a hooligan in the right hands; the bike dives into corners without any drama both in dry and wet conditions, with or without a pillion. Generally, you tend to enjoy it more when riding solo and the tank is half empty; feels very light and nimble.

Warranty - Standard is one year; I have taken the extended warranty for 48 months by paying additional 40,000/- just for peace of mind.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-11.jpg

Electronics, Electronics, Electronics

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-13.jpg
  • IMU - The bike is equipped with a plethora of electronics, thanks to the addition of 6axis IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) that keeps monitoring the bike continuously.
  • KCMF - Cornering management for traction control, wheelie control, slide control, pitch control, and engine braking modulation
  • KQS - The quick shifter can be turned on or off manually from the console or phone app. I prefer it to be switched on always.

Basically, they have made the bike rider and pillion friendly. You have the safety net of electronics, and unless you do something really, really stupid, the back-office team here have always got your back. Simply enjoy the ride responsibly.

The visibly best part of the electronics suit:

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-14.jpg

Cruise Control - Before you all go with "What is the use of this function here in India?", let me tell you it's an absolutely smashing feature. Me and my buddy were riding back from Bangalore to Mumbai, and this was set at good speeds. Benefits? 3-fold!
  1. You can relax your throttle hand for long durations. (Read 30 mins)
  2. You can sip water from your hydration bag.
  3. And the best of the best - this will return a mileage of 23kmpl when set at 100/110kmph, 6000-6500ish rpms.

How to use it?
  • You should be riding above 40 kmph to activate it.
  • Press the set button once the desired speed is achieved.
  • Use the up and down button to increase or decrease speed.
  • To overtake vehicles, just throttle it out and leave, no need to disengage.
  • To disengage in emergency, pull the clutch or roll the throttle forwards. Alternatively, you can again click the set button.
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-9.jpg

Power Mode Selection - There are 3 presets provided: Rain - Road - Sport, which do not require you to set the power modes or traction control settings manually. However, there is a Rider mode wherein you can manually select any of the power levels by switching to High (100%) or Low (75%) where the throttle response is also subdued.

Smart Phone Connectivity - This is a little geeky area, providing no valuable information to regular/noob riders like me. Plus, it is cumbersome; you have to manually pair the phone every time and then you can see the complete ride log. If you like watching or interpreting data, you will love this feature. However, a quick note: to record your rides, you have to click the RECORD button on the app when you start the vehicle and press the STOP RECORDING button once the ride is complete, before you turn off the vehicle. In case this is not done, all the data will be lost. Apart from that. you can completely setup your bike from the phone app in case you do not wish to cycle through the menu on the dash.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-15.jpg

KTRC - The 3 preset riding modes help you with the traction control as per road conditions. 4th is the Rider mode selection, where everything is manually configurable.
  • Sport - Full Power | TC level 1
  • Road - Full Power | TC level 2
  • Rain - Low Power | TC level 3
  • Rider - you can try various combinations as per your needs and completely switch off the TC as well.

Electronic Throttle Valves - Basically Ride by Wire, which enables you to enjoy the riding mode functions and electronic cruise control functions.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-16.jpg
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-17.jpg

KIBS - Apart from the data provided by regular ABS module, this takes in the pitch, yaw, engine speed, etc. from the IMU and provides more accurate braking than your regular ABS.

ERGO Fit - 5-step adjustable clutch and brake levers, 4-step adjustable windscreen, adjustable mirrors, low seat option for short riders

Economical Riding indicator - When this light is blinking, you can assume that you are riding at speeds where fuel consumption is above 15kmpl. The max I have been able to achieve is 23kmpl using the cruise control function.

Phew, writing all the functions was super tiring. Please excuse me if I might have missed anything. The one I have intentionally skipped is the luggage mounting system; panniers currently cost 1.5 Lacs, color and key matched to your bike. There are 3 accessory ports where you can connect heated grips, mobile charger unit, and one under the seat - probably for a data logger. I haven't installed any of these, neither have I installed any additional lights as I wish to keep the bike bone stock. The only additions I have made are sliders, radiator grill, front fender extender, fork sleeves, handlebar grips, and a coat of Graphene.

Ride Report

It took me 2-3 weekends to figure out all the functions and settings. However, all the while I a did a couple of breakfast rides with my gang and a night ride with madam on board. A few pictures here before we start:

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-random-3-jpg.jpg

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-random-2.jpg

Dash
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-dash.jpg

Graphene coating done
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-graphene-coat.jpg

Grips installed
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-grip-puppies.jpg

Last edited by N1Krider_R : 26th November 2023 at 21:05. Reason: Putting up a comprehensive review in 1st post, will later add the travellogue
N1Krider_R is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 25th November 2023, 19:43   #2

Re: Touring 2up on our dream machine - Ninja1000SX

Continuing on the ride report.

Once the bike was home there were a few things to be done to make sure the basics were covered and on top of the list was Graphene coating. This was a must do item hence i straight up went to Pro Care and got myself an appointment. The picture posted above, where the bike stands on a footpath is post the detailing. The process took 2 days and INR 7.5K for a 1 year contract.
"https://theprocareauto.com/"
Details are as below :
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-graphene-coating-cost.jpg

BBQ Grill off
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-bbq-grill.jpg

BreakIn - I was so excited to start riding my new bike, but I had to be patient and follow the BreakIn method from the manual. It said I should limit the rpms and not go over 6000 rpm for the first 1000 kms, however, if required you could go above it and it wont do any harm. It took me a month to do that, but it was worth it. The bike was awesome even with the speed limit, and I enjoyed exploring some local places. I went to Ahura and Dutta snacks on the NH8, which were close by and had great food. And I also had a crazy first ride on the NH4 to Lonavla.

The BreakIn method followed was like this: Vary the speed and load conditions, use engine braking and acceleration, and check the oil level regularly. I did everything as instructed, but I also had fun with my bike. I didn't treat it like a delicate flower, but I also didn't push it too hard like a maniac. I think that's the best way to break in a new bike.

The BreakIn method as per manual is as below, i followed it to the T. Did not baby the bike at the same time did not cross the suggested limits either. Rode it in City as well as Higways to vary the conditions.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-breakin.jpeg

Fun first ride story (skippable) - I was so excited to take my new bike for a spin on Sunday, after getting it delivered on Saturday. I didn't have the number plates yet, but I had a Form-6 that said I could ride it from the showroom to my home within 100 km. I thought that would be enough, since I never had any trouble with my previous bikes. Boy, was I wrong! Just 40 minutes into the ride, I got stopped by RTO guys at the Thane-Mulund check naka. They asked for the documents of the bike, and I showed them the Form-6. Luckily, they were nice enough to let me go, it was early morning and they were groggy it seems to have the dates overlooked. That's when the fun began. For the next 100 km, it was kind of cat and mouse game, dodging toll booths and cops who might spot my red TC number. I finally reached Lonavla around 9 am, and had some breakfast and clicked some good photos. We had a great time, but I knew I had to get back home soon. The problem was, I didn't have a proper number plate. So we spent the next 3 hours looking for a shop that could make one for me. A local boy helped me find one, unfortunately his printer was not working. So I got a hand-painted number plate (which is now hanging in our hall way). The ride back home was much more enjoyable and relaxing, and I could really appreciate the bike's performance and features. I've done many more rides since then, which I'll share with you in another post as a part of travelogues.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-random-1.jpg

Observations post riding 10,000 Kms -

Warm up - The warm up part takes upto 3-4 minutes, bike starts and revs automatically upto 2k RPM and stays there for a couple of minutes. There are 2 Temprature gauges, 1 provides you with the reading of Ambient temperature, and the other one shows you the water temperature. The bike settles down at 1500 RPM while the water temp rises to 60F. This is the moment when you pull the bike in 1st gear and just release the clutch to get out of the housing complex.

Sound - I live on the 6th floor, and my wife tells me that the engine & exhaust noise is quite evident whenever i start the bike. However, once you roll down the street the bike kind of sounds electric, friends tell me it whistles. And if you are on a group ride with intercoms, the intoxicating intake howl is enjoyed by everyone connected.

Riding Modes - This part is really simple, 90% of the time you would be using the preset ROAD mode - where the power is set at 100% and Traction Control is set at Level 2
- RAIN mode - where the power is set at 75% translating to 100 Bhp and 82nm. Traction Control is set at Level 3
- SPORT Mode - Power is set at 100% and Traction Control is set at Level 1
These can be changed on the move as well, provided you completely shut the throttle and do not engage any of the brakes and gears.
- RIDER mode - i have an interesting story, will get back to it in the later part of troubleshooting.

Brakes - The bite these brakes offer is just amazing, mind you i am talking touring perspective and not track. The bike will stop on a dime if you want it to, tested this unfortunately on our South ride with a pillion and all that luggage.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-reservoir.jpg

Suspension - Factory tune is pretty soft. Ride is plush. Handles beautifully whether in corners or on straights.
The rear suspension - provides a preload up to 40 clicks from 0, and the factory setting is at 8. I usually bump it up to 15 for pillion rides and for solo rides it is at 10. I like the soft setting as the bike gobbles up all the undulations and tiny potholes, rumbler strips make the ride velvet smooth. Wife also admires the suspension capability of this bike and verdict - this is best feeling she has ever had riding pillion compared to all the previous bikes we had. The damping settings provide are 2.5 turns and the factory preset is also the same which is the softest, i haven't changed it.
The front suspension - provides a preload up to 15 clicks from 0, and the factory setting is at 15. Rebound (2.75 of 3.5) and Compression (1.75 of 3 clicks) is left untouched as well i did not touch the factory setting.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-preload-adjustor-remote.jpg

Engine & Power - Oodles of torque, available right from 3000 rpm makes moving this beast an easy tasks, triple digit speeds come in no time. While touring you can zoom past anything in a blink of an eye, even if you're cruising in 6th gear. No need to fiddle with the clutch or the gears, just twist the throttle and watch the world go by in a blur. Any other moving vehicle on the road can be overtaken in a couple of seconds, which kind of adds to the overall safety quotient. You don't have to plan or think much, the bike would get you out of any tricky situations on highways.
City riding - Mumbai traffic is a pain, you will be just burning fuel and generating heat. Keep a secondary bike for city usage, save your main bike for the open roads and the scenic routes. That way, you'll enjoy riding more and keep your bike in good shape. Period.

Gearshift & clutch - Butter-smooth is the word, gears are so slick that they slot in effortlessly. Combined with the Quick Shifter (QS) it's a different level of comfort altogether. I know QS are used for making time, but i use them for the comfort they provide for doing clutch-less shifts up or down. For KQS to work you need to be above 3k rpm for smooth shifts. Clutch is light and easy to operate, however, its painful in bumper-to-bumper Mumbai traffic.

Ergonomics & Comfort - I myself am 5ft 8inches and the bike feels absolutely comfortable to saddle on, given the narrow seam. I don't flat foot on this bike to be frank with the changes in suspension settings that i like. The rider seat is big enough to move around easily. The bike seems to be a good fit for people who are above 5ft 3inches. But again, its more of rider skill than what the bike does, so first take a good test ride, then decide.
Handlebars are close, they are neither clip-ons nor flat bars, kind of in between. The position feels a slight forward biased. However, it is nowhere near crouching neither is it upright where all the shocks are passed up the spine like on a Duke390 which makes it very comfortable to ride on long distances.
Levers on the handlebar are adjustable with 5 settings in case have big or small hands.
Me and Missus have done a couple of 750+ km a day rides without any complaints, its that good.
Wind shield is adjustable, however it directs all the airflow above your neck and onto the helmet. The tallest setting is the noisiest, exactly opposite of what i imagined. Hence, i keep it at L2 or L3 where the flow is smooth and buffeting is less. I am yet to figure out a solution for this, will keep the thread updated whenever i find it.
Controls & Switch Gear are easily accessible, nothing feels odd. Only thing is it will take time for newer riders to build muscle memory on them.
Apart from self-cancelling indicators, you have everything on board. You can cycle through the information on dash through the switch gear, alternatively they have provide 2 buttons on the dash as well in case required. Also note that there is not turn by turn navigation data available on the dash, which is kind of a bummer. The bike is all LED.

Rear View Mirrors are WIDE. Hardly any blind spots, big, clear and adjustable. When not in use, you can fold them once you park the bike. The best part is they help you manage the exhaust, body, luggage while filtering through. Similar to how cats use their whiskers to confirm the width, i.e. if they can pass through or not. City riding - Mumbai traffic is a pain, the RVMs will be hit by a Bus, Rikshaw or other bike.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-rvm.jpeg

Tyres - Stock tyres are more than enough for tourers, they handle dry and wet conditions like a charm, never have i felt in the last 10k kms where i have lost grip. Only thing is 2 up riding on straight roads will square them off sooner. The wheels are also strong enough for our road conditions, having hit a few nasty potholes, the rims look ok. I have switched on to Vredesteins at 10k km mark as the OEM Bridgestones had squared off and had a nasty puncture fix which was leaking air no matter what.

Handling - The bike dips into the corners like fish in water, don't fall for the size or weight mentioned on websites. This one loves corner carving, the tyres support it and the onboard Lean Angle data will corroborate this. Even with a pillion the dynamics don't change much, however, solo riding is much more enjoyable for which you have the usual breakfast rides. Low speed turns are scary af. You cannot take U turns or do quick maneuver at parking speeds, this is when the bike feels most heavy and will make you taste the ground. I had this experience twice, my advise, in case you find the bike going down in a parking lot situation please do not wrestle with it. Just leave, the protection kit will take care. I sprained my leg once while saving it performing a quick U turn.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-random-4.jpg

Headlamps are crazy good. This is a dual LED setup, i love night rides so much now with the Ninja. These lights provide you a different level of confidence. Spread on the lower beam is wide enough and the throw on high beam is absolutely smashing, you end up doing unmentionable speeds in the night as well which helps you cover good distances. The headlights are always "on" once the engine starts, once on the run you can switch to high beam. There is one caveat though, for using the high beam, you will have to be above 4500 RPM and get the Voltage meter read up on the dash. Use the lights judiciously with an eye on the gauge to see that the reading does not fall below 14V, else you will end up stranded with a dead battery. This point was mentioned by the SVC staff as well having seen many a cases. Nowhere in my ownership i felt the need to upgrade or change the throw settings or get any auxiliary lamps.

Low Beam
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-low-beam.jpeg

Overall NVH levels - I personally use ear plugs, however, the first thing i noticed was that the motor and exhaust are quiet, almost like an electric bike. Only once you cross 6K RPM you hear the intake howl, which is sweet. There are vibes on the fairing if you go north of 8K rpm, nowhere distracting though. Chain is also quiet, only on rough roads you would hear some clatter.

Fuel tank capacity & range - The tank is full metal and holds 19 litres of petrol. If you use it completely till the last light blinks you would have covered a range of 250-75 kms, the blinking last light holds 2-3 litres of fuel and can take you another 50 kms. Effectively 325 Kms is the tank range on this bike. Ride it spiritedly on you breakfast runs to Ahura, range will drop down to 230 kms. Personally, i fill up after 200 kms and mostly it fills up 9-10 litres of fuel. 700+ Km days on GQ or Expressways yield the most mileage thanks to the Electronic Cruise Control, which extracts 23kmpl mileage.

Search for XP95 bunks beforehand instead of getting surprised, alternatively you can also use Power95
Also notice the chicken strip on edges of the rear tyre - this is after coming down from Devarmane twisties.
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-xp95.jpeg

Fuel efficiency - As mentioned above, touring on highways = 20 kmpl. Spirited riding = 12 to 15 kmpl. City riding is under 10 kmpl, Mumbai traffic will suck up the tank and fry your legs.

Offroad / trail performance - This one can tackle bad roads, dirt roads. During our south trip we encountered a couple of wet, slushy road which were easily tackled, just had to switch to rain mode. However, it just cannot off road given the weight and ground clearance.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-off-road-2.jpg

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-off-road.jpg

Ground clearance - 135 mm is pretty low, but liveable. Bump up the pre-load and you should be ok. Riding two up with luggage, we scrapped around 70% of speed humps on our trip. You have to slow down and pray, there is no option. Solo riding is the best, still you might scrape the odd un-natural speed hump, the kinds we see in Mumbai.

Luggage - Please go for the Kawasaki panniers if you can afford the price and also have a good place to store them in your house. Else you can go for the Viaterra Condor Solot http://"https://viaterragear.com/col...le-saddlebags"

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-luggage.jpeg

Styling, design, build quality, fit & finish - PREMIUM !! Period. The moment i take the cover off the bike, it just shines and oozes premium whichever part you stare at. Coming from Yamaha and KTMs, this is a step up for myself. Even when compared to the Tiger660 this is leagues above. The plastic quality is also good, doesn't feel bad anywhere. Build quality is top-notch, no rattling noises. Neither do you see much usage of zip ties or electrical tapes like our mass manufactured bikes. Styling is minimal with the dual tone paint, minimal usage of stickers or badges. Like its name its silent does not scream look at me with bright colors like its siblings. It flies under the radar and only comes to notice when confronted from close corners. Kids go bonkers thinking its a ZX10R somehow, not sure what gives.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-styling.jpeg

Stand - Gets only a side stand which is sturdy and does not require an aftermarket shoe, can avoid. It takes the weight easily. For lubing the chain, I pull the bike on the side stand and get help to apply the chain lube. With the stock exhaust you cannot install spools on the swing arm, they will definitely come in contact given that there is not much clearance, so for bike wash and works i carry spare bolts in my pocket.

Service Costs & Maintenance

1st Service was done on 18th May 2023 and costed me - INR 9,377.83

Spares Total - 4,365.19
  • Oil Filter - 1,220.00
  • Oil FS - 2,808.19
  • Chain Lube - 199.75
  • Chain Clean - 112.25
  • Coolant topup - 25.00

Labour Total - 5,012.64
  • Service cost - 3,009.00
  • Accessory fitment - 354.00
  • Fender fitment - 885.00
  • Chain maintenance - 470.82
  • Consumables - 293.82

I had ordered a Puig Front fender extender http://="https://www.bikenbiker.com/...-sx-2020-puig" from BikeNBiker Bangalore, they sourced it for INR 4K and shipped it to Mumbai.
The fender was riveted on the bike at the Kawasaki dealership itself during the first service, for which they took my consent and got the job done.

Observe the front fender out of factory, very small. All stones, dirt, grime was flung up on the dash, forks and tank
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-radiator-grill-fork-sleev.jpeg

They also provided a diagnostic report which they said can be shared on public forum but refrained from sharing their checklist and did not allow me to click a picture.

2nd service was 6000 kms away, which came rather quickly, even the folks at svc were like "Changlich chalavli aahet sir tumhi" (You have ridden good kms, sir)

Service was done on 1st May 2023 and costed me - INR 13,989.83

Spares Total - 8,210.19
  • Air Filter - 2,570.00
  • Oil Filter - 1,220.00
  • Fuel System Cleaner - 1,299.99
  • Oil FS - 2,808.19
  • Chain Lube - 199.75
  • Chain Clean - 112.25

Labour Total - 5,779.64
  • Service cost - 3,009.00
  • Air Filter assy - 1593.00
  • Chain maintenance - 470.82
  • Washing Water - 413.00

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-service-anzen.jpeg

The Quality of after-sales service is up to the mark, however, i believe they overtightened the chain which was caught by a sbk workshop mech in Bangalore where we got the chain maintenance done. The mechs remark was "itna tight to KTM ka chain bhi nahi hota", which he quickly adjusted using a steel scale for measuring the slack. Once he marked with me on the bike, then asked madam to onboard as well and then set it up close to the tolerance mentioned on the svc manual.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-bangalore-chain.jpeg

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-motospark-bangalore.jpeg

The SVC also has a wheel balancer at the workshop and help with the tyre installation, you just have to get the tyres delivered to them. Which is very cool and convenient i feel.
However, the tyres which i have installed now, are from a shop outside Mumbai limits which are Vredenstine ST same spec as stock Bridgestones. This shop manually balanced the tyres and said compared to machines, manual balancing is very close and has upto 5gm error wt. (According to them machines are off by 10gms) A quick breakfast ride confirmed there were no issues with the fantastic job they had done.

Problems - In September amidst Konkan monsoons I had been to my native in Ratnagiri for Ganpati festival, where while returning the bike was misbehaving after a ghat section. It refused to move beyond 40 kmph while performing a overtaking maneuver, tried this in all the 6 gears still the same result. To make matters worse, there were no warning messages flashing on the dash, adding a touch of mystery to the situation. Acceleration was possible only if done super gradually, somehow i was able to reach the highway before which i refused myself to shut the bike, get down and check. Once on the highway, filled fuel and started the bike again after 15 mins. Not wanting to waste time, i switched to RIDER mode. Traction control off, Quick Shifter (KQS) on vacation, Full Power engaged. Lo and behold, the bike roared back to life without a hiccup. I cruised a cool 300+kms while the electronics were sleeping, reaching home safely. Next day i decided to take the bike to SVC but before that a much-needed SPA session was planned. After the wash i decided to switch back to normal ROAD mode and called the KQS back on the job. No problems whatsoever since then. My expert diagnosis? Some sensors probably got a bit too cozy with the muck, scarry situation to be frank.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-wash.jpg

Verdict (At the time of writing this review have done 10,100 kms)

My wife calls the bike a Gentle Beast, I have named her as Nimbus (Dark Cloud). This has been a great addition to our family, however, there are some obvious dislikes which one might have to live with or find other solutions, there is nothing that is not workable.
  • Cost of the bike - At 15.25 Lacs this is not a VFM bike for sure.
  • Service Cost - 6 month intervals, annually 25k in maintenance is on a higher side compared to say a Honda.
  • Weight of the bike - Most people are even scared to sit and take the bike out of parking, it once almost broke my knee.
  • Windscreen - Useless to be frank, maybe i am expecting too much or a ADV like cocoon to be created by this windscreen.
  • Spools - no place to install spools so that the bike can be put up on a paddock quickly.
  • Fenders - The front fender was so tiny i had to spend money and install an aftermarket fender, same is the case with rear fender.
  • Horn - Tiny horn which only you can hear as it echoes through the fairing.

To sum it up, this bike is a really good touring machine, an All Rounder if i may. This bike won't disappoint you for sure. Every time i feel a bit down, i just go out for a small spin and the Grin is back in the helmet. It fills you up with energy, smiles and happiness wherever you go. If you have the budget, there is no better Sports Tourer currently on offer in India in this 1000 CC category.

I'll be back with my travel logs once this ownership report is published. Until then, peace out, Ride safe.

Guess the 4-wheeler in the background.
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-hvk.jpeg

Last edited by N1Krider_R : 26th November 2023 at 22:01. Reason: Corrections and phots
N1Krider_R is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 05:13   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 07:28   #4
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine

What a detailed writeup! Loved your way of writing and a perfect way to start a Monday morning. Munch more miles, Happy motoring!
FueledbyFury is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 13:44   #5
BHPian

Thank you for sharing your journey with this gentle beast! Resonated with your decision making criteria - abhi nahi toh fir kabhi? .
Prashant_BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 14:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant_BHP View Post
Thank you for sharing your journey with this gentle beast! Resonated with your decision making criteria - abhi nahi toh fir kabhi? .
Thankyou for taking time and going through, my better half pushed me into getting the Ninja. Logic was ride these kind of bikes while you still have your health and strength. Sounds kind of YOLO logic, but it is true. Have seen many a senior folks listing out their bikes on OLX.
Old 27th November 2023, 14:50   #7
BHPian

Beautiful, poetic and heartwarming. Extending my Monday lunch break was worth it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Krider_R View Post
KarthikK's insights delved into every aspect, from the bike's performance to long-term ownership experiences, solidifying our decision to choose the Ninja 1000SX.
Same here, hoping to buy this beautiful beast in the future as well. For now, training my legs and skills with my 'RE Interceptor 650'.

Thanks for sharing.
NitNac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 16:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitNac View Post
Beautiful, poetic and heartwarming. Extending my Monday lunch break was worth it .

Same here, hoping to buy this beautiful beast in the future as well. For now, training my legs and skills with my 'RE Interceptor 650'.

Thanks for sharing.
Thankyou for the kind words, I ll keep the format same for the upcoming travelogue.
The Interceptor 650 is a beautiful machine, took a test ride last month. My cousin booked this bike and is awaiting delivery this December. Power and the exhaust rumble is so addictive. Loved it.
N1Krider_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 18:24   #9
BHPian

Hi N1Krider_R! Beautiful write-up. Seems like I have met my twin brother in terms of motorcycling parlance.

I too started riding circa 2010 on a humble Yamaha Fazer, although mine was blue in colour. Then moved on to a KTM Duke 390 in 2017, which I still own. While I have put an advertisement for selling this bike, the heart still doesn't want to let it go. I am certain that I will miss it , but an imminent relocation is weighing the scales in favour of cutting down the inventory.

Recent addition is a 2021 Ninja 1000SX which I have acquired in Jul 23. I was not getting a new bike here in Chennai/ Bangalore, hence, had to do with a pre-owned one. Below is a pic of the bike in its first and only long ride from Hyderabad to Chennai.
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-1.jpg

Quote:
Rear View Mirrors are WIDE. Hardly any blind spots, big, clear and adjustable.
Honestly, I am not satisfied with the area covered by these and yearn for a little more, especially on the highways. Wish they were a little bigger (not wider).

Quote:
With the stock exhaust you cannot install spools on the swing arm, they will definitely come in contact given that there is not much clearance, so for bike wash and works i carry spare bolts in my pocket.
Thanks a ton for pointing this out. I have swingwarm spools installed on my bike and didn't think of this limited clearance. The Kawasaki folks also didn't point/ note this limited clearance as late as the service done yesterday. having seen your post, I have just checked for any damage to stock silencer and this is what I have found:-Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-spool-damage.jpg
I shall remove spool on this side ASAP. Thanks again!

Quote:
Windscreen - Useless to be frank, maybe i am expecting too much or a ADV like cocoon to be created by this windscreen.
I keep the windscreen on the lowest position and have an extender installed. With this setup, I feel no major turbulence or wind-flow on my helmet unless there are cross winds. Even then, the effect is minimal.
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-windhield-2.jpgKawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-windhield-extender.jpg

My experience on the stock tyres is not as positive as yours. I have recently switched over to Michelin Road 6s and am loving them.

Wish you a lot of fond memories with Nimbus. Ride Safe!
Prashant1286 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 20:35   #10
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic ownership review and it was very fascinating to read your awesome story of how you came to own and enjoy this bike to the fullest!
Hearty congratulations to you and your better half, and here's wishing you many years of ownership and mile-munching with the Ninja 1000SX!

Quote:
Wind shield is adjustable, however it directs all the airflow above your neck and onto the helmet. The tallest setting is the noisiest, exactly opposite of what i imagined. Hence, i keep it at L2 or L3 where the flow is smooth and buffeting is less. I am yet to figure out a solution for this, will keep the thread updated whenever i find it.
Do explore the possibility of aftermarket visors if you like.
I use a Puig visor on mine and it has definitely helped with wind noise distribution (doesn't cut off the wind but instead spreads it out much better to avoid buffeting on the helmet area). There may be other brands too, but I have experience only with the Puig and can vouch for it.

Quote:
Fuel tank capacity & range - The tank is full metal and holds 19 litres of petrol. If you use it completely till the last light blinks you would have covered a range of 250-75 kms, the blinking last light holds 2-3 litres of fuel and can take you another 50 kms. Effectively 325 Kms is the tank range on this bike. Ride it spiritedly on you breakfast runs to Ahura, range will drop down to 230 kms. Personally, i fill up after 200 kms and mostly it fills up 9-10 litres of fuel. 700+ Km days on GQ or Expressways yield the most mileage thanks to the Electronic Cruise Control, which extracts 23kmpl mileage.
Interesting observation.
On the pre-2020 N1000s such as mine, the blinking last bar starts when there is ~4.5 litres of fuel left in the tank, so roughly ~80km can be done if wanting to run the tank dry (which we won't obviously), but for my model with normal cruising the blinking starts at roughly ~280-300km covered on the tank of fuel. So ~380-400 km is the maximum possible range with frugal limping added in at the end.

Quote:
Search for XP95 bunks beforehand instead of getting surprised, alternatively you can also use Power95
Have to add, nowadays XP95 is so common, at least in our southern part of the country that I have stopped keeping track of XP95 bunks now. To give the idle mind some work I instead try to track and use XP100 bunks, which are also surprisingly increasing more and more at strategic points on major highways here, lol! IOCL's IndianOil One phone app is quite handy - it keeps showing XP95/100 bunks which are closest to the current location, very handy to use while out touring.

Quote:
Ground clearance - 135 mm is pretty low, but liveable. Bump up the pre-load and you should be ok. Riding two up with luggage, we scrapped around 70% of speed humps on our trip. You have to slow down and pray, there is no option. Solo riding is the best, still you might scrape the odd un-natural speed hump, the kinds we see in Mumbai.
Down south most highway speedbreakers seem to be scientifically designed nowadays, so we only occasionally have this problem while touring here, maybe 1 in 10 or 12 speedbreakers.
I follow a simple hack for approaching the steep / badly designed high ones - after the front wheel completes the climb, flat foot on the ground and lift your weight off the seat momentarily (let the pillion remain in place), this reduces the sag and allows the rear of the bike to clear the speedbreaker easily. With this approach itself, 99% of the bad speedbreakers can be cleared without scraping. A disclaimer though - I am 6'1" in height so this is very easy for me to do, if you find it difficult to flat foot spontaneously, then this advice needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, lol!

Quote:
Service Cost - 6 month intervals, annually 25k in maintenance is on a higher side compared to say a Honda.
This seems rather high in my opinion. Service costs in general are around ~7-8k INR for routine oil change services, another 2k more if the air filter is replaced too. I think service costs should look high for you only in the first 7 months because that is the only time when you will be forced to replace engine oil twice in 7 months (due to the first service after running-in). This should settle down from the 2nd service and be reduced to just ~10k per year, if you run around 9-10k km a year. The 6-months service is mostly a checkup and intervene type service, which customers might be obligated to finish due to warranty precondition requirements I guess. Of course at your rate of running (10k km a year) you will be gobbling up consumables at a higher rate too!
Do check air filter condition before they coax you for unnecessary replacement - that might bloat up the bill by 2.5k everytime if it is not really dirty.

Last edited by KarthikK : 27th November 2023 at 20:43.
KarthikK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 21:09   #11
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the bike! Lovely thread too - wishing thousands of miles of happy ownership.

Quote:
There is one caveat though, for using the high beam, you will have to be above 4500 RPM and get the Voltage meter read up on the dash. Use the lights judiciously with an eye on the gauge to see that the reading does not fall below 14V, else you will end up stranded with a dead battery. This point was mentioned by the SVC staff as well having seen many a cases. Nowhere in my ownership i felt the need to upgrade or change the throw settings or get any auxiliary lamps.
I'm really surprised reading this part though - never heard of such a thing in any modern vehicle, forget an expensive one with LED headlamps. May be since I'm more used to ADV motorcycles where we run aux and headlamps without any issues usually.

You say people have been stranded with a dead battery while riding inside city etc (below 4500rpm) due to high beam usage?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th November 2023 at 21:13.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 21:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congratulations on the bike! Lovely thread too - wishing thousands of miles of happy ownership.

I'm really surprised reading this part though - never heard of such a thing in any modern vehicle, forget an expensive one with LED headlamps. May be since I'm more used to ADV motorcycles where we run aux and headlamps without any issues usually.

You say people have been stranded with a dead battery while riding inside city etc (below 4500rpm) due to high beam usage?
Thankyou CD for the kind words.

Well, it turns out adventure motorcycles boast stator coils that are the Arnold Schwarzenegger of the electrical world—bigger and brawnier. This is due to the anticipation that adventure riders will likely load up their bikes with additional electrical accessories like auxiliary lamps and other gadgets. Manufacturers understand that the electrical demands on the system will be higher for adventure motorcycles.
Yes, interestingly, the Service Center has reported cases of riders draining their batteries during extended high-beam usage while being under a certain RPM (4000-4500). While I've never been one to bother with voltage meters on my motorcycles, now it's a default setting for night rides.
N1Krider_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 21:40   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Even I find this really hard to understand. That too on LED's and on a reputed brand like Kawa!
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 21:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Do check air filter condition before they coax you for unnecessary replacement - that might bloat up the bill by 2.5k everytime if it is not really dirty.
Thank you KarthiK.

Yes looking at possible solutions on the windscreen, PUIG being primary one, considering many riders have them installed, i wish i could test the screen first on some bike before ordering one as they are pretty expensive.

Availability of XP95 has led met to tour such extensively, phew. Need to get the run rate down as you mentioned, many people commented that its too high for a SBK and you will end up spending a fortune on the spares.
Thanks for your input on the airfilter replacement, will skip it after checking the condition in January 6m service. Also, I am a bit confused when you say that "The 6-months service is mostly a checkup and intervene type service", do you not change oil every service? I am following the manual and changing oil every 6000kms or 6 months whichever comes first.

For the speed humps, your method sounds intriguing; in the past, my strategy was basically a mix of wishful thinking and fervent prayers for a smooth pass. And, on the fuel tank range; riding style definitely plays a role. I lean towards the cautious side, especially when riding two-up. While riding solo however the bike guzzles fuel. Maybe thats why the difference on tank range?
N1Krider_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 22:08   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Even I find this really hard to understand. That too on LED's and on a reputed brand like Kawa!
Never heard of anything like this among any fellow N1k owners in the last 5 years . The 2020+ models also use the same Bi-LED setup as the 2017-20 model N1ks so there should be nothing different on the SX models.

Quote:
Well, it turns out adventure motorcycles boast stator coils that are the Arnold Schwarzenegger of the electrical world—bigger and brawnier. This is due to the anticipation that adventure riders will likely load up their bikes with additional electrical accessories like auxiliary lamps and other gadgets. Manufacturers understand that the electrical demands on the system will be higher for adventure motorcycles.
Yes, interestingly, the Service Center has reported cases of riders draining their batteries during extended high-beam usage while being under a certain RPM (4000-4500). While I've never been one to bother with voltage meters on my motorcycles, now it's a default setting for night rides.
Maybe the service centre guys are having fun scaring owners with absurd theories such as this one - never heard of anything like this in my ~20 years of riding. Most bikes nowadays have alternators which can support a good deal of accessories in addition to the stock bike's electrical needs, even at idling RPM. Don't read too much into this guideline, there is no need to maintain >4500rpm. Pretty sure you won't find any such thing written in the owner's manual also, mostly it is a case of some chinese whisper rumours evolved among service centre technicians .

In practice, there have been so many occasions over the past 5 years when I have switched off the bike ignition using the kill switch (headlights stay on) for a couple of moments when getting off to shoot pics on inclined roads in the hills, etc before coming back and resuming the ride. LEDs drain very little power so they aren't as taxing as Halogens, even on the battery. With the engine on and the alternator working normally, no such drain risks should exist on a stock bike.

Quote:
Thanks for your input on the airfilter replacement, will skip it after checking the condition in January 6m service. Also, I am a bit confused when you say that "The 6-months service is mostly a checkup and intervene type service", do you not change oil every service? I am following the manual and changing oil every 6000kms or 6 months whichever comes first.
It depends on your running rate. There have been times when the 6 month date came up from the previous service, and I had probably only clocked 3k km in the last 6 months. The service centre team here in Bangalore had been kind enough to advise skipping that particular oil change and do it later or club it with the next annual service date. It should not be mandatory to change the oil and filters if you haven't been clocking the kilometres (of course warranty folks will say otherwise and ask to stick to the textbook method of date / running based intervals no matter what). General oil change interval on the owner's manual is 12k km and the 6-months service which comes in between is just to do a checkup and topup anything if needed. I usually change my oil and filters once in 8-9k km because Indian conditions are harsher. I have no warranty now though, so the interval frequency doesn't matter for me anymore in terms of consequences. Not sure how flexible the service centre in Mumbai is in this regard, but you could check with them since you have a 4 year extended warranty too.

Quote:
For the speed humps, your method sounds intriguing; in the past, my strategy was basically a mix of wishful thinking and fervent prayers for a smooth pass.
Do try it if you can flatfoot comfortably OR You can also try taking the speedbreaker in an oblique angle (like how one would do in a low-slung sedan) but you may need space to position the bike and approach that way (may not be possible in small towns amidst traffic). Also, check and bump up the rear suspension preload using the adjuster knob to a setting where the sag is not much. I set mine at around 12 out of 15 clicks when riding 2-up.

Last edited by KarthikK : 27th November 2023 at 22:37.
KarthikK is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks