Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2023, 23:26   #1
OmV
BHPian

Kawasaki dilemma: New Ninja 1000SX versus ZX-14R?

Hello Folks,

I saw a similar thread today about a member trying to decide on his choice of a 4-cylinder motorcycle. And that encouraged me to reach out to get any feedback about my predicament.
I am currently based in Massachusetts and I am looking to scratch the itch to get a motorcycle again. After a brief consideration of other brands, I settled on Kawasaki again due to my previous ownership. I had almost made up my mind to play it safe and get a current gen Ninja 1000SX which does it all. At the dealership, I spied a ZX-14r and a long-time dream resurfaced. Mind you, I have never ridden a 14r but always salivated at the idea of owing it some day whenever I have seen it in the flesh. The dealership did not have the bike ready for a TD, but just sitting on it I did not find it overly intimidating or very heavy. The ergonomics also felt very comfortable.
I initially did not pursue it due to the cost differential between the 1000sx and the ZX14r. I scourged dealerships within 500 miles and found one that was offering a decent (15%) discount on the MSRP. My local dealership has offered to match the discount making the ZX14r almost on par with the 1000sx financially. There are no discounts on the 1000sx due to the demand.

The ZX14r is not a dinosaur yet but is definitely long in the tooth. The only real piece of equipment I (think I) will miss compared to the is the 6 axis IMU. Bluetooth connectivity, riding modes, display screens etc do not matter that much to me. I am not planning to drag race or do insane speeds. The only draw the 14r has for me is a long-time pull towards it and limited availability. The replacement for this bike may probably have a supercharger and will be even more expensive.

Use Case: Mostly B roads, some interstate, no ungodly speeds due to fear of tickets. I understand this is too much bike for my needs, but it is more of an emotional need. Admiring it in the garage over the winter is also rewarding for me (even if it may sound ridiculous to others). The main question is does the ZX14r make sense in 2023 at this price point.

Background:
In the recent past I have owned a Ninja 650 (ridden ~32k kms) and a ADV390 (Barely ridden - sold due to relocation). My wife and I both love riding and have been missing being on 2 wheels. (We actually met on a ride in Mumbai and ended up getting married!). My wife has made up her mind on a Ninja 400 (she has owned a Ninja 400 before and does not want to change).

Any comments will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by OmV : 23rd October 2023 at 23:30. Reason: Added more context
OmV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 08:11   #2
BHPian

re: Kawasaki dilemma: New Ninja 1000SX versus ZX-14R?

Hello OmV, considering you get the 14R for the price of 1000SX, I would pickup the 14R if I was in your place. You have enough experience with the 650’s and I feel you have your heart set on the 14R too after reading the above lines. A few years down the line on the 1000SX(assuming you pick one up), the upgrade itch could eventually take you to the ZX-14R mothership. I love how the console and less intrusive electronics on the 14R works, and loved it every bit riding back to back with its real rival, the Suzuki Hayabusa. I would definitely suggest you pick something like the ZX-14R and call it a day, keep in mind that it wont be a high as a sitting posture on the 1000SX, but everything else works in the 14R’s favor.

Please note that this is completely my thought and I know people who vouch for the Ninja 1000SX. But a 14R at N1000’s price point seals the deal for me. Do consider others’ opinions, and more importantly try to get a test ride which can finalise the perfect ride for you.

Last edited by Xaos636 : 24th October 2023 at 08:14.
Xaos636 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 09:17   #3
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki dilemma: New Ninja 1000SX versus ZX-14R?

OmV - have you considered the insurance for the ZX14R? MA insurance rates can be quite insane, especially for the higher cc bikes. Progressive / Geico charge even upto 4k USD for annual insurance. Having read your post, I am guessing you have only ridden in India before and not ridden in the US. Check the insurance premiums of both the Ninja 1000 vs ZX 14R and then decide your purchase.

Last edited by no_fear : 24th October 2023 at 09:32.
no_fear is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 06:28   #4
OmV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
But a 14R at N1000’s price point seals the deal for me. Do consider others’ opinions, and more importantly try to get a test ride which can finalise the perfect ride for you.
Thank you Xaos636 - I got a test ride today and the bike felt amazing. Honestly I was surprised I did not feel intimidated at all and the bike has a very linear power delivery. The TD has all but sealed the deal for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
OmV - have you considered the insurance for the ZX14R? MA insurance rates can be quite insane, especially for the higher cc bikes. Progressive / Geico charge even upto 4k USD for annual insurance. Having read your post, I am guessing you have only ridden in India before and not ridden in the US. Check the insurance premiums of both the Ninja 1000 vs ZX 14R and then decide your purchase.
Thank you no_fear - I have received bundled quotes for both bikes which are on par with my expectations ($4k would have definitely been a dealbreaker!). I guess my age, lack of usage in the winter months and using the same carrier for the cars and the home coverage may have played a part. Thanks for pointing out this important and often ignored cost of ownership factor in any non-mainstream vehicle in the US.
I have ridden in the US only once before and the main difference I found Vs riding in India was my fear of tickets mostly kept the speed in check!
OmV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 07:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmV View Post
I had almost made up my mind to play it safe and get a current gen Ninja 1000SX
Reason enough to go for that that 14R, IMHO

Motorcycles are never going to be safe decisions, these purchases should be from the heart or else the itch will keep coming back
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 10:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Same same. I too moved on to a Hayabusa from a Ninja 650 and the ZX 14R was the main contender for the replacement of the 650 and I had test ridden one as well (never rode a Busa before I bought mine).

The Busa was ultimately finalized as Suzuki decided to bring in the Hayabusa to India via CKD and the OTR price difference between the two was a eye watering 5 lacs (INR 500,000).

Both the Busa and the 14R are bikes which are capable to keep one entertained and on their toes for one's lifetime as they produce so much torque and power that can never be put to use on public roads anywhere in the world ( before the Germans get offended except for the Autobahn ) which ultimately takes care of the itch of owning something more powerful then your current ride.

If money is not a criteria including annual insurance costs then the 14R is the bike to go for because it can pretty much do what the 1000SX can but you can't say that the other way around.

A friend owns a 2005 ZX 10 R with a Muzzy slip on and I always dreamed of having one installed on my 14R when I got one. I used to listen to this video almost on a daily basis.

P.S - Do listen to it with headphones

Last edited by SnS_12 : 25th October 2023 at 10:24.
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 10:28   #7
RMN
BHPian

Don't be intimidated by the 14R. While it does look a handful, it's pretty easy to handle and also has a decently linear power delivery. I'm just 5'7ish at 70kg and have enjoyed by time with the 14R.

Do get a test ride and try it for yourself.
RMN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 17:40   #8
OmV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
never rode a Busa before I bought mine).

A friend owns a 2005 ZX 10 R with a Muzzy slip on and I always dreamed of having one installed on my 14R when I got one.
Sns_12 - I did briefly consider the Busa (although it is slightly pricier in the US) but the zx14 parked 2 spaces away may have not let me consider it seriously!. The Muzzy slip-on sounds amazing and has a nice form factor (I am not a fan of the 'shorties'). Unfortunately it looks like Muzzy is no longer in business. I am keen on slip-ons to replace the heavy OEM bazookas (and yes for vanity of course). Suggestions are welcome.
I did not like the Akrapovic, TBR and Yoshimura slip-ons either due to the (ridiculous) pricing or the (lack of) change in the exhaust note. Coffman's dual "shorty" sound nice and have a black and red variant as well going with the bike's color scheme. If only they made a slightly longer can!

P.S - I have enjoyed all your threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
Don't be intimidated by the 14R. While it does look a handful, it's pretty easy to handle and also has a decently linear power delivery. I'm just 5'7ish at 70kg and have enjoyed by time with the 14R.

Do get a test ride and try it for yourself.
Thanks for the encouragement RMN. I am a shade above 5'8 and 70kgs and I was able to flatfoot on one side and flatfoot 3/4th of the way on both sides in sneakers. Riding boots should help some more. I briefly considered a lower seat but the OEM seat is real nice and after the TD I was confident it would not matter.

ZX14R owners / friends of owners - please share slip-on suggestions.
Old 25th October 2023, 22:06   #9
BHPian

Good luck! I ride my Bonneville year-round in Boston. As long as there isn't snow or salt on the ground, a sunny winter's day ride can be wonderful. Heated gear helps.

Hope to see you on a Boston Countryside Cruisers/New England Riders ride sometime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmV View Post
I guess my age, lack of usage in the winter months and using the same carrier for the cars and the home coverage may have played a part. Thanks for pointing out this important and often ignored cost of ownership factor in any non-mainstream vehicle in the US.
I have ridden in the US only once before and the main difference I found Vs riding in India was my fear of tickets mostly kept the speed in check!

Last edited by Perakath : 25th October 2023 at 22:11. Reason: Adding quote
Perakath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 23:28   #10
BHPian

My perspective as i own 14R since 2016 and i have done 39k kms so far:

Get the 14R for following reasons:

1. 14R is the best combination of Speed, Comfort, Reliability among all the other bikes across multiple segments.
As fast as the Supersports category on the public streets.
More comfortable than any other bikes except the Adv tourers and Goldwings
Extremely reliable as expected from Kawasaki.

2. 14R is extremely powerful and torquey, no other Touring bike comes close to it.

3. Excellent for riding with pillion also given the comfy and spacious seat for both.

4. Basic essential electronic safety net is there but no unnecessary electronics, making the ride very engaging and reliable also.

5. Even though it's heavy, CG and seat is low making it very managable and it's surprisingly nimble through twisties also.

6. Inline four symphony sounds great, bike is very smooth and refined both in terms of NVH and power delivery.

Avoid 14R in following cases:

1. If the rider is tall, say more than 5'10". Ergonomics arent suitable for tall riders for long distances. So not applicable at your height.

2. If most of the riding is expected at slow speeds.
14R starts giving all the thrills as you start exploring it's power which is seemingly unending for public streets. Even beyond 200 kmph it keeps pulling very strongly. Inline fours dont create much excitement at low revs, only Mid Range and Top End are enjoyable.
High engine capacity Twin cylinder bikes are always more fun at low and mid range due to their torquey natures.

Some Other tips:

1. Stock seat is very comfortable so dont change it. I am around 5'5" and i can manage the bike perfectly.

2. I like the sound of Akrapovic, it is great - my favourite, but the stock exhaust is too silent in 14R, N1000 sounds much better.

But, for your use case i would have gone for some 1000+ cc twin cylinder option with more upright seating like T120, Speed Twin 1200, Africa Twin, V-strom, GS, etc.
46TheDoctor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 02:21   #11
OmV
BHPian

A quick update on this thread - I did end up getting the Zx14R over the Ninja 1000!

The stock windscreen had a couple of scratches - probably from the dealership wiping down the screen. When this was pointed out in the PDI they were kind enough to swap out for a new screen and even gave me a choice of any screen I wanted. I went ahead with a zero gravity smoked screen and it looks better to my eyes than the clear stock screen.

The dealership also installed a battery tender harness for no additional charge. Access to the battery on the ZX14R requires removal of a fairing panel so this makes life easier.

The only other change I made was swapping out the stock end cans for M4 Dual Retro Drag Slip Ons. None of the multiple YouTube videos I saw do any justice to how sweet these sound. I have literally no use of any more performance from the bike and it is illegal in my state to install full systems.

All in all I am extremely satisfied with the bike and the buying experience. This was honestly a great surprise after the bad experience I had with a Ford dealership last year.
Contrary to my initial fears the insurance premium on both bikes combined (ZX14R and Ninja400) was almost the same as what I pay for my Tucson - which was a fantastic surprise.

I did opt for an additional 4 year extended warranty on both bikes (which has RSA as well) right away and there happened to be some a decent drop on it as well.

I did not get too much time to ride it - just a few 100 miles currently as I had to take an India trip suddenly. I did ride it this past weekend for the first time with the M4s and I had a smile plastered under my helmet. The happiness I get riding this bike and even looking at it standing in the garage more than justifies this decision. It has to be one of the best purchases I have made in the longest time.

Thank you to everyone who contributed towards this decision. I hope to keep this thread active once the weather thaws out.

With the Stock Exhaust
Kawasaki dilemma: New Ninja 1000SX versus ZX-14R?-stock-exhaust.jpeg

Kawasaki dilemma: New Ninja 1000SX versus ZX-14R?-stock-exhaust-2.jpeg

With the "better half"
Kawasaki dilemma: New Ninja 1000SX versus ZX-14R?-400.jpeg

Kawasaki dilemma: New Ninja 1000SX versus ZX-14R?-garaged-400.jpeg

With the M4 Exhaust
Kawasaki dilemma: New Ninja 1000SX versus ZX-14R?-m4-side-view.jpeg

Kawasaki dilemma: New Ninja 1000SX versus ZX-14R?-m4-rear-view.jpg
OmV is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 04:38   #12
OmV
BHPian

https://www.motorcycle.com/bikes/s-4...odels-44595934

2024 ZX14R announced for North America in the 40th Anniversary Edition livery (40 years of the Ninja lineage). The ZX-14R will be sold in this single color scheme in 2024.

While this color scheme looks great on a bike from the 1980-90s, somehow to my eye it looks out of place on a modern machine. I am glad the ZX14R continues to be sold at least in some parts (well just one I believe) of the world but I am happy I bought the 2023 color scheme while it is still available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks