Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2024, 14:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2024 Speed Triple 1200 RS (Carnival Red) | Booking, Delivery & Review

Bad luck mate! Hope the bike is back in ship shape soon and you aren't left waiting for these parts for too long.

By the way, never blame the car guys! I have read on some other threads that it is always the biker's fault and the hapless car guys have to suffer the consequences of us riding these missiles.
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 14:45   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
By the way, never blame the car guys! I have read on some other threads that it is always the biker's fault and the hapless car guys have to suffer the consequences of us riding these missiles.
Probably why we are banned from most roads now

Hope you put this behind Captain and get your bike ready to cruise, swiftly.
shabih is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 20:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSpeedy25 View Post
[b]

A four wheeler banged into my barely moving motorcycle from behind and knocked both me and my bike to the ground.
Hard luck Captain. Hoping a quick recovery for you as well as your speedy.

Did your finger got scratched despite wearing gloves?

We are under disadvantage from the word go if we are taking out a super bike in the crowded area. No matter how much you try, someone will brush the bike here or there(I am speaking this from personal experience).

There’s a reason why weekend morning rides are so famous

Last edited by abhi_tjet : 30th January 2024 at 20:34. Reason: Added a line
abhi_tjet is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 17:55   #34
BHPian

Nice bike and tough luck with the accident. I am assuming you have zero dep insurance which is a must for these bikes and to survive the unruly thugs that plague our roads. Ride safe
AKSO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 20:42   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

tough luck buddy, hopefully this gets sorted out soon but with triumph pats may take some time, though on better luck, the parts damaged should ideally be in stock and you should be able to continue riding if you so want, albiet with the levers changed.

I see you frequent Kolar CCD, if you are looking for a riding partner feel free to drop me a note, I usually do ride that side on the weekend. Kudos to you also to take your bike to office daily, I can never even think of doing that in crazy bangalore traffic.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 22:20   #36

Thank you everyone for the kind words and the solidarity! I know the biker community is always at a disadvantage (especially the big bikes) and the squids on YouTube/other Social Media only damage our reputation further. But it is indeed disheartening to be at the receiving end of people's perception that just because it is a "big bike", the insurance will take care of everything and the culprit can be let off.

The insurance people have assessed the damage and since it is a zero depreciation, they stated 80-90% of the cost will be covered. What won't be is consumables, labour etc. Cops here have assured that once I get the estimate from insurance company (Triumph finally gave a total of 1,70,347/-. Initially they quoted 4 Lakhs!!), they will try to get the remaining amount from the offender. If, however, she doesn't comply, they will look at other options to recover the money from her.

Triumph SVC has assured me that once they get the go-ahead from the insurance company, they will place the order for the parts (if it is in stock, it might take about 25 days. If it's in back-order, it will take longer). Mentally prepared myself for a delay of at least 2 months (if not more).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I see you frequent Kolar CCD, if you are looking for a riding partner feel free to drop me a note, I usually do ride that side on the weekend.
Would definitely stop and say hello the next time we meet (do not have the PM option enabled yet) and join you for a ride!
CaptainSpeedy25 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 11:00   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the kind words and the solidarity! I know the biker community is always at a disadvantage (especially the big bikes) and the squids on YouTube/other Social Media only damage our reputation further.

But it is indeed disheartening to be at the receiving end of people's perception that just because it is a "big bike", the insurance will take care of everything and the culprit can be let off.

Cops here have assured that once I get the estimate from insurance company (Triumph finally gave a total of 1,70,347/-. Initially they quoted 4 Lakhs!!), they will try to get the remaining amount from the offender. If, however, she doesn't comply, they will look at other options to recover the money from her.
This is a royal swindle that we bikers have to endure. No way that the cost of damage is even 1/10th of that amount.
There are a few factors at play here, dealer realising that insurance company is paying so jack up everything.
Cost of imported spares and the rider's insistence that its definitely not my fault so why should I take any hit whatsoever (rightly so, but may not be practical in our real world).

I'm a big biker (and a brother-in-arms) too and while my heart goes out to you, I strongly urge you to speak with the concerned stakeholders first and find out how much are you going to get (out of the car owner). Even if the insurance company is saying they'll pay 80 %, it still boils down to in excess of 20 grand to be paid plus the next year's premium being jacked up for you. Do the mental math, check the various possibilities (including running around the cops) and then decide wisely on what to replace will be my advice brother.

Unfortunately, this is no country for people to stretch to indulge in their passion. If you have the money to buy a big bike, you are expected to be able to foot the bill and not crib about such things.

Guess its a good thing we are being banned from most roads, we are indeed a nuisance to them if we start insisting on them paying up. With public perception solidly against, no manufacturer support, no consideration from the law makers or the enforcers (traffic cops ever ready to charge you with racing, onus of proof be damned), time to sell my bike and move to a beater car is coming nearer and nearer.

Last edited by handsofsteel : 27th February 2024 at 11:05.
Old 27th February 2024, 11:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
This is a royal swindle that we bikers have to endure. No way that the cost of damage is even 1/10th of that amount.

With public perception solidly against, no manufacturer support, no consideration from the law makers or the enforcers (traffic cops ever ready to charge you with racing, onus of proof be damned), time to sell my bike and move to a beater car is coming nearer and nearer.
I hate to admit but this is why RE big bikes sound like such a great deal even though there are clear quality issues.
shabih is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 11:52   #39
BHPian

Quote:

The insurance people have assessed the damage and since it is a zero depreciation, they stated 80-90% of the cost will be covered. What won't be is consumables, labour etc. Cops here have assured that once I get the estimate from insurance company (Triumph finally gave a total of 1,70,347/-. Initially they quoted 4 Lakhs!!), they will try to get the remaining amount from the offender. If, however, she doesn't comply, they will look at other options to recover the money from her.
According to OBV, the resale value of the 2010 2nd owner Hyundai i20 Sportz 1.2 is 1.3-1.4 lakhs. Even if she sells her car, she can't pay the damages. The audacity of offering Rs.2000 !!!

I suggest you to buy a dashcam equivalent for motorcycle.

It's sad that the policeman did not know the difference between third party insurance and own damage.

In western countries, the percentage of liability of the vehicles is decided by the court based on the evidence (responsibility is fixed) and that percentage of the repair cost will be taken up by the party. For example, if the judge fixes 75% responsibility on the car and 25% on the motorcycle (hypothetical) and the cost of repair is Rs.1 lakh, then the car's third party insurance will pay Rs.75000 and motorcycle's own damage insurance will pay Rs.25000. There is no such system in India, as far as I know. So the bigger vehicle (in this case costlier vehicle) takes all the monetary damages.

Last edited by Arwin07 : 27th February 2024 at 11:54.
Arwin07 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 18:41   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Update at 2400+ KMS: A series of unfortunate events:

she accepted and said she would pay Rs 2000 to cover the damages
You are lucky she agreed to pay Rs 2000. A couple of years ago, I was in Kammanahalli with my wife riding pillion on the KTM and I stopped on my side of the road, right next to the footpath to order some pani puri. A car being driven by a lady came from the other side and dashed into my bike and hit my wife! I started talking to the lady and she had the audacity to say she hit us by mistake (for people who don't know, Kammanahalli has pretty wide roads).

A crowd gathered and I lost my cool. I responded, 'what the hell are you saying? How did you hit my wife by mistake when it's such a wide road'. Guess what, the lady started shouting she will call the cops as I've outraged a lady's modesty!!! I wonder if she even understood English. I asked her to call the cops and I will wait however, everyone in the crowd requested me to just leave and not to waste time with someone who was clearly out of their mind!

Unfortunately, these are the kind of people bikers need to deal with.
HDx440Life is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 19:14   #41
BHPian

Insurance in India doesn't work like you think it does.

3rd party insurance doesn't cover you, it only covers damage to public property.

You can't claim her insurance to pay for your damages.

Even calling the cops doesn't help.
Your best bet, and I've been in far too many motorcycle crashes to count, is to protect yourself and get help for yourself unless someone is injured.

You're on your own sir. That's the best part about India. You don't need to wait for anyone to start taking action.

Even your premium doesn't go up if you do claim insurance and even if you do tend to lose your NCB, it's not so much for a super bike.

Last edited by Otto : 27th February 2024 at 19:16. Reason: Spelling, added statement
Otto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 12:34   #42
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I can say you put up more fight than most people would dare to do. What happened to you is inline with general template of what usually happens in scenarios like this. Sadly, education has not tempered in our people the propensity to blame the innocent party.

In mature western countries, people normally apologise and exchange insurance information and offer to pay for the excess not insured. They understand that accidents are bound to happen and know that insurance will cover everything. They also understand that hurling abuse and venom will not bring that broken bumper back to life.

In our country, people instantly blame each other for the accident, hurl abuses and try to gather public support in their favour. Usually, the poorer of the two will get the public support. If a female party is involved, the male gender is just expected to let it go. You did the right thing by calling the police. Because once the lady starts to claim harassment, a simple road accident case turns into a sexual harassment case. And there are plenty of horror stories in India where men have lost their entire livelihoods from a false accusations. Sad reality is you cannot change society's mind, law and the police. But what you can do is install a dashcam.
true_sedan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 14:14   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Cops here have assured that once I get the estimate from insurance company (Triumph finally gave a total of 1,70,347/-. Initially they quoted 4 Lakhs!!), they will try to get the remaining amount from the offender. If, however, she doesn't comply, they will look at other options to recover the money from her.
Excellent, if you have exArmy contacts in the police, make sure they give the couple the works. this one incident is enough for her husband to keep this squid driver of a wife off the roads and keep us bikers safe. Do let us know how the saga went with them - they have to pay the price for their carelessness. I personally will never buy a sport bike above the Duke 390 power class without a GoPro on my helmet just to keep myself safe in case I land in trouble as being the "big bike racer in racing suit" guy.
This 2000 rupee mentality - i have money, take it and leave it at that is increasingly becoming more prevalent in the IT areas. Generally people keep their distance from expensive looking bikes but these type of people are generally fools who shouldn't be in the drivers seat.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 28th February 2024 at 14:17.
100Kmphormore is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 22:18   #44
Senior - BHPian

There is a simple rule I apply in case of accidents...if I can drive away and no one is hurt you just drive away. If needed get a written undertaking that no further cases will magically pop out of the blue. I've seen that happen to some of my friends too.

Insurance and claims here is a bloody joke. I've had a cousin of mine run pillar to post to get the idv value of his car after being totalled thanks to another nincompoop that slept off. Again the interactions with the police, the so called "independent" insurance surveyors and the insurance manager was an experience in itself. What is a straightforward process in most nations is a bloody mess of red tape here that the insurance companies also love since it serves their purposes well. Better to prioritise your mental and in certain cases physical health and let it slide.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 29th February 2024 at 22:19.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks