Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2023, 22:14   #1
Team-BHP Support

2024 BMW R 1300 GS unveiled

BMW has unveiled the latest iteration of their flagship tourer - the R 1300 GS.

Some of the highlights as claimed include -

Quote:
  • Completely newly designed boxer engine with bottom-mounted gearbox and BMW ShiftCam technology for varying the valve timing and valve stroke on the intake side.
  • Most powerful BMW boxer engine ever.
  • Powerful response across the entire engine speed range, exemplary fuel consumption, emission levels, running smoothness and refinement.
  • Output and torque: 107 kW (145 hp) at 7 750 rpm and
  • 149 Nm at 6 500 rpm.
  • Knock sensor system for optimised travel suitability.
  • Completely redesigned suspension with sheet metal shell main frame and die-cast aluminium rear frame. Even greater steering precision and ride stability thanks to new EVO Telelever with flex element and revised rear wheel guide EVO Paralever.
  • Weight reduction of 12 kg compared to the previous model.
  • BMW Motorrad Full Integral ABS Pro as standard.
  • Four riding modes as standard.
  • Engine drag torque control (MSR), dynamic brake assist (DBC) and ride-off assistant (HSC) as standard.
  • Driving Modes Pro with additional riding modes as optional equipment ex works.
  • Dynamic Traction Control DTC as standard.
  • Electronic Dynamic Suspension Adjustment (DSA) as optional equipment ex works, with dynamic adjustment of the damping and spring rate, and also load compensation.
  • Adaptive vehicle height control and sports suspension as optional equipment ex works.
  • New matrix LED headlamp as standard.
  • Headlight Pro with adaptive turning light as optional equipment ex works.
  • Hand protectors with integrated turn indicators as standard.
  • Lithium-ion battery with Battery Guard (service function via BMW Motorrad APP) as standard.
  • Dynamic Cruise Control (DCC) with brake function as standard.
  • Riding Assistant with Active Cruise Control (ACC),
  • Front Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Change Warning (SWW) for safe and convenient motorcycling as optional equipment.
  • Smartphone charging compartment with integrated USB socket and additional 12 V on-board power socket as standard.
  • Seat heating for rider and passenger for enhanced touring suitability as optional equipment ex works.
  • Handlebar riser by up to 30 mm as optional equipment ex works.
  • Wide range of seat height variants as optional equipment ex works.
  • Connectivity: multifunctional instrument cluster with 6.5-inch full-colour TFT screen and numerous features as standard.
  • RDC, Keyless Ride, heated grips as standard.
  • Intelligent Emergency Call as optional equipment ex works.
  • Attractive basic variant along with the model variants
  • Triple Black, GS Trophy and Option 719 Tramuntana.
  • Extensive range of optional equipment, Original BMW Motorrad Accessories.

Increased range of standard equipment in the new BMW R 1300 GS compared to the previous model:
  • Heated grips.
  • Keyless Ride (steering, ignition and fuel tank lock).
  • RDC.
  • MSR.
  • BMW Motorrad Full Integral ABS Pro.
  • Cruise control DCC with brake function.
  • LiO starter battery.
  • Hand protectors with integrated turn indicators.
2024 BMW R 1300 GS unveiled-p90520820_lowres_thenewbmwr1300g.jpg

2024 BMW R 1300 GS unveiled-p90523537_lowres_thenewbmwr1300g.jpg

2024 BMW R 1300 GS unveiled-p90520791_lowres_thenewbmwr1300g.jpg

2024 BMW R 1300 GS unveiled-p90520736_lowres_thenewbmwr1300g.jpg

2024 BMW R 1300 GS unveiled-p90520749_lowres_thenewbmwr1300g.jpg

2024 BMW R 1300 GS unveiled-p90524457_lowres_thenewbmwr1300g.jpg

2024 BMW R 1300 GS unveiled-p90520805_lowres_thenewbmwr1300g.jpg

2024 BMW R 1300 GS unveiled-p90520737_lowres_thenewbmwr1300g.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th September 2023 at 23:20.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 06:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2024 BMW R 1300 GS unveiled

The launch video last night itself was seemed a bit quick and sketchy with promise of more information today.

My own first reaction & key takeaways:
  • The headlight design is arguably the most polarising aspect and received the most sharp criticism, specially from existing owners. My sense is it’ll likely look better in the flesh and it will also grow on people once they get used to it.
  • I love that they’ve consciously chosen not to get bigger and fatter but have gone towards shedding weight and volume. I welcome a full fat (in CC, power and torque terms) ADV that’s gone on a diet in weight and volume terms.
  • Dynamic suspension that brings the bike lower when it comes to a stop is going to be particularly nice for shorter riders. Something like what the PAN America does.
  • Its not gone on a power war with competitors, still coming in at perhaps the lowest power figures in this segment. What its stayed true to (agreeably so for me at least) is its class leading torque output, which has gone up by a significant 9 NM IIRC.
  • At the risk of repetition: 12 kg weight saving is very very welcome. The kerb weight is a fairly agreeable 237 kgs now.
  • I really hope they have the ability to sell top spec bikes WITHOUT the hassle of ADAS. Fingers crossed but I’m not hopeful.
  • Turn in signals integrated into the handlebar is a huge thumbs down for me. These bikes get dropped - and its not going to be a peach cost wise if its going to be a more expensive part courtesy the integrated indicators. Also not sure if it’ll lend itself well to aftermarket stuff like barkbusters etc but we’ll see.
  • Rallye versions are now called Trophy (that’s the case in the 2023 1250 as well) and come with enhanced travel. Expect them to come in slightly taller too. I think I saw somewhere that it “won’t” have the integrated turn signals.
  • There is a low seat option still which will drop seat height by about 20 mm.
  • Curiously, I couldn’t get a proper sight of the rear / tail lights anywhere. Maybe I just missed it but its definitely not there in any of the prominent pics being displayed - all of them being front / side biased orientation.
  • I didn’t see any mention of CarPlay. Would really love it if they can integrate this feature in. So far only the Africa Twin has it if I’m not mistaken. Far more usable than ADAS in my opinion. From what videos I’ve seen of the TFT, I don’t expect it to have it.
  • To my eyes, the Triple Black and the Trophy looked the standout options. Many others seem to feel the same way (or at least those who are not immediately put off by it).
  • Test mules are expected to come quite soon - some time this calendar itself with bikes to go on sale soon after. So you’ll have plenty of real time ride reviews to watch before it hits our markets.

As someone who doesn’t currently own a GS - I LOVED this new iteration of the GS. I think a lot of GS fans & owners though don’t like the design aesthetics of the 1300 and I can understand why the looks are polarising.

These two videos from MotoBob and TheMissendenFlyer are probably the two better immediate analysis from the YouTube community. They’ve distilled it well in a compact format.

For a funnier take on the whole spec sheet, here’s another one.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th September 2023 at 21:25. Reason: Kerb weight corrected. Thanks
Axe77 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 20:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

My own first reaction & key takeaways: [list]
[*] At the risk of repetition: 12 kg weight saving is very very welcome. The kerb weight is a fairly agreeable 137 kgs now.
I guess you meant 237 kgs here, correct?

Quote:
[*] Rallye versions are now called Trophy (that’s the case in the 2023 1250 as well) and come with enhanced travel. Expect them to come in slightly taller too. I think I saw somewhere that it “won’t” have the integrated turn signals.
So in today's (yet again short and rushed) Q&A session live stream, the BMW designer mentioned that the Rallye versions won't have the turn signals integrated into the handguards - but will come integrated into the front side fairing. Again there was no visual of this so will have to leave it to test rides.

He mentioned that if one goes for the ENDURO PRO package - the turn signals will be placed below the windshield (like in the current models).

Quote:
[*] Curiously, I couldn’t get a proper sight of the rear / tail lights anywhere. Maybe I just missed it but its definitely not there in any of the prominent pics being displayed - all of them being front / side biased orientation.
So the tail light is integrated into the turn signals like in the current 1250 models - the turn indicators will be 'mild red' and become 'bright red' when the brakes are applied. There is a smaller triangle where the amber lights will illuminate when the turn indicators are toggled. I'm unsure if this will be approved by our RTOs here.

Quote:
As someone who doesn’t currently own a GS - I LOVED this new iteration of the GS. I think a lot of GS fans & owners though don’t like the design aesthetics of the 1300 and I can understand why the looks are polarising.
Same here. Was on the fence with two of my fellow riders upgrading to the 1250 GS and GSA within a year's span. Decided to wait for the '1300 reveal' and I am quite loving it. I'm curious - you didn't like the Option 719 variant (the green one with Gold rims and golden handlebar)?
TheVaas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 16:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

The bike looks like G310GS on steriods. They've meticulously tried to reduce flab wherever necessary and it shows, and in doing so gain the benediction. The essence of BMW where those assmetrical headlights. I've personally never ridden this motorcycle, but I've always felt a connection to those wonderful offset headlamps. It not made it deliberate, it also gave it that "tough nut" edge. Now though, not to sound sacrilegious, it deliberately looks like a toy, coupled with those alloy wheel addition. The rest of the electronic and tech savagery is typical BMW.

Talking of which, this motorcycle fascia reminds of these two.

2024 BMW R 1300 GS unveiled-pred.jpg

And the ephemeral Fazer 250

2024 BMW R 1300 GS unveiled-pred-2.jpg

Cheers!
VJ
Old 30th September 2023, 20:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
I guess you meant 237 kgs here, correct?
Haha yes of course - sorry that was an inadvertent typo. Definitely not in dirt bike weight class.

Quote:
So the tail light is integrated into the turn signals like in the current 1250 models - the turn indicators will be 'mild red' and become 'bright red' when the brakes are applied.
Yes he clarified this also in the Q&A video. I’m not sure I’m a fan of this style of braking light set up though. I had never noticed it in the current 1250.

Quote:
I'm curious - you didn't like the Option 719 variant (the green one with Gold rims and golden handlebar)?
Nope. That color combo didn’t work for me at all. I loved the Triple Black and the Rally / Trophy hands down. Let’s see when they announce launch dates for India. I can’t imagine it’ll come anytime before March.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 00:36   #6
BHPian

Not sure if I should like or hate the new GS. I mean, we all wanted a lighter GS so thank you BMW for giving us a lighter motorcycle but the headlamp combo? Not very pleased. Was the inspiration taken from the new Porsche LED headlamps? Will miss the asymmetrical headlamps of the old GS for sure. It had a quirky and fun character.
Old 2nd October 2023, 14:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Is there a possibility of a GS 1400 as rumoured earlier or a GSA 1300? The product Manager from BMW during launch said there could be other products on this platform.

To make the 2024 GS lithe, drop weight, one of the measures adopted is the fuel tank has been reduced to 19 litres, though they say with the fuel efficiency of the boxer engine it will still run long distances. This could possibly put off customers who were looking for at least a 22 litre tank and/or a model with a 30 litre tank like the current GSA.

Are we going to see a bigger GSA kind of model with even more power and/or a 27 (they dropped 3 litres in this model) to 30 litre tank to satisfy the current crop of GSA enthusiasts.

I feel this could be a possibility in the near future because otherwise a lot of people may not upgrade and those who buy this one at launch could feel cheated that BMW didn’t reveal both at the same time so they could choose. Inversely if there is no other model, this could be good news for existing 1250 owners as resale prices could become higher.

The polarising looks, headlight, overall slimmer design and lesser fuel tank capacity may become a deal breaker and cause a potential drop in sales. This could hold true for those who like their GS/GSA to be big and mean looking versus being slimmer or compact.

It would make more business sense for BMW Motorrad to create two distinct product lines as in the past. This way they can continue to cater to the needs/demands of everyone in the market for this model as they have historically and profits go up exponentially.

Thoughts folks?
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 14:43   #8
Team-BHP Support

@Cyborg: There was active chatter of a possible 1400 coming out at a later date although I can’t recall anything from BMW on this during the 1300 launch.

I’ll be very surprised if they don’t retain both the GS / GSA distinct product lines and my sense is that a GSA equivalent launch (perhaps captioned 1400 or whatever other nomenclature) will most likely come through at some point of time.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 15:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Cyborg: There was active chatter of a possible 1400 coming out at a later date although I can’t recall anything from BMW on this during the 1300 launch.
The chatter was what I was referring to Axe as a possible rumour for another GSA type model, 1400 or 1300, either ways.

Check out the “Your Questions and Our Answers” video, link below at the 20:30 timeline, Reiner Fings the Product Manager for the 2024 GS states they have plans for this 1300 cc engine in other applications. This could be opening the door for a GSA type model or others, time will tell.

https://www.youtube.com/live/rf1A8TH...a6yyqSnNPnFqpS
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 16:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

They already use 1200/ 1250 on multiple variants. I am sure they will like to move everything to a newer engine: less weight, different (better?) gearbox position.

Maybe they term the new GSA 1400 with a slight bump in power?

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd October 2023 at 17:34. Reason: Minor edit
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 16:59   #11
BHPian

I checked with BMW Lutyens Motored team today about launch of 1300 GS in India and they mentioned : Maybe next year!

Has anyone heard / read about probable launch timeline in India?
Old 24th February 2024, 17:51   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh89 View Post
Has anyone heard / read about probable launch timeline in India?
From what I’ve heard, expectation is late April / May bikes launch with first lot of delivery bikes expected by June / July.

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th February 2024 at 13:39. Reason: Minor typo.
Old 25th February 2024, 09:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

The GS1300 launched a few months back in Singapore. Pricing is steep. Previous model used to retail at around $65-72k depending on variant and GS/A. This one comes in at $81-84k which is mighty steep. In India, does BMW command a steep premium over Triumph and AT/ATAS or SADS/R ? There the pricing hierarchy is Honda AT-ATAS-SADS-SADR-Tiger rally explorer-GS. Triumph doesn’t sell the 1200GT explorer here.

This, I believe is too steep for the benefits of a BMW. With the 1250 still commanding good demand, I wonder if it makes sense to run both engines in parallel.

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th February 2024 at 13:39. Reason: Very minor typo.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 10:54   #14
BHPian

I was informed by JSP Motorrad that the bike is launching on 10th June followed by deliveries of those who pre booked. Curious to know how much the price will increase compared to the 1250.

Also, is a GSA version on the cards?
Old 28th May 2024, 10:40   #15
BHPian

The launch is going to be in the Leh/Ladakh region. Pricing is expected to be just a little bit more than the 1250
killjoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks