Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2023, 11:24   #1
BHPian

Spied Testing: Triumph Daytona 660

Hi All,

Seems like Triumph is testing 660 cc fully faired bike (maybe Daytona ) in Europe.
Here is the link for reference:
https://www.rideapart.com/news/68279...60-spy-photos/
Old 21st September 2023, 13:12   #2
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX-4R, now launched at 8.49 lakh

I am super excited about this downsized Daytona 660(Or the Sprinter). A full video of the production ready version of this bike making rounds on YouTube.

The seating position is of sporty-tourer sorts and it’s a good thing compared to the track-focused previous version.

Most parts of the bike seems to be borrowed from the Triumph’s 660 line-up which is already available in India.

Considering the pricing of the two twins, I think Triumph will keep it in the brackets of 9 lakh ex-showroom if released in India.

This is where it gets interesting! The Kwackers falls under the same bracket and honestly when you compare both, the Tona has the edge.

It comes with the initial torque goodness of a Twin and top speed of an inline four. And the sporty styling makes it the perfect touring machine and an occasional track weapon.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Spied Testing: Triumph Daytona 660-img_2692.jpeg  

Spied Testing: Triumph Daytona 660-img_2691.jpeg  

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st September 2023 at 19:55. Reason: Deleting the Kwacker thread reference as post moved to correct thread. Thanks.
TheEcoBeast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 17:24   #3
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX-4R, now launched at 8.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEcoBeast View Post
I

This is where it gets interesting! The Kwackers falls under the same bracket and honestly when you compare both, the Tona has the edge.

It comes with the initial torque goodness of a Twin and top speed of an inline four. And the sporty styling makes it the perfect touring machine and an occasional track weapon.

Thoughts?
The Ninja 400 is not a practical bike. The only real reason to buy one is to hit that screaming 15k red line.

The Tiger 660 is already 9.5l ex showroom so there is a high possibility that by the time it's launched here it will cross the 10l ex showroom bracket as its not even launched worldwide which will delay the launch in India. By that time the Zx6r will be in India and that will compete more with the Daytona 660 as Kawasaki often offers discounts on the MSRP of the bike.

The real competition of the Daytona 660 will be the Honda cbr 650R which sadly is still not available for sale in India with no word from Honda.
Old 19th December 2023, 19:50   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Spied Testing: Triumph Daytona 660

Triumph teases the new faired 660 ahead of the unveil on 9th January 2024:

Spied Testing: Triumph Daytona 660-screenshot_20231219_194852_instagram.jpg

Spied Testing: Triumph Daytona 660-screenshot_20231219_194916_instagram.jpg

Spied Testing: Triumph Daytona 660-screenshot_20231219_194904_instagram.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 00:25   #5
BHPian

This is a scaled-down Daytona with just 83 bhp on tap. Hopefully, Triumph has managed a bit of a bhp boost but I won't hold my breath.

In other news, CF Moto will be introducing a 675cc triple cylinder faired bike which will possibly make more power than the Daytona 660 as the rumors are it makes over 100 bhp. It will be quite shocking if a Chinese bike manufacturer like CF Moto used to copying engines can make a faster faired bike than Triumph which is known for it's triple cylinder bikes.
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 12:40   #6
BHPian

Speak for yourself mate. I for one, am excited about the new crop of slow screamers. Who cares it makes 'only a 80hp'. You will max out speed limits across the world in just 3rd gear. This much power on a naked can do a 12s quarter mile and this will be faster because of the fairings.

If they calm the TC nanny, fix the throttle response issues people had on the trident, do a R7 and put good adjustable suspension and ergos this is an excellent endgame bike for India.
hikozaru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 14:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
This is a scaled-down Daytona with just 83 bhp on tap. Hopefully, Triumph has managed a bit of a bhp boost but I won't hold my breath.

In other news, CF Moto will be introducing a 675cc triple cylinder faired bike which will possibly make more power than the Daytona 660 as the rumors are it makes over 100 bhp. It will be quite shocking if a Chinese bike manufacturer like CF Moto used to copying engines can make a faster faired bike than Triumph which is known for it's triple cylinder bikes.
"only 80hp" are you joking ? That's still a lot of power to get you in trouble.
People like to ramble about the specs not how it performs in reality.
Old 20th December 2023, 22:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Arkk View Post
"only 80hp" are you joking ? That's still a lot of power to get you in trouble.
People like to ramble about the specs not how it performs in reality.
The earlier Daytona was over 116 bhp and had a red line of 15k rpm.

The 660 cc engine was introduced as a beginner platform and so it's tuned for a relaxed riding style and IMO does not really deserve the name Daytona which was a race bike with a race engine.

If they had called it a Trident Sports or some other name I would have had no issue whatsoever.

However the name Daytona was synonymous with a race bike and this engine simply doesn't do it justice.

It's like Suzuki launching a Hayabusa with a new 100 bhp engine. Now 100 bhp is not slow by any means but the Hayabusa name was synonymous with a massive 1300cc engine with 200 bhp on power. It's the name that is being degraded which is what I was taking umbrage.

Manufacturers usually improve older models but this Daytona is becoming slower and IMO less fun to ride.
bf1983 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 04:38   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If they had called it a Trident Sports or some other name I would have had no issue whatsoever.

However the name Daytona was synonymous with a race bike and this engine simply doesn't do it justice.

It's like Suzuki launching a Hayabusa with a new 100 bhp engine. Now 100 bhp is not slow by any means but the Hayabusa name was synonymous with a massive 1300cc engine with 200 bhp on power. It's the name that is being degraded which is what I was taking umbrage.

Manufacturers usually improve older models but this Daytona is becoming slower and IMO less fun to ride.
Totally agreed, then again let's wait, they might call it something else, because daytona needs atleast the 765 engine and that too in a higher tune. I hope they don’t dilute the daytona heritage to milk money.

Remembering that whistle note on the exhaust still gives me the goosebumps.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 18:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
The earlier Daytona was over 116 bhp and had a red line of 15k rpm.

It's like Suzuki launching a Hayabusa with a new 100 bhp engine. It's the name that is being degraded which is what I was taking umbrage.
I know purists and enthusiasts scoff at the name/moniker dilution but it doesn't matter one bit. The CBR moniker is used across displacement class. Same goes for the R series. Recently much tear was shed on the R7 moniker being given to the parallel twin faired MT7,but turned ok for them. The Ninja brand is used by the top of the line ZX as well as the rock bottom 300 which gets a bargain steel frame! Similar examples abound.
Coming to the Hayabusa, Suzuki would not think twice before naming only a 100bhp sport tourer, if research shows it's going to help. There is always some trade off between reduced sale due to brand dilution vs potentially increased sale due to the pull of the brand. If the latter offsets the former, it'd be done no matter how much purists cry.
For eg, the CBR250 didn't even look like a CBR, it was more a VFR, but was still named a CBR as it had more pull and Honda must have reckoned that the bigger bikes won't sell less due to a puny commuter is called a CBR also!
I am also aware that you may argue about the model series vs a moniker for eg, there are many CBRs but only the 1000RR is called a Fireblade. While that is kind of true for Honda, but look at kawasaki and the Ninja bikes?
It's all about sales and very rarely about sentiments
doga is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 17:46   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Triumph has launched Daytona 660.

Spied Testing: Triumph Daytona 660-daytona.jpg

Spied Testing: Triumph Daytona 660-daytonamy241052jp659c1a3461117.jpg

Quote:
With 94 hp and 51 lb-ft of peak torque, the Daytona 660 makes the most power of any 660cc-powered Triumph, thanks to bigger and individual throttle bodies per cylinder as well as a new camshaft and revised intake system. Triumph feeds this power through a 6-speed manual transmission with a stop-start-assisted clutch and an available quick-shifter.

Running to its 12,650-rpm redline will be a sonic encounter, to say the least, as it features new stainless steel 3-into-1 headers. It will be worth it to run up the 660cc powerplant, as Triumph says the Daytona was re-tuned to continue providing power at high revolutions.

With Showa 41mm upside down, big-piston front forks, and a preload adjustable Showa rear suspension unit, it sounds like the Daytona 660 will be competent at least. Cast-aluminum wheels measuring 17 inches are standard with twin four-piston radial-mounted calipers, lightweight 310mm discs, braided lines, plus a Continental ABS modulator mounted on top.

Triumph continues to keep up with modern electronics, featuring three different ride modes (Sport, Road, and Rain), a ride-by-wire throttle, as well as a color TFT dash.

Just how cheap, you say? $9195 USD, or less than a base model Street Triple and all of Ducati's lineup. It's also cheaper than inline-four 600cc competitors from Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki, though Yamaha's twin-cylinder R7 appears to be prime competition.
Link

Basically they keep the entry price point low, and would milk the legacy of the name. This will sell for sure, I am guessing an entry level price of 9.99 Lacs Ex-Showroom when they launch it in India. Would have been good to have the 765 engine on this though.

It is pretty heavy at 201 Kg!!

Last edited by AtheK : 9th January 2024 at 18:01.
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 18:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

It's a disappointment that they didn't use the Moto2 765cc triple. That would have been neck and neck with the Kawasaki ZX-6R, if not better.

At this performance level, it's competing with the Aprilia RS660 but at a much lower price.

The 660 platform was always supposed to be the affordable one. Good that they upped the power output from the implementation on the Tiger/Trident.

Looking forward to how this one turns out.
Old 9th January 2024, 19:01   #13
BHPian

I initially shared the skepticism seen in the video below- why didn't they plonk the 765 in a bike called a Daytona? Think it was more a volumes game, or to make the Daytona brand more accessible to a wider set of riders.

Old 9th January 2024, 19:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
This will sell for sure, I am guessing an entry level price of 9.99 Lacs Ex-Showroom when they launch it in India
This is cheaper than the Tiger 660, so I assume around 9L. I don't know why anyone would buy this over a striple though. Its 10kg lighter, adjustable suspension on both ends, more power, looks better, better fit and finish, better tech just for 1L more. If people want a fairing and a windshield the ZX4R exists for a bit cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
It is pretty heavy at 201 Kg
First time I am seeing a European bike that is heavier than its Japanese rivals. Ninja 650, R7, ZX4R, and a potential CBR750R are all lighter than this. A bit disappointing on paper.

I did not think Triumph could make an ugly bike but they've finally done it. That line going over the zero in the 660 in the bottom fairing is ugly. Just having a windshield stick up, instead of a full front fairing is ugly.
hikozaru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 20:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikozaru View Post
First time I am seeing a European bike that is heavier than its Japanese rivals. Ninja 650, R7, ZX4R, and a potential CBR750R are all lighter than this. A bit disappointing on paper.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Nnja650r has a kerb weight of 196kgs, CBR650R is 211kgs, GSX-8R is 208kgs. Only the light R7 is sub 190kgs. This on par with every other middle weight sports tourer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks