Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2022, 23:08   #1
BHPian

Triumph Street Twin - New or pre-loved?

Hi, the current dilemma totally bogs me and despite reading through the forum, speaking to friends and reading everything around in the internet I can find, I am finally left more confused today. So I turn to you, my learned friends to guide me.

I rode a Harley 48 for 8 years and just sold it this month. The reasons for sale being -
1. I had for the last few years done only city commute and could not take on my calf and thigh feeling 'well done' after every ride;
2. The service was going from bad to worse and with some horror stories around on sourcing of parts, did not want her to turn into a garage queen;
3. I was blessed with a baby girl last year and even a slightly more assistance on safety is now considered very valuable. The Harley was pre abs. A basic raw fun machine.

I continue to own a 21 year old Enfield Electra and the number of times I have found myself pushing it to the garage or begging my mechanic to come and fix it, rightly gets my family to wonder why I still hold it. Love, of course!

But time to find a more user friendly bike. Primary usage - 90% city riding. Substantially in low traffic and sometimes in high. Approximately 3000-4000 km per year (non-covid times). Wife might jump in pillion on weekends and would love to continue to own this till daughter is old enough to jump on (i.e. desire to hold it next 8-10 years).

I have been left wondering if the Triumph Street Twin is a good replacement, especially for a city commute. I have test ridden the RE 650 and the street twin and the street twin just made me smile all through the ride. Though I know the RE 650 are a better value for money, but for a moment let me live in a dream land thinking that money is not a consideration and I should ride something that I love and not to settle with RE because its simply better value for money. Though honestly money is a consideration as you will see below.

So now comes the real dilemma -
I have managed to locate a pre loved (actually twice i.e second owner), 2018 March manufactured with approximately just 3500 km. It changed hands in 2020 once. Major service is currently due and battery hasn't been replaced in the 4 years. Though the tyres have some life in them, my experience says about 6 years the cracks do start showing and then time to change. Upside being, the bike has a centre stand and dresser bar, both of which put together cost about 35K. The Owner is asking for about 6L and with the current major service cost, battery replacement and not too far down tyre replacement I am looking at another 60-70K expenses. This gets me closer and closer to the cost of the new one, which is a stretch for me. I would be highly appreciate someone could point if I am missing any more potential cost. Also, if a 6.5L is worth on this one? Lastly, what scared me most is when I had a long chat with the service centre today, they mentioned new batteries haven't been coming in for a while and tyres are a problem too. Though aftermarket batteries can be sourced, I am not a big fan of parts such a batteries as they are not the most reliable.

Now lets look at the one, on road in Mumbai with all these add on is about 11L. But gives me a peace of mind, at least for next few years. Hoping Triumph does not make a dash out as Harley did. As I desire to hold it for a longer period, I am starting to convince myself that buying a new one, even though a stretch makes more sense, but managing to save about 4.5-5 lacs by getting one which has done only 3500 km is too much of something to look away from.

I am sure I am missing a few more things, which you may be able to point towards. Any inputs will be highly appreciated and make me take the right decision.
mindshack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 23:57   #2
BHPian

re: Triumph Street Twin - New or pre-loved?

The Street twin is a fantastic bike. No questions asked. The asking price, if a bit negotiable seems pretty decent.

Do mind the fact that though the bike is gorgeous and has the fit and finish of a queen, she is a bit restricted on power. May I suggest looking an a used Thruxton instead?

Also, I'd be a sorry excuse for a Ducatista if I did not entreat you to check out the Ducati Scrambler range of bikes. Plenty of bikes in preowned and is just more 'fun' if you ask me. If you are for whatever reason, considering to buy new and spend twelve big ones, please do look around for your options. Every lakh or so, the choice increases. Often, so do the safety features.
redeff is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 00:08   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Triumph Street Twin - New or pre-loved?

I think a USED Street Twin represents a tremendous value. Many first-time bike buyers enter the space with the street twin, go on a bunch of group rides organized by the brand and realize they want to upgrade to a little more. The offshoot is that a lot of this crop, up to within just a couple of years of ownership and often with very modest km on the odo.

The asking price of the above seems all right and slightly negotiable. It is the second owner after all. I think there are some more classics in the market right now including at Shaman triumph if I’m not mistaken. Do call them and inquire if you’re looking at more options.

All in all, for a Street Twin, if you look outright, there will be some pretty compelling used options and I’d definitely recommend them for the saving over a brand new one.

On batteries and tyres - I was under the impression that the situation is ok now. Perhaps specifically ask a few dealers in the region if they have stock. Incidentally, Rajendra who’s well known in the Harley circuit as HD’s accessories guy has now moved to Triumph in the same role. Just FYI as you might know him well from your 48 ownership.

Last edited by navin : 18th January 2022 at 11:23. Reason: typos
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 10:22   #4
BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Twin - New or pre-loved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
All in all, for a Street Twin, if you look out right, there will be some pretty compelling used options and I’d definitely recommend them for the saving over a brand new one.

On batteries and tyres - I was under the impression that the situation is ok now. Perhaps specifically ask a few dealers in the region if they have stock. Incidentally Rajendra who’s well known in the Harley circuit as HD’s accessories guy has now moved to Triumph in the same role. Just FYI as you might know him well from your 48 ownership.
Thanks a lot. I too am convinced that a pre-owned one with limited odo reading makes a lot more sense. Yesterday I spoke with the Shaman service guys in detail specifically about the bike and was a little surprised to hear about the batteries not being available. I will also be sending across the bike to Shaman to get it double checked as I noticed some oil around the engine. The owner says that the last oil change was at an FNG so maybe some spill, but clearly that's not a risk I am willing to take without having the triumph dealership thoroughly check it. I will also speak to the sales advisors to pass me contacts of any Street Twin owner wanting to upgrade as pitching an upgrade may make it easier for them, and also for the current owner and me.

Also, will check around with other dealers on the batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
The Street twin is a fantastic bike. No questions asked. The asking price, if a bit negotiable seems pretty decent.

Do mind the fact that though the bike is gorgeous and has the fit and finish of a queen, she is a bit restricted on power. May I suggest looking an a used Thruxton instead?

Also, I'd be a sorry excuse for a Ducatista if I did not entreat you to check out the Ducati Scrambler range of bikes. Plenty of bikes in preowned and is just more 'fun' if you ask me. If you are for whatever reason, considering to buy new and spend twelve big ones, please do look around for your options. Every lakh or so, the choice increases. Often, so do the safety features.
Thanks. I did consider the Scrambler, but the air cooled engine put me off after having to deal with the HD. It used to be just unbearable if I was ever stuck in traffic. But absolutely love the styling of the Scrambler. Maybe should test ride before writing it off.
As far as the power, for city streets I felt the Street Twin had more than enough pep to enjoy and any bigger engine cannot be put to good use. I love the Speed Twin, but know it would be a total waste to even consider if primary riding is on Mumbai roads. Luckily my daily ride is from one end of marine drive to the other and typically get into work before traffic hours and most days get done much after office hours, which makes a stretch a breeze to ride.
mindshack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 10:38   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think a new Street Twin represents tremendous value.
Apologies - an important edit here. I meant to write that a “used” Street Twin represents tremendous value. (As is evident from the rest of my post). Sorry for that error.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 10:38   #6
BHPian

Sounds like a decent price. Do you know the previous owner(s)? Do you have the service history? Are there signs of damage? If all these check out then its a decent deal I'd say. Also, there is a good chance that you might want to upgrade in 2 years or so, you will be saving tons on depreciation I'd think.
mpulztrack3r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 12:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindshack View Post
Now lets look at the one, on road in Mumbai with all these add on is about 11L. But gives me a peace of mind, at least for next few years. Hoping Triumph does not make a dash out as Harley did. As I desire to hold it for a longer period, I am starting to convince myself that buying a new one, even though a stretch makes more sense, but managing to save about 4.5-5 lacs by getting one which has done only 3500 km is too much of something to look away from.

I am sure I am missing a few more things, which you may be able to point towards. Any inputs will be highly appreciated and make me take the right decision.
You seem to be 50-50, if you get a great deal all your inhibitions will go away.

I think knock off 50k on the offer (or get the repairs you are worried about) and let the luck run its course. If you dont get it, get the new bike.

In the used vehicle market, always take the deal that you are 100% convinced about. Dont take a deal with the current mindset you are in. Hence get a deal which will push you to 100% comfortable.

Remember, there are not too many serious buyers for this vehicle across India.
2000rpm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 14:34   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I have managed to locate a pre loved (actually twice i.e second owner), 2018 March manufactured with approximately just 3500 km.

Major service is currently due and battery hasn't been replaced in the 4 years.
Though the tyres have some life in them, my experience says about 6 years the cracks do start showing and then time to change.

As I desire to hold it for a longer period, I am starting to convince myself that buying a new one, even though a stretch makes more sense, but managing to save about 4.5-5 lacs by getting one which has done only 3500 km is too much of something to look away from.
Quote:
The owner says that the last oil change was at an FNG so maybe some spill, but clearly that's not a risk I am willing to take without having the triumph dealership thoroughly check it.
Just a few more things that come to mind.

The street twin doesn't exactly fly off the shelves in the used market so please do keep looking out in the used market. Dont be too wedded to a single option.

Secondly a few things that were red flags to me in the bike you saw.
Its hardly run 3500 kms and is currently with a second owner - that means, neither owner has really used it at all. Secondly the current owner also seems to be using an FNG. I would only use an FNG where the OEM is outright unsatisfactory.

A bike that is barely used and is serviced at an FNG is actually a bit of a red flag, because when owners are not actually riders, they don't necessarily pay heed to the quality of the service (not generalising but the risk is there). Its a tick in the box for them and it would seem one where he is trying to save some cost by using FNG instead of A.S.S.

Someone who heavily uses a bike and trusts his bike for long rides will ensure he gets the best upkeep - whether from OEM or FNG.

Do diligence the bike and its condition very carefully keeping the above in mind.
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 15:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpulztrack3r View Post
Sounds like a decent price. Do you know the previous owner(s)? Do you have the service history? Are there signs of damage? If all these check out then its a decent deal I'd say. Also, there is a good chance that you might want to upgrade in 2 years or so, you will be saving tons on depreciation I'd think.
I do not know the previous owners but managed to get hold of the service history and there doesn't seem any accidents. The A.S.S. confirmed that the bike has never been received for service with any damage. That gave me some confidence. As far as upgrade - I might be one of the few who is moving down from a 1200 cc to a 900 cc, knowing well that in the city this will do exactly what I need it to. But I acknowledge what you are saying and who know in 2 years from now will need more input from you on a potential purchase.

Quote:
Just a few more things that come to mind.

The street twin doesn't exactly fly off the shelves in the used market so please do keep looking out in the used market. Dont be too wedded to a single option.

Secondly a few things that were red flags to me in the bike you saw.
Its hardly run 3500 kms and is currently with a second owner - that means, neither owner has really used it at all. Secondly the current owner also seems to be using an FNG. I would only use an FNG where the OEM is outright unsatisfactory.

A bike that is barely used and is serviced at an FNG is actually a bit of a red flag, because when owners are not actually riders, they don't necessarily pay heed to the quality of the service (not generalising but the risk is there). Its a tick in the box for them and it would seem one where he is trying to save some cost by using FNG instead of A.S.S.

Someone who heavily uses a bike and trusts his bike for long rides will ensure he gets the best upkeep - whether from OEM or FNG.

Do diligence the bike and its condition very carefully keeping the above in mind.
I cannot agree more. If the last service was done at the A.S.S. I would have felt a lot more confident. It surprises me to see people buy such nice bikes and not treat them well. I will get the details of oil used for the change and want the A.S.S. to confirm that it wont cause any issues in the future. Face of it doesn't seem any other reason to go to the FNG but, but as you mentioned, save some money. Just want to make sure that I don't pick up a lemon for 6 big ones.

I would like to believe that Street Twin on the resale market doesn't fly off the shelf, but besides reaching out to Shaman would you suggest any other way or forum to keep a tab on it?
mindshack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 16:16   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
but besides reaching out to Shaman would you suggest any other way or forum to keep a tab on it?
I had received a "Street Twin for sale" forward recently. I can't PM you until you're 20 posts old - once you cross that mark I'll send you details. I don't want to post a mobile number on a public forum - I dont even know the person - had just seen a forward somewhere.

Alternately, if you have any friends who are on any Mumbai or Pune RATS group you could request them to post on the Triumph groups asking for Street Twins for sale. That is likely to throw up a few options.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 17:42   #11
BHPian

I know this post is asking for opinions on the used Street Twin mentioned by the OP, but we wouldn't be true BHPians if we didn't suggest alternative motorcycles.

Since you're considering keeping the bike for 8-10 years at a MINIMUM, I would urge you to simply ignore this Street Twin and pick up a new Speed Twin. It is not only a Bonnie that you'll love to look at after you park it, but the power/handling could keep you enthralled for a decade.

Whatever extra cash you spend over the cost of this Street Twin will return dividends in terms of unstoppable grins while riding.

While the Street Twin is a good bike, I don't think its power delivery can keep one hooked for a decade (exceptions would surely be there, leaving those patient folks aside). Sure, it can be a good 2nd bike in the garage (say with an ADV or a super-sport), but if it's the ONLY bike, one may feel the itch to "upgrade" after a few years.

There's no way around the simple fact - the Speed Twin's chassis + front/rear 17" setup is more fun than the Street Twin's (different) setup.

Considering the OP already has had a Harley cruiser experience under the belt, the Speed Twin would be a lovely keeper to acquire, and a more fun bike to ride.

Last edited by GoBlue : 18th January 2022 at 17:49.
GoBlue is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 21:27   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

mindshack, here are my thoughts on the different points that have come up so far on the thread

- first things first, your primary usage of 90% city riding and the choice of a Street Twin doesnt really add up to a match made in heaven scenario. At least in my books. Do take proper test rides of the Street Twin in the city traffic conditions that you will be subjected to and see if you can deal with it on a regular basis.
- Like GoBlue, I too will suggest that you do not restrict your criteria to only the Triumph. But I will go the other way and ask you to look at other bikes like the Kawasaki Z650RS, Honda CB500X, Ducati Scrambler, and the Benelli Leoncino 500 and test ride all of them with an open mind. You might be surprised to find that some of those bikes are more fun in the urban environment than the Street Twin.
- Tires for the Street Twin are not all that easy to find. You will get options for the usual 120 and 180 sizes for 17 inchers, which is what the usual middleweight naked bikes need, but owners of these modern classics are finding it difficult to get decent tires. Recently, I heard of a Triumph Bonnieville owner who had to put a Ceat 100/90 18 tire on the front because all he could get were restamped Pirellis. So, do call up a couple of tire dealers and check for availability and pricing before you decide on a Street Twin.
- Batteries are also hard to come by, but you can get them with some footwork. Being in Bombay, I doubt that you would have to worry too much about this.
- Go for preowned over new. Rs 11L for a Street Twin is tough to justify, unless you just won the lottery.
- The Street Twin is known to come with wiring issues caused by friction between the handlebar and the harness.
- The resale value on Bonnies and Street Twins has dropped significantly with the sales of the Royal Enfield 650 twins. Sellers wont find it easy to get buyers in todays market. If you are determined to get a Street Twin, negotiate hard. I would pay less than Rs 6L all inclusive for the bike + pending work.
- I wouldnt worry too much about an FNG service if I know which FNG it was serviced at. Try and find out more. Was the current owner only trying to skimp on costs? In other cities, reputed FNGs give your service quality that is miles ahead of the SVCs. But Shaman is pretty good, so get more information on this.

P.S - Axe77 - I got a fright when I saw your original post of a new Street Twin offering tremendous value Thankfully the post is now corrected!
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 23:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I am starting to convince myself that buying a new one, even though a stretch makes more sense, but managing to save about 4.5-5 lacs by getting one which has done only 3500 km is too much of something to look away from.
Personally, I look at a new one only when I cant find the right color, feature or something I need in the used bike market. I would consider a new one only when I got the money, cant wait any longer, and I cant compromise with the available used bikes. A street twin with 3500kms is as good as new, there is really not much that can be messed up, that cant be set right. As long as there were no accidents or such.

More often than not, people do not recoup the costs of all the essential accessories that they install. Then there is the time value of finding the parts for these mods, and then installing them, or having them be installed. If you just want to buy and start riding, a used bike (with so few miles) offers great value.

If you are an analytical person, please consider the cost per mile metric, and the annual investment per mile metric. If you are going to invest 10L and only add a thousand miles in a year, that is an annual investment of Rs1000 per mile. You really need to spend a lot of time riding to justify investing a lot. Here is how I look at it, the year I ride 5K miles, is when I will buy an Africa twin, if I ride 10K, I will buy a GS1250. So far I add 3 to 4k miles a year, and that does not justify getting a new bike, I will stick to my beater.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 18th January 2022 at 23:45.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 11:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
I know this post is asking for opinions on the used Street Twin mentioned by the OP, but we wouldn't be true BHPians if we didn't suggest alternative motorcycles.
Thanks you. Absolutely the reason why I love this forum. Gets me off the one track mind and helps explore. Point taken. Love the Speed Twin but with 90% city riding, just don't see it working well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
mindshack, here are my thoughts on the different points that have come up so far on the thread

- first things first, your primary usage of 90% city riding and the choice of a Street Twin doesnt really add up to a match made in heaven scenario. At least in my books. Do take proper test rides of the Street Twin in the city traffic conditions that you will be subjected to and see if you can deal with it on a regular basis.
- Like GoBlue, I too will suggest that you do not restrict your criteria to only the Triumph. But I will go the other way and ask you to look at other bikes like the Kawasaki Z650RS, Honda CB500X, Ducati Scrambler, and the Benelli Leoncino 500 and test ride all of them with an open mind. You might be surprised to find that some of those bikes are more fun in the urban environment than the Street Twin.
- Tires for the Street Twin are not all that easy to find. You will get options for the usual 120 and 180 sizes for 17 inchers, which is what the usual middleweight naked bikes need, but owners of these modern classics are finding it difficult to get decent tires. Recently, I heard of a Triumph Bonnieville owner who had to put a Ceat 100/90 18 tire on the front because all he could get were restamped Pirellis. So, do call up a couple of tire dealers and check for availability and pricing before you decide on a Street Twin.
- Batteries are also hard to come by, but you can get them with some footwork. Being in Bombay, I doubt that you would have to worry too much about this.
- Go for preowned over new. Rs 11L for a Street Twin is tough to justify, unless you just won the lottery.
- The Street Twin is known to come with wiring issues caused by friction between the handlebar and the harness.
- The resale value on Bonnies and Street Twins has dropped significantly with the sales of the Royal Enfield 650 twins. Sellers wont find it easy to get buyers in todays market. If you are determined to get a Street Twin, negotiate hard. I would pay less than Rs 6L all inclusive for the bike + pending work.
- I wouldnt worry too much about an FNG service if I know which FNG it was serviced at. Try and find out more. Was the current owner only trying to skimp on costs? In other cities, reputed FNGs give your service quality that is miles ahead of the SVCs. But Shaman is pretty good, so get more information on this.

P.S - Axe77 - I got a fright when I saw your original post of a new
Street Twin offering tremendous value Thankfully the post is now corrected!
Thanks a lot, Neil.
My thoughts on some of the above:
- I will definitely take a test ride for the Z650RS and the Ducati Scrambler. For the Scrambler I have been warned about the heat issues (more than the Street Twin) and based on my Harley experience, don't want to face it again. Honestly, not a fan the of looks of the CB500X, though I have been told its a fantastic machine. Though I love the look of it, I do not know anyone who ride a Benelli and therefore skeptical, but I think I should look more deeper into the Benelli.
-Based on Axe77 and your inputs, I have been on the job and the batteries issue seems not so big as I thought. Tyres, yes. But if they last for another 2 years, I guess by then things might be different.
- Based on your recommendation, I will be taking another longer test ride in traffic condition to be doubly sure if the Street Twin works for me. But after handling the 1200 cc air cooled Harley, everything else I ride makes it feel easy and nimble. Also, I had the same thought as yours, all in all if I can get the current Street Twin for under 6l (including all expected expense), I will move ahead. I will also look more into the wiring issue you have shared as I was not aware if it and check on the FMG more in detail.
BIG THANK YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
If you are an analytical person, please consider the cost per mile metric, and the annual investment per mile metric. If you are going to invest 10L and only add a thousand miles in a year, that is an annual investment of Rs1000 per mile. You really need to spend a lot of time riding to justify investing a lot. Here is how I look at it, the year I ride 5K miles, is when I will buy an Africa twin, if I ride 10K, I will buy a GS1250. So far I add 3 to 4k miles a year, and that does not justify getting a new bike, I will stick to my beater.
Being a Gujarati, the above is the first question that comes to mind and I run numbers and alternatives and just end up over analyzing. I can't justify most bikes I am considering and therefore let the heart lead the way, rather than the head. However, trying to find the best balance between practical, fun, cost, hassle free ownership and thanks to this group, I am able to get a better direction.
mindshack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 16:39   #15
D3A

Quote:

Hi. I ride a 2019 Street Twin. If going the pre loved route, I highly recommend that you buy a 2nd Gen ST. The 2018 would be a first gen. The second generation came with more power and better brakes, among other things.

Last edited by D3A : 19th January 2022 at 16:58.
D3A is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks