Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2022, 15:08   #1

Should I buy a Suzuki Hayabusa as my first big bike?

Congratulations ! Suzuki has done such a stellar job in the design of the Gen3. The instrument cluster is indeed my favorite part too.

The hayabusa has always been THE dream superbike for me, and no other machine out there can cut it it terms of its desirability.

Just a doubt. Is the gen3 tame enough to handle for someone who's never ridden a superbike before? Should i go for the Busa , or work my way up the displacement categories? I've been riding for around 15 years but its mostly been only Royal Enfields. But the Gen3 is has been driving me crazy ever since it's launched , and my heart's set itself to owning the Gen3 while my mind is telling me otherwise!
drgeorgeroy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 19:15   #2
BHPian

Re: 2021 Suzuki Hayabusa launched at Rs. 16.40 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgeorgeroy View Post
Just a doubt. Is the gen3 tame enough to handle for someone who's never ridden a superbike before? Should i go for the Busa , or work my way up the displacement categories?…..

But the Gen3 is has been driving me crazy ever since it's launched , and my heart's set itself to owning the Gen3 while my mind is telling me otherwise!
I would not recommend a Hayabusa as a first SBK. The weight, handling, dynamics on the open road, slow speed manoeuvring shall be a completely new experience relative to RE motorcycles.

Also, the way this motorcycle accelerates and achieves ridiculous speeds needs a relative experience of atleast 650cc/750cc class motorcycles.

You could always get a Gen 3 and ride it in C mode for some time. However even in “low power mode”, it is quicker than other liter class motorcycles.

Would be better to work your way to the Gen 3. Get something like a CBR650R or a Street Triple RS as an intermediate motorcycle. As you’ve been riding for 15 years, this segment should be perfect to get accustomed to the power delivery/dynamics.
GoBlue is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 20:57   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just a doubt. Is the gen3 tame enough to handle for someone who's never ridden a superbike before? Should i go for the Busa , or work my way up the displacement categories?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
I would not recommend a Hayabusa as a first SBK.

Also, the way this motorcycle accelerates and achieves ridiculous speeds needs a relative experience of atleast 650cc/750cc class motorcycles.

Would be better to work your way to the Gen 3. Get something like a CBR650R or a Street Triple RS as an intermediate motorcycle.
I am completely with GoBlue on this. No way should you go straight to the Busa. You will also enjoy your Busa more if you have worked your way “up” through some mid order bikes. Since your ultimate aim is a Busa, perhaps a tolerable entry level bike might be a Ninja 1000 since it will make you more accustomed to that style of riding position. But I am doubtful of that recommendation too. The CBR 650 may actually be a more apt starting point.

Also, since you’re used to RE style bikes which have more upright riding styles is another reason to go middle CC first. I have been riding a Tiger and I recently test rode a CBR 650. I was extremely tentative on the handling aspect on the CBR with its hunkered down stance. It was way too different to what I am used to.
Axe77 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 21:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations ! Suzuki has done such a stellar job in the design of the Gen3. The instrument cluster is indeed my favorite part too.

The hayabusa has always been THE dream superbike for me, and no other machine out there can cut it it terms of its desirability.

Just a doubt. Is the gen3 tame enough to handle for someone who's never ridden a superbike before? Should i go for the Busa , or work my way up the displacement categories? I've been riding for around 15 years but its mostly been only Royal Enfields. But the Gen3 is has been driving me crazy ever since it's launched , and my heart's set itself to owning the Gen3 while my mind is telling me otherwise!
Buying some other sports/supersport/sport-touring bike simply to earn KMs and experience may not be the best way to do so. Better to rent out some bikes from this category starting with middle segment - such as N650 or so. I guess in large cities even the Gen2 Hayabusa can be rented. Take it out for 2-3 days trip at times and you will get a better experience.
sunilch is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 21:50   #5
Team-BHP Support

@sunilch:

Personally, I don’t fully agree with that option. Considering the objective is to earn the chops to ride one of the fastest machines money can buy - a litre plus class super sports tourer, I don’t think the occasional rental will deliver that experience. I would say one should spend at least 15 - 20,000 kms on a middle weight before making that transition. During that time, some formal training programs like CSS / similar programs that are run at MMRT and Coimbatore will also be tremendously useful.

I know a friend who was (and is) one of the most skilled riders I know, even as of the time he bought his Striple RS in 2018. Despite that, at the time of buying the RS, he felt he needs to do meaningful time on an RS before graduating to his ultimate dream bike, an S 1000 RR.
Axe77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 22:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
@sunilch:

Personally, I don’t fully agree with that option. Considering the objective is to earn the chops to ride one of the fastest machines money can buy - a litre plus class super sports tourer, I don’t think the occasional rental will deliver that experience. I would say one should spend at least 15 - 20,000 kms on a middle weight before making that transition. During that time, some formal training programs like CSS / similar programs that are run at MMRT and Coimbatore will also be tremendously useful.
I was recommending the same more from ergonomics perspective so that the rider can understand if his/her body is ok/ready to transition into what a sports bike demands. And my recommendation was to start with some mid-level bike such as Ninja 650 and then move to something like the Ninja 1000 and even the Gen2 Busa which can be rented in larger cities. Mainly because OP is coming from RE background.

Though I do agree with you that the rider may need to accumulate a lot of Kms (20K Kms ++) on these machines before finally settling for the right machine that he may wish to keep for long.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th January 2022 at 22:55. Reason: Abbreviations
sunilch is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 00:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
I would not recommend a Hayabusa as a first SBK. The weight, handling, dynamics on the open road, slow speed manoeuvring shall be a completely new experience relative to RE motorcycles.

You could always get a Gen 3 and ride it in C mode for some time. However even in “low power mode”, it is quicker than other liter class motorcycles.

Would be better to work your way to the Gen 3. Get something like a CBR650R or a Street Triple RS as an intermediate motorcycle. As you’ve been riding for 15 years, this segment should be perfect to get accustomed to the power delivery/dynamics.
Thank you so much for your perspective. I was kind of under the impression that all the electronics within the bike might make it a bit more beginner friendly.

Yeah it makes so much more sense to start off with a middleweight bike ,work on my riding skills and earn the right to someday ride the mighty Busa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I am completely with GoBlue on this. No way should you go straight to the Busa. You will also enjoy your Busa more if you have worked your way “up” through some mid order bikes. Since your ultimate aim is a Busa, perhaps a tolerable entry level bike might be a Ninja 1000 since it will make you more accustomed to that style of riding position. But I am doubtful of that recommendation too. The CBR 650 may actually be a more apt starting point.

Also, since you’re used to RE style bikes which have more upright riding styles is another reason to go middle CC first. I have been riding a Tiger and I recently test rode a CBR 650. I was extremely tentative on the handling aspect on the CBR with its hunkered down stance. It was way too different to what I am used to.
Thank you for your valuable input. Yes i have been considering the Ninja1000 for quite some time. It has so much to offer at it's price point. I was just a bit skeptical that i might eventually be underwhelmed by it at some point , since I'm so inclined to the Busa.

But as you said, probably my future Busa ownership experience might be much more rewarding, if i work my way upto it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Buying some other sports/supersport/sport-touring bike simply to earn KMs and experience may not be the best way to do so. Better to rent out some bikes from this category starting with middle segment - such as N650 or so. I guess in large cities even the Gen2 Hayabusa can be rented. Take it out for 2-3 days trip at times and you will get a better experience.
Makes a lot of sense. I can get to feel the riding dynamics of a superbike without spending a huge amount and later regretting my decision. However I'm living in a small peripheral town right now. The possibility of renting a superbike is out of question unfortunately. As everyone else have said, I'd probably have to start out buying a middleweight and gaining some experience on it.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th January 2022 at 05:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged
drgeorgeroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 06:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am a strong proponent of the notion that anyone can and should get any bike that they like as long as their right wrist is controlled by their head and not testicular fortitute.

Since you've been riding for sometime, you already understand the basic fundamentals of motorcycle riding. Infact, a 1000cc bike at 80 kmph is far safer than a 150 cc bike doing 80. It will brake faster, sooner with better control, balance , everything .

Respect the bike and it will not fail you. With all that power comes added responsibility that's all. And that responsibility is there even if it's a 650cc or a 1000cc. They both will bite your head off if you misbehave. So might as well go for the one you want and like.

Get in touch with super bike groups in your city. Talk to the owners, sit on their bikes and see if they will let you take it for a spin. Visit showrooms and see what's available for test rides. That will give you an idea of what you getting into before hand.

There is absolutely no issues in getting a Hayabusa as your first superbike. I know so many people who have done it and loved it.

There are a few golden rules I often tell first time superbike owners:
1. Never indulge in street racing. You will be pestered , ignore it.
2. Just because you can do 140 kmph on a stretch of road does not mean you should.
3. Always wear your gear, even if it's only to get milk.
4. Always take care of your ride and maintain it well.
5. Know you capability and accept the fact that you will use merely 10% of what you bike is capable of doing.
Lastly, never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

This is infact a perfect time to get yourself a used Gen 2 Hayabusa. And trust me , it is more bike than one would ever need.

Happy hunting!

Last edited by bigron : 9th January 2022 at 06:20.
bigron is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 11:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
I am a strong proponent of the notion that anyone can and should get any bike that they like as long as their right wrist is controlled by their head and not testicular fortitute.

Since you've been riding for sometime, you already understand the basic fundamentals of motorcycle riding. Infact, a 1000cc bike at 80 kmph is far safer than a 150 cc bike doing 80. It will brake faster, sooner with better control, balance , everything .

Respect the bike and it will not fail you. With all that power comes added responsibility that's all. And that responsibility is there even if it's a 650cc or a 1000cc. They both will bite your head off if you misbehave. So might as well go for the one you want and like.

Happy hunting!
Thank you so much! These were the words i was hoping to hear actually! Yes the Gen2 Hayabusa is a definitely in the cards, but won't be a bit too intimidating for me without all the electronics the gen3 has ?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th January 2022 at 16:28. Reason: trimmed quoted post
drgeorgeroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 12:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the Gen2 Hayabusa is a definitely in the cards, but won't be a bit too intimidating for me without all the electronics the gen3 has ?
What the Gen 3 has is phenomenal. No used bike is going to give you that. . There is no denying that electronics can and do save you in sticky situations. However, if you are banking on just electronics to save your skin hold on a bit because they are aids and don't replace the riders instinct.

Find someone who has a GEN 2 and take it for a spin. The later models came with ABS, but that's about it. Mine has no ABS, nothing. Everything has to be done by the right wrist.

Having said that, it can be intimidating knowing that just a splash of water on the road can make the bike skittish. So in that sense, it is smart to go with a bike that has basic electronic aids.
bigron is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 15:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post

100% agree with you Bigron! The gist is what I have mentioned before on another thread as well. If the rider is mature (age, road sense and experience) it is the perfect way to go.

I agree with the good Doctor, it’s best to go with the generation 3 bike as it has all the electronic nannies to help out. I believe it will also give our guardian angels an easier task

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 9th January 2022 at 16:12.
Cyborg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 19:58   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
drgeorgeroy, first of all, welcome to the forum. It is always good to have another fellow motorcycle enthusiast from this lovely part of the country. I will just add a few points to what the others have mentioned. This is based on my 20 years of riding motorcycles and finally upgrading to a Triumph Street Triple 675 in 2018.

There are a few aspects that I would suggest you strongly consider
a. your skill level
b. your next motorcycle
c. the conditions in which you will ride your next motorcycle

Let me share my own experience. I was all set to buy a litre class sports bike after moving to Cochin but due to some twists and turns, I ended up with a preowned Triumph that I bought from an enthusiast in Trivandrum. I am glad that I did so because
1. it has helped make me a much better rider than what I was before.
2. using a middleweight motorcycle in KL is tough. And Im not even mentioning sporty 1000cc and above motorcycles. Between traffic, narrow roads, cops, speed cameras, idiots on the road etc, you will find it tough to even use 40% of a middleweight naked bike. With a bigger bike, expect that to come down to below 30%. Its an unfortunate truth.
3. I realized that I dont need anything more than a middleweight bike for my riding in Kerala.

You mentioned that you have been riding for 15 years but please do remember that a middleweight bike (Im not even mentioning a litre class tourer or the Busa here!) can get you into 100+ kmph in a matter of seconds. The bikes capabilities will in all likelihood outweigh yours and a rider will need time, patience, experience and a willingness to learn, to get to grips with say a 100 HP motorcycle.

As great as the Hayabusa is, with your motorcycling background, please dont jump straight into it. Look at the Triumph Street Triple 765, Kawasaki Z900, Ducati Monster 950 or the Honda CB650R. All the dealerships conduct service camps in Trivandrum and you also have support from excellent superbike garages like Motonerdz (MotoNerdz: Big Bike Shop at Trivandrum, Kerala) to cater to all your needs. Personally, I would suggest the Honda CB650R (Honda CB650R Review) as I find it incredible user friendly for Kerala's conditions and it is a perfect bridge bike for a rider like you to own for a few years. The icing on the cake is the excellent sales and after sales support from the Big Wing Honda dealership in Cochin. The Kawasaki, Ducati and the Triumph are all great bikes but I find the Honda to be most suited to riders who are new to the big bike world, given the motorcycling constraints in Kerala. Heck, if I had a choice today, I would give up my Triumph and get the friendly Honda instead!

Spend a few years with a middleweight, make a lot of riding buddies, explore other motorcycles and then take a call on whether or not you will actually want to get yourself that Gen 3 Hayabusa.
neil.jericho is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 23:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
drgeorgeroy, first of all, welcome to the forum. It is always good to have another fellow motorcycle enthusiast from this lovely part of the country. I will just add a few points to what the others have mentioned. This is based on my 20 years of riding motorcycles and finally upgrading to a Triumph Street Triple 675 in 2018.

Spend a few years with a middleweight, make a lot of riding buddies, explore other motorcycles and then take a call on whether or not you will actually want to get yourself that Gen 3 Hayabusa.
Thank you so much for the info! Yes our roads are unfortunately not superbike friendly right now. I'm hopeful that someday it will be.

As everyone else in the forum suggested, it will be better for me to start of with a middleweight first, such as the cbr650r or the ninja 1000. I'm not so inclined to the ninja650. Id rather love listening to an screaming inline 4 than a parallel twin!
drgeorgeroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 01:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As everyone else in the forum suggested, it will be better for me to start of with a middleweight first, such as the cbr650r or the ninja 1000. I'm not so inclined to the ninja650. Id rather love listening to an screaming inline 4 than a parallel twin!
Doctor, of course your money, your choice and a majority of folks seem to think buying a CBR650R or a Ninja 1000 is the right thing to do for the progression into buying your dream bike, in this case the Hayabusa generation 3. So what you would be doing is buying either of the two and maybe a year later after gaining experience, lose money in selling it and then buy your Hayabusa.

For everyone - how much trouble can a person avoid or get into on a CBR650R or a Ninja 1000 that he cannot avoid or get into on a Hayabusa 1300? All three bikes can get a person who gets carried away (with his right wrist) into real serious, serious trouble. Don’t see the difference from a dangerous point of view between the three for a sensible mature rider.

Since you are a mature rider with enough sense to think or have doubts whether a Hayabusa would be right for you power wise, I feel you would be quite all right with the Hayabusa straight away.

Riding carefully, taking it real slow for the first 1000 kilometres (till the bike and you understand each other well) or so should not make any difference whether it’s a 650, 1000 or 1300 cc bike. A big difference would be the weight of the Hayabusa which you need to get used to between the three. Check it out carefully at the showroom or any which way you can before putting your money down.

All the best with whatever you choose, have fun and ride safe.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 10th January 2022 at 01:19.
Cyborg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 08:25   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: Should I buy a Suzuki Hayabusa as my first big bike?

Quote:
Mod Note: Moving your query to a new thread.

Welcome to the forum.

Personal and unpopular opinion - Do not buy a big bike because it looks to be a logical decision, or the next step in the ladder - unless it appeals to the heart as well.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed