Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2022, 22:58   #46
BHPian

Re: Should I buy a Suzuki Hayabusa as my first big bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ogre View Post
I disagree to a lot of what you said. In any developed country they have tiered licence for motorbikes. At least that is how it is here in Australia.
You would be right in not including US in the list of developed countries. Here you can get your license by riding a tiny 150cc bike in a riding school, and ride out of the showroom in a 1800cc GoldWing or a Hayabusa. Some states also allow you to do so without a helmet in a sleeveless t-shirt.

This would be an unpopular opinion. But, a lot depends on the rider. I would not trust myself on a Hayabusa while I was younger (under 25). I may never use the upper end of a Hayabusa, but I will benefit immensely from the better braking and handling. I cannot lift up a 800cc bike, and I cannot lift up a Hayabusa. I do agree that if one ends up experimenting too much on a Hayabusa, the surprises could be expensive. This can be remidied. Which is why I mention age and temperament. I have seen retired people buy their wives a giant Harley as a birthday gift, only after they get their license on a tiny 100cc bike. Some of them do well, some of them end up crashing in the dealer parking lot.

If you really like the Busa, and you have the right temperament, consider these. Slowly ease your way into familiarity, in a friendly environment. Rent a 800cc bike for a week. If thats a piece of cake, buy your Busa. But, get a good friend with lots of experience with giant bikes to ride your Busa to a desolate area, then get used to riding the new bike. This self control is hard, but it can be done. Make no mistake, Busa is a beast, have a lot of respect, patience and you may be fine. Do keep us updated with your decision and thought process.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 11th January 2022 at 23:06.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 10:01   #47
BHPian

The progression I followed in my life and my experience as follows:

First bike was CBZ150 which I rode for around 45k kms

Next I bought Ninja 650 and rode it for 3000 kms, sold it because it had poor brakes for it's performance capabilities
(non abs version) back then and not because it was slow or not good enough.

Then i wanted a litre class inline four bike so shortlisted N1000 which had around 140 bhp in 2015. I knew once i get used to it, i will crave for bike with even more power like 10R, etc. So, i took a plunge for 14R in 2016 skipping the N1000 and used it in low power and more intrusive traction control mode (around 140 bhp) for the first 5k kms and switched to full power after that.

Trust me, it isnt just about power and numbers. Even though I had the experience of riding a 650 before my 14R, it took me a considerable time to adapt to 14R experience even after using the 650 as a stepping stone. Everything like weight, riding ergonomics, power, suspension travel plays a vital role especially when it comes to controlling the bike in corners, ghat sections and during avoidance manoeuvres which you need to do frequently on our roads.

So when it comes to superbikes, its always better to step up gradually. No amount of passion is worth risking serious injuries or even death in worst case scenario. Since you are coming from REs only, I will suggest you to buy a 600-800 cc bike as a stepping stone before the Busa. You will loose a couple of lakhs in it's depreciation in a year or two but its the right way to go.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 12th January 2022 at 10:06.
46TheDoctor is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 11:15   #48
BHPian

I was in two minds to chime in and share my opinion on what you should do. The heck, I'll give in. Albeit, a little differently.

Please join a riding school first. We all have been riding motorbikes for many years alright but how many of us actually know ''how to ride'' correctly? Barely any. The reason being, we have not learnt the art of riding a motorcycle.

It just doesn't matter how many kms you've clocked or how many years you've been riding bikes. A proper riding school such as California Superbike School (which I think is the best in the business) will literally make you unlearn all the mistakes you've been doing for all these years and make you relearn all the correct techniques. Trust me, you'll love it! Then you can ride any darn motorbike (almost) with any displacement. Hope this helps!
vishwasvr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 11:36   #49
BHPian

I upgraded from an r15 to a 14r. Although i owned a few 600s in between for very short span my major experience is from the r15 and also tracking it. If you are mature enough with your right hand then go for it. This is my opinion. Bikes like the busa and the 14r are very sedate in the right hands compared to the wild 600s and 1000s. As someone else pointed you can go for the ninja 1000 as well. Comes in cheaper and has also similar performance.
HYPERTOURER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 14:48   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgeorgeroy View Post
Congratulations ! Suzuki has done such a stellar job in the design of the Gen3. The instrument cluster is indeed my favorite part too.

The hayabusa has always been THE dream superbike for me, and no other machine out there can cut it it terms of its desirability.

Just a doubt. Is the gen3 tame enough to handle for someone who's never ridden a superbike before? Should i go for the Busa , or work my way up the displacement categories? I've been riding for around 15 years but its mostly been only Royal Enfields. But the Gen3 is has been driving me crazy ever since it's launched , and my heart's set itself to owning the Gen3 while my mind is telling me otherwise!
The question we need to ask ourself is -
1. Are you ready to wait till eternity to get the bike of your choice?
2. Do you have the money, the time and the patience to go step by step from middleweights and gradually increasing to 1000+ Cc?
3. Will there be any difference in the cautious level, to respect the power at our disposal and take it slow and steady if we had graduated from 200cc to 1000+ Cc and 500/650 Cc to 1000+Cc ?
4. Are you ready for the steep learning curve involved in jumping up the power band curve and ready to take it slow and steady when it comes to learning and understanding the new acquisition?
5. Are you ready for the big change in sitting posture and the overall riding dynamics?

If Hayabusa is the first bike you are going to learn to ride, then yes its dangerous to yourself and others on the road.
But if one have been riding the bike for way too long and understand and respects the dynamics and is not too rough and is ready to take this slow and steady and getting used with the bike instead of squeezing the full power of the bike right at the start - meaning a sensible rider, then I believe you can go for it.
susheel_kainat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 16:10   #51
BHPian

While I certainly don't recommend a jump from an RE to a Busa, let me tell you that I know a friend who took the jump and things are ok right here in my small city. I ride a Duke 390 by the way.

Let's get it straight that you must be a level headed, patient guy who has a basic idea of how torque and power works.
End of the day, no it doesn't make 200 bhp at 2000 rpm. You must know how engines work and how they interact with the gearing to lay down a certain speed.

Rememer, the clutch controls all the power. Initially, slotting in the first gear might give a big thud, don't be surprised, at least I was. Initially, don't give throttle while launching, just release the clutch lever very slowly as the bike takes off. In rare case it might stall with a jerk, don't worry.
Later on while riding it around, Have a healthy fear but no panic attitude, keep an eye on the surface ahead for indications of available grip, be careful with the weight of the bike (more so at lower speeds), raise the limits in safe locations slowly and mostly ride below them. And you should be ok.
Eventually, you'll do just fine don't worry. Wish you all the best.
Samarth 619 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 19:49   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Doc, the best course of action for you is to come down to Cochin for a weekend and visit all the showrooms and take test rides of all the bikes in your budget. Get a sense of the dealer experience, find out how often they are willing to come down to Trivandrum for service camps, costs of service etc. Barring Suzuki, all the other big brands are here.
I probably won't be going for a new motorcycle if i am to start off with a middleweight first and then sell it off later. I'd rather buy a used motorcycle, to minimise my depreciation loss when selling it.

How did you find out about your Triumph? Are there any Superbike clubs in Kerala where i could ask around about any potential bikes up for sale?
Old 12th January 2022, 20:07   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
I was in two minds to chime in and share my opinion on what you should do. The heck, I'll give in. Albeit, a little differently.

Please join a riding school first. We all have been riding motorbikes for many years alright but how many of us actually know ''how to ride'' correctly? Barely any. The reason being, we have not learnt the art of riding a motorcycle.

It just doesn't matter how many kms you've clocked or how many years you've been riding bikes. A proper riding school such as California Superbike School (which I think is the best in the business) will literally make you unlearn all the mistakes you've been doing for all these years and make you relearn all the correct techniques. Trust me, you'll love it! Then you can ride any darn motorbike (almost) with any displacement. Hope this helps!
Yes this makes perfect sense. Are there any good riding schools un India right now? how long is the usual training period?
Old 13th January 2022, 06:31   #54
BHPian

Quote:
But the Gen3 is has been driving me crazy ever since it's launched , and my heart's set itself to owning the Gen3 while my mind is telling me otherwise!
That’s always going to be a battle till the time the bike actually comes and you spend a week with it ( provided you go for it and practice getting used to it before you venture out )

I was in same situation of Mind vs heart a month back and I followed my heart.

I would say do your research about Gen 3, try getting a test ride or try getting a hand on it and then weigh everything but do follow your heart.

My first bike was CB 350 and now I’m riding Rocket 3 GT, I’ve done 1300kms on it already and it’s not been a month. I’m enjoying every bit of it.

Following pic is me on my way to Bordi (Native) with my wife.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I buy a Suzuki Hayabusa as my first big bike?-9cc06040b3734298a1ac1476d65b61cb.jpeg  

Last edited by GP19 : 13th January 2022 at 06:36. Reason: Description of the picture
GP19 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 10:11   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I probably won't be going for a new motorcycle if i am to start off with a middleweight first and then sell it off later. I'd rather buy a used motorcycle, to minimise my depreciation loss when selling it.

How did you find out about your Triumph? Are there any Superbike clubs in Kerala where i could ask around about any potential bikes up for sale?
Doc, yes there are some super bike clubs in Kerala but they require you to own a big bike first to gain access to them. I am not a part of some of them, but I will ask around on your behalf.

If you are going the preowned route, please do not go through the (in)famous superbike dealers. Dont even talk to them. If you hear some of the horror stories in the Kerala market, then you will rush to Cochin and book a brand new bike instead.

I would suggest that you look for a middleweight bike owned by a friend of a friend, you know what I mean. That way you will get to know whether the bike has been abused or not and you can easily find out which ones to avoid.

I got to know about my Triumph from a friend, who knew the then current owner. Since I had asked all my friends in the riding community to keep an eye out for any good bikes, my buddy had sent me the details as soon as he got to know that the bike was up for sale. I'll keep an eye out for any middleweight bikes that comes up through known contacts and let you know about it.

The other option for you is to approach reputed superbike garages like Motonerdz in Trivandrum. It is run by enthusiasts and they probably know all the superbikes, and their owners, in your city. Motonerdz can help connect you with owners who are looking to sell their bikes. Then you can deal directly with the owners. Just call up Motonerdz or better still, visit them.

I believe that Motonerdz also offer the service of providing a detailed multi point inspection of superbikes, if you are interested in purchasing it. I have brought both my bikes from Cochin to Trivandrum for them to work on it, and I have full faith in their expertise. They will certainly let you know if there are any red flags (mechanically) and what expenses you can expect to incur in the short to medium term, from a preowned bike that you are considering. Do consider availing of such expertise, if the situation arises.
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 16:31   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP19 View Post
My first bike was CB 350 and now I’m riding Rocket 3 GT, I’ve done 1300kms on it already and it’s not been a month. I’m enjoying every bit of it.
Whoa, that’s some upgrade GP19!

Congratulations on your Rocket 3 GT. Please consider putting up an ownership review of your Rocket, am sure it will be much appreciated by everyone.

Thank you.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 19:50   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Whoa, that’s some upgrade GP19!

Congratulations on your Rocket 3 GT. Please consider putting up an ownership review of your Rocket, am sure it will be much appreciated by everyone.

Thank you.

Cheers
Thank you.

I’ll do it once I return from my Native.

Just want an experience of riding with pillion and luggage on 3GT.
GP19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 20:38   #58
D3A

Quote:
Just a doubt. Is the gen3 tame enough to handle for someone who's never ridden a superbike before? Should i go for the Busa , or work my way up the displacement categories? I've been riding for around 15 years but its mostly been only Royal Enfields. But the Gen3 is has been driving me crazy ever since it's launched , and my heart's set itself to owning the Gen3 while my mind is telling me otherwise!
That is a terrible idea.
Hayabusa is not a TAME machine. As a human you will slip up now and then, and with no prior superbike experience, Hayabusa wont show any mercy. There is a reason why we see so many lives lost on ZX10R and Hayabusas in India. If you still insist on getting a Hayabusa as a first bike, please consider joining a superbike riding school at the earliest (although i strongly insist on gaining experience on a 650-900cc first)
D3A is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 12:48   #59
BHPian

Enfields are very lethargic and forgiving motorcycles. Hayabusa or even the Old Ninja 650 (without the electronics) going to need a lot more attention and skills.
It might be a good idea to rent/borrow a middleweight sports bike and judge for yourself if you can handle that much power, or you need to go in steps.

If you find you need to improve your skills, get cheap a 650-800cc (not RE, Harley, Street twins, V storm, or other slower bikes) bike for a small time.

Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think the majority of people who ride motorcycles know the fundamentals of riding(including enthusiasts). A well-trained rider with a few months on the saddle can be a 1000 times better rider than someone with 20years of riding experience. I can rant all day on this.

Investing in a riding school and track days can be the best life insurance for a superbike rider. Whenever you get the bike please get trained at some superbike school. Believe me, you won't regret it.

side tip: If you find the power to be overwhelming to start even in the lowest setting.
Consider putting a smaller rear sprocket till you get used to the power and then switch back to the original one.
ambarkhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 13:51   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are there any good riding schools un India right now? how long is the usual training period?
CSS (California Superbike School) is the gold standard. They hold their sessions at MMRT Chennai and the best part is you can even do it on their own Apache 310s if you don’t want to take your own bike.

Another option is TWO (run by Indimotard) which I think does its sessions at Coimbatore or somewhere but I’m not sure. Shumi from Powerdrift is one of the trainers there although the main man is Anand Dharmaraj. This should be an excellent option too in the absence of CSS being schedule. For CSS inquiries you could call Performance Racing Store in Mumbai and for TWO you could reach out to them via their website.

https://indimotard.com/two/

They all have levels based training, with a typical session lasting 3 days or so.

I have personally attended CSS back in 2019. I ride a Tiger so chose to do it on my Tiger only - despite it being an adventure bike. The idea was to get to know my bike better and become a better rider on my bike (as a starting point).

I had written a thread on my experience at CSS. Link below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...t-chennai.html (Review: California Superbike School @ MMRT Chennai)

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th January 2022 at 13:53.
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks