Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2021, 18:24   #31
BHPian

re: Superbike purchase advice | CBR vs Ninja

As a current Versys 650 rider - I will very strongly recommend going for Ninja 1000.

I have ridden it on some curvy roads & in the city also - found it to be a very value for money proposition.

Why - Because there is No absolutely No replacement for displacement. Believe me when I got the V650, I too thought 650cc(66Ps) is more than enough.

Initially this was true but as you get more adept at modulating yourself and the bike you will feel the need for more.

Also upgrading works out very expensive as these bikes depreciate very Fast & Hard.

If you can stretch than stretch, else wait till you get what you truly want.
Naztone is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 21:34   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Superbike purchase advice | CBR vs Ninja

Aneesh, I infer from your post that you are currently in agreement with a CBR250R, so I reckon, you prefer a sports tourer than an outright sports bike, if that's what I am to get from your post. But nonetheless, the need for speed and power is irreplaceable and Bhpians have jotted out excellent and astute advice.

My two cents though would be to dig a little deeper and "fix" on what type of motorcycle you are about to get. A sports tourer, the likes of CBR 650, N650, Ninja 1000 and pseudo-ADV like the VERSYS 650 and 1000 are comparatively cheaper when compared to an outright superbike. The initial bliss of owning a superbike dwindles down progressively every time you go over a speed breaker, patchy strip and choc a bloc traffic -- or at least this is what I've been told by a few SBK chaps I know of.

I'd love to scratch an SBK owner here to know if it's true.

The honeymoon period doesn't last long for some, only to realize they could have picked a simpler, comfortable option, middle weight sports tourers. I for one would consider only the NINJA 1000 truly a "s u p e r" bike owing to its affordability, stance, power and mile munching capabilities not only for the rider, it also does consider that your pillion has a butt so that they don't get lifeless after each ride.

Kawasaki is the only player here that has a wide gamut and all at an attractive price point. No wonder you see too many Kawis nowadays. A used N650 is up for grabs from 3.20L and a rider upgrading from a 150 to 300 has his net widened, and works out as a cheaper and sweeter proposition than an expensive quarter to mid segment pair of new wheels. (lo and behold) the CBR 650 too is up for grabs as low as 4.7 to 6L.

IMHO, the CBR 650 will eventually wane off and itch you for an upgrade, and for a few thousand grands more, you get 400 CCs, a fantastically creamy motor with great low end, superb touring traits, adjustable suspension and a road presence that the 650R just cannot match. Get used to this, and it's a keeper for the long term.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 16th December 2021 at 21:39.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 08:16   #33
BHPian

Re: Superbike purchase advice | CBR vs Ninja

My 2 cents, I'm from Pune, own a Ninja 1000 and put in fairly good miles on a yearly basis.

Do NOT buy a Ninja thinking ASC is present in Pune, giving it to them is a recipe for killing the bike. A friend of mine got a V650 and got it serviced for warranty reasons but used to get it serviced again from Kunal/Mihir.

It's a great bike but so is the CBR.

Last edited by manson : 18th December 2021 at 00:30. Reason: Typo.
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 12:44   #34

Hi Aneesh

I would recommend the Ninja. The low end torque is amazing and the engine is very refined. Very few vibes and a very linear pull. It pulls cleanly from as low as 35 40 kmph is 6th gear. Once you get used to the quickshifter there is no going back. The tech in it is fantastic. The service charges aren't as high as you have listed too. My first service was Rs6500 and second one was Rs7200(Kawasaki Hyderabad). Only expense on it was a rear tyre. 7000 km on the odo and no niggles till now. I wanted to go for a street triple but felt this was offering more value. My only gripe with it is its weight. 240kg is HEAVY
vinay5795 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 12:48   #35
BHPian

Assuming this is your first big bike, for now get whichever one you fancy.
Later, get the one you enjoy using more.

I know it sounds simple, but as you grow your priorities change. You might like touring more than hard cornering. You might like hills more than straight highways. You might want to ride with your partner more. So, for now scratch that itch. Apply logic later. If you really love bikes, this won't be your last one.

Cheers.

Last edited by manson : 18th December 2021 at 00:31.
forty6 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 16:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
The initial bliss of owning a superbike dwindles down progressively every time you go over a speed breaker, patchy strip and choc a bloc traffic -- or at least this is what I've been told by a few SBK chaps I know of.

I'd love to scratch an SBK owner here to know if it's true.
It is absolutely true. Riding a superbike with a taut/firm suspension on public roads (not referring to track usage) is a sacrifice, not a pleasure in any way.

Most of us here talk about creamy smooth SBK engines with scalpel like handling and the fun in riding that superbike in corners, but no one rants about how painful it is to ride these bikes on public roads with broken patches, potholes and what not.

Ask any SBK owner who has moved on to an ADV bike and you'll get the true picture.

Ask any roadster/super sport/sports tourer SBK owner and what you'll get to observe is being-in-denial. Just kidding, as individuals all of us have different thresholds as to what we consider to be "uncomfortable", perhaps there are those of us who do not feel discomfort.

PS: this perception perhaps depends on the kind of roads one is riding on. In the state of MH roads are pathetic. KA is perhaps better off where the highways have smooth tarmac. But in general in India, one is bound to run into broken roads one way or the other and it's there that one wishes one was riding an ADV.

Last edited by GoBlue : 17th December 2021 at 16:46.
GoBlue is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 21:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh2M View Post
Hello all, Thanks a lot for your informative and detailed suggestions on my post. To elaborate further, my riding style would be 70% weekend rides with mix of bikes in a group /or solo and one day returns and 30% touring. The bike would hardly see the track and also only occasionally be ridden for city commute.

As suggested by few, I have seen preowned Ninjas but nothing good came across from genuine seller / owner and I am avoiding dealers.
As a fellow superbiker from Pune, let me give my inputs:

Ninja 1000 is a great bike and i will choose it over CBR650 any day given your kind of usage; provided that you upgrade your riding skills also (especially cornering skills) as the shift from a 250 to 1000 is a big one in terms of both Power and Weight of the bikes.

But, I will suggest you to go for Versys 650 instead for the following reasons:

1. When the road surface is not broken, supersports and sports tourers are huge fun to ride. You probably love the sound of inline 4 - given your shortlist, but most of the highways around Pune are filled with potholes and B roads are in broken state mostly. So, riding a supersport or even a sport tourer (no matter how much power it makes) on those roads is not exactly as rewarding experience as it sounds on paper

2. What we ideally need in such riding conditions is a 650+ cc adv tourer bike (for the added suspension travel, ground clearance and upright sitting) with preferably 17" wheels (to get the desired nimbleness in corners) and as lower weight as possible to make the overall riding experience fun.

So, considering your overall usage pattern and requirements about the price, maintenance costs, fuel costs, aftersales service, ownership tenure, etc. I will strongly recommend you to buy the Versys 650 instead of your current shortlist. You will enjoy your leisure rides and touring on Versys much more than N1 or CBR.
46TheDoctor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 22:06   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naztone View Post
If you can stretch than stretch, else wait till you get what you truly want.
Wholeheartedly agree on getting what you really want if you can. No point getting 80% of the bike for 60% of the price because you'll keep wishing you bought what you really want.

That's the way I thought when I got the Versys 1000 as against the Versys 650 (which is a great bike as well). Don't regret it at all.

The other things to realize is that whether you get a 650 or a 1000, the maintenance and upkeep will be fairly similar (the 1000 will be a little more but not 50% more). So it's mainly the initial cost of purchase that's different.
Proxima is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 08:49   #39
BHPian

Though I'm a CBR 650F owner purely because I cannot comprehend the expensive after sales service of the Kawasaki. Its like a penetration marketing thingy for me. Get you on board and then skin you alive. For a guy who's jumped to live his big bike dream Im super happy the way CBR has so far panned out for me and next up will be a ADV.

But if you are not in the scene of cost of ownership as stingily as I do. Test ride both a bit comprehensively back to back (same day) and see for yourself what made you smile and happy at the end of it. Take the test ride in Mumbai itself of the both. And you will have an answer.

My heart says Honda.Even the wallet on the longer run!
akshayhonda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 11:30   #40
BHPian

Feeling Great that I posted my dilemma on this forum. Getting really nice and informative suggestions. Thanks all. Though I have test ridden both but as many suggested I think test riding both back to back is the way to go, so will be planning a visit again to Mumbai soon. (as CBR cannot be test ridden here in Pune). And as few suggested to go for Street Triple or an ADV is sensible but not a choice for me this time as for me choice is sport touring bike and This time I am completely in only for Inline 4pot machine.

Last edited by aneesh2M : 18th December 2021 at 11:39.
Old 18th December 2021, 14:30   #41
BHPian

Hi Aneesh,

I have owned a 2018 650F and 2017 650F back to back. I was greatly disappointed to be honest buying it again. Largely it was probably due to more expectations while buying second time.

So now, guess what, I own a 2020 Ninja 1000. My opinion is GO FOR 1000c, worth it.

I have never been a tourer. Havent done more than 150kms in one stretch on my CBRs. Ninja I got it 3 months back and I already did 3500kms and two 400kms trips and I just keep riding more and more. Ninja is for no reason one of the best sports tourers in the world. I was made a tourer by this bike.

Power, no comparison, 1000cc is 1000cc. I dont worry anymore on power or top end anymore..CBR is good, but as many said, it will feel mediocre very soon since it was never meant to be that.

In city, Ninja will take some time to get used to. After say 1000kms, you will rock even the city rides like a pro. And know what, I love wet roads now, due to the amazing KTRC giving me confidence.

And lastly, my brother was eyeing a 650cc upgrade from his CBR250. I kept telling him to buying a Ninja 1000 and he was saying he doesnt want a big one. Then one fine day I let him ride my bike for 25 odd kms on NICE road bangalore. And then, no more guesses, we have the 2nd Ninja 1000 in family now

Overall, after getting used to the initial weight feel, there is nothing stopping a Ninja 1000. And once you get used to it, you wont even notice. We both are 5 6 and even that isnt a problem. Icing on cake - 17 to 19kmpl mileage as well at par with Honda's.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 23:37   #42

2020 March: I had the same dilemma and went for the 1000 (not SX)
But in my case, the price difference was only 1L. So it was a no brainer.
I had extensively ridden the older 650F and was fixated on it but when I saw the BS VI 650R, I felt the build quality has gone down a lot.
Go for the Ninja. Once you get used to the weight, nothing else will appeal on highways. Unless you're planning to commute. In that case, the Honda will be more manageable in city of course.
It gives 20-21 kmpl on highways and cruising at 120-140 is super relaxed and fun.
Feel free to PM me for my number and take my inputs at any time.
Sarvajit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 00:27   #43
BHPian

Since I have driven both bikes, I would go for the Ninja 1000, given that I am planning to own it for a long time. If you are planning just for an upgrade, maybe 650cc would be sufficient for now. But you will most probably feel like upgrading again after a few years. As always, Please test drive both the bikes and take the decision.
Vyas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 10:48   #44
BHPian

Hi guy's, so yesterday I visited Kawasaki Pune again. I was told by the sales executive that there would be a discount of 60k INR on 2021 model, which will be applicable till end of Dec. To my surprise I was told that the discount scheme has been called off and now they can do is 20-30K max. When I asked why I was not informed about this before the discount was called off, they had no answer.

I will also be planning another visit to Mumbai for CBR650R for 2nd test ride and as suggested by many make my mind once I ride both the bikes back to back.
aneesh2M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 20:22   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh2M View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first new thread on this forum so please excuse me for any mistakes.

I am creating this thread to seek advice and help from you guys on purchase of new superbike.

Thanks in advance.
Spreadsheets don't bring a smile inside the helmet . I recently upgraded from a CBR 250R to a litre class bike and glad I did not waste time and money with 650 as an intermediate upgrade. Of course this means learning to control the throttle hand carefully but after 150000kms under my belt, it's easy to be mature in all situations.

NOTHING can compare to the sheer torque and in gear acceleration. Liter class bikes are simply so far ahead of the curve that a 650 will make you repent when you test ride one. I say atleast swing a leg on the 1000sx before you put down the cash - you'd be surprised how much of the power is usable even on our roads.

The bike I got is a used Tiger 1050 (it's the only one in India) but with a new bike and especially a japanese bike, you should be better off with service cost,reliability etc...
shankarbn is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks