Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2022, 23:08   #31
BHPian

Re: Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt363 View Post
Hi Xaos636

I've been reading and re-reading your thread for the past few weeks 😁
Amazing bike and a great thread about the bike and the journey.
I'm also from Calicut and would like to discuss a few things. Could you share your contact details or mail me at rithin.3@gmail.com ?
Thanks for the words. Sure I will connect with you soon.
Xaos636 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 00:33   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
[b]Learning things the hard way.
|
|

Lesson learned : Get a torque wrench when you are working alone !
Hello Xaos636, been following your thread ever since I bought my own CBR 650F last October. Even though I neither have the technical expertise or knowledge on bikes maintenance, your thread gives me the confidence check what's being done while service which helps a lot, so thank you . Kindly let me know where did you source the Brake Pads from in Bangalore. My bike is almost 14k and need to get it changed by the next service.

Last edited by Eddy : 29th January 2022 at 02:17. Reason: Quoting a long message hampers readability
Jesse_Mach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 08:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_Mach View Post
Hello Xaos636, been following your thread ever since I bought my own CBR 650F last October. Even though I neither have the technical expertise or knowledge on bikes maintenance, your thread gives me the confidence check what's being done while service which helps a lot, so thank you . Kindly let me know where did you source the Brake Pads from in Bangalore. My bike is almost 14k and need to get it changed by the next service.
Thanks a lot for the words. You can get EBC brake pads from bikenbiker, motousher or other online shops. I think Bigwing itself should have it in stock. Another thing is the last generation CBR250R’s(LED headlight) front pads are a direct fit on 650F. It performs same too. Hope it helps.
Old 31st January 2022, 16:24   #34
BHPian

Beautiful bike. Having owned an f4i I can vouch for the reliability and flexibility of these bikes. Although the 650R is much down on power compared to the f4i I think the usage is pretty similar. Relaxed riding stance, can be toured on and will play when you are in the mood.
I have done plenty of pad changes and brake fluid refreshes but never had the fortune to own the piston pushing tool you have pictured. I do feel these are good to have but I felt it wasn't too difficult pushing the pistons in with your hands
doga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 22:43   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the words. You can get EBC brake pads from bikenbiker, motousher or other online shops. I think Bigwing itself should have it in stock. Another thing is the last generation CBR250R’s(LED headlight) front pads are a direct fit on 650F. It performs same too. Hope it helps.
Wow never know CBR250r is sharing parts with 650F . Thank you very much for the information, will definitely get it checked.
Jesse_Mach is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 09:14   #36
BHPian

Yo! Guess you have replaced your bike tyres to Vredestein Centauro ST right? Saw the bike post on TyreGuys. How are they doing. Could you update about the same here?
akshayhonda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 09:40   #37
BHPian

Tire update. Vredestein's.

So this is a late update here, just because I did not want to put something up here right after the tire purchase. I have now completed 2000+ kms on the Vredestein Centauro ST and believe I can give a verdict on the performance of the tires.
So we(me and @krishnaprasadgg) started early to Tire guys, Cochin for the replacement of my Pirelli Angel ST to the Vredestein, which was just launched and apart from a few reviews from abroad, no one knows what these were or how these performed. I got my tires from the very first lot which Apollo shipped out as my Angel ST's had squared out and was bit of a hassle going into corners and coming out of it.

I really wanted the Michelin Road 5's, but the skyrocket price tag of 40+ on these and the Pirelli'ss led me to the Vredestein's. My usage is mostly highways and I thought that I should give it a shot at Rs.25k compared to almost double for other brands.

On the way to tyre Guys in one of the baddest weather possible.
Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5552.jpg

Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5555.jpg

Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5560.jpg

Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img3725.jpg

The tyre guys team did a really good job. Nothing to complain at all. Did the wheel balancing too. They had the right paddocks for both front and rear which makes their work a lot more comfortable.
Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5573.jpg

Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5578.jpg

Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5588.jpg

Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5585.jpg

Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5584.jpg

Closer look at the tires.
Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5593.jpg

Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5583.jpg

Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5580.jpg

Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5582.jpg

All the axle bolts where torqued to spec.
Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5591.jpg

@Krishnaprasadgg testing the new tires while I run the mill on his R1
Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5600.jpg

Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5595.jpg

Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5597.jpg

Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-img5601.jpg

Verdict : I have ridden around 1200kms in pure rain and around 900kms on dry tarmac and I can confirm that the wet grip is really superb, perhaps on par with the Road 5's. But one issue I feel is that the profile of these tires are a bit flatter than usual and hence looks bulky on the bike. That may not be a bad thing in anyway, but it does feel heavy. The whole bikes handling felt a bit heavier than usual. Grip is right there when you ask for it, but going into corners, somewhere in my mind it tells me that these aren't tested tires and I am one of the first testers, and this thought isn't allowing me to try the cornering grip like how I tried on the Pirellis or Michelins. Somewhere it struck me that these might give up, but they never did that yet. Corner grips are decent, please do not expect Road 5/Rosso 3/4 levels, but its right up there. The reviews put up by the journos which happened for these at the Buddh Circuit felt paid to the T, because no one ever explained anything in detail.
Overall, for the price, I would suggest to go for it. There are a hell lot of bikes which can utilize this price point which Apollo sells the Vredestein's. But seeing the prices in Thailand, I do think Apollo took advantage and as its Made in India, the prices should have been around the 20k ballpark. They are really taking advantage of the current Indian scenario, but yeah that's how business runs. But still for super sports which can see extreme speeds at a fraction of seconds, I would still suggest to stick to tried and tested tires as of now. Hope this helps.
Xaos636 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 10:38   #38
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this honest/unbiased review.

I feel these tires are being unnecessarily glorified.

They are NOT premium tires being sold at 50% of the cost.

We as motorcyclists should be pragmatic and open minded to call a spade a spade.

Respect to you, sir.
GoBlue is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 11:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b]Grip is right there when you ask for it, but going into corners, somewhere in my mind it tells me that these aren't tested tires and I am one of the first testers, and this thought isn't allowing me to try the cornering grip like how I tried on the Pirellis or Michelins. Somewhere it struck me that these might give up, but they never did that yet. Corner grips are decent, please do not expect Road 5/Rosso 3/4 levels, but its right up there.
Trusting your tires can be very rewarding and that is what I did when I went for my first long ride on these tires. If i had gone with the Road 5 or the Rosso 3/4, mentally I would have been more confident with the grip levels that would be on offer but with these I was not expecting any exceptional grip but just hoped they are at least on par with the Bridgestone Battlax that I had originally. Now, whenever the opportunity comes next I would like to try the stickier options available to determine what suits me best for my needs.

This is a good ownership thread with useful info and thank you for putting it up and updating it regularly. And special thanks to @krishna for pushing you to pen it down as every ownership is unique and different as he said.
SnS_12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 20:18   #40
BHPian

End of the era with the CBR650F.

I am as surprised as most of you who are reading this. I decided to part ways with the 650F after finding a dream car at a comfortable price point and since I had to arrange funds, decided to let go off the 650F. Things did not go as per plan after selling the 650F as the car buying plans went through the drain pretty quickly and unexpectedly too.

This guilt feeling of letting the perfect 650 go from my hands and not getting the thing I wanted, I decided to stay in the CBR family and go for the big one. Just in time, a very close friend had a perfect bike, but he was in 2 minds whether to sell or not and I jumped at the opportunity. He was out of station for quite sometime and after a long negotiation, he decided to let it go.

Before that, I am happy to share that the CBR650F will remain in Team-bhp family with our doctor friend, @alphadog who struck a deal with me and handed over the keys last weekend. Congrats doctor on the bike and I am pretty sure you are going to love it.

So here is the upgrade from a CBR to another CBR. Except the CBR150R, I have bought all other CBR's sold in India and Honda, better keep me happy
Here is my new, old 2013 CBR 1000RR, Repsol edition. More details on a new thread

Jack of all trades | My Honda CBR650F Review-blade.jpg
Xaos636 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 20:40   #41
BHPian

Quote:
End of the era with the CBR650F.

I am as surprised as most of you who are reading this. I decided to part ways with the 650F after finding a dream car at a comfortable price point and since I had to arrange funds, decided to let go off the 650F..
That was a roller coaster decision making process! Congratulations for the new beauty! Hoping to read more on the same.

If you don’t mind telling us, which car made you sell your perfect CBR
abhi_tjet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 21:03   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
That was a roller coaster decision making process! Congratulations for the new beauty! Hoping to read more on the same.

If you don’t mind telling us, which car made you sell your perfect CBR
Thanks mate. It was an Octavia RS230.
Xaos636 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 21:06   #43
BHPian

Congratulations on the new acquisition Xaos636 . In the company of R1's and Tigers, the 1000 RR would now be able to keep up .
Jesse_Mach is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 09:24   #44
BHPian

WOW Congratulations mate. TBH Im too contemplating between a 2013-14 1000RR or the AT currently. I have zero clarity so far. Till then enjoying my Raven
akshayhonda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 10:43   #45
BHPian

Congrats to both Xaos636 and alphadog.
What a wild turn of events it was, I'm pretty sure it still feels a bit surreal, lot of memories to remember the 650 by and a lot of new memories to be made with the blade too.

It's always extra special and somewhat comforting when you know the person who is going to use the bike you so much loved for is going to put in as much or even more effort into it. I'm sure the 650 is going to be witnessing some really good pampering and rides along the way. Congrats again doc!

As for Xaos636, can't wait to start riding with the blade. It's going to be fun!

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks