Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2022, 21:54   #31
BHPian

Re: My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Shanmd, have you tried reaching out to Triumph India? Maybe they can get a head technician from another SVC to fly in and help diagnose the issue.
Yes.. They seem to be on it at that front. Triumph UK too is involved, from what I've been told.
The damn light switches back on after 30-40kms. They're running diagnostics.. and everything's coming clean. But the overall experience has been quite frustrating. And to think I chose Triumph for reliability. lol
Jokes aside, it IS a beautiful machine.
Shanmd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 12:22   #32
BHPian

Hello,
I have been doing touring on the Trident for last 2 years. I would say it's definitely not a bad touring motorcycle and can definitely be a mile muncher having sometimes done 500 km in a day.

My biggest gripe is that sometime I feel the seat is little too soft when covering longer distances. The seat feels sunk in which does not help post 250 km with more breaks required. I felt comfortable on Duke which had a harder seat ��.

Has anyone felt the same and what could be a good solution to make it better ? When I search online I only find results to make seat softer, but in my opinion I think that won't help.

Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 06:56   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeeshaan007 View Post
Hello,
I have been doing touring on the Trident for last 2 years. I would say it's definitely not a bad touring motorcycle and can definitely be a mile muncher having sometimes done 500 km in a day.

My biggest gripe is that sometime I feel the seat is little too soft when covering longer distances. The seat feels sunk in which does not help post 250 km with more breaks required. I felt comfortable on Duke which had a harder seat ��.

Has anyone felt the same and what could be a good solution to make it better ? When I search online I only find results to make seat softer, but in my opinion I think that won't help.

Thanks

I agree, more breaks are required after 250kms. I got myself gel-shorts and kind of mitigated the discomfort. At least tried to. Worked a bit. Got a strap-on seat cushion now, for a change. Waiting for the next long trip EOY.
I don't want to replace the seat as in the city I have zero complaints.
Old 1st October 2023, 08:41   #34
BHPian

Is the strap on seat cushion like gel/air seat or custom made ?
Old 8th October 2023, 06:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeeshaan007 View Post
Is the strap on seat cushion like gel/air seat or custom made ?
It's gel. And I've not used it as the bike's at the chop shop. The only concern will be how snug it sits with ref to the original seat. It has straps to tighten it.. still.
For a 150kms ride, the og seat is great for me (Bom-Pune). It's the longer ones like Bom-Kolhapur/Goa that I find the seat quite uncomfortable. Never the first 200kms of the day.
Old 8th November 2023, 13:09   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
Yes.. They seem to be on it at that front. Triumph UK too is involved, from what I've been told.
The damn light switches back on after 30-40kms. They're running diagnostics.. and everything's coming clean. But the overall experience has been quite frustrating. And to think I chose Triumph for reliability. lol
Jokes aside, it IS a beautiful machine.
So what was the cause and were they able to fix it completely?
Old 8th November 2023, 16:49   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
So what was the cause and were they able to fix it completely?
Wow. This is from more than a year ago.

Yes, it got fixed. It had stumped Triumph engineers at UK too. They eventually greenlighted a replacement of the entire wiring of the bike, and the light just stopped glowing.
I ran it for some 13k kms zero issues, and a month plus ago, the radiator fan conked out. So, it's been sitting at the SC since then waiting for a replacement to arrive from the UK, and when it did it promptly got stuck at Bombay customs for some 'company' reasons.
This whole Bajaj takeover of the Triumph India operations has been a royal mess in terms of OG Triumph owner experience. I'm told, a few other bikes are also holed up at the SC waiting due to the Bajaj - Triumph UK - Indian Customs troika. I hope the smart lot at Bajaj realise soon that the main reason for the 400's demand and not lose focus on the OG Triumph owners' experiences. They should have brought out the 400's under the Dominar brand if they think otherwise.
Old 8th November 2023, 18:27   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
Wow. This is from more than a year ago.

Yes, it got fixed.
I ran it for some 13k kms zero issues, and a month plus ago, the radiator fan conked out. So, it's been sitting at the SC since then waiting for a replacement to arrive from the UK, and when it did it promptly got stuck at Bombay customs for some 'company' reasons.
I hope the smart lot at Bajaj realise soon that the main reason for the 400's demand and not lose focus on the OG Triumph owners' experiences. They should have brought out the 400's under the Dominar brand if they think otherwise.
Wowza, Triumph horror stories are never-ending. And to imagine that this was your first proper big bike, I know how badly it must hurt. I own a 1st gen Street Twin and recently encountered the infamous immobilizer issue that has plagued this model specifically the world over due to faulty wiring harness causing damage to critical wires. There was a voluntary recall for specific bikes but I don't think mine was part of it and now it is out of warranty so it needed an expensive fix. My feeling as a first-time 'big bike' owner is did we move to a segment above only to struggle with such a stupid basic functional error?

On the whole Bajaj Triumph partnership and the Speed 400, I have a different view than yours. I think the bikes are phenomenal and if Bajaj manages this the KTM way then there is potential. However poor in quality of manufacturing some Indian products are (my opinion, not wanting to start a debate here), there is always a quick way to repair it, unlike the foreign imports which beat the Bjesus out of the most experienced.

I hear they are expanding their network of dealers as well as service centers so if this is a trickle-down effect of the Speed 400 then all OG Triumph owners must rejoice. Perhaps there is something good for all others coming soon. The only thing I now regret is the new Speed 400 is robbing the 'quiet luxury' aspect of owning a Triumph. It was one those 'if you are in the know then you know' kind of a brand but now a large portion will know
Old 8th November 2023, 19:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Wowza, Triumph horror stories are never-ending. And to imagine that this was your first proper big bike, I know how badly it must hurt. I own a 1st gen Street Twin and recently encountered the infamous immobilizer issue that has plagued this model specifically the world over due to faulty wiring harness causing damage to critical wires. There was a voluntary recall for specific bikes but I don't think mine was part of it and now it is out of warranty so it needed an expensive fix. My feeling as a first-time 'big bike' owner is did we move to a segment above only to struggle with such a stupid basic functional error?
Ahh shucks. That's unfortunate for you. The twin is a marvellous machine. I was eyeing it before the nippiness of the Trident won me over. My present case, I'd not term it as a 'Triumph horror' story. Rather, it seems more like a Bajaj apathy issue. There is a proper Babudom-level sequence of steps that take place for any warranty-related replacements. But that getting stuck at customs only points to a slackness at Bajaj's end, given they've taken over India operations the responsibility lands at their doorsteps. They need to streamline things for a greater customer experience.

Quote:
On the whole Bajaj Triumph partnership and the Speed 400, I have a different view than yours. I think the bikes are phenomenal and if Bajaj manages this the KTM way then there is potential. However poor in quality of manufacturing some Indian products are (my opinion, not wanting to start a debate here), there is always a quick way to repair it, unlike the foreign imports which beat the Bjesus out of the most experienced.
No doubt the bikes are good. I am yet to TD either one. But I am evaluating a Scrambler400 + Tiger 900 GT as my future upgrades. The repairability factor of the younglings will become clearer over the next year or so, is my guess.

Quote:
I hear they are expanding their network of dealers as well as service centers so if this is a trickle-down effect of the Speed 400 then all OG Triumph owners must rejoice. Perhaps there is something good for all others coming soon. The only thing I now regret is the new Speed 400 is robbing the 'quiet luxury' aspect of owning a Triumph. It was one those 'if you are in the know then you know' kind of a brand but now a large portion will know
Hahaha.. I'm ok with more of the younglings showing up on the roads. The more the merrier. Imo the dealership expansion is more focused on the younglings rather than the brand defining Twins, Triples and Tigers. If you go to one of the newly opened branches outside A-tier cities and see a Tiger there, then I'll be wrong. Else..

Last edited by Aditya : 8th November 2023 at 22:57. Reason: Quote tags fixed
Old 9th November 2023, 03:29   #40
BHPian

Quote:
The only thing I now regret is the new Speed 400 is robbing the 'quiet luxury' aspect of owning a Triumph. It was one those 'if you are in the know then you know' kind of a brand but now a large portion will know
Perfectly said. A cousin rides the old Street Twin and is quite upset that most people most people mistake it for the Speed 400! Earlier, when asked, he would say he rides a Triumph, now he specifically says he rides a Triumph Speed Twin 900!
Old 9th November 2023, 07:22   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcloud View Post
Perfectly said. A cousin rides the old Street Twin and is quite upset that most people most people mistake it for the Speed 400! Earlier, when asked, he would say he rides a Triumph, now he specifically says he rides a Triumph Speed Twin 900!
True! I just say it's the new Jawa when people ask what bike this is .
Old 11th November 2023, 11:27   #42
BHPian

Quote:
True! I just say it's the new Jawa when people ask what bike this is .
😁 A Jawa that sounds like a triple. The Trident imo is one of the best sounding triples Triumph makes. Its compact size doesn’t draw attention but once it’s fired up and running you realise it’s not a usual commuter.
Old 13th November 2023, 11:01   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcloud View Post
Its compact size doesn’t draw attention but once it’s fired up and running you realise it’s not a usual commuter.
And that is what we love about sleeper bikes, isn't it? I swear, despite the 'modern retro' tag attached to the bike, it brings out the hooligan in me. You crawl up to unsuspecting prey, line up perfectly parallel to them so they catch a glimpse of your tank, and then brrrrappp . No? Ok, then maybe it's just me!
shabih is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 11:58   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I swear, despite the 'modern retro' tag attached to the bike, it brings out the hooligan in me.

No? Ok, then maybe it's just me!
I get this feeling with the Tiger Sport 660 itself, so can imagine how much more the Trident would make you feel

My riding style has changed significantly from the Versys to the Tiger Sport. Somehow this just feels like it's begging you to ride harder. Everything seems to come into place the harder to test the machine.

The other bikes which brings out similar feeling in me are the KTMs.
Old 13th November 2023, 22:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
And that is what we love about sleeper bikes, isn't it? I swear, despite the 'modern retro' tag attached to the bike, it brings out the hooligan in me. You crawl up to unsuspecting prey, line up perfectly parallel to them so they catch a glimpse of your tank, and then brrrrappp . No? Ok, then maybe it's just me!
What a perfect way to do that! The Trident’s compact size, that triple cylinder engine and those Road5 tyres make it a hoot to ride in the city. Even on the highways that bike can pull and continue doing so until one has to stop due to the windblast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I get this feeling with the Tiger Sport 660 itself, so can imagine how much more the Trident would make you feel

My riding style has changed significantly from the Versys to the Tiger Sport. Somehow this just feels like it's begging you to ride harder. Everything seems to come into place the harder to test the machine.

The other bikes which brings out similar feeling in me are the KTMs.
I haven’t ridden the Tiger Sport 660 but I’m assuming it would be even more fun to ride than the Trident. For my height I find the Trident a bit too cramped. Also the windshield on the Tiger may allow it to be pushed harder than the Trident

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks