Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2021, 05:43   #31
BHPian

Re: Buying a pre-owned Triumph Street Twin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkar228 View Post
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
I felt less inclines towards Triumph because of the service experience at the dealership and I wanted to go for a new bike instead of a pre-owned bike because of the risks that come along with it.
I decided to check-out CB500X over the weekend and ended up also doing a test-ride of CB650R.

Cheers, Deepak
Congrats Deepak. However, just a word of caution, it is an IC engine. Vibrations are bound to be there. I had the CB500X with me for a few days as a loaner bike when I gave my FZ6R for service. Yes, CB500X is smoother than the Ninja650, and it is quite fun. In the right hands, this is all the bike you ever need, be it in India or Australia. That is unless you ride the FZ6R. That's for another day. But the point is, you made a very good decision. However, keep an open mind regarding vibrations. The vibrations are there, they are also there on the CB650. May be you did not feel it on the longish test ride. To me its not a deal breaker, but since you sold your Suzuki 250 because of that, I want you to know this and keep an open mind. You are right, the bike is super comfortable on highways and in the city and you cannot arrive any more fresh on a bike at the destination.
Cheers and have a good day.
CK
Mr.Ogre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 11:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Congrats! The Honda is a great option despite the crazy pricing. However the bike is incredibly practical for our roads. Wish you happy mile munching. Also there is no ownership thread for the Honda Cb500x on team bhp so hopefully you can make the first one soon
Thank you
I will definitely share my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ogre View Post
Congrats Deepak. However, just a word of caution, it is an IC engine. Vibrations are bound to be there. I had the CB500X with me for a few days as a loaner bike when I gave my FZ6R for service. Yes, CB500X is smoother than the Ninja650, and it is quite fun. In the right hands, this is all the bike you ever need, be it in India or Australia. That is unless you ride the FZ6R. That's for another day. But the point is, you made a very good decision. However, keep an open mind regarding vibrations. The vibrations are there, they are also there on the CB650. May be you did not feel it on the longish test ride. To me its not a deal breaker, but since you sold your Suzuki 250 because of that, I want you to know this and keep an open mind. You are right, the bike is super comfortable on highways and in the city and you cannot arrive any more fresh on a bike at the destination.
Cheers and have a good day.
CK
Thank you
I agree with you that CB500X does vibrate a bit especially at 6k rpm but this was barely noticeable to me. I also agree about FZ6R being a better bike when it comes to refinement and power. My brother lives in Australia and owns FZ6R, he also tells me the same about the bike.

Coming to my Gixxer 250 SF, it had vibrations that made my palm numb, it also had an an aggressive riding posture and stiff suspension that made it uncomfortable for me. It felt great on national highways but struggled on state highways that have tonnes of potholes and bumps. This is where I feel/hope CB500X will excel and prove to be worth it.

Cheers and have a great week
Old 6th September 2021, 12:34   #33
BHPian

Congratulations Deepak on booking the CB500X.
It is a well rounded motorcycle. Once you get bored in couple of years, there is always the Rally Kit to keep you engaged. As Shumi from PD recently said, the question of price ends once you are out of the showroom.
Please do keep posting on updates.
shaikhmimran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 12:48   #34
BHPian

Note to admin: Please move this to the relevant section, if this is not the right fit here.

I recently went to the One Triumph, Gurgaon showroom and got to know that a certain gentleman is selling his 2016 Candy Red Street Twin (First Gen). I saw the motorbike and found it to be quite 'clean', the odo reads just 921 km. The showroom guys told me that the owner has not ridden the motorcycle much because of travel and other engagements and showed me the service records.

All looked fine till I reached the records for the year 2022 where I see that in April the bike has gone through a major engine overhaul with the engine head and other related parts replaced (under warranty). When I turned the bike on, I noticed that the engine check light was on. I asked the good folks at the showroom about this and they told me that the bike was stationary for a long time and when one day the owner took it out for a spin, there was some noise coming from the engine which they fixed (by replacing parts under warranty).

Now I am inclined to believe this story, but I can't spin my head around the fact that a less than 1000km run bike from a reputed manufacturer like Triumph will need such a major engine job and yet the problem wasn't fixed because the engine check light was still on when I saw the bike last weekend.

I am posting this to seek advice from the group of Triumph owners on whether I should be considering this particular bike because when I get my hands on it, there will be no Triumph warranty. And if any of you happen to know of the original owner who can tell me realistically what is going on. Appreciate any help.

PS: For privacy reasons, I am not posting pictures or vehicle number here but I have details with me and can discuss them privately.

Last edited by shabih : 2nd September 2022 at 12:57.
shabih is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 13:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
I recently went to the One Triumph, Gurgaon showroom and got to know that a certain gentleman is selling his 2016 Candy Red Street Twin (First Gen). I saw the motorbike and found it to be quite 'clean', the odo reads just 921 km. The showroom guys told me that the owner has not ridden the motorcycle much because of travel and other engagements and showed me the service records.

And if any of you happen to know of the original owner who can tell me realistically what is going on.
916 kilometres on a 2016 bike in 2022 is a red flag to me even with all service records. No idea about the integrity of One Triumph Gurgaon, perhaps someone from there could shed some light on this.

Has the showroom bought this bike from the first owner or are they selling the bike on behalf of the owner. If they (showroom) have bought this bike they should have no qualms about sharing the owners contact details so you may verify things.

If speaking with the owner and checking other details is not possible I would steer clear of this bike.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 14:59   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
916 kilometres on a 2016 bike in 2022 is a red flag to me even with all service records. No idea about the integrity of One Triumph Gurgaon, perhaps someone from there could shed some light on this.

Has the showroom bought this bike from the first owner or are they selling the bike on behalf of the owner. If they (showroom) have bought this bike they should have no qualms about sharing the owners contact details so you may verify things.

If speaking with the owner and checking other details is not possible I would steer clear of this bike.

Cheers
I think the bike is still under the first owner's name and he's requested Triumph guys to find a buyer since he doesn't ride frequently (for whatever reason they gave me). I couldn't find the owner's details and they didn't share it with me either hence I posted here to find leads.

Anyway, thanks so much for the reply. I am still looking out for a moderately used Street Twin (prefer the candy red option). Appreciate if folks here have any leads for a Delhi NCR bike.
Old 13th September 2022, 12:35   #37
BHPian

Hello again! Thought I will update the good folks here that after much deliberation and snooping around the market, I bit the bullet and picked up a 2017 Street Twin in Matt Black with 7500 km on the odo.

This definitely was a dream come true moment for me. I don't know what it is but from a very young age, I have only admired Triumph motorcycles (Perhaps Tom Cruise was responsible ). And when they launched the Street Twin in 2016, I was hooked. It just felt like a perfect harmony of elements, the engine, the styling, and the character. I waited patiently over the years, dreaming and drooling over it only to realise the bike now costs 10 lakhs on the road and is too out of reach for me. So I decided to take the pre-owned route, which so far in my automobile journey, I find to be sensible. After reading through multiple forums and blogs and whatnots, sleepless nights of anxiety, and more drooling, here I am sitting proudly on my own Bonnie. A massive thank you to my new friends here (I am certain you know who you are) who helped me in the selection journey. Your thoughts have given me immense wisdom.

I know the pre-owned route is equal part risky as it is safe so let's see what it teaches me - An expensive lesson or good relationships!

Buying a pre-owned Triumph Street Twin?-img20220912wa0023.jpg
shabih is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 03:36   #38
BHPian

Hello, Shabih.
Congratulations, good to know you finally got your desired bike after much struggle and effort. If you don't might I would like to know your experience with ST until now, ride quality, servicing/cost cause even though I'm looking forward to a classic bike like 650Twins/ upcoming 650shotgun or 650 Classic. But to be honest I can't wait for another year cause the probability the classic 650 might come by mid/ late 2024 that's way too long. That's why now I'm even considering a second-hand ST so would love to know about your time with ST. Also, what is an ideal price for one, considering 2016/2018?
nidhinpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 16:06   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinpr View Post
Hello, Shabih.
Congratulations, good to know you finally got your desired bike after much struggle and effort. If you don't might I would like to know your experience with ST until now, ride quality, servicing/cost cause even though I'm looking forward to a classic bike like 650Twins/ upcoming 650shotgun or 650 Classic.
Hi Nidhinpr, sorry I somehow missed responding to this post. It's been 12 months and 8000 km of ownership. Here are my observations

1. Excellent riding manners, very docile but aggressive at the same time. It cruises along at sedate speeds giving you time to enjoy your ride but if the hooligan in you wakes up, you roll the throttle and the smooth engine wakes up with a grunt, obliterating every other vehicle around you. What a feeling to ride a sleeper bike! Ride by wire on this bike is excellent.

2. The seat height is very good. I am 5,8 and can easily flatfoot on both sides. Weight is placed down low so moving the bike front and back is no problem at all

3. Considering it is a 900cc bike, heat isn't unbearable, largely due to the engine being relatively under-stressed.

4. Suspension is a total letdown and you will have to find a way to fix it. I found the front and rear suspension to be extremely soft translating into unwanted dives on braking and acceleration.

5. Power delivery is very direct. Your inputs will give you a very good feel of the road and you will always be in control of the machine, it never feels overpowering.

Now here's the latest - Past 3 months my bike has developed a weird problem of not starting when I turn the ignition on. You need to turn the key a few times for the fuel pump to come alive. I took it to Triumph and they diagnosed that the Engine Immobiliser is not recognising my keys, thus as a safety feature it is not allowing the fuel pump to activate. The solution is to change the entire lockset which is both very expensive and will take a minimum of 45 days as they do not have parts available. Now I looked up online and found that it is a known issue caused due to Triumph's tightly wound wiring arrangement on the bike which leads to the shorting of Immobiliser antenna wire. I went on a ride to Pushkar from Delhi last weekend and was stranded in Jaipur where the bike refused to start despite more than 100 times turning the key. Triumph Jaipur service center also diagnosed it to find the same problem and suggested the same solution. I am yet to make up my mind on whether to replace the lockset which is going to hit my pocket hard or find a workaround. I felt disappointed by Triumph though because it is a design flaw causing the safety mechanism to kick in and stop the bike from starting. Shouldn't they fix it on their own accord? The mechanics told me electronics can go kaput on it's own and hence they can not do anything about it. For such a beautiful bike, this is certainly a sore point.
shabih is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks