Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 11:27   #16
BHPian

re: Ducati Scrambler vs Triumph Street Twin vs Interceptor 650. EDIT: Bought the Triumph Trident 660

If this is going to be your last hurrah as a biker I would say stretch the budget and get something that will set your heart aflutter.

I am well passed my prime and I wanted a bike to last me for another 10 years or so till I touch 50 and my thirst for fast riding will have gone and I might get something slower and mellower once I reach that age.

I looked hard at the Dominar 400 and while its a fine bike in its own right it just simply didn't make me go all gaga after a test ride. The Interceptor 650 test ride was a lot better. Loved the engine to bits. But the rest of the bike just didn't make me happy. The test bike was barely a year old but it looked more than 2 years old with many parts rusting, the wires looked bad and the general fit and finish just didn't seem great. It's a good bike to get if you want great performance on a budget. It's VFM factor is simply unbeatable.

However when you are buying once I would suggest getting something that you won't regret buying so soon. Whether its the Street Twin or Scrambler that I unfortunately can't suggest which one as I haven't ridden either of them. My wife's cousin owns a Street Twin and even though its over 2 years old and he hardly rides it the build quality and fit and finish seems much better than the RE Interceptor.
bf1983 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 14:15   #17
BHPian

re: Ducati Scrambler vs Triumph Street Twin vs Interceptor 650. EDIT: Bought the Triumph Trident 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
Mods. I searched the threads for a similar discussion and wasn't able to find anything definitively. Please merge, if you have one. Thanks!

I have a RE Continental GT 535 and I'm looking to upgrade. This will be my one and only upgrade before the finality of the electric bikes flood the market. So, it must satisfy the following criteria:
  1. Value for money - in this case, style over substance is fine but the substance must be substantial. I don't want to own a beautiful looking motorcycle, but cringe on hard seats and stiff suspension while riding
  2. I'd like to do long rides, but not exceeding 400kms a day. That 400kms shouldn't be tiresome. (I'll do long 'solo' rides only, so not looking for pillion comfort on highways). I can't do more than 200kms on my GT535 before massaging my shoulders. Strangely, I've never got a back pain on this bike.
  3. Reliability should be high. I'm coming from an old RE with a hit or miss reliability, though my old bullet std 350 never spent a day in the service centers apart from regular service. Can't say the same with GT535
  4. I know I'm getting into the superbike zone, and I'm not expecting cheap spare parts. But, the spare parts shouldn't be obscenely expensive
  5. Service costs - I spend 3k every 6 months for the 535. I wouldn't mind spending 10k a year for the superbike. Anything more than this, I may have to think hard
So guys, point me in the right direction. I really loved the Ducati Scrambler. I loved the Triumph Street Twin too, but my mind always compares that with the RE 650 and the price point (what am I getting for the extra 6.5 lacs), and things like that.

I'm going to keep this motorcycle for a very long time - that is, as long I'm physically fit to ride So, appreciate your suggestions and pointers. And do point out if I'm being sensible with my requirements.

Thank you!
If I remember correctly the scrambler comes to close to 10 on road. And if you want to spend 10k on maintaining it yearly don't rhink of a ducati. It also needs a 30k kms service which is crazy expensive. One more thing the scramblers headlight is pathetic. Also spares are expensive. The triumph is a very potent machine but then again won't feel much different in size or weight compared to the conti. If you are putting down 10 big ones go a bit higher get a ninja 1000 or a z900 both of which are reliable and spares are easier and cheaper. Also u can think of a ninja 650. All these are comfortable machines meant for touring. If you go the pre used route you will get very good ninja 650s for around half the price of a new one.
HYPERTOURER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 14:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

If you are buying your last bike (as of today ) go with your heart with whatever it may be. If it’s a 15-20 year horizon that you are looking at, going with your head choice will surely make you unhappy.

You will eventually come to regret not buying the bike which tugged at your heart strings every time (well, more often than not) you look at or ride the head purchase.

All the best with whatever you choose.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 15:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe the Interceptor should have been built bigger! The Triumph, it's just beautiful. I've seen them side by side during one of the rides (I wasn't a part of, but same tea shop stop ) The Triumph tugs your heart. No feelings by looking at the interceptor, though the GT does to some extent.
Although I have nothing to contribute here, I couldn't help myself by not responding to this. I own an Interceptor 650 and I dream of buying the Triumph twins or the Z900rs, but then if wishes were horses - beggars would ride I agree 100% to the above portion of the comment, the Triumph tugs to the heart. If I am driving down the road and spot a street twin, I do slow down (or speed up), admire it from every angle till the rider disappears. Interceptor on the other hand, however capable, leaves a lot to be desired. I understand the accolades it's earned because of what it delivers at that price, and perhaps that's what makes them sell so well.

On the flip side, I am making small meaningful changes to my bike every day and these changes make it truly an extention of my personality without burning a hole through my wallet. That I feel is the true blessing of this motorcycle otherwise the Triumphs win the heart every single time.

Last edited by shabih : 18th August 2021 at 15:43.
shabih is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 16:46   #20
BHPian

My suggestion to you will be to go the pre owned route. For that I recommend, either the air cooled T100 or the Bonneville A3. Out of the two, the A3 handles much better and sharper owing to it's 17 inch alloy wheels. Even though the T100 is a looker, for me it's biggest drawback is the tubed spokes and the 18 inch front wheel, but there are aftermarket solutions for that and lots of people in the India Bonneville Group swear by them.

You will find many people having toured the world on air cooled Bonnevilles and one of the biggest reason for that is the lack of electronics, they're easy to fix and seldom breakdown. Even the Street Twin comes with it's shares of electronic gremlins (earlier generations more so compared to the current). I hear horror stories about the Triumph service centre in Bangalore but there are quite a few garages that could help you maintain the bike and keep costs under 10K. The biggest expense I foresee are tyres, if you go with the A3, the 17 inch wheels make it a relatively easier process.

The biggest and the only major drawback on Bonneviile is the lack of ABS. If that is something you are able to live with, I highly recommend the air cooled pre 2016 Bonneville.

I own a Bonneville A3 and I know that this would be the bike I'll still hold on to even after I decide to sell all my other bikes. There's something charming about the original Bonneville that a Royal Enfield 650 will never be able to match. Yes. You would not get the "buying a new bike" feeling and the Bonneville will be more expensive than the Interceptor in every aspect but every time you ride the bike, you will feel special.
DrGonzo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 17:26   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Personally, the Scrambler is drool worthy bike but it ends there. The dreaded Desmo service at every 30K kms will set you back by 50-60K easily.

Why not try and see if you can get a well maintained used Street Twin.

I understand that you are looking for an upright riding position in your bike and want to hold on to one for a lot many years. If you can afford one, please do consider the CB650R as well.
I generally do maintain my motorcycles quite well, and I'm sure the RE will hold up. If that's the case then the Street Twin will hold up even better by a mile. So, currently evaluating used Street Twin options as well -- probably one with warranty left. The CBR and other similar ones like the Kawasaki's look like a race bike, and I'm well past that age. Looking for something neutral, yet characterful when on saddle. Ruling out the Ducati as many have mentioned the 'dreaded Desmo' service. The Italians are always this quirky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
They sure do. Its the closest to our Enfields in terms of character. Build quality is poles apart. Honestly; there is no comparison.
There you said it! Btw, I also saw your recent travelogue post. Enjoy your INT 650 and ride safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
If this is going to be your last hurrah as a biker I would say stretch the budget and get something that will set your heart aflutter.

Loved the engine to bits. But the rest of the bike just didn't make me happy. The test bike was barely a year old but it looked more than 2 years old with many parts rusting, the wires looked bad ...

My wife's cousin owns a Street Twin and even though its over 2 years old and he hardly rides it the build quality and fit and finish seems much better than the RE Interceptor.
My last hurrah as an Internal Combustion engine biker Like I said, some time in the future, I will consider electric bikes only if they can also hover like in the Mandalorian. Until then, hope I find a good used Triumph. Though I can spend 10lacs I still can't justify the prices and taxes and other charges. If someone can convince me here (I doubt), I will happily go to the Triumph showroom right away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
Interceptor on the other hand, however capable, leaves a lot to be desired.
There, you nailed it. I test rode the INT/Conti 650 several times over the last year or so, and I've always felt something was missing. You rightly said -- leaves a lot to be desired. I wish the motorcycle looked a bit bolder/bulkier (I still love the silhouette of my old STD 350), with clean flowing lines and curves. The engine is the best part and they've done a stellar job there!
gigatech2006 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 17:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
My suggestion to you will be to go the pre owned route. For that I recommend, either the air cooled T100 or the Bonneville A3. The biggest and the only major drawback on Bonneviile is the lack of ABS. If that is something you are able to live with, I highly recommend the air cooled pre 2016 Bonneville.
So, if you can guide me here please -- I seeing a used 2014 Bonneville A3 that has done 24k kms and a 2019 Street Twin that has done 35k kms (still has warranty left, and the owner says I can extend it if required) this weekend. Both look well maintained in the pics and have service history records. The A3 asking price is close to 4 lacs (2nd owner) and the Street Twin asking close to 6 lacs (but with warranty). Which one do you think will be a good one to consider?
Old 18th August 2021, 18:46   #23
BHPian

Interceptor 650 is value for money motorcycle, you can upgrade it with top quality aftermarket parts and the overall cost will not go beyond the on-road price for the Ducati Scrambler or Street Twin no matter what you do. But from my personal experience, I have seen at least half a dozen Interceptor owners regret on not buying a motorcycle from Triumph Classic range instead of Interceptor.

I haven't been on a Ducati scrambler but one thing I can assure you is Triumph Bonneville range especially Street Twin and Street Scrambler is super nimble when comparing to Interceptor. If you are going for Triumph then I would highly recommend you look at Street Scrambler instead of Street Twin, seating position in Street Scrambler is far relaxed than Street Twin for long rides. The only downside is the high mounted exhaust which may feel irritating sometimes, and the lack of luggage options for the right side due to the high mounted exhaust.

And I would also look at used Triumph's or Ducati rather than getting a new one, most of the used superbikes in our market hardly do less than 10k KM. Most of them might not have been bed in properly also, in case of Triumph classics, the gear shifts gets smoother after 5-6K KM and most of the people would have sold them by that time.
GT145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 19:11   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'd like to do long rides, but not exceeding 400kms a day. That 400kms shouldn't be tiresome.
I drove the scrambler briefly and was not impressed, especially at low speed. It's gets too hot in city riding and at lower RPM's the engine is very raw.

Have you checked the new Trident? One guy in our local group (also bhpian), who also owns a 850GS & some other bikes from Harley recently got this and is impressed. Though he is now selling, due to certain other reasons.

Check this video

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th August 2021 at 19:21.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:11   #25
BHPian

You say it's your last motorcycle but it may not be. The heart wants what it wants and IC motorcycles aren't going anywhere for a while. If money is a concern (and when is it not), get an RE. With the cash left over, you can tweak it to your heart's desire. And in the end you'll have a "built, not bought" bike, which is something to be proud of. There's nothing all that special about a stock Triumph or Ducati, in my opinion. They're comparatively rarer on our streets but in the end they are, just like the RE's, ordinary, mass manufactured motorcycles. YMMV.
karanddd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 21:09   #26
BHPian

Quote:
So, if you can guide me here please -- I seeing a used 2014 Bonneville A3 that has done 24k kms and a 2019 Street Twin that has done 35k kms (still has warranty left, and the owner says I can extend it if required) this weekend. Both look well maintained in the pics and have service history records. The A3 asking price is close to 4 lacs (2nd owner) and the Street Twin asking close to 6 lacs (but with warranty). Which one do you think will be a good one to consider?
Test ride both and see which sings to you. They are two different bikes only sharing a name.

The street twin comes with ABS, TC and riding modes and would be slightly more forgiving towards the rider while the A3 is as old school as it comes.

I personally would go for the A3. I think there will be room for negotiation. It should leave you with some spare cash for a good service, set of tyres and brake pads.

The 2019 Street Twin did have a harness issue and even though there was a recall, the bike has had recurring electric troubles. So in that regard, if you intend to go for the Street Twin, I absolutely recommend the extended warranty.
DrGonzo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 22:33   #27
BHPian

I'm saying if this is your last IC bike, why are you bothering about the costs associated with the maintainece? We scrambler owners love our scramblers, I'm sure the street twin owners do to.

Test ride them and see which one tugs at your heart stings the most. Trust me, this isn't a value discussion anyways. Go with your heart... you wont regret it.

Ps: The Scrambler has a significant performance advantage over the other two. Power and weight both.
redeff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 10:45   #28
BHPian

Since you already own an RE, most of the things are sorted if you are considering the RE 650! You are very well aware of the service, quality, and availability of parts. The twin rumbles quite good and at that price point you really can't ask for more.

However, consider the Triumph Street Twin if you can afford the bike, I know your mind is comparing it with the RE650, but trust me it's a whole lot of a different experience. I would stay away from Ducati's because they are still maturing in the Indian market compared to Triumph (not from motorcycles perspective but more from after-sales and parts perspective).

In addition, since you are travelling solo and wish to do around 400kms, why not consider the Honda CB500X, I know it's expensive but will be an upgrade to power, comfort, and experience to your current steed (all from a touring perspective).
EshanS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 13:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
I'm saying if this is your last IC bike, why are you bothering about the costs associated with the maintainece? We scrambler owners love our scramblers, I'm sure the street twin owners do to.

Test ride them and see which one tugs at your heart stings the most. Trust me, this isn't a value discussion anyways. Go with your heart... you wont regret it.

Ps: The Scrambler has a significant performance advantage over the other two. Power and weight both.
Would be really helpful if you could put up an ownership review of your scrambler for prospective buyers as well as enthusiasts There seems to be only one owner review of the scrambler on this forum as of now.
Juggernaught is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 17:15   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Mods. I searched the threads for a similar discussion and wasn't able to find anything definitively. Please merge, if you have one. Thanks!

I have a RE Continental GT 535 and I'm looking to upgrade. This will be my one and only upgrade before the finality of the electric bikes flood the market. So, it must satisfy the following criteria:
  1. Value for money - in this case, style over substance is fine but the substance must be substantial. I don't want to own a beautiful looking motorcycle, but cringe on hard seats and stiff suspension while riding
  2. I'd like to do long rides, but not exceeding 400kms a day. That 400kms shouldn't be tiresome. (I'll do long 'solo' rides only, so not looking for pillion comfort on highways). I can't do more than 200kms on my GT535 before massaging my shoulders. Strangely, I've never got a back pain on this bike.
  3. Reliability should be high. I'm coming from an old RE with a hit or miss reliability, though my old bullet std 350 never spent a day in the service centers apart from regular service. Can't say the same with GT535
  4. I know I'm getting into the superbike zone, and I'm not expecting cheap spare parts. But, the spare parts shouldn't be obscenely expensive
  5. Service costs - I spend 3k every 6 months for the 535. I wouldn't mind spending 10k a year for the superbike. Anything more than this, I may have to think hard
So guys, point me in the right direction. I really loved the Ducati Scrambler. I loved the Triumph Street Twin too, but my mind always compares that with the RE 650 and the price point (what am I getting for the extra 6.5 lacs), and things like that.

I'm going to keep this motorcycle for a very long time - that is, as long I'm physically fit to ride So, appreciate your suggestions and pointers. And do point out if I'm being sensible with my requirements.

Thank you!
Superbikes are a different animal. You can't extrapolate costs from a commuter bike upwards. Similar to how a badge car will always cost much much more to insure, maintain and service when compared to an expensive car from a 'non premium' brand.

Typical bike tyres costs about 15/20 k and last about 10/12000 kms. Each service costs atleast 10/15k and to maintain warranty you got to respect the short service intervals. You should be happy getting 12/15 kmpl @105 Rs/liter, if ridden economically then may be you can stretch it to 20kmpl. Filters need cleaning, chain needs lubing etc etc
Then you get sucked into the 'i wanna mod' phase when you wet dream of 50k exhausts or 1lakh power commanders and what not.

In a nutshell if you plan to buy a 10 lakh superbike and keep for 10 years, factor about 8/10 lakh extra for all the extras mentioned above during the lifespan. Happy biking!
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks