Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2021, 00:53   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project

Extremely well-written and all the necessary intricate details included such that even a non-biker can become a fan! I am not a big motorcycle fan, but this write-up about the bike got me hooked on to it, in the first glance itself and read the entire thing in one go! Kudos to you

Sad to see the previous owners resort to such poor maintenance after spending 60L on it, but then they must have another 60L for another such bike, so the next owner who buys it off is going to see hell. Great that you were able to go deep into the bike and find the root cause and save it from being dead.

Regarding what others feel abroad and in WA groups is meaningless, they won’t even spend 1% of sweat, blood and effort in doing such a mighty job! You have made the bike now, get on the road, and let the Bike speak for itself. They will all be shell-shocked seeing the end result

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 25th September 2021 at 00:55.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 01:12   #62
BHPian

Re: How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project

Hats Off !!! Motorcycles are a man's first toys so it's a deeply emotional affair. I don't ride a bike nowadays but your post reminds me of my biking days.
Eagerly waiting for your riding updates with snaps and YT Videos.
God bless the Bikers !!!
HooghlyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 01:13   #63
BHPian

WOW!! I had to spend time to think of a response worthy of this thread!!

First of all, I will say Helmets off to your commitment and perseverance to completely see this project through!! Taking up such a project is a bold risk, but you have done it an absolute justice.

This thread truly made my day. It is a great inspiration for 'Where there is a will, there is way'. All it needs is hard work and perseverance.

This thread couldn't have come at a better time. I really needed this motivation for 1 of my friend's bike. I have taken your number from @Rohan bhai and I might reach out to you for help for that bike.

Congratulations on this lovely acquisitions and I truly hope and pray that all the effort you have put in it, bears fruit by putting as many big smiles on your face.

I really want to see this bike in person and since winters are coming, we should plan to ride together soon.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 05:53   #64

I don't know about WA groups, but I've seen some manky bikes, and as you rightly said, this entire build project is a testament to the ducati build quality. My issue with ducati will always continue to be the insanity heating issues, but for the brave, there are fixes like radiator hoses+samco, engine Ice, heat shield kit etc and proper riding gear that would be enough of a fix because them Italians know how to get your blood pumping.

I am VERY interested in your future venture if it involves Italian bikes because, man, I only want to buy bikes from a guy I know is as OCD and nuts about maintenance as I'd like to be (but lack the know how and the energy). Delhi SBK dealers have a well earned poor reputation and seem to satisfy all the "used car salesman" clichés. But I'm hoping your passion and commitment to fostering and loving these beauties and finding them a loving home would actually make the entire used bike buying experience more of a love affair than a horror story.

Kudos, man. Massive massive respect to such a monumental build. I hope you have all the smiles in the world with her, and despite all your reservations, that you do end up on track and get your mind blown by what that insane v twin is capable of.
greyanaroth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 09:40   #65
BHPian

You made my Day, I have stopped everything I was doing, to complete reading your full post. Your narration kept me captivated. It has all the ingredients of suspense / thriller movie. I was at the edge of my seat when you mentioned, "At the 40 km mark, we noticed coolant mixing with engine oil. Argh!!!!!!! A massive setback, panic attack, and a mystery to crack" I could feel the pain myself, II can only Imagine what went thru you and Head technician after hours of hardship.

All is well that ends well. As a Motorbike enthusiast myself, I love the whole restoration process. it give immense pride and satisfaction with a lot of tech gyaan. I wish you many miles & smiles with the beast. The bike definitely chose you!
Plymouth_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 11:02   #66
Team-BHP Support

Re-read this whole build post/s again peacefully last night and it amazes me what complete tools end up owning some of these Superbikes. Poseurs with money who want the Revv the life out of their rides and do track days whether or not trained to do so but really are not worth calling motorcyclists / riders / even enthusiasts by any stretch.

I guess the first owner might have been unlucky in the error the technician made in changing the part from a regular model and not R. Just shows if you’re going to buy a super exotic you definitely need to know how you’re going to maintain it.

The paint jugaad the second owner did - what can I say - I have no words to describe this.

At the end of the day, the magical silver lining is that this exotic found its way to an owner who’ll treat it right with the right knowledge, resources and patience to get the best from its residuary life.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 11:49   #67
BHPian

That was a pleasure to read.
Kudos to keeping at it despite the hurdles.

Gives my more motivation to do the same with my car build that's been dwindling over the past couple of years.

Over time, I really hope you change your mind and take it to a track.
mjk24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 13:29   #68
BHPian

Incredible read. Thank you for putting it down in so much detail.

Having struggled through maintaining my bikes through various techs, service centers etc, I can relate to every obstacle you have described here.

I wish you and the 1199R some fantastic riding days ahead.
Rossiter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 15:30   #69
BHPian

I dont know what to say.

All I can do is thank the man up there for exposing me to a post such as this. This is the gem of the internet.

OP, I salute your effort. This is one of the most inspiring stories I've read.
nutcracker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 15:56   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
@vignesh - I would love to take this bike to the track. But deep in my heart, I do not want to. The bike suffered a lot and I need some time before I feel confident to take it on a track. Regarding the metal gears - it's a must if I extensively track the bike. In this case, as I decided not to track, I didn't consider the option. I am aware of the German company and had looked it up.
Totally understand and respect your call. I would still encourage you to keep it open because she's just made to be ridden and enjoyed at pace. With regards to the water pump idle gear, I would suggest to replace the plastic one irrespective as you don't know when the OE stuff would dissolve itself into the engine oil with the high ambient temperatures we have.
vignesh.cv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 17:38   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
The paint jugaad the second owner did - what can I say - I have no words to describe this.
@Axe, this was gut wrenching to me. In the entire build process, if there was a moment, where I stood and cursed the living daylights and completely lost my plot and my sanity, it was this point when we found this jugaad. I still do not understand why someone can be such an imbecile. But yes, I agree that some people, even if they have money, do not have the mentality to handle or own such bikes.

I am glad you enjoyed the thread and re-read it. I would love to meet with you, the next time you are in Delhi.
no_fear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 18:26   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
Totally understand and respect your call. I would still encourage you to keep it open because she's just made to be ridden and enjoyed at pace. With regards to the water pump idle gear, I would suggest to replace the plastic one irrespective as you don't know when the OE stuff would dissolve itself into the engine oil with the high ambient temperatures we have.
@Vignesh, thank you brother. Let me elaborate a little bit on my hesitancy at this point. The issue I had is the complete lack of transparency from the previous owners when I bought the bike. If they were upfront about the exact issues, it would have been a quick fix. But we had to re-start from the very beginning. That means I have to take baby steps until I am fully confident that I can let rip the bike on the track and do not have to worry about parts breaking or another engine rebuild (God forbid). Concurrently, I just want to enjoy riding the bike now. It has not been ridden properly at all. To me, as another forum member mentioned, the 1199R is an abused pet that has a chance to a second life. I want it to live a bit gently and grow before its ready to take its mantle in its natural environment. Once I am satisfied with my build, then I will do some major updates and change the plastic gears.

Very off topic, but along with my rebuild series, I bought a Isuzu VCross to transport my bikes and also to use in my new endeavor. I had shared my purchase on the MV F4 thread. The bike front wheel stands were imported from Thailand, while the ramp was built locally. I added a bull bar on the front, an additional roof rack to secure the ramp on top, roll bar for stability, roof lights so that I can load and unload bikes in the evening / night, and a tool box.

I planned out the design to load two bikes with enough spacing. The VCrosses I have seen can only haul one motorbike. I believe mine is the only one in India with this unique setup. I am quite excited with the work done, so I posted some pics of the completed work while the Isuzu was at the garage. I hope you enjoy as team-BHP is foremost an automotive forum and there are more car lovers than bike lovers. I will post better pictures once I have a bit of free time.

Rear wheel bed guard

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-isuzu-1.jpeg

Bike front wheel stand and holder

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-isuzu-2.jpeg

Isuzu bed, roll bar and roof lights

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-isuzu-3.jpeg

Roof rack

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-isuzu-4.jpeg

Motorcycle ramp

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-isuzu-5.jpeg

And the bike rolls up

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-isuzu-7.jpg

Ready to run - the ramp is folded and secured on the roof rack

How I saved India’s only Ducati 1199R | An unlikely find, revival and restoration project-isuzu-9.jpg

Last edited by no_fear : 25th September 2021 at 18:36.
no_fear is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 18:55   #73
BHPian

What a read!! I was hooked onto my screen for a good half hour, trying to understand the intricacies of the Ducati engines, and even more so on the sheer dedication you had to get this bike up and running. Having contacts in a lot of places definitely went in your favor on this build.

I envy you, as your garage now has one of the most rare and desirable motorcycles in our country. Wish you safe miles on all your rides ahead!

Cheers,
TheDarkKnight
TheDarkKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 19:20   #74
Senior - BHPian

Looks neat. Just one concern presuming you would be riding the bikes up the ramp or even pushing it up, do you feel the gap is a little too much and could create traction/grip issues for the tyres also might get your foot stuck in the gap accidentally while trying to flat foot? Or does it look too wide in the pictures?

Last edited by SnS_12 : 25th September 2021 at 19:23.
SnS_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 19:38   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
do you feel the gap is a little too much and could create traction/grip issues for the tyres also might get your foot stuck in the gap accidentally while trying to flat foot? Or does it look too wide in the pictures?
Hey Sachin, no the gap is actually smaller. It looks wide due to the camera angle and also the ramp angle.

I had initially wanted to install an electric winch to pull the bike up, but it would only accommodate one bike and not 2. Hence went the manual way. Don't think my foot will get caught unless I am being careless or inattentive.
no_fear is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks