Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2021, 11:07   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2021 Triumph Speed Twin teased, global unveil on June 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Yes, definitely an overkill and if one plans to put in many kms right from day one then they are looking at tyre expense sooner than later.

But on a positive side one can thank Triumph for offering best rubber straight from factory so the user can determine for his usage pattern and riding style what balance one should workout between grip and longevity.

Also, it tells a lot about the positioning of the bike defending on the tyre offered from factory in this model looks like Triumph wants its riders to carry the SPEED even in tight corners.
You are completely right about owners getting some of the best tires straight off the showroom floors. It just seems to be a mismatch to what the bike is supposed to do.

If I wanted a performance 1000cc + motorcycle from Triumph, the Speed Triple RS already exists in the lineup. And if I want a classic 1000cc + motorcycle from Triumph, there is the T120. The Speed Twin was a perfect bridge between the two but now its positioning is more towards the Speed Triple RS and is a bit muddled.

Ideally, they should have thrown on more appropriate (read less expensive) tires and brakes and kept the price the same as the outgoing model.

The Metzeler Racetec RR comes in the K1, K2 or K3 variants. As per the Metzeler website, K1 = Soft, K2 = Medium, K3 = Hard.

The Speed Triple RS gets the Metzeler Racetec RR K3 tires. I couldnt find a mention of whether the Speed Twin gets the K1, K2 or K3, I suspect its the K3 (need to watch all the videos). So probably some economies of scale in play that dictated the unusual tire choice.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 12:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

Ideally, they should have thrown on more appropriate (read less expensive) tires and brakes and kept the price the same as the outgoing model.
Triumph wanted to better the riding experience from the existing model and hence, the upside down forks instead of standard with bigger 320mm disc instead of 305mm disc with radially mounted calipers instead of standard all this better hardware and the other tweaks come at an additional price of 300 pounds over the outgoing model in the UK, which is a steal for the value added to the product.

So looks like a win win deal for the end customer looking for a good powerful modern classic.
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 22:02   #18
BHPian

Alright I have beeen waiting for this one for a while! So was quite excited for the unveil. Overall sounds like a great package. A mix of interesting and perplexing choices as well to be honest. But apart from the things pointed out in the posts earlier, I find the design choices to be complete mysteries. 1. Got rid of the fantastic looking black pipes with outward curved chrome end caps. The end caps are now black plastic!? Atleast a (fake?) carbon fibre look would have been acceptable. 2. Paint schemes! even street twins get better colour options. Heck even RE Interceptor is kicking ass several levels above here. Korosi red with black was a classic. Its been replaced with red with grey!? My eyes hurt
mpulztrack3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 10:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpulztrack3r View Post
Paint schemes! even street twins get better colour options. Heck even RE Interceptor is kicking ass several levels above here. Korosi red with black was a classic. Its been replaced with red with grey!? My eyes hurt
Yes I completely agree. The bike has been improved in every way but they downgraded the aesthetics. I can't believe they changed the paint schemes to look so drab considering how phenomenal the original paint schemes were.

What a tragedy!
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Triumph Speed Twin teased, global unveil on June 1-speedtwin.jpg  

imranstael is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 14:41   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Just after a few days of global unveil the New Triumph Speed Twin is now listed on Indian website.

2021 Triumph Speed Twin teased, global unveil on June 1-smartselect_20210604143801_chrome.jpg

The new Speed Twin will be sold in the Indian market in a single variant and three colour options including Jet Black, Red Hopper, and Matte Storm Grey.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 4th June 2021 at 14:51.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 04:38   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
Yes I completely agree. The bike has been improved in every way but they downgraded the aesthetics. I can't believe they changed the paint schemes to look so drab considering how phenomenal the original paint schemes were.

What a tragedy!
Spot on! The original color scheme was just perfect for this pocket rocket.
One thing though they keep mentioning LED DRL up front with led indicators and tail lamp. Why have they chosen to keep a noral headlamp unit? It would not have cost them more to make a full LED setup and up the style quotient further. If a trident can get an all LED setup, then this should have as well.
Old 8th June 2021, 16:57   #22
BHPian

I have pre-booked a jet black speed twin by paying 50K. The salesman said the expected launch date is Aug/Sep but I think it will be sooner. The entire amount is refundable (have it as proof with my conversations with him). He mentioned that he had about 7-8 bookings already. I am 6'1" and hope the bike isn't too small for me. I will check the bike out once it is launched here. I was torn between this and the Versys 1100, but the triumph won due to the fact that it had a nostalgia factor (my dad owned one in 1960s) and I don't intend to tour a lot. Will mostly be for weekend rides.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 17:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I have pre-booked a jet black speed twin by paying 50K. The salesman said the expected launch date is Aug/Sep but I think it will be sooner. The entire amount is refundable (have it as proof with my conversations with him). He mentioned that he had about 7-8 bookings already. I am 6'1" and hope the bike isn't too small for me. I will check the bike out once it is launched here. I was torn between this and the Versys 1100, but the triumph won due to the fact that it had a nostalgia factor (my dad owned one in 1960s) and I don't intend to tour a lot. Will mostly be for weekend rides.
Congrats! I have been considering it too. In my heart I'm still waiting for a used one weirdly
2 questions:
- What are the benefits of pre-booking here? (vs. booking after the launch date is announced)
- Do you mean refundable if the customer decides to cancel the booking?
Old 8th June 2021, 20:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpulztrack3r View Post
Congrats! I have been considering it too. In my heart I'm still waiting for a used one weirdly
2 questions:
- What are the benefits of pre-booking here? (vs. booking after the launch date is announced)
- Do you mean refundable if the customer decides to cancel the booking?
Pre-booking, according to the salesman will give me priority, assuming there is demand for the bike. Initially he asked me for 1L but I told him that 50K is what I can pre-book at and also read online that most dealers are accepting the same amount. And yes, it is fully refundable if I don't like the bike.
BTW, he mentioned 14L as the OTR price for the bike which I think, if true, is overpriced by atleast a lakh.

Last edited by shivasuma : 8th June 2021 at 20:24.
shivasuma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 20:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have pre-booked a jet black speed twin by paying 50K. The salesman said the expected launch date is Aug/Sep but I think it will be sooner. The entire amount is refundable (have it as proof with my conversations with him.
Congratulations on your booking Shivasuma! She’s a real classy looker, hope she suits you. Already looking forward to your impressions and hopefully an ownership thread

I would say take the fully refundable 50 thousand rupee pre-booking amount terms in writing (if you haven’t, since you say “in your conversation”) as lots can happen between now and then. The sales person could leave his job or change his stance and you would have an unnecessary headache on your hands if you want to cancel for whatsoever reason. If he has agreed to it, there should be no reason for not giving it in writing.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 8th June 2021 at 20:35.
Cyborg is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 20:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Congratulations on your booking Shivasuma! She’s a real classy looker, hope she suits you. Already looking forward to your impressions and hopefully an ownership thread

I would say take the fully refundable 50 thousand rupee pre-booking amount terms in writing (if you haven’t, since you say “in your conversation”) as lots can happen between now and then. The sales person could leave his job or change his stance and you would have an unnecessary headache on your hands if you want to cancel for whatsoever reason. If he has agreed to it, there should be no reason for not giving it in writing.

Cheers
Thanks Cyborg. I have all my conversations with the salesman on Whatsapp (due to lockdown). It's the Keerthi Triumph business number. I guess that should be enough proof. I am torn between the Versys 1100 and Speed Twin(as I mentioned earlier this might win due to nostalgia) and will have a test ride of both and decide. BTW, the salesman has agreed to let go of the handling charges which anyway was illegal, but they do come up with innovative ways to justify it!

Last edited by shivasuma : 16th June 2021 at 20:21.
shivasuma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 20:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
It's the Keerthi Triumph business number.
I would suggest you get the commitment in writing. Keerthi Triumph has enough horror stories on this forum and from buyers. They are quite well known for turning back on their words.

If the salesman has agreed to waive the handling charges, get it written on letterhead from Keerthi dealership. Do not trust whatsapp messages. I have been down this road with another dealership and suffered in the past.
no_fear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 14:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Cyborg. I have all my conversations with the salesman on Whatsapp (due to lockdown). It's the Keerthi Triumph business number. I guess that should be enough proof. I am torn between the Versys 1100 and Speed Twin(as I mentioned earlier this might win due to nostalgia) and will have a test ride of both and decide. BTW, the salesman has agreed to let go of the handling charges which anyway was illegal, but they do come up with innovative ways to justify it!
I would still suggest getting everything (refund and waiver of handling charges) in writing on their official letterhead. There maybe some grey area due to What’s App but no company on earth will ever try to deny or contest something which appears on their official letterhead. I would politely approach them and get the letter in my possession.

In the bike universe your choices would be like chalk and cheese. I would suggest take test rides of both one after the other on the same day and repeat the sequence after a week. Think about how you felt with them, share your thoughts/feelings on the bikes with us (we live for such discussions) and don’t be hasty with your decision.

Cheers and all the best.

Last edited by Cyborg : 17th June 2021 at 14:41.
Cyborg is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 14:25   #29
BHPian

Heard from the sales guy that bikes will be landing in India next month and launch/reveal will happen in August sometime on Triumph India twitter and instagram pages.
Old 10th August 2021, 11:50   #30
BHPian

Folks who have booked - have you heard from Triumph lately? Any updates on when the Speed Twin is landing in India?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks