Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2021, 11:51   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

A fellow TBHPian mentioned that he knows someone in Bangalore who owns a Speed Twin and might be planning on selling it. So maybe your thread has unlocked a few hidden doors I will let you know if that bike comes up for sale.
That would be super! Thanks a ton, Neil! I really appreciate you pulling out the data here in this thread

I'm new to TeamBhp and am totally enjoying all the chatter! You guys are awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfry View Post
That is an incredibly cool bike! Also, looks like the battle against ugly number plate positioning is on Love how you have the number plates as a sticker. Looks very tidy. Are the cops cool with it? Have you had any trouble?

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th April 2021 at 22:13. Reason: Mod note attached.
mpulztrack3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 13:24   #17
BHPian

re: Why wasn't the Triumph Speed Twin a success in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpulztrack3r View Post
That is an incredibly cool bike! Also, looks like the battle against ugly number plate positioning is on Love how you have the number plates as a sticker. Looks very tidy. Are the cops cool with it? Have you had any trouble?
Thank you!

The number plate is a self inflicted problem, let me explain.
The bike from the factory came with a front number plate holder like you'll see in the attached picture below. It didn't look very clean, but did the job.

However, things changed when I got the Dart Marlin flyscreen to take some wind off my abdomen on longer highway rides. The flyscreen attaches to the same exact spot that the front number plate holder used to, so when I had to choose, I prioritised the flyscreen.

The sticker ended up being the only solution, to avoid Challans. The cops are okay with it. Have been pulled over 2-3 times in the year that I've had the bike, but usually its because they can't see the front plate from a distance.

When they pull me over and I show them that this is the only option, they're usually cool with it. Small hassle, but it's something I'll live with.

Why wasn't the Triumph Speed Twin a success in India?-numebrplate.jpg
ballfry is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 09:54   #18
BHPian

Re: Why wasn't the Triumph Speed Twin a success in India?

My friend had bought a Speed Twin and wanted to sell it as he was going for Africa Twin. I helped him sell his Speed Twin. It was not at all difficult to sell the bike. In fact, even after the bike was sold, a lot of people kept on asking if the bike is available or if there is any other Speed Twin available. So my experience says that the bike is in heavy demand! Don't know why Triumph is not keen to put effort in launching the BS6 version here in India.

Why wasn't the Triumph Speed Twin a success in India?-img_e5721.jpg
anshumandun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 10:03   #19
BHPian

Speed Twin was not a flop by any margin. It was a great bike not only in spec but also the way it rode.

The market was not matured for this bike. Comparing this bike with street naked and tourers is not right.

Modern classics finds itself a niche and we have a very handful of people who appreciate this kind of offering.

Even amongst people who are big bike enthusiasts, typical tendency of people wanting a bigger / sportier looking bike exists in our market. And this bike doesn't look like million bucks.

People who buy for themselves always know what to buy and this bike has found homes amongst such matured buyers.
slamnos is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 15:05   #20
BHPian

While I was finalizing an upgrade in 2016, I did evaluate Street Twin. Test drove and really loved it. Ended up getting the Iron 883 due to the HOGs jazz. Objectively, found the Triumph to be a much better motorcycle vs the Harley

This year, after getting back from abroad and having sold off the Harley some time back, I simply test drove both the RE Twins and ended up getting the Interceptor

Although I haven't driven the Street Twin in some time, I do remember the feel of the bike, and honestly couldn't really find any significant differences between both bikes(RE & Triumph), except maybe power/torque, which was reasonable in RE(equivalent to HD Street 750 and just a couple of ps lower than my Iron). While the pricing was way way more competitive

I think for most of us, it will really boil down to the 'value'. We in India are lucky to get RE Twins at almost a third of the Triumph's price. In other places where the prices of both motorcycles are comparable, I believe it'd be a close call(Wouldn't really rule out the RE Twins)

Last edited by Bhatt : 28th April 2021 at 15:19.
Bhatt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 16:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatt View Post
While I was finalizing an upgrade in 2016, I did evaluate Street Twin. Test drove and really loved it. Ended up getting the Iron 883 due to the HOGs jazz. Objectively, found the Triumph to be a much better motorcycle vs the Harley

This year, after getting back from abroad and having sold off the Harley some time back, I simply test drove both the RE Twins and ended up getting the Interceptor

Although I haven't driven the Street Twin in some time, I do remember the feel of the bike, and honestly couldn't really find any significant differences between both bikes(RE & Triumph), except maybe power/torque, which was reasonable in RE(equivalent to HD Street 750 and just a couple of ps lower than my Iron). While the pricing was way way more competitive
This thread is about the Speed Twin, and not the Street Twin. I don't think the Speed Twin can be compared at all with the RE Twins. It's got the 1200cc Thruxton engine and completely blows the RE Twins out of the water, performance-wise.
imranstael is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 16:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
This thread is about the Speed Twin, and not the Street Twin. I don't think the Speed Twin can be compared at all with the RE Twins. It's got the 1200cc Thruxton engine and completely blows the RE Twins out of the water, performance-wise.
Agreed, but there is bound to be a significant overlap between both bikes(RE & speed twins) for someone looking to upgrade to higher performance. I agree this overlap will be much higher in case of Street Twin, but given the huge price gap, to a good extent with the Speed Twin as well. Simply saying the price gap is so huge that someone looking at a speed twin may as well settle for the RE at a quarter of the price. The same guy would probably not go for a Street Twin given the pricing gap between Speed & Street is relatively modest

2ndly, the relative sales performance of Speed Twin should be compared with that of earlier segment bestseller( in my mind it should be HD 48, similar pricing & capacity). I don't think 48 was setting any sales charts on fire. Single digit MoM sales is what it managed. Basis this, don't think Triumph is doing bad. But at 12 lacs OTR, doesn't really make much sense for a value concious buyer. He may simply opt for an inline 4 (Z900) at similar or maybe lower price

Again, I believe I am trying to voice an average Indian Enthusiast's view. Someone looking for Speed Twin will never be disappointed with the bike
Old 28th April 2021, 20:20   #23
BHPian

This was picked by me. My third Triumph after the 675R and a Tiger XRx.

Lets catch up for a ride sometime

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
My friend had bought a Speed Twin and wanted to sell it as he was going for Africa Twin. I helped him sell his Speed Twin. It was not at all difficult to sell the bike. In fact, even after the bike was sold, a lot of people kept on asking if the bike is available or if there is any other Speed Twin available. So my experience says that the bike is in heavy demand! Don't know why Triumph is not keen to put effort in launching the BS6 version here in India.

Attachment 2149844
Attached Thumbnails
Why wasn't the Triumph Speed Twin a success in India?-speedtwin.jpg  

SpinWizard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 23:55   #24
BHPian

The Triumph Speed Twin in my humble opinion is one of the greatest bikes Triumph has ever launched in India. I've been it's biggest fan.

It is the most stylish of Neo Retros with a Engine/Handling combination to die for.
And it still is probably the best looking Neo Retro Cafe Racer in the world. Add to that the raving reviews it got world over is icing on the cake.

I was so looking forward to get one. It was all the bike I ever needed.

Devastating to see Triumphs lazy effort of killing the Bike in India.

I seriously hope they get the Speedtwin back!
Old 29th April 2021, 09:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
I was one of the folks who enquired after you sold it! I recognize the bike and your name! Nice to meet you here
mpulztrack3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 09:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
I seriously hope they get the Speedtwin back!
I don't think that a Euro 5/BS 6 Speed Twin has been launched worldwide. This is why I think that the Speed Twin along with most other High Performance (HP) 1200's has been discontinued in India.

The T120, Speed master and Bobber uses a High Torque (HT) version of the same block which has been updated and is available in India.

The Thruxton RS however is Euro 5 certified, would love to know why they just haven't put that engine in the Speed Twin.
ballfry is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 12:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I was one of the folks who enquired after you sold it! I recognize the bike and your name! Nice to meet you here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWizard View Post
This was picked by me. My third Triumph after the 675R and a Tiger XRx.

Lets catch up for a ride sometime
It's indeed a small world for motorcyclists

Nice to see you guys here!
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 12:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

I simply love the Speed Twin, I've told this to whoever would care to listen that Triumph cracked the retro bike code with this one.
I simply adore the way the Speed Twin looks, its near perfection. I've joked about this in the past that if I ever get an Interceptor 650, I would try to make it look like a Speed Twin.

BTW, I have recently picked up a pre-loved Interceptor 650
Old 29th April 2021, 16:46   #29
BHPian

I have owned the Speed Twin for about a year and half now. It's a keeper. Flawless ownership experience so far. Knock on wood.

It's like a Street twin on steroids! Light and effortless to use in the city and rock solid on the highways. The HT engine is probably the best from Triumph yet among the retros.

Regarding the sales numbers I do recollect that when it was available they were getting sold out pretty much instantly; so their decision not to upgrade to BS6 did come as a surprise.

Few pics of my Speed Twin.
Attached Thumbnails
Why wasn't the Triumph Speed Twin a success in India?-whatsapp-image-20210429-4.45.03-pm.jpeg  

Why wasn't the Triumph Speed Twin a success in India?-whatsapp-image-20210429-4.48.06-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by motorotor : 29th April 2021 at 16:48.
motorotor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 16:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this GTM! How many Speed Twin owners are there here I wonder!? I haven't seen an ownership review either. If any of you guys reading this have a Speed Twin would love to hear your experience so far!

I will pen one soon I promise. I did start on it and I've been trying to get it up to the exacting standards of Team-Bhp. Not quite there yet.
motorotor is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks