Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2021, 11:03   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs

Sebring, your sales experience was very unfortunate. If I could make a suggestion, do write to Triumph India to share your experience. That way the dealership can learn from their mistake and cordon off new bikes like everyone else does. I believe in giving feedback to help others. Conversely, the dealership has been in existence for years and if they need to be informed that customer bikes should be demarcated, then ....

On the topic of dealership sales experiences, Triumph Bangalore was by far the best among all the big bike dealerships. Walk into a Triumph showroom and then walk into a Ducati or a Kawasaki showroom in Bangalore and the differences in how customers are treated, is night and day. The Kawasaki sales guys will openly tell you that they get enough and more bookings from customers who dont bother them too much for long test rides etc. The Ducati sales guys will tell you that the test ride bike is always out of Bangalore for an "event", every time you call to follow up for the test ride (yeah, the customer has to chase VST Ducati for test rides). I am speaking from personal experience.

But as shah_ned pointed out, Triumph owners are aware of a couple of cases of willful negligence where the same Triumph Bangalore dealership has knowingly sold old / defective bikes to owners. Also, the moment the bike is sold, all the customer friendliness gets thrown out the window. All that glitters is not gold.

Back to the Trident 660, I feel that there is a genuine lack of excitement on the ground for this bike. In our local motorcycling circles, I have seen just one rider go and check out the Trident 660. There has not been any buzz about it in our local Triumph groups either. A friend who had booked the Trident 660 has cancelled it.

The other exciting recent launch, the CB500X, in comparison, generated a lot of interest in the local motorcycling circles, and there were quite a few walk-ins within the first few days. This may not have any correlation with the actual bookings and sales successes of the two products, but it is something noticeable. Im not sure if this is restricted to the Kerala market or if it is the same elsewhere.

Even on our forum, we havent seen too much feedback from members who have gone to check out the Trident themselves. Are members holding off until the test rides start?
neil.jericho is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 13:21   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

A friend who had booked the Trident 660 has cancelled it.

Are members holding off until the test rides start?
Good noon,
can you shed light on why your friend cancelled their booking? Something specific he dislikes in the bike/dealership ?

I am waiting for TD vehicles to reach showroom. I am located in Delhi, with showroom in Gurgaon. And with ever rising covid cases I have planned to go checkout the bike, TD it, book it if i like, all in one go. I want to minimize my time in public. So i am avoiding weekends too.
ghost-was-here is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 14:03   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

The other exciting recent launch, the CB500X, in comparison, generated a lot of interest in the local motorcycling circles, and there were quite a few walk-ins within the first few days. This may not have any correlation with the actual bookings and sales successes of the two products, but it is something noticeable. Im not sure if this is restricted to the Kerala market or if it is the same elsewhere.

Even on our forum, we havent seen too much feedback from members who have gone to check out the Trident themselves. Are members holding off until the test rides start?
Things have changed drastically in the last 2 weeks or so because of sky rocketing Covid cases.
Animesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 07:55   #184
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Enough with the off-topic discussion, guys! Now let's get back to talking about the Triumph Trident 660 only.

Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 10:03   #185
BHPian

The embargo seems to be lifted and reviews are coming out.

Last edited by bf1983 : 19th April 2021 at 10:06. Reason: Added one more link
bf1983 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 10:14   #186
BHPian

Few more review videos:

Funny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 10:47   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-was-here View Post
Good noon,
can you shed light on why your friend cancelled their booking? Something specific he dislikes in the bike/dealership ?
ghost-was-here, I dont think there was one exact reason for the cancellation of his booking. It was more a combination of multiple causes, with the first one being one of primary reasons.

- Diminutive size of the Trident
- Frequent complaints about service quality in our dealership
- Positive feedback on the BMW F900XR, which will likely be the bike he books

I am pretty sure that a week or two ago, I mentioned the small size of the Trident as being an important factor in the decision making of many buyers. A lot of riders want a big bike, not just in cubic capacity, but also in terms of looks. These bikes dont need to be supersized, but being too small can very well work against them. And that is how a sizeable chunk of our market thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
Things have changed drastically in the last 2 weeks or so because of sky rocketing Covid cases.
Over here, the number of people going out has reduced noticeably only since last Friday. But yes, that definitely could be a reason.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 14:53   #188
BHPian

Saw the Trident in person this past weekend. Very diminutive in size. Had some expectations of the bike but kind of have an underwhelming feeling post looking at the bike in person. This is a kickass road bike for anyone not willing to tour on this. Can be used for office commute and not many would notice this in the parking lot. Perfect for someone looking at riding solo for weekend outings or breakfast rides only.

Absolutely impossible to fit in luggage at the rear seat without taking up 1/3 or 1/2 of the rider's seat space. Very comfortable riding position if anyone is not into sports tourers. I felt that the tank recess might be a bit of bother for those with longer legs than torso.
whencut86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 15:22   #189
Team-BHP Support

Luggage and the Trident

For those who really want the Trident but are hesitant only because of the luggage factor, do consider Hepco Becker’s semi soft side cases which are phenomenal (albeit expensive). I had the Royster on my street triple 765 S for instance which worked really well. Sold it to a dear friend who did a long ride / tour on his Street Triple RS with the same set up and was very happy. A full set will cost you close to 42k but its lockable, water proof, and is firmly mounted on side mounts.

Having said that, an easier option would be to consider something like the Honda 650 which will just have slightly bigger overall proportions so will be more comfortable for the pillion as well when it comes to two up touring, luggage aside.

Trident ground clearance

Another relevant factor for those who want this for touring - the OD review makes some notable options on the Trident’s poor ground clearance. Please definitely consider this specifically before taking the plunge. I would imagine for two up touring, discomfort aside this issue will be even worsened, so again, something to be mindful of before you sign that cheque, depending on where you ride and in what format (solo vs two up).

Cheers.
Axe77 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 18:29   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Luggage and the Trident

For those who really want the Trident but are hesitant only because of the luggage factor, do consider Hepco Becker’s semi soft side cases which are phenomenal (albeit expensive). I had the Royster on my street triple 765 S for instance which worked really well. Sold it to a dear friend who did a long ride / tour on his Street Triple RS with the same set up and was very happy. A full set will cost you close to 42k but its lockable, water proof, and is firmly mounted on side mounts.
The Royster can be fit in the Street Triple because you can have mounts screwed under the rear of the bike. In the case of the Trident it is clean under the tail and the only part where you can screw mounts is the couple of points where the grab rail is attached to the bike. I doubt it would be this sturdy if we screw the mounts in those points. This bike was launched in October in the UK and few more countries. If at all luggage mounts and panniers were possible on this bike, we should have options from Hepco & Becker or SW Mototech by now. Since there aren't any in 6 months time frame, I suspect only soft luggage or a tail bag can be a luggage option on this bike.

Quote:
Having said that, an easier option would be to consider something like the Honda 650 which will just have slightly bigger overall proportions so will be more comfortable for the pillion as well when it comes to two up touring, luggage aside.
Was watching the review of the 2021 CBR650R and 2021 CB650R in Youtube today. That bike really excels in soaking up bumps as per the reviewer, something the Trident 660 is not adept at doing. The adjustable Showa Separate Function Forks in the CBR650R/CB650R are excellent as per many reviewers and are much better compared to the previous version of the bike without compromising on handling. The braking with 4-piston Nissin calipers is much more better in the CBR650R compared to the Trident 660. Honda's 650cc bikes are sort of the perfect bikes albeit the price. For someone looking to retain a sports tourer for a long time and serious about touring, I see more value in a Honda CBR650R/CB650R than a Trident 660. I understand that the bike is 8.67/8.88 lakhs ex-showroom for the naked/faired versions but as a package it excels in all departments compared to the Trident 660, be it ride, handling, touring capabilities, luggage carrying capabilities, versatility in both city and highways, service, spares and can even tick the Inline-4 box for someone aspiring to get an inline-4 someday. If one is willing to pay a premium for the Honda, that bike is sure to keep one satisfied for a very long time. Rather than opting for the Trident 660 because of its price but complaining about its rudimentary nature during ownership, personally I think it is better to wait out and cough up more for the CBR650R/CB650R and have very satisfying ownership.

Last edited by whencut86 : 19th April 2021 at 18:32. Reason: correction
whencut86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 19:14   #191
Senior - BHPian

SW-Motech has the best tail bag for the Trident, (compact and stylish). Unfortunately, it is available only in Europe and Australia. I have both the soft and hard luggage from Hepco & Becker, on the Honda, and I must say - I'm really impressed by the quality, and engineering
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 10:53   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
I see more value in a Honda CBR650R/CB650R than a Trident 660. I understand that the bike is 8.67/8.88 lakhs ex-showroom for the naked/faired versions but as a package it excels in all departments compared to the Trident 660, be it ride, handling, touring capabilities, luggage carrying capabilities, versatility in both city and highways, service, spares and can even tick the Inline-4 box for someone aspiring to get an inline-4 someday. If one is willing to pay a premium for the Honda, that bike is sure to keep one satisfied for a very long time. Rather than opting for the Trident 660 because of its price but complaining about its rudimentary nature during ownership, personally I think it is better to wait out and cough up more for the CBR650R/CB650R and have very satisfying ownership.
The main issue with using the CBR 650R for touring other than the more aggressive riding position is the 132mm ground clearance. Add a pillion and or luggage and that bike is going to scrape quite a few bumps along the way.

Neither the Trident nor the CBR is well suited for touring though as you mentioned the CBR can do a lot better in the luggage department which means you can easily carry more stuff on tours using well paved highways.

Honestly if you are looking at touring its best to get an ADV like the Honda CB500x or Versys 650 rather than the Trident 660 or the Honda CBR/CB 650.

So as a pure breakfast ride or short weekend ride machine the Trident is excellent value as you get almost as much power as the Honda but more importantly more torque at lower rpms which means riding at low speeds will be more satisfying on the Trident. And if you like spirited riding the Trident will have an edge with the optional bi directional quickshifter.

Lastly the Trident is a good 18 kgs less than the CBR650R and a decent 13 kgs less than the Honda CB650R.
bf1983 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 11:57   #193
BHPian

*First post alert*
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum (as a member- have been following the forums as a reader since eternity), and this is my first post on tbhp
I've been in the market for a new middleweight (had a HD street 750, which I sold in Nov'20). My primary riding will be in the city (sometimes 2-up) , with weekend rides and the occassional overnighter. The trident felt just right for my money at the time and I put a booking down in Dec'20.
Although my heart is sold on triumph (we had a scrambler 900 and currently have a brand new street triple R in the family) , I have been a bit confused with the options- within this price band, I see mostly 2 options- Trident (with accessories) , or the Z900 if i cough up a bit more cash, and of course, the cb650r, which is even more expensive, and frankly, outside my budget.
I tried the Z900, and while it is a wonderful bike with the 'inline 4' appeal, the edgy "japanese" look put me off too much- the previous version was a bit better. Also, the pillion is absolutely atrocious and my wife just loathed it.
Coming to the CB650, yes, it is ridiculously priced, and features wise,brakes aside, the power figures for India are very similar to the Trident. I also feel that some hygiene factors are missing (grab rails, riding modes, TFT screen). Nevertheless, at an acceptable price, this would still have been a good contender.
That leaves me with the Trident- seeing it in flesh re-affirmed the positive feeling on sound, ergonomics, fit and finish- the reviews confirmed these as well. The only concern probably is its slightly smaller dimensions,as mentioned by some people above, (I'm 5ft-7, heavy-ish built) and the possibility of mounting luggage - which seems to be a problem with all the bikes in this segment. I'm still a bit on the edge about whether I should pull the trigger on the Trident! Any advice is welcome- and please forgive the lengthy post
sauravm_89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 14:21   #194
Senior - BHPian

Please check out Honda's CB 650 (Naked bike). Shouldn't harm to TD 500X (Ticks most boxes), Versys (Solid performer), VSTROM etc before plonking those big bucks. Besides luggage, you want pillion rider comfort too - right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravm_89 View Post
The only concern probably is its slightly smaller dimensions,as mentioned by some people above, (I'm 5ft-7, heavy-ish built) and the possibility of mounting luggage - which seems to be a problem with all the bikes in this segment. I'm still a bit on the edge about whether I should pull the trigger on the Trident

Last edited by Sebring : 20th April 2021 at 14:23.
Sebring is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 14:23   #195
BHPian

A nice review comparing the Triumph Trident 660 to the Honda CB650R.

For those short on time he found the Trident to be very good value for the money though he found the Street Triple R to be more fun than the Trident or the Honda but the Street Triple is his own bike and there will always be a bias towards your own bike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravm_89 View Post
That leaves me with the Trident- seeing it in flesh re-affirmed the positive feeling on sound, ergonomics, fit and finish- the reviews confirmed these as well. The only concern probably is its slightly smaller dimensions,as mentioned by some people above, (I'm 5ft-7, heavy-ish built) and the possibility of mounting luggage - which seems to be a problem with all the bikes in this segment. I'm still a bit on the edge about whether I should pull the trigger on the Trident! Any advice is welcome- and please forgive the lengthy post
I haven't ridden any of the bikes you are considering so take what I say with a generous helping of salt!

The Trident from everything I have read is meant for shorter riders and for solo rides. The seat along with the bike is quite small. So your height is fine but if you want to take a pillion along I doubt the Trident will suit your needs.

For your needs the CB650R seems to be a much better fit. Yes the engine is down on power but honestly for our roads its plenty powerful for all but the most skilled riders out there. The bike is also bigger than the Trident, has a proper seat which will allow you to ride two up without a lot of issues and the service costs won't burn a massive hole in your pocket. But the ground clearance could be an issue if there are lots of badly built speed breakers on the roads you usually ride on. So keep that in mind.

Hopefully some more knowledgeable members will also chime in with their thoughts. And good luck with your decision

Last edited by bf1983 : 20th April 2021 at 14:39. Reason: Typo
bf1983 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed