Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 18:37   #16
BANNED

Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 BS6 launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
....best to pick up a used one (if in the market for a Versys) else, it's 'game set match' to the Suzuki Vstrom in this category!
It’s a lazy update, sure. But the V-Strom (650) too has received no updates. So they haven’t taken the game further away from the Versys this coming year at least.

The V-Strom is a stellar machine. But those who are sure of their road-only requirement would still go for the Versys I feel. That 17” front wheel looks small for a big bike. But it is super useful for road-only duties.
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 19:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
It’s a lazy update, sure. But the V-Strom (650) too has received no updates. So they haven’t taken the game further away from the Versys this coming year at least.
My views (and irritation) came from the fact that I had booked the outgoing BS4 Versys 650 only for some issue from Kawasaki and the dealer side for it to go downhill. At that time I was told that the BS6 version would come with tubeless wire spokes, TFT and rider modes (like the N and Z models) - so would be better to wait it out. But the Vstrom BS4 already had these (barring TFT, but a better off dashboard) - so that way it scores above the Versys. Sadly, the bs6 Versys was just another detuned version to meet emission norms. So apart from the 'gear indicator', there's nothing changed from 2016

So I'll still maintain that the VStrom has the edge here despite the no updates.

Quote:
The V-Strom is a stellar machine. But those who are sure of their road-only requirement would still go for the Versys I feel. That 17” front wheel looks small for a big bike. But it is super useful for road-only duties.
Agree. But the 'desi ADV category' is such that once you get either V, there's this off-road bug that bites you from nowhere and one tends to rough it out if like-minded riders get along

The choice between the two is highly personalized depending on one's riding style, usage etc. Post the booking no show, I test rode the Vstrom and got even more confused. Heart said the Versys while the mind went with Vstrom.
TheVaas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 19:30   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
The V-Strom is a stellar machine.
How's your experience with the Vee going? Is this the wrong thread, should we discuss in the V-Strom thread?
Old 17th November 2020, 18:34   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Was popular. This bike is being taken to the dhobi by bikes like the 790 adventure as well as the Tenere 700. The Versys is an almost end of life cycle product, expect something that combines the KLR and the Versys to come out in 2021/22. Something that takes on the T700. That is afterall the hottest market at the moment.
Hi Red Liner - I have spent the whole year searching for a good Versys to buy and have time and again kept returning to your thread whenever i need any info. I have just narrowed down on a one year old, 6.5k run Versys and then see this post from you. Do you think i should still go ahead or wait?
I still absolutely love the Versys and the way it rides and have been waiting to own one, but it's my first foray into the big bike world and i would want to make the right decision.
rd350nj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 19:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

What's the price a one year old Versys will fetch? How much are you paying. It's one of the best out there, and a great choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd350nj View Post
I have just narrowed down on a one year old, 6.5k run Versys and then see this post from you. Do you think i should still go ahead or wait? I still absolutely love the Versys and the way it rides and have been waiting to own one, but it's my first foray into the big bike world and i would want to make the right decision.
Old 17th November 2020, 19:25   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Red Liner - I have spent the whole year searching for a good Versys to buy and have time and again kept returning to your thread whenever i need any info. I have just narrowed down on a one year old, 6.5k run Versys and then see this post from you. Do you think i should still go ahead or wait?
I still absolutely love the Versys and the way it rides and have been waiting to own one, but it's my first foray into the big bike world and i would want to make the right decision.
The versys is a great bike, but i think right now is a bit old in the tooth. How much are you getting it for? For me here are the pluses and minuses:

+Reasonably powerful engine that won't scare you
+Very very good wind protection to ride long hours on the highway
+Very good pillion comfort
+Fairly quiet on the highway when you ride
+Bullet proof engine if you take care of things as per the service manual
+Looks like and feels like a big bike import

Now, the not so good
-lots of plastics. One fall and you are staring at steep replacement costs and long wait times to have them imported
-engine character gets boring after a while.
-its like a reliable station wagon. To take your missus on rides. Theres not much else you can do with it.
-kawasaki authorised service is hit or miss. Find a reliable garage or PM ME.
-absolute lack of any kind of electronic or hardware feature to keep you engaged.
-completely end of lifecycle product that is due to be replaced any minute globally
-extremely heavy bike to manage in any kind of tricky situation which india is famous for
-if something goes wrong with the bike on tour, your nearest service center is in about 8 metros across the country and whether they are any good at fixing anything is the next question

Hope that helped
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 01:15   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The versys is a great bike, but i think right now is a bit old in the tooth. How much are you getting it for? For me here are the pluses and minuses:

+Reasonably powerful engine that won't scare you
+Very very good wind protection to ride long hours on the highway
+Very good pillion comfort
+Fairly quiet on the highway when you ride
+Bullet proof engine if you take care of things as per the service manual
+Looks like and feels like a big bike import
From a comfortable touring perspective, how does the Adv 390 fare compared to V650 ?
Old 18th November 2020, 07:40   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
From a comfortable touring perspective, how does the Adv 390 fare compared to V650 ?
Versys all the way. Pendulum swings back to the 390 when you encounter no roads.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 13:07   #24

Quote:
The versys is a great bike, but i think right now is a bit old in the tooth.
=====
Hope that helped
Thanks Redliner, definitely helped.

I am paying 6.5 L for a well maintained and low run(6.5k) bike which has a few accessories like Hepko Becker Topbox and mounting plates, SW Motech tank bag, Engine, fork and swing arm protectors, Radiator cover, Maddog aux lights, USB charging port, phone mount, Barkbusters and a side stand extender.
I feel i may be paying a little more than the current market prices, but its a good bike and has not been abused.

Completely agree with all the positives and negatives that you have stated and am also worried about the weight, but have convinced myself that i should be able to manage it and come out unscathed!
I definitely do not want to use the Kawa service centers, but am unsure if i should wait till the warranty period completes.
This is a completely alien situation for me as all my other rides are vintage/classic and i never had this dilemma
I would love to do as much DIY as possible and use a reliable garage for everything else. Apologies, unable to PM as i am a newbie (even though i signed up in 2007/8). Happy to share my number with you if that works.
rd350nj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 13:28   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Redliner, definitely helped.

I am paying 6.5 L for a well maintained and low run(6.5k) bike which has a few accessories like Hepko Becker Topbox and mounting plates, SW Motech tank bag, Engine, fork and swing arm protectors, Radiator cover, Maddog aux lights, USB charging port, phone mount, Barkbusters and a side stand extender.
I feel i may be paying a little more than the current market prices, but its a good bike and has not been abused.

Completely agree with all the positives and negatives that you have stated and am also worried about the weight, but have convinced myself that i should be able to manage it and come out unscathed!
I definitely do not want to use the Kawa service centers, but am unsure if i should wait till the warranty period completes.
This is a completely alien situation for me as all my other rides are vintage/classic and i never had this dilemma
I would love to do as much DIY as possible and use a reliable garage for everything else. Apologies, unable to PM as i am a newbie (even though i signed up in 2007/8). Happy to share my number with you if that works.
Rack up a few posts, then you can use the forum for all its advantages.

As a first big bike ever, the versys is a very forgiving motorcycle and will put a massive smile on your face. It goes fast like a street bike, but its supremely comfortable over anything and everything. You see, that smile cannot be computed arithmetically or stacked up in a plus or minus.

Owning and riding a motorcycle is a journey, and this versys is just one step in that. Go ahead, and buy the bike. Paying a little more for absolute mental comfort that the bike has been taken care of is priceless.

Here is a tip to preserve your warranty. Visit the svc only for the oil change. That costs under 1k excluding the oil. For everything else, you can buy parts from motousher.com and they also have a showroom now in jayanagar. PM me and i will guide you to the same person who helped and continues to help keep the versys i owned in good nick.

If you are going to go ahead and tour the country, there is no other bike that gives as much value as a Kawasaki Versys 650

Keep us posted with pictures of the happy moment
Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 13:38   #26

Quote:
Rack up a few posts, then you can use the forum for all its advantages.

As a first big bike ever, the versys is a very forgiving motorcycle and will put a massive smile on your face. It goes fast like a street bike, but its supremely comfortable over anything and everything. You see, that smile cannot be computed arithmetically or stacked up in a plus or minus.

Owning and riding a motorcycle is a journey, and this versys is just one step in that. Go ahead, and buy the bike. Paying a little more for absolute mental comfort that the bike has been taken care of is priceless.

Here is a tip to preserve your warranty. Visit the svc only for the oil change. That costs under 1k excluding the oil. For everything else, you can buy parts from motousher.com and they also have a showroom now in jayanagar. PM me and i will guide you to the same person who helped and continues to help keep the versys i owned in good nick.

If you are going to go ahead and tour the country, there is no other bike that gives as much value as a Kawasaki Versys 650

Keep us posted with pictures of the happy moment
Thank you Redliner,
I am going to go ahead and buy the bike, completely agree on paying a small premium for mental peace!
I was planning on visiting the SVC to do an oil change as soon as i pick up the bike and also get the warranty details updated if possible.
I will definitely need your help and guidance in this journey and will contact you once i pick up the bike.
Hope to complete the buy this weekend and will put up pictures!
rd350nj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 14:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Redliner,
I am going to go ahead and buy the bike, completely agree on paying a small premium for mental peace!
I was planning on visiting the SVC to do an oil change as soon as i pick up the bike and also get the warranty details updated if possible.
I will definitely need your help and guidance in this journey and will contact you once i pick up the bike.
Hope to complete the buy this weekend and will put up pictures!
All the best!

I just happened to see your signature, "[COLOR=#777]'53 BSA C10,'65 Jawa 250,'69 Enfield 350,'76 Yezdi Classic,'84 Jawa Colt 60cc,'89&'94 Yezdi Roadking,'85 SS 80,'85 RD350[/COLOR]"

That's a lot of classic bikes you owned, please share your experience in an appropriate thread. May be you can pick up a Triumph Bonneville (T120) as a second bike with the Versys!
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 20:58   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
No contest. The Versys for road touring. The KTM seat will also be harder and narrower and in every sense (including engine grunt the Versys will be more comfortable for munching miles and long hours on the highway.

But comfort can have different hues. Take the KTM to bad roads and it’s lighter weight, narrower seat and low end torque and grunt will make it far more effortless to pilot compared to the heavy duty Versys which is particularly ill equipped for off roads.

Mod Note: BHPian iamahunter's Kawasaki Versys 650 Ownership Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 29th March 2022 at 11:00. Reason: Adding link to ownership review
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks