Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2020, 13:11   #46
BHPian

re: BMW R90 vs Ducati Scrambler 1100 vs Triumph Scrambler 1200. EDIT: Harley Davidson 48 Special it is!

Front suspension bottoming out can be eliminated with progressive heavy duty springs, regular progressive springs wont help much for our roads.

Rear you can go with Road king shocks which are taller than progressive shocks.

Alternately you can install a spacer in the front forks for ground clearance along with 15w fork oil.

Fuel pak is suggested by everybody, ask them why, they wont know . Fuel pak wont help if you upgrade beyond an air filter and exhaust.I wasted money on the fuelpak, most of the HD folk you meet in India wont know anything about technical stuff. Power vision is the best tool for anything more.

While choosing vance and hines , keep in mind you will lose some low end torque with a free flow exhaust , if you add back pressure , the sound goes down. The evolution engine is known for low end and mid range.
Old 16th June 2020, 18:12   #47
BHPian

re: BMW R90 vs Ducati Scrambler 1100 vs Triumph Scrambler 1200. EDIT: Harley Davidson 48 Special it is!

Thank you Haroon and Frankenstein.

Ricor may have gone out of business. I have sent them a message. I need to see how a stiffer spring feels like. I like the way it is now except for the bumps.

I did some research on FP and quite a few people were complaining about unusable units shipped (paired with another VIN already)

I asked the dealer to share dyno charts that I could refer to - specifically with stage 1, how and where the performance will improve (with SE or VH) - something from their own experience (and not downloaded from a third party source.) I was told there is no need to remap at all even with the filter/exhaust upgrade. I recall installing free flowing Termignoni 57mm pipes on my 749R which came with significantly smaller header pipes. I HAD to install a PC to get it to run properly. Luckily I had access to people who knew this stuff well and also had a dyno with them. The performance increase was noticeable esp. in its sweet spot. Of course it sounded and looked a LOT better than stock. With older Ducatis, I used EPROMs from FIM Australia and FBF/PI when ever I did an exhaust upgrade. This is of course decades ago - when you had pull out the stock chip and plug in the new one.

I definitely don't want to compromise the low end in favour of performance boost in higher rev range that I may only use occasionally.

So, at the moment, I will just ride it and not mess with anything!

Last edited by ksanjee : 16th June 2020 at 18:16.
ksanjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 18:54   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanjee View Post
I asked the dealer to share dyno charts that I could refer to - specifically with stage 1, how and where the performance will improve (with SE or VH) - something from their own experience (and not downloaded from a third party source.) I was told there is no need to remap at all even with the filter/exhaust upgrade.
It's better to run a retuner after doing stage 1 - it'll give you a better ride and make use of the higher flow. If you're sticking to the basics an FP is more than enough and easy to use. For more custom work the Dynojet is a superior product.

Don't look at only the options the dealer is giving you for upgrades, there are a lot of options for Harley's available - even in India.

If you're looking to upgrade the rear shocks, stay away from Harley OEM, and especially the HD touring shocks, they are really bad.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 19:49   #49
BHPian

When i installed k & n filter with screaming eagle exhaust in my fatboy, the low end torque went down, there was exhaust popping and engine ran hot, after using a tuner, the decibel pop vanished, low end torque returned and engine ran cooler. With out tuner it will run lean with the stage 1 upgrade.

Got the 48 today , took a ride , not as torquey as the fatty , but its quicker and brakes well. suspension is non existent . Is a preowned vehicle with a heavy breather and stock exhaust, also got a vance from the seller, will install it tomorrow and tune it again.

Ordering suspension and 14 inch ape bars soon.
Old 16th June 2020, 20:33   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Got the 48 today , took a ride , not as torquey as the fatty , but its quicker and brakes well. suspension is non existent . Is a preowned vehicle with a heavy breather and stock exhaust, also got a vance from the seller, will install it tomorrow and tune it again.

Congrats.

And please let us know how things go with VH after tuning. Would love to hear your 1st hand experience. I love the way VH short shot looks. I have not heard it or seen it in person. If I can make that work, I would love to.

If you are in BLR, it would be great to meet up.
Old 16th June 2020, 21:58   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post

Congrats on your new bike. That's an interesting combination, a heavy breather with a stock exhaust. The exhaust is usually the first thing to be swapped by new bike owners.
Old 17th June 2020, 19:08   #52
BHPian

Re: BMW R90 vs Ducati Scrambler 1100 vs Triumph Scrambler 1200. EDIT: Harley Davidson 48 Special it

Today got the motorcycle polished and installed the Vance and Hines staggered shorts. Did the tune and lowered the idle, all this took 30 mins since i updated the firmware , the battery is discharged now, have put it up for charge. The Vance and Hines is just a screaming eagle without mufflers .

The previous owner gave me lot of original stuff like the Vance and Hines, side number plate kit and rear fender light, original seat plus mustang seat etc.

Today ordered apes, sissy bar, white wall inserts, bobber spring seat , front suspension , tank lift and suspension lift.

Will take a ride tomorrow and update. Im telling again, just remove the stock muffler from the stock exhaust, put a lollipop and it will sound same like Vance and Hines with better beating. You can invest that money in suspension and tuner.

Last edited by Frankenstein : 17th June 2020 at 19:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks