Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2021, 08:25   #196
BHPian

Re: Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)

I've been a silent reader of this thread for a while now and I really admire your guts Krishna! Awesome seeing DIYs on big bikes for a change. Your thread really boosts my belief on taking spanners to all our prized possessions.

And I really want to ride to Palakkad just to see the beauty in person!
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 09:00   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
I've been a silent reader of this thread for a while now and I really admire your guts Krishna! Awesome seeing DIYs on big bikes for a change. Your thread really boosts my belief on taking spanners to all our prized possessions.

And I really want to ride to Palakkad just to see the beauty in person!
Hey Divya, Long time!

Thanks man, it did take some time to build up the courage to work on big bikes. Moreover having the right instructions(shop manuals), the right tools, and open space to work in is the best way to start.

And ride down any time. It's been way too long since we last met.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 10:10   #198
BHPian

Super super work Krishna! Always so good to see big bikes being ridden like they are meant to and loved liked they deserved to!

I stood on the head of the technicians at Triumph last week to understand how to clean the throttle bodies. The bike will be out of extended warranty this December and I plan to do most things at home with the help of like minded buddies and seeing this only gives me the confidence that I need!

And really there is no better feeling of riding your bike (that runs perfect) after working on it with a good mate!

Ride safe!
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 11:18   #199
BHPian

Do let me know when you open a garage for big bikes. I wouldnt mind making the trip for a service. That is some really good handy work! Great Job and interesting read.
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 11:19   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Another brilliant DIY Krishna

The only DIY I can perform on my Busa without getting a mini heart attack is getting it on a paddock stand with some help and cleaning the chain

Glad the culprit for the idling issue was identified and attended to. But looking at the the K&N air filter do you think its performing as intended? The reason I am asking this is because when I looked at the air filter picture you posted I noticed the outer rubber has disintegrated on the top and maybe not providing a 100% seal?

The only way so much dirt can enter is either through fuel or the airbox.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-b180dde4219e4010bd453e74ddda2b4a.jpeg

That is why I mentioned in my thread that I was not comfortable shifting to aftermarket air filter on my Busa as the OE has been performing flawlessly and is not expensive to replace either. The way the air box is clean of any dirt particles after taking the filter is always reassuring. Hence, maybe you should inspect it to avoid this problem from reoccurring in the future.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-f78e893268374bad917a26e6c8d2b0b8.jpeg

Further I know getting the throttle body would have been cumbersome and you were not 100% confident of handling it but ideally that much amount of gunk should not have been allowed to enter the cylinders as any small dirt particles can damage the cylinder/pistons. Also, I am not sure if the R1 has a fuel filter inside the tank? If yes and if you have not cleaned/ replaced it in the past you should do that too.

I am sure the RAM air sucks up a lot of insects and sadly a dragonfly ended up getting sucked on the Busa too but luckily got stuck in the outer mesh and did not enter the airbox.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-b2dc989d65ec4a2bb57dabb1662bb5b4.jpeg

P.s - That was a close call with the fuel leaking around a hot engine. It always give me a scare when I smell fuel while riding my 2 strokes and always stop to check if its leaking from the tank or the carb float has got stuck..

Last edited by SnS_12 : 1st February 2021 at 11:23.
SnS_12 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 12:12   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Super super work Krishna! Always so good to see big bikes being ridden like they are meant to and loved liked they deserved to!
Thanks for the kind words Rohan. Sigh! I just wish I could do track riding too sometime in the future.

Quote:
I stood on the head of the technicians at Triumph last week to understand how to clean the throttle bodies. The bike will be out of extended warranty this December and I plan to do most things at home with the help of like minded buddies and seeing this only gives me the confidence that I need!
Haha..Thats much needed at most places. We just don't know what they are doing if we are not staying back and the horror stories we keep hearing about SVC frauds just adds fuel to the fire.

Quote:
And really there is no better feeling of riding your bike (that runs perfect) after working on it with a good mate!

Ride safe!
Rohan
Bingo!! It's a very potent high tbh.

I love that you added the "(that runs perfect)" part, imagine my heart rate when I saw fuel gushing onto the clutch case after running the bike post TB sync. I guess that's why it's important to recheck and make sure every work done is perfect(even though it takes almost 2x the time as the original job). This is what a lot of mechs fail to do and we end up being the people who suffer on road.

Oh boy! I kinda went on a rant there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Do let me know when you open a garage for big bikes. I wouldnt mind making the trip for a service. That is some really good handy work! Great Job and interesting read.
Hey, I guess you are in luck. So my friend(the chap who's is my partner in crime in all DIYs posts here) actually provides this service, just that it's out of his house and he takes on only referred clients as of now, moreover, much like us he believes in quality rather than quantity(I guess Neil can attest to that too). That's why I never openly mention names or contact info about it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Another brilliant DIY Krishna

The only DIY I can perform on my Busa without getting a mini heart attack is getting it on a paddock stand with some help and cleaning the chain
Haha.. C'mon man don't sell yourself short.
Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Glad the culprit for the idling issue was identified and attended to. But looking at the the K&N air filter do you think its performing as intended? The reason I am asking this is because when I looked at the air filter picture you posted I noticed the outer rubber has disintegrated on the top and maybe not providing a 100% seal?

The only way so much dirt can enter is either through fuel or the airbox.

Attachment 2116406
Oh man..how did I not think of this. But I think it's less likely because even for the jagged rubber part it sits inside a ridge that's on the underside of the airbox cover, which maintains a proper seal. But yeah, like you said worth checking out. Will do it next time I open the filter for cleaning.

Quote:
That is why I mentioned in my thread that I was not comfortable shifting to aftermarket air filter on my Busa as the OE has been performing flawlessly and is not expensive to replace either. The way the air box is clean of any dirt particles after taking the filter is always reassuring. Hence, maybe you should inspect it to avoid this problem from reoccurring in the future.

Attachment 2116408
Very valid point. I'll keep an eye out for that and will update here.

Quote:
Further I know getting the throttle body would have been cumbersome and you were not 100% confident of handling it but ideally that much amount of gunk should not have been allowed to enter the cylinders as any small dirt particles can damage the cylinder/pistons. Also, I am not sure if the R1 has a fuel filter inside the tank? If yes and if you have not cleaned/ replaced it in the past you should do that too.
This is the first time the bike is getting this treatment(Tb cleaning) so for a 27k km run bike, the throttle body gunk was as expected.
Yeah about the flooding the chamber yeah it's not ideal, but it isn't that bad too. Doing it a lot can be a problem but doing it once is not a biggie. But yeah it's good to be risk-averse in this case.

Quote:
I am sure the RAM air sucks up a lot of insects and sadly a dragonfly ended up getting sucked on the Busa too but luckily got stuck in the outer mesh and did not enter the airbox.

Attachment 2116407
Ah luckily you have an outer mesh.

Quote:
P.s - That was a close call with the fuel leaking around a hot engine. It always give me a scare when I smell fuel while riding my 2 strokes and always stop to check if its leaking from the tank or the carb float has got stuck..
How about this.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-whatsapp-image-20210201-11.23.09-am-1.jpeg

That's me inspecting that there is no fuel leaks or oil leaks anywhere. The smoke is just oil evaporating that had fallen on the headers during the oil filter change. But just imagine seeing this randomly, yikes!

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 13:41   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

The issue with the placement of the air filter on big bikes means that a owner can never confirm if the filter has been cleaned/replaced post service as its a easy way to fleece an unsuspecting customer.

Also, not maintaining/storing your bike properly could lead to such horrid images

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-735402dad7f448538657abf14aa35b5d.jpeg

Hence, I always ensure the work is done in front of me whenever possible on the Busa especially for my peace of mind.
SnS_12 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 18:53   #203
Senior - BHPian

Gobsmacks! Loved the part where you've used cotton swabs, just the way I do it too Cleans well and gives you peace of mind. The joy of getting your hands dirty and riding it is where all the joy lies in owning a machine. One more trick the mechanics use while removing the old subborn filter is the mild torque over method. What they do is they intentionally slightly tighten (CW) while simultaneously threading (ACW) which breaks the filter free. Though not recommended, I've seen people do this and it works well.

Ride safe!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 22:10   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
One more trick the mechanics use while removing the old subborn filter is the mild torque over method. What they do is they intentionally slightly tighten (CW) while simultaneously threading (ACW) which breaks the filter free. Though not recommended, I've seen people do this and it works well.

Ride safe!

Cheers!
VJ
Why does that sound scary to me just reading it

I think I'll stay clear of that method for now.

Cheers
Krishna
Old 1st February 2021, 22:21   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Why does that sound scary to me just reading it

I think I'll stay clear of that method for now.

Cheers
Krishna
Hey don't blame me if you crack your filter sump threads. Sayn goes, old school back page tricks which one has to have a little experience in doing after screwing up a couple of cases But guess what, your nearest dealerships would have done this and still do and you wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 22:30   #206
BANNED

Get yourself a Filter Socket, don't recall the price around 150~250ish IIRC, commonly available at any half decent automobile spares shop you can spot.

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img20201130wa0084.jpg

Review: My Yamaha R1 (WGP 50th Anniversary Edition)-img20201130wa0082.jpg

Hope that helps. A fellow Tbhpian recently got the OE Strap Type wrench for his car by MGP and even that failed to undo a stuck filter. The socket type has never failed me.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 22:39   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Get yourself a Filter Socket, don't recall the price around 150~250ish IIRC, commonly available at any half decent automobile spares shop you can spot.

Attachment 2116758

Attachment 2116759

Hope that helps. A fellow Tbhpian recently got the OE Strap Type wrench for his car by MGP and even that failed to undo a stuck filter. The socket type has never failed me.

Cheers,
A.P.
Ah yes, I am aware of this, We used the Spider/Claw/Jaw wrench which is driven by gears making it size adjustable and give a crazy amount of grip on the filter. Adding a pic from the internet for reference, I don't have a pic of the exact one we used.

Spider/Claw/Jaw type oil filter removal tool

Name:  Screenshot 20210201 at 10.35.30 PM.png
Views: 682
Size:  230.1 KB

Anyways we replaced it with a filter that has the bolt head attached to it so next time we won't have to fiddle with it like we did this time.

The placement of the oil filter is what makes it a bit finicky to reach and put tools(Chain type/Socket type/ strap type) on as it's directly behind the header pipes. So the one with the bolt head will be so much easier because all you need is a proper extender add-on to your wrench and you are in business.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 23:45   #208
BHPian

That is some high level DIY you did there krishna, but good work, there's no better feeling than working on your own ride. This might be very useful to someone searching for the exact same issue.

What sort of difference did you notice between 100 octane and normal fuel, your before journey was without the cleaning work, so reply me when you fill the normal fuel next time and ride.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 21:25   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
That is some high level DIY you did there krishna, but good work, there's no better feeling than working on your own ride. This might be very useful to someone searching for the exact same issue.
Thanks for the kind words mate. Well, I hope it helps someone in the future and saves them the time running around trying different options.

Quote:
What sort of difference did you notice between 100 octane and normal fuel, your before journey was without the cleaning work, so reply me when you fill the normal fuel next time and ride.
Sure thing. I Will let you know about the next re-fueling experience. It should be rather interesting, even I myself am more than curious to find out.

Cheers
Krishna
Old 2nd February 2021, 22:43   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regular fuel will increase the vibrations and make the engine harsher. You will also notice more engine noise but funnily the bike will give you more sense off speed when going WOT. Ofcourse at very low speed in a higher gear, knocking will occur.

97 plus octane will make the engine smoother, quiter with noticibly lower vibrations. The sense of speed is going to be less.

Ideally cycle between a tank of regular and higher octane or get a 50 50 mix of the two.

Last edited by bigron : 2nd February 2021 at 22:47.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks