Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2019, 23:50   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishkamm View Post
Gaadiwaadi has a post which has recent and clear pictures of the bike.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/ktm-790-duke-...ly-next-month/
The pictures were part of a short review published by Sandeep CB (well known in Bangalore big bike circles) for the biking groups he is a part of! Below is the content present along with the images -

Quote:
SAY HELLO TO THE KTM 790 DUKE….

I was earnestly looking forward to this one, with all the hype built up by the international media and the launch delays, the day couldn’t have come any sooner, here’s the low down….

Aesthetics 8/10:

First things first, its all about familiarity here, the cuts, creases and angles make up the composition just like the 390 and if contemporary suits your palette then you will be pleased by the KTM 790 Duke especially presented in the spunky orange. Truth is that it looks like the better looking, more refined brother of the 390, I say brother because there is Zilch femininity in this one.

Ergonomics 8/10:

Contrary to the belief of many that this bike is about the same size as the 390, there is a lot more room on this one, the tank is longer, with the handlebars slightly more forward and the 790 definitely affords the rider more room than the 390. The footpegs are well placed and it’s a typically upright riding position that is offered. Handlebars are the right width with all the controls placed with good sense and logic. For your reference, I’m 6’-2” with my shoes on.

Engine 9/10:

The engine is just spectacular and feels unrelated to the other KTM’s made and sold in India in terms of refinement and sound, especially given that this one’s a twin. There are no annoying vibes and its probably the most refined twin that there is this side of 600cc. The engine feels pretty frantic and it revs up so briskly that it's quite tricky to change into second before it bounces off the rev limiter at 9500rpm. I would have really enjoyed a slightly taller 1st and 2nd gear, as this would have made it even more ballistic!
There is plenty of torque at any speed as long as you are moving and in a gear not more than either one higher or lower than the optimum one. On the go, a twist of the wrist is all that is needed to rocket you down the road at an exciting pace, it’s a true street fighter (whatever that means, after all, whosever seen someone playing road rash on the road????),but if someone did get into the dangerous habit, this would be the motorbike to take!

The quick Shifter is bi-directional and is a handy toy to enhance the sensation of Joy, But ultimately the 790 is not about top-end performance, though it has more than enough for a naked, otherwise your arms start getting pulled out of their sockets mercilessly after about 180kmph because of the lack of wind protection offered by nakeds.
When it comes to highway cruising, the engine skips along nicely at 140kmph at a relaxed 5500rpm and is very comfortable.
There are various electronic aids that are available and the menu and interface is intuitive, One can change them on the fly just as long as you roll off the throttle completely. The four riding modes include Street, Sport, Track and Rain and adjust various parameters to adjust the engine response and experience. I could not test all of this as it was a clear, dry and sunny day (The Heavens be praised for that), For more on the electronic rider aids please buy yourself one and experience it for yourself and help me write an encyclopaedia on it, I will be forever grateful.

Gear box 7/10:
The gearbox with its quick-shifter and slipper clutch was slick enough with good clean positive shifts for the most part but for some reason would fall out of 2nd gear and go back into neutral when going over a road rut. I don’t really understand why but this did happen a couple of times.

Brakes 8/10:
Let me tell you upfront, NO BREMBOS! Now that that’s done, let me tell you that others make brakes as well and possibly better in certain price brackets, after all, the world can’t stop making bikes that stop even if BREMBO suddenly stops making braking systems.
On the road, the brakes have plenty of stopping power and the brake balance between front and rear felt great. I wouldn’t need anything more for the road, they have plenty of feel and power and nicely calibrated for most riders.

Suspension 6/10:
WP upside-down non-adjustable shocks up front are reasonable and offer enough performance on the smooth tarmac like the ones found in the developed world but not plush enough for more demanding situations that surface in India throws up.Something with adjustability would be really nice to tailor it to individual requirements.
The rear monoshock is just too stiff for India, Period!

The stiff suspension has an advantage though, coupled with the class leading ground clearance of 189mm, it keeps its belly clear of bike breakers!

Tyres and Wheels 7/10:
It is just the usual here, alloys with tubeless rubber. I don’t like talking about tyres as they can be changed according to taste once the stock set wears out.

Handling 8/10:
Someone should file a PIL against KTM as in the right hands(some would say in the wrong hands), this could be a lethal tool in traffic, This motorcycle steers and turns like a toy, make that a very very powerful toy in city limits, Imagine those punk kids who do wheelies on one way get a hold of this precision instrument, it would be devastating and would be comparable to what the British felt like during one of those Viking raids. This is a point and squirt tool like no other in the 2 wheeled world, and is true to its reputation, no other naked handles like this one!
But……..All this effortless point and squirt business means that there is a downside, and that is high speed handling, yes, the light front end means that it is not very stable once you get past 180kmph and you can feel this in a straight line and long sweeping high-speed corners, I guess that’s the way the cookie crumbles!

Overall:
The KTM 790 Duke is true to what it is marketed as “The Scalpel”, lighter, nimbler, more agile than any of its competitors but not in the absence of direction change, Here the competition is better, but I guess you can’t eat the cake and keep it too. It really depends on what one wants, The Ultimate stunt tool & precision instrument to weave around obstacles or a heat seeking screamer of a missile that won’t easily be destabilised easily from its path. The choice is truly yours, embrace it!!!

Sandeep C B
(For technical specs please visit the manufacturer's website)
KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-whatsapp-image-20190829-08.17.27.jpeg

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-wbhatsapp-image-20190829-08.17.27.jpeg

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-whatsabpp-image-20190829-08.17.27.jpeg

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-whatsapp-imagbe-20b190829-08.17.27.jpeg

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-whatsapp-image-20b190829-08.17.27.jpeg

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-whatsapp-image-2019082b9-08.17.27.jpeg

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-whatsapp-image-20190829-0b8.17.27.jpeg

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-whatsapp-image-20190829-08.1b7.27.jpeg

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-whatsapp-image-20190829-08.b17.27.jpeg

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-whbatsapp-image-20190829-08.17.27.jpeg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th August 2019 at 23:58.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 16:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

KTM 790 Duke brochure leaked

The technical specifications of the India-spec KTM 790 Duke have reportedly leaked.

KTM 790 Duke - Bikes start reaching dealerships, now launched @ 8.63L-2019ktmduke790specsindia.jpg

The 790 Duke is based around a steel frame. It rides on 43 mm upside-down fork suspension at the front and has a monoshock at the rear.

The 790 Duke will be powered by a 799cc, twin-cylinder engine that develops 104 BHP @ 9,000 rpm and 87 Nm @ 8,000 rpm. The engine is mated to a 6-speed gearbox via a slipper clutch. It has 4 riding modes - Sport, Street, Rain and Track.

The bike is likely to get twin 300 mm discs at the front and a 240 mm disc and 2-piston caliper setup at the rear. It is expected to get Bosch cornering ABS that has a Supermoto mode and can be disengaged altogether.

Source: Rushlane

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 9th September 2019 at 16:23.
TusharK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 16:33   #18
Team-BHP Support

Anyone had a test ride?

A friend from Street triple group who was actively considering the bike, dropped the plan due to excessive engine heat in city, tall seat height and oh its just another duke 390 looks
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 12:14   #19
BHPian

Came across this article on ADVRider: https://advrider.com/looks-like-that...s-coming-soon/

So the current Duke 790 might get a Duke 890 R variant which might as well be Euro 6/BS VI compliant - if the grapevine whispers are to be believed?

So a BS IV Duke 790 CBU at 8.5 lacs and a BS VI Duke 890 R CBU at 10.5 lacs to take on the Striple RS (whose price may increase post BS VI)?

I don't think the Duke 890 R is going to appeal to the wallet over the Triumph Street Triple RS - the Striple RS is a peace-of-mind purchase with Triumph's brand well established in India in the big-bike segment.

And the Duke 790 at it's rumored 8.5 lac ex-showroom pricing is in no man's land, due to:
1. CBU
2. Bodywork/graphics being too similar to the Duke 390 - although, they have done away with the orange alloys
3. Parallel twin engine vs 3/4 cylinder engine offerings of competitors at a lower/comparable price point
4. New to the higher capacity segment in India (reliability of bikes in Indian conditions and quality of service/maintenance needs assessment)

If one wanted exclusivity, the MT09 SP is a much better purchase in this segment

One can only hope that KTM India takes cognizance of the above aspects and prices the Duke 790 accordingly. If they try to ape Honda with their premium pricing, it could very well result in a dead-on-arrival situation..

Last edited by GoBlue : 10th September 2019 at 12:37.
GoBlue is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 12:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Anyone had a test ride?

A friend from Street triple group who was actively considering the bike, dropped the plan due to excessive engine heat in city, tall seat height and oh its just another duke 390 looks
For 10.5 Lakh's those are big disadvantages. Good KTM is bringing only 100, it'll still sell out for it's exclusivity.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 13:05   #21
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Could it be that the 100 bikes that are coming to India are part of unsold lot Euro IV (BS IV) motorcycles which they plan to clear before BS VI kicks in next year?

Somehow I do not trust any manufacturer to sell anything exclusive (without a hidden agenda).
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 13:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Could it be that the 100 bikes that are coming to India are part of unsold lot Euro IV (BS IV) motorcycles which they plan to clear before BS VI kicks in next year?

Somehow I do not trust any manufacturer to sell anything exclusive (without a hidden agenda).
That is a probable scenario.

Although, Honda brought in just one batch of 150-200 units of the CBR650R and all were sold out. The reason floating around was that the world-wide demand for the bike was on the higher side leading to lesser units made available for India sales.

However, I don't see that possibility with the KTM. It's simply not an established player in the big-bike segment here, with so many options available.

Also, with the 890 engine confirmed to be under development, there may be many fence sitters (to add to the Euro 6 / BS VI ones) which may have resulted in higher-than-anticipated unsold inventory. September 2019 is just that little bit closer to the BS VI deadline in my opinion. Not worth buying a BS IV bike so close to the deadline, unless juicy deals are on offer.
Old 10th September 2019, 14:00   #23
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
That is a probable scenario.

Although, Honda brought in just one batch of 150-200 units of the CBR650R and all were sold out. The reason floating around was that the world-wide demand for the bike was on the higher side leading to lesser units made available for India sales.

However, I don't see that possibility with the KTM. It's simply not an established player in the big-bike segment here, with so many options available.

Also, with the 890 engine confirmed to be under development, there may be many fence sitters (to add to the Euro 6 / BS VI ones) which may have resulted in higher-than-anticipated unsold inventory. September 2019 is just that little bit closer to the BS VI deadline in my opinion. Not worth buying a BS IV bike so close to the deadline, unless juicy deals are on offer.

Agree - although its a tech-loaded motorcycle, a couple of things are not in favour of the 790.
  • Looks - very much like the Duke 390 - very plain jane compared to others in the market (MT-09, Z900, Street Triple)
  • Heating Issues - With the 390 heating so much - I am sure the 790 will need to wear a fireman's suit.
  • High Price (CBU) - Initial rumors indicated a Ex-Showroom / OTR price very close to the Versys 650.

I am now wondering how the 390/790 Adv will be priced. The 390 pricing may be competitive since it will be manufactured here. But the 790 Adv, I am sure, will be priced very close to the Tiger.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 18:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post

This is exactly what a dealer told me when I reached out to him upon hearing the news. He said he didn't opt for it and would wait for the newer ones to get launched .
Old 12th September 2019, 11:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Looks like perfect tool for someone who wants to commute on a superbike Best sleeper bike on sale.

Rear shock being too stiff is a surprise though, its a street bike at the end of the day!
Old 15th September 2019, 19:57   #26
BHPian

Looks like it's going to be around 11 lakhs OTR in Bangalore. I think that at that price I'd prefer the Striple RS. Hopefully I can take the plunge before BSVI and the usual price hike.
Old 17th September 2019, 10:46   #27
BHPian

Looks like KTM 790 Duke will be launched in India on 23 September!

Reports claim the following:

- KTM 790 Duke will be priced around Rs 8.5 lakhs to Rs 9 lakhs

- Will be assembled at Bajaj’s manufacturing facility in Chakan

- To compete against the Triumph Street Triple S and RS versions
nishkamm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 10:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

The launch dates are here https://auto.ndtv.com/news/ktm-790-d...ome-topstories

I would have loved to have this but for the price which at 10L is a tad too high for a bare bones.

But am quite excited to take a test ride and see how she behaves. May be, who knows, I may fall in love, hook line and sinker!
Old 17th September 2019, 13:39   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The launch dates are here https://auto.ndtv.com/news/ktm-790-d...ome-topstories

I would have loved to have this but for the price which at 10L is a tad too high for a bare bones.

But am quite excited to take a test ride and see how she behaves. May be, who knows, I may fall in love, hook line and sinker!
Except looking strikingly familiar to Duke 390, i am not sure how this bike is anyway a barebone.

103 BHP
87 NM Torque
Just 169 Kg
185 mm GC, a boon in India. My Ninja 650 at 130mm scrapes footpaths so easily.
TFT Dashboard
LED lights
Quickshifter (Up and Down)
Ride Modes
Cornering ABS

Not sure whjat else could have KTM added to this bike

Edit: At this price point.

Last edited by AtheK : 17th September 2019 at 13:58.
AtheK is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 13:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post

Not sure whjat else could have KTM added to this bike
Just because you triggered a thought by asking us what all could KTM have added -

0. A very big and wide stock wind-screen
1. Cruise Control
2. A side-exhaust as an option (stock exhaust could make a pillion's life miserable)
3. Heated grips
4. Heated seat
5. Engine braking control - multiple settings to change the behaviour
6. A lower height seat option OR a height-adjustable stock seat
7. A lowered suspension model - 150 mm GC could very well be the sweet spot for seat height for an average height of Indians

Do note, this is a wish-list. I am in no way opining that the current list of features is insufficient.

Last edited by GoBlue : 17th September 2019 at 13:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks