Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2019, 22:04   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
......and write like a teenage girl meeting her bollywood star, for every single motorcycle. Every single review will have stuff like "its a special bike" "pulls your heart strings" "too much power"

For superbike reviews, my go-to are MCN, Visordown and Motorcycle.com
You actually just stole the words in my mind and mouth

"This is the dream bike that India was waiting for." is what you will hear/read in 99% of the reviews these days

I find Motorcycle.com (the website content/reports and not the videos) to be quite well in terms of details.
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 10:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
I recently sold my CBR250R and want to upgrade to a middle weight motorcycle.
In my opinion, for a bike upgrade, it's better to look at bike from different manufacturer than previous bike. Plus, appearance wise CBR650R mayn't look as an upgrade.
Old 20th June 2019, 11:41   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
I dont think Indian reviews of superbikes are reliable.
All of the reviews seem to be a little overwhelmed, and write like a teenage girl meeting her bollywood star, for every single motorcycle. Every single review will have stuff like "its a special bike" "pulls your heart strings" "too much power"

For superbike reviews, my go-to are MCN, Visordown and Motorcycle.com
Well, I pretty much like Shubhabrata's and Kartikeya's bike reviews. Shubhabrata is to the point, talks business and very knowledgeable. I don't know about others but Shubhabrata's bike review is worth watching. No reviewer reviewed bikes like Sagar Sheldekar from PD did.

Plus I think they bring in desi factors in the review like GC for Indian road conditions, suspension on bad roads, petrol octane ratings, comparisons with bikes available in India market etc.
I do watch Motorcycle.com reviews but somehow can't connect with any of the reviewers.
Old 20th June 2019, 13:07   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

In terms of international reviewers, I have 3 favourites, each bring different flavours to the table.

- 44 teeth
- Motorcyclist Online (until recently only as Zach and Ari have now left, however their old stuff is golden)

- Missenden Flyer

I used to like MCN as well until they announced the lowest powered and slowest Honda CBR1000RR as the winner of their annual superbike test a few years ago. That was brutal and showed them in poor light. They got buried by viewers and their peers alike.
Old 20th June 2019, 15:12   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
In my opinion, for a bike upgrade, it's better to look at bike from different manufacturer than previous bike. Plus, appearance wise CBR650R mayn't look as an upgrade.
650R is leagues ahead of 250R, just in looks department, not even talking performance here. Honestly, it is one of the best looking bikes in India right now. I also find it extremely practical, only problem is the committed seating position, if you are comfortable with that, this is one of the bikes to get in the market right now.

Last edited by AtheK : 20th June 2019 at 15:22.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 15:18   #36
Team-BHP Support

Hearing the new CBR650R scrapes underbelly easily without a pillion itself. And very difficult with pillion.

Checked the GC now and it's 132mm.

Has it always been this low? Or a change made for the new generation?
Old 20th June 2019, 17:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Hearing the new CBR650R scrapes underbelly easily without a pillion itself. And very difficult with pillion.

It has been 130 mm with the CBR 650F. I guess the pre-load setting might be the culprit. If Honda claims that 650R is more sportier than 650F, then I assume that the springs must be stiffer with the former. Even other wise, tweaking pre-load should help.
Old 20th June 2019, 21:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

It has been the same, no change. Needs to be stiffened couple of clicks.
Old 25th June 2019, 10:06   #39
r.K
BHPian

Amongst the 650R, Z900 and GSX-S750, which would be better for daily use/weekend rides/occasional pillion ride? I understand that the Z is the most powerful of them all, but does not have any electronic aids. Slipper clutch can be added to the gsx as an accessory.

How is the used market for these bikes?

Also I live in Bangalore, but from Chennai. I would save at least 50k if I buy the bike from Chennai, which I would spend on gear. Are other state superbikes constantly harassed by traffic police?
Old 26th June 2019, 01:12   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.K View Post
You can find the Z900 in the used market - especially in Bangalore, but no chance of finding the others so soon!

Quote:
Amongst the 650R, Z900 and GSX-S750, which would be better for daily use/weekend rides/occasional pillion ride?
Did you try all these bikes? (Except the Honda of course as no TD bikes are available yet).

I would suggest the Z900 if daily use comes in the picture as well - for its comfortable riding position. "Like a big FZ with an inline4 engine" was my exact reaction after a test ride.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 10:44   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Amongst the 650R, Z900 and GSX-S750, which would be better for daily use/weekend rides/occasional pillion ride? I understand that the Z is the most powerful of them all, but does not have any electronic aids. Slipper clutch can be added to the gsx as an accessory.

Also I live in Bangalore, but from Chennai. I would save at least 50k if I buy the bike from Chennai, which I would spend on gear. Are other state superbikes constantly harassed by traffic police?
Each of the bikes has different strengths and to some extent, a few minor weaknesses. There is no right one answer fits all answer to your question as what works for me may not exactly work for you. On paper, the GSX S750 would probably be the best suited to your requirements as it comes with a more upright seating position, multi level TC and low RPM assist and a few more goodies. The trade off is a heavier clutch which might take the fun out of daily commuting to some extent. But as an all rounder its probably your best bet. TBHPian GoBlue has done a great job with his new thread.

The Honda gives you a slipper clutch and traction control and arguably the best looks among the three. Also low service costs and ownership experience is the best among your options. The sporty riding position for daily rides is something to be checked though.

The Kawasaki Z900 is easy to ride in the city and is super smooth as well. But the lack of electronic aids and issues that owners are facing in Kerala due to usage of regular fuel (you can find these articulated on Xbhp and the local dealership has confirmed these issues are present) are things to keep in mind.
Old 26th June 2019, 11:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Amongst the 650R, Z900 and GSX-S750, which would be better for daily use/weekend rides/occasional pillion ride? I understand that the Z is the most powerful of them all, but does not have any electronic aids.
As Crazy Driver mentioned, please do ride all 3 bikes on the routes which you commute on daily. Try to take the test ride on a working day when there's peak traffic - that would give you a real-world idea of which bike works better for you. All 3 bikes have more than enough power to be used for daily commuting/weekend rides - however neither of them would be able to provide sufficient pillion comfort (relatively speaking when compared with say, the Triumph Street Twin). The CBR-650R may be better at accommodating a pillion than the Z900 or the GSX-S750. The street nakeds offer excellent handling and rider ergos at the cost of pillion comfort.

In my opinion, if you are looking at pillion comfort as a priority the bikes which you have mentioned won't satisfy. In that case, you may want to look at other options like the Triumph Street Twin or the Ducati Scrambler range or even the Kawasaki Z650 - they provide a decent pillion seating position/comfort for short city rides/weekend rides.

Quote:
Slipper clutch can be added to the gsx as an accessory.
The GSX-S750 has a cable operated clutch. A slip and assist clutch requires components which are an integral part of the clutch assembly. I wonder if it may be feasible to be added as an accessory or to be retro-fitted to a bike which has a cable operated clutch.

Can you share a reference/link of the component which you mentioned can be added as an accessory - to convert a cable operated clutch to a slip and assist clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
On paper, the GSX S750 would probably be the best suited to your requirements as it comes with a more upright seating position, multi level TC and low RPM assist and a few more goodies. The trade off is a heavier clutch which might take the fun out of daily commuting to some extent.
Thanks for highlighting this drawback, Neil.

The GSX-S750 does have a heavy clutch, and it bothered me a lot when riding - however, only in B2B traffic. In all other situations (open city roads, highway etc.) the clutch lever effort is a non-issue.
However, I have chosen to work around this and have installed the easy-clutch system from Pro-spec, Bangalore. Post the installation, the clutch lever effort required is even lesser than that on the Z900 (which has a superbly weighted assist clutch)! This makes the clutch very easy to manage in 1st gear riding when in B2B traffic, and coupled with the Low RPM Assist makes for a easy city commuting experience.

PS: I have no affiliation with Pro-spec, Bangalore. Sharing my experience as a satisfied customer.

Last edited by GoBlue : 26th June 2019 at 12:08.
GoBlue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 23:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

Has Honda begun bookings for 2020 model or have they not updated website from last year?

It says "Bookings Open"

https://honda2wheelersindia.com/cbr650r/
Old 17th May 2020, 00:05   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Has Honda begun bookings for 2020 model or have they not updated website from last year?

It says "Bookings Open"
It has been there since the launch
Old 17th May 2020, 00:09   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post

It says "Bookings Open"

https://honda2wheelersindia.com/cbr650r/
The big bikes are generally not properly updated on the regular website. You need to check the BigWing website for 300R and above -

https://www.hondabigwing.in/

As per their Instagram page, the upcoming bikes will be announced soon after the lockdown - and we could also be getting the mean new CBR 1000RR-R.

Honda CBR650R launched at Rs. 7.70 lakh-screenshot_20200517000741_instagram.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks