Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2018, 11:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW Motorrad offering 3 years / unlimited km warranty & 5-year extended warranty

BMW Motorrad India has introduced a standard warranty of 3 years / unlimited km on all its motorcycles, except for the HP4 Race model.

BMW Motorrad offering 3 years / unlimited km warranty & 5-year extended warranty-bmw-s-1000-r-bmw-s-1000-rr.jpg

The standard warranty is included in the ex-showroom price of the motorcycle. Customers who have purchased a BMW bike between April 1, 2017 and July 17, 2018 can convert their existing warranty to 3 years / unlimited km at an additional cost. BMW Motorrad is also offering 4 and 5 years extended warranty packages.

The standard warranty covers service costs for drivetrain, electricals and other integral components of the bike.

BMW Motorrad currently has a total of 15 models on sale in India. The bike maker recently launched the entry-level G 310 R and G 310 GS in the Indian market.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 13:11   #2
BHPian

re: BMW Motorrad offering 3 years / unlimited km warranty & 5-year extended warranty

Thanks for sharing this. Called up BMW for my R12GS. The prices are not out yet but they will be very soon. Certainly worth getting it, if its for 5 years! Its at par with cars then. This will greatly help with keeping the (already high) resale value of the GS; not that I intend to sell it.
nitrogary is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 05:05   #3
BHPian

Hi
Got these for GSA 1200
3rd year Warranty 15000
4th year warranty 15,000+13,500
5th year warranty 15,000+25,500
I am happy with only the third year. No plans to sell the bike but most cases of warranty claim I've come across outside India are up to & around 3 years, when actually the machine has run the stipulated running hours. I might be wrong.
joybird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 08:40   #4
BHPian

Re: BMW Motorrad offering 3 years / unlimited km warranty & 5-year extended warranty

Not sure what you mean by stipulated running hours. The warranty is for unlimited kms for 5 years and the terms do not state anything about running hours (engine run time or on time; both of which are displayed by the on board computer)

I took the plunge and bought the extended warranty up to 5th year of ownership. So until May 2023, the bike is covered for whatever kms it is run. Very stress free. It costed about 41k. Catch is that I will have to service it at Motorrad for the next 5 years too. Was planning to do it at home in the coming years, but I guess that wont be needed.
nitrogary is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 04:17   #5
BHPian

Touring bikes average around 5000-6000 miles per year. On this basis issues with engine running parts being reported happen in first 3 years. If the bike is maintained well then the problems are less compared to a badly ridden bike.
Yes the extended warranty means to maintain service from authorised outlets. I thought of getting Akra slip on from Europe but Motorrad replied that it might void the warranty. I am not sure how as Akra slip on are specific for the GS. If I buy using the part number from any Akra store authorised to sell them and get it installed at the Motorrad then it should be ok.
Still in two minds about this
Old 4th September 2018, 15:27   #6
BHPian

Re: BMW Motorrad offering 3 years / unlimited km warranty & 5-year extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post
Touring bikes average around 5000-6000 miles per year. On this basis issues with engine running parts being reported happen in first 3 years. If the bike is maintained well then the problems are less compared to a badly ridden bike.
Yes the extended warranty means to maintain service from authorised outlets. I thought of getting Akra slip on from Europe but Motorrad replied that it might void the warranty. I am not sure how as Akra slip on are specific for the GS. If I buy using the part number from any Akra store authorised to sell them and get it installed at the Motorrad then it should be ok.
Still in two minds about this
When I asked Motorrad, they said as long as the installation is done from them, the warranty wont get void. The money saved by buying parts from overseas is very real. I was told that the Akrapovic for the GS will cost 1.5 lacs here. Its available for roughly 1000 dollars on Revzilla - about half the price.

In general, the Motorrad warranty scene is hazy at the moment - maybe its a communication thing. There are quite a few bikes which are doing 15000 to 20000 km per year. So there is indeed value in buying the warranty.
Old 4th September 2018, 20:10   #7
BHPian

Yes...I've been Quoted around 1.25 for the Akra slip on. The firm which is India distributor for Akra and also supplies it to Motorrad sells it much cheaper than Motorrad. They would probably sell it for under 1L
Old 25th March 2019, 08:40   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Not sure what you mean by stipulated running hours. The warranty is for unlimited kms for 5 years and the terms do not state anything about running hours (engine run time or on time; both of which are displayed by the on board computer)
I happened to talk to the Pune dealer and it seems that we can no longer avail the benefits of extended warranty on motorcycles purchased between April 1, 2017 and July 17, 2018.

Did they have some kind of a time limit before one could purchase it?

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th March 2019 at 12:37.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 15:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I happened to talk to the Pune dealer and it seems that we can no longer avail the benefits of extended warranty on motorcycles purchased between April 1, 2017 and July 17, 2018.

Did they have some kind of a time limit before one could purchase it?
Yes, I believe the extended warranty offer was valid till 31 August 2018. I suppose vehicles bought on 1st April 2017 will be 2 years old and will start running out of warranty.

I would be pretty worried to have a bike with so much electronics out of warranty so early in the ownership.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks