Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2017, 12:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs

Triumph might introduce the Street Scrambler in India on August 24, 2017. The Street Scrambler is designed for on and off-road use. It is based on the Street Twin but gets a revised chassis. The riding position has been altered and the handle bars are taller and wider. It gets a high-mounted side exhaust, metal bash plate to protect the engine from impacts and 19-inch front and 17-inch rear wire-spoke wheels. The bike rides on Metzeler Touranace tyres designed specifically for tarmac and dirt riding.

The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-streetscrambler3.jpg

In terms of dimensions, the bikes measures 831 mm in width and 1,120 mm in height. The seat height is 790 mm while the wheelbase is 1,446 mm. It weighs 206 kg dry and has a fuel tank capacity of 12 litres.

The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-streetscrambler1.jpg

It shares its 900cc parallel-twin cylinder engine with the Street Twin. The air and water-cooled engine delivers 54 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 80 Nm @ 2,850 rpm and is mated to a 5-speed gearbox with torque assist clutch. It gets a ride-by-wire throttle and switchable ABS and traction control.

The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-streetscrambler2.jpg

The Street Scrambler uses 41 mm KYB cartridge forks in the front and twin-shocks with adjustable preload at the rear with 120 mm of travel at both ends. Braking duties are handled by a single 310 mm disc at the front and 255 mm disc at the rear. The front and rear discs get Nissin 2-piston floating calipers.

The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-streetscrambler4.jpg

The Triumph Street Scrambler will take on the recently launched Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled in the Indian market.

Source: Autocar

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 17th August 2017 at 12:48.
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 15:10   #2
BHPian

re: The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs

I hope Triumph have tested the practicality of high mount exhaust set up for Indian weather conditions. And why all the models in the pictures are riding in the standing position? Hope not due to high exhaust set up
srivatsahg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 21:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why the 1lac premium over the regular bonnie? should command that much premium over t100?
Old 21st August 2017, 13:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post
I hope Triumph have tested the practicality of high mount exhaust set up for Indian weather conditions. And why all the models in the pictures are riding in the standing position? Hope not due to high exhaust set up
I'd also be interested to see how those high pipes handle Indian summers. I have the older 865cc Triumph Scrambler and I can feel the heat of the high pipes at times, but it never gets to a point where I'm burning my leg. Those heat shields seem to do their work. Then again I live up in the mountains so don't have to deal with the months & months long searing summer heat of the Indian plains.

The original scramblers came to being during the 1960s in the southwestern deserts of the US - those places get pretty darned hot too, yet the higher pipes design (ground clearance) was adopted by many back then. There's an annual event called Scram Africa, where people ride classic and retro bikes from Europe through the Sahara desert of North Africa. Amongst the usual older 1970s and 80s era BMWs, modern Triumph Bonnevilles are the steed of choice with a large number of these riders - the high-pipe Scrambler version being a common sight. These bikes are ridden for weeks at an end through the hot Sahara desert, high-pipes and all.

Triumph has been selling these high-pipe Scramblers all over the world for over a decade now (of course with the now-old 865cc air-cooled engine), including in many hot-weather countries. They seem to have held up there. Hope these new-generation Scramblers continue to do so.

As for stand-up riding, that's a way to make for easier riding in off-road conditions. I do it on my Tiger as well as my Scrambler. The Tiger is set up for this with higher handlebars while the Scrambler just has an after-market moto bars. This makes standing up riding easier on the Tiger than the Scrambler. Nonetheless, over bad roads, dirt roads, etc, in certain situations, standing up (once you get used to it) makes things easier as you are not getting jolted over every bump on the road, you're also controlling the bike with your knees (on tank) as well as your hands and feet, and with you up, flexible, directing the bike with your entire body, the bike also becomes more flexible and agile under you, able to react to unpredictable surfaces better. Of course, as situation demands, you have to sit down and use your legs to counterbalance, bounce off the ground as well ... Needs practice though and I'm nowhere close to average!

Pics: 1.) My Scrambler in Bhutan winter. 2.) A Triumph Scrambler in the North African desert during Scram Africa. 3.) a customised 1970s era BMW with high-pipes in Scram Africa, rider wearing shorts!
Attached Thumbnails
The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-img_8233.jpg  

The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-scramafrica.jpg  

The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-scram-africa-bmw.jpg  

grplr02 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 08:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grplr02 View Post
I have the older 865cc Triumph Scrambler and I can feel the heat of the high pipes at times, but it never gets to a point where I'm burning my leg. Those heat shields seem to do their work.!
Thanks for the information Buddy. That was mentioned as a passing pun. I'm aware of the standing position comforts you for easier riding in off-road conditions but these models were doing that on a plain surface in the pictures. And I have seen my friends here in India complaining about their legs taking a toll from the enormous amount of engine heat after buying so called "Cool" superbikes in the maddening traffic.
srivatsahg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 10:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post
Thanks for the information Buddy. That was mentioned as a passing pun. I'm aware of the standing position comforts you for easier riding in off-road conditions but these models were doing that on a plain surface in the pictures. And I have seen my friends here in India complaining about their legs taking a toll from the enormous amount of engine heat after buying so called "Cool" superbikes in the maddening traffic.
Aha, LOL! Sorry 'bout that, got all pedantic about it. Been asked one too many times why I was standing up and riding. A friend even got stopped by a traffic cop one day and told to sit down and ride his BMW GS when he stood up to cross a potholed broken section of a town road!

The hip models in the pic being all "look at me I'm riding off road!" I guess

As for big bikes' engine heat in crawling traffic, I hear ya - I used to ride a 30-yr old BMW tourer around New York City, and boy, that machine was not a happy camper inching around clogged streets in 1st or 2nd gear, especially during the hot, muggy summer months! Made that mistake again recently - took my Tiger out for my commute to work as I hadn't ridden it for a while. Even in our little Himalayan town, vehicle population has grown in the last few years and my Tiger was soon well & truly hot with the fan whirring all out as we crawled uphill & downhill behind rush hour traffic! I'm tempted to just get a 350cc RE Bullet for daily commuting duties and keep the bigger machines for touring and weekend long rides.
grplr02 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 21:48   #7
BHPian

Guys,

Owned a 865 Scrambler the first one in the UAE and believe me the Scrambler served me well even with temperatures hovering at 48 Deg Cel. The Heat from the up-swept pipes were never a problem. Even wife sitting pillion never complained about it.

The Scrambler is one sturdy and overbuilt motorcycle. Sold it to a close friend and moved on.

Currently own a BMW GS1200 and I used to stand and ride the pegs of the Scrambler and currently on the GS, once you get used to it is fun, especially off road.

I've had major problems with the heat coming of the exhaust pipe in traffic from HDs and even the Indian Scout.

BB
Britishbangers is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 16:47   #8
BHPian

Triumph Street Scrambler Launched in India, Priced Rs 8.1 Lakh

Quote:
Key highlights of the all-new Triumph Scrambler are provided below
  • Interchangeable pillion seat and aluminium rear rack as standard
  • Removable pillion pegs and hangers
  • Steel high grip ‘Bear Trap’ adventure style front foot pegs
  • All terrain style bash plate
  • Ribbed Alcantara-style twin seat with contrast stitching and Triumph embossed logo
  • Aluminium headlight bracket and black headlight bezel
  • Distinctive competition inspired number-board side panel
  • New front mudguard mounts to suit the larger wheel
  • Unique detailed dual compound rubber knee pads for enhanced grip
  • New contemporary mirrors
  • Details include unique gun-metal finish engine badges, real brushed aluminium tank logo decals and black headlight bezel
  • Available in three paint schemes – Jet Black, Matt Khaki Green and Korosi Red and Frozen Silver with jet black hand painted coach lining and unique tank decals
In addition to the features mentioned above, the Street Scrambler also gets LED rear lights, engine immobilizer and a USB charging socker underneath the seat. The instrument console of the new Triumph Street Scrambler gets the following features
  • Rev counter
  • Gear position indicator
  • Odometer
  • Two trip settings
  • Service indicator
  • Range to empty
  • Fuel level
  • Average and current fuel consumption
  • Clock
  • Traction control settings
Personalization
The new Street Scrambler has more than 150 accessories to deliver more rugged off road focus, more style and more everyday usability. The off-road accessories include, adjustable rear piggy back FOX shocks with threaded pre-load adjustment and 24 position compression damping, black glass-filled nylon headlight grill with a pressed steel matt black finish bezel, and a forged and machined aluminium handlebar brace in a black anodised finish (fitted with a stylish black or brown vinyl bar pad embroidered with the Triumph logo).
For even more style the accessories range include slip on Vance and Hines single exit silencers, a traditional scrambler twin bench seat and 70mm diameter bar end peep mirrors in anodised black or clear aluminium with a laser etched Triumph logo.
For everyday usability, there are internally wired heated grips available along with a steel fabricated centre stand kit, an auxiliary power socket and cockpit mounting kit and highly durable engine bars.

Source: Motoroids

Last edited by Nicky : 24th August 2017 at 16:49.
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 16:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Triumph Street Scrambler launched at Rs. 8.10 lakh

Triumph has launched the Street Scrambler in India at price of at Rs. 8.10 lakh (ex-showroom, India). The retro-style, naked bike is available in three colours - Jet Black, Matt Khaki Green and Korosi Red & Frozen Silver with jet black hand painted coach lining and tank decals.

The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-img_0096.jpg

The Street Scrambler is based on the Street Twin, but gets a tweaked chassis. It comes with wider handle bars and a lower seat (790 mm) resulting in a more upright riding position. The bike measures 831 mm in width, 1,120 mm in height and has a wheelbase of 1,446 mm. It weighs 206 kg dry and has a fuel tank capacity of 12 litres. The bike comes with a 41 m KYB fork suspension at the front and twin KYB shock absorbers at the rear.

The bike features minimal bodywork, an interchangeable pillion seat, aluminium rear rack, removable pillion pegs and hangers, toothed front pegs for better grip and a bash plate. The Street Scrambler also gets twin-barrel, high-mounted side exhausts, an LED tail lamp, and a single-pod instrument cluster with a digital readout and analogue tachometer.

The Street Scrambler uses the same 900cc, 8-valve, SOHC, parallel-twin cylinder engine that powers the Street Twin, albeit in a slightly different state of tune. The liquid-cooled engine delivers 54 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 80 Nm @ 2,850 rpm. The motor is paired with a 5-speed transmission with a torque assist clutch. It features a ride-by-wire throttle, switchable ABS and traction control.

The bike comes with 19-inc and 17-inch wire-spoke at the front and rear respectively shod with Metzeler Tourance tyres. It uses the same brake setup as the Street Twin with a single 310 mm front disc paired with a Nissin two-piston calliper and a 255 mm rear disc.

The Street Scrambler has a service interval of 16,000 km.
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 19:38   #10
BHPian

Re: The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs

Does the Indian version has a difference state of engine tune when compared to the one sold internationally? The power and torque figures listed in their website shown do not match any of the India media reviews including Team-Bhp? Detuned to compensate poor fuel quality?
Old 24th September 2017, 22:39   #11
BHPian

Test rode the scrambler among other Bonnies and Tiger and HD and thoroughly enjoyed riding the scrambler the most. Mustered the courage and booked the bike. I was assured of delivery at the time of booking of 20 days which has become 2 months now . Apparently Triumph India doesn’t have bikes themselves. It has played spoil sport big time. Now I wonder what happens in the next 2 months. Any thoughts or views to speeden things up, pls do let me know. Thanks
Alisiddiqui is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 02:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs

Sharing a few pictures shot by a friend of the scrambler here in Hyderabad. Triumph has done a stellar job with this one and the photographer has captured it equally well!
More here: http://adilsphotography.in/

The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1506718077.348210.jpg
The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1506718095.800128.jpg
The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1506718112.091159.jpg
The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1506718126.335886.jpg

Last edited by shyn : 30th September 2017 at 02:21.
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 14:00   #13
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Last week, I got a chance to ride the Triumph Street Scrambler in Pune for a distance of about 12 kms. Although the motorcycle has certain limitations, but still it is very impressive !

Below are some of my observations :
  • Street-cred. Although it looks very similar to any other Bonneville range of bikes but the meaty tyres, raised exhaust muffler give it a certain character which is not present in many other bikes.
  • The low-end torque is significant. It would be a pleasure to ride this motorcycle over ruts and on trails or over slush-fields.
  • It is almost as good as a Triumph Tiger when it comes to abilities, being lighter only adds to the fun.
  • Very comfortable seats and riding position even for my 6-foot-plus 100-kg-plus frame.
  • Spoke Wheels will give the confidence to push the motorcycle over unknown terrains/trails with more enthusiasm.
  • Although the exhaust muffler is set high, I didn't feel the heat on my right leg. I feel its just a matter of getting used to this position. The low seat height means one can always ground his/her feet without touching the exhaust.
  • The exhaust could be a pain for a pillion-rider as the Heat Shield is not extended till the rear seat.
  • It will be difficult to mount saddlebags or panniers with the high-set exhaust, a Top-Box is the best bet.
  • The sump guard is a plastic/fibre part, wish it was a metal part.
  • The tyres are tube-type, fixing punctures would be a pain during longer rides or while touring across the Himalayas.
  • I wish, although its nothing but nitpicking, but I wish the suspension had more travel like the Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled. That would have added to the fun.
  • Overall, I felt that the Street Scrambler is a fun-to-ride motorcycle that can do serious off-roading too. However, certain modifications have to be made to make it more touring-friendly.
Attached Thumbnails
The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-img_4041.jpg  

The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-img_4036.jpg  

The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-img_4037.jpg  

The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-img_4045.jpg  

The Triumph Street Scrambler. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 8.1 lakhs-img_4039.jpg  

//M is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 01:18   #14
BHPian

Owners any yet? I would love to know how different is the handling and ride quality as compared regular bonnevilles, especially the older Bonnie SEs whose handling prowess was so impressive.
Of course the ride quality would be better owing not just to the better suspensions but also due to better chassis. If any SE owners would compare then it would be helpful to decide on saving money with a used SE or wait to stack up for a scrambler. Worth it?
And also the seating position. The SE had a great balance in seating, something the newer street twins seemed to miss a bit. Scrambler with a high and wide handlebars usually are a bit different for sure.
Worth it?!

Last edited by FasterSon : 29th January 2018 at 01:22.
Old 27th October 2018, 11:55   #15
BHPian

Any owners on TBhp? I am seriously considering the Street Scrambler as next upgrade over D390.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks