Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2016, 13:39   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Sorry to say. But no matter whatever you try, it will still sound like a single cylinder engine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I don't think there is any exhaust that will improve the sound of the the 650. It'll just make it more louder than it actually is. I too hate the sound of the 650 || twin...I feel it sounds like a Tata Ace.

Check for after market options on the web and go through YouTube to hear the sound. I did the same when I finalised on the HP Corse. Took me around 4 months to finalise it.
Well, I'm not saying that I'm desperate to change how the bike sounds. For me how the bike sounds is an "added bonus" and not the end of the world

What is important is smoothness and vibration free engine. And, V650 checks both these parameters

After my Bonnie exhaust fiasco, not in a hurry to change the sound of stock exhaust. Infact, I might not change anything at all as at highway speeds it really does not matter. And, who knows I might start liking it as we go along!!!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 14:46   #572
Senior - BHPian

I think we as riders community should get together and start a movement for the speed limit set by the government and discrimination against two wheelers. I mean a top limit of 50kmph is just too less especially considering current range of bikes and general improvement in road infra.

Yes yes! i did get a speeding ticket a while back hence the rant. Was doing 70 kmph (mods please delete if this is dangerous speed) under the electronic city flyover and got flashed, max limit being 50kmpl for two wheelers and 70 for cars. Either have lane based limits (which is international rule) or have same limit for cars and bikes.

Sorry for the OT, but seriously we should try and raise this issue.

Coming back to Versys, the vibration from the console is back (not as pronounced as the first time) at certain RPM. There is very high pitch vibration at the tank as well at around 4k rpm. Whats worrying me is the minor sweating of engine oil from the right side where the head meets the block. Hope this is not a big concern. I am still around 500 kms away from first service.
Old 2nd March 2016, 15:34   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I mean a top limit of 50kmph is just too less especially considering current range of bikes and general improvement in road infra.

Yes yes! i did get a speeding ticket a while back hence the rant. Was doing 70 kmph (mods please delete if this is dangerous speed) under the electronic city flyover and got flashed, max limit being 50kmpl for two wheelers and 70 for cars. Either have lane based limits (which is international rule) or have same limit for cars and bikes.

Sorry for the OT, but seriously we should try and raise this issue
Allow me to make you feel worse. The speed limit for any 2 wheeler in the entire nation is 40 kmph

Want another kicker? The limit for trucks / lorries is ........... 45 kmph

In short, if I on my 2 wheeler am trying to get away from a lorry hell bent on running me over, I would be breaking the law

This law has actually been clarified even in the learner lisence questionairre. It reads as - under what circumstances can a two wheeler ride greater than 40 kmph?

Answer - none

Urban_Nomad is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 06:49   #574
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations

See you in Sikkim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Infact, I might not change anything at all as at highway speeds it really does not matter. And, who knows I might start liking it as we go along!!!
Keep it stock, keep it mint. I have had my shares of few upgrades, mods and have seen people doing a bit to their rides, but nothing like a stock ride, be it a car or a bike.

The only thing I would ever change is rubber, if required.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 07:35   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think we as riders community should get together and start a movement for the speed limit set by the government and discrimination against two wheelers. I mean a top limit of 50kmph is just too less especially considering current range of bikes and general improvement in road infra.
The city speed in most cities in developed nation like US is 25 or 35 MPH roughly converted to 40-70. And here is the kicker the highway speed in many states that are highly populated is 55MPH (88KMPH) and 65 in most states (104KMPH). Fun fact is there are so many R1s that does 0-100 MPH in the first gear and it has 6 full gears left. Just providing a perspective that most of these big bikes are rode illegally at speeds not set by the states. Texas has 85MPH highways which is the fastest road and most dangerous as well.

In most of our Indian Highways the posted limit is 80KMPH which is pretty decent considering its not a freeway, you will have people walking, crawling, sitting, sleeping and what not in our highways.

I think its perfectly fine that IT Express high way is limited to 50KMPH. And we know there is no specific upper limit in most of the highways outside cities. Lets hope we dont curse ourselves to end up getting highway patrol stopping us for riding over 100kmph outside city limits.

Quote:
the vibration from the console is back (not as pronounced as the first time) at certain RPM
Your best option is take your micro fiber cloth and place it in between the windshield and console. Highly functional to access the cloth for cleaning your bike at stop lights at the same time acts as a nice buffer to completely eliminate the vibrations. I have this in all my bike . Very high peace of mind to not worry about fixing something that is not fixable

Quote:
Whats worrying me is the minor sweating of engine oil from the right side where the head meets the block.
Any picture please?

Last edited by VW2010 : 3rd March 2016 at 07:40.
Old 3rd March 2016, 09:16   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Congratulations.See you in Sikkim?
Thanks. You live in Sikkim? I thought you were from Litti Choka country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Oh yeah! Me a big fan of good rubber. For all my cars, I immediately change the tyres as soon as I take it out of the showroom.

For bikes, these expensive ones come with decent tyres as stock like Bonnie had the Metzeler which was fantastic and Dunlops on V650 also seems to be very grippy. Will know better once I take it on off-road trails !!

Will stick to Dunlops for now and when its time to upgrade then will go for even better tyres.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 12:02   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your best option is take your micro fiber cloth and place it in between the windshield and console. Highly functional to access the cloth for cleaning your bike at stop lights at the same time acts as a nice buffer to completely eliminate the vibrations. I have this in all my bike . Very high peace of mind to not worry about fixing something that is not fixable
All my wiping clothes get stolen from that area for some reason.

Actually, its not the console to visor contact. The console plastic housing in nested into another outer plastic casing. Its the contact between these two which is causing the buzz. This morning, i took a piece of hard paper, folded it a couple of times, and inserted between these two, result was better. Could not hear any buzzing, could also be related to the high ambient morning traffic noise. Will get a better picture at night when the surrounding is relatively quieter.
Quote:
Any picture please?
will shoot and share.

Quote:
Keep it stock, keep it mint. I have had my shares of few upgrades, mods and have seen people doing a bit to their rides, but nothing like a stock ride, be it a car or a bike.

i have started believing in the same after fiddling with my C5 so much, that not even 50% of the bike was stock. Have kept the 390 almost stock except for a Fz visor and a pair of aux LEDs.

One area where i feel i WILL have to intervene on the versys is the seat. I feel the seat is slightly forward inclined and i keep shifting forward. Not just me, a lot of people on the international versys forums have complained of the same. Their simple solution is to increase the height of the holder where the front part of the seat gets hooked onto, by adding a few washers and using a longer bolt to compensate for the same. But this will further add to the seat height which anyways is an issue.
So i was thinking of shaving off the foam from the rear part of the rider seat area. This would even out the seat slope and would also reduce the seat height a bit. ++ for me. Just that i am a little reluctant to rip open the seat. Is there a way to order the OEM seat foam, or even a spare OEM seat? Any suggestions?

a DIY link which could be interesting to some:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ow-w-pics.html

Another observation: The ABS on the versys seems to engage much quicker compared to the 390. Press the bront brake a little hard and quick and can feel the ABS coming into action, the same is very difficult to achieve on the 390. Could this be related to the rubber and weight of the bike? Also, the pulsating feel on handle gives a feel that ABS system is more refined on the versys. Rear ABS is not very different from 390 where both can be engaged easily.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 3rd March 2016 at 12:12.
Old 3rd March 2016, 13:31   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Another observation: The ABS on the versys seems to engage much quicker compared to the 390. Press the bront brake a little hard and quick and can feel the ABS coming into action, the same is very difficult to achieve on the 390. Could this be related to the rubber and weight of the bike? Also, the pulsating feel on handle gives a feel that ABS system is more refined on the versys. Rear ABS is not very different from 390 where both can be engaged easily.
Are there any options for ABS settings? Any level based options? (Level 1, Level 2... etc?) If yes, try setting it to another level and see if the ABS is still sensitive as the earlier setting.

and talking of keeping microfiber cloth in the gap near the handle -- Dust of this whole world would sit on it and because of the nature of the cloth, it will be a dust / dirt magnet - i don't think we'd comfortable rubbing our gleaming machines with dirty cloth.

Secondly - not sure if it will stay there, human or natural forces could keep taking it away -- i mean wind at high speeds. The best place is to stuff one under the rear seat.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 13:36   #579
BHPian

Quote:

Coming back to Versys, the vibration from the console is back (
Nasir!
May i suggest a good pair of ear plugs. Plenty options available on amazon.
The console chatter is/has been there on the versys models.. Get used to it and use plugs. My ninja 650 has fairing buzz as well around 3000-4000ish rpm. You get used to it.

Cheers!
wolfy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 13:43   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nasir!
May i suggest a good pair of ear plugs. Plenty options available on amazon.
The console chatter is/has been there on the versys models.. Get used to it and use plugs. My ninja 650 has fairing buzz as well around 3000-4000ish rpm. You get used to it.
This is my first (sort of) faired bike
I am OK if the vibes comes from the fairing, but with the console, i am worried if the fasteners are loose or something. Not really big bother, just that it plays on mind sometimes.
Old 3rd March 2016, 21:52   #581
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks. You live in Sikkim? I thought you were from Litti Choka country
Litti choka isn't very far from the land of dragons & momos and porks and

Quote:
Will stick to Dunlops for now and when its time to upgrade then will go for even better tyres.
For a commuter bike like the CBR 250R, a pair of good rubber costs close to 10K, so it is an expensive indulgence but worth.

Please update on your discoveries with it, both on road and off it
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 23:24   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The city speed in most cities in developed nation like US is 25 or 35 MPH roughly converted to 40-70. And here is the kicker the highway speed in many states that are highly populated is 55MPH (88KMPH) and 65 in most states (104KMPH). Fun fact is there are so many R1s that does 0-100 MPH in the first gear and it has 6 full gears left. Just providing a perspective that most of these big bikes are rode illegally at speeds not set by the states. Texas has 85MPH highways which is the fastest road and most dangerous as well.

In most of our Indian Highways the posted limit is 80KMPH which is pretty decent considering its not a freeway, you will have people walking, crawling, sitting, sleeping and what not in our highways.
Highway / Street speed limit is not the problem posted by Nasirkaka

A highway in India could have a speed limit of 100 MPH or 10. The issue is - I, on my motorcycle, cannot legally ride over 40 KMPH. Cars can; and will zoom past me legally at 100 KPH (the official speed limit of the Greater Noida Highway) but I cannot do more than 40 on my 2 wheeler by law

Hope you got the predicament now

Mods - apologies for going OT. But Nasir bhai started it
Old 3rd March 2016, 23:59   #583
BHPian

Well for all of you complaining about speed limits for bikers, lets just console ourselves we are partly compensated by the fact that we don't pay tolls on most highways across the country. Personally for me the more bothersome part of the rule is the Supreme Court directive to suspend license for 3 months for over speeding THE VERY FIRST TIME YOU COMMIT THE OFFENCE. Most countries have a penalty point system or atleast suspend license after the second or third instance. I guess only Delhi has started implementing it as of now. Anyways if there is any thread running on this we can perhaps discuss the speed issue there.

Coming back to the Versys650, those new to hard sidecases also have to learn the fine act of navigating the ultra-thin space at toll booths for us freebie 2-wheelers
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 11:44   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

A small trivia :

My Versys 650 came in a crate that had VW labelled on it. I hope this hasn't rubbed off on Kawasaki adversely and they wont get into a "petrol gate" scam anytime soon

Caught by fellow BHPian (Raveendra) who was with me during the PDI

Now it's anybody's guess how and why the VW label is there on a motorcycle packaging crate
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_0625.jpg  

Old 4th March 2016, 12:16   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any picture please?
This is the sweating i was talking about. Something to worry? heard the kawasaki 650 twin is an unbreakable engine. Was not expecting this.
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-01.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks