Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2016, 09:06   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok now to tilt the tables again... Lol

It was after watching this review that I was sold on the versys... Coming from someone who used to ride a Honda vfr and was an actual everyday motorcyclist sealed it for me.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 09:37   #212
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

It was after watching this review that I was sold on the versys... Coming from someone who used to ride a Honda vfr and was an actual everyday motorcyclist sealed it for me.
Nice review. Thanks for sharing. The scale for me is leaning towards the 650 for its practicality as well. When it comes to taking it for long drives, I think we need the panniers and/or the top box, tank bags. I really love the side panniers and would love to get them with the bike. Price is very steep though. Has anyone come across any other options for the accessories?
Old 26th January 2016, 10:32   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabu View Post
I think we need the panniers and/or the top box, tank bags. I really love the side panniers and would love to get them with the bike. Price is very steep though. Has anyone come across any other options for the accessories?
The functionality and fit and finish of original/OE quality panniers and accessories will be unmatched in the long run. When you are investing 7~8Lacs in a premium bike, it is better to invest another 1 lac in quality accessories for long term peace of mind. Believe me, as I have tried fitting lower priced accessories in my premium bikes and have come out 'mostly' disappointed as they really look and feel out of place in these premium machines.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 10:52   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Am sure touratech will have some options, not that I have had a look at any...
Old 26th January 2016, 11:57   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The functionality and fit and finish of original/OE quality panniers and accessories will be unmatched in the long run. When you are investing 7~8Lacs in a premium bike, it is better to invest another 1 lac in quality accessories for long term peace of mind. Believe me, as I have tried fitting lower priced accessories in my premium bikes and have come out 'mostly' disappointed as they really look and feel out of place in these premium machines.

I agree that the quality of the original panniers would be better but here's why I may not opt for them, although I would have gladly paid up for the LT.

1) As @nasirkaka mentioned in a post, the accessories which raise the price of the 650LT by about a lakh in foreign markets, would cost double of that as after market accessories.

2) If, God forbid, you damage the over priced panniers, it's your loss, but in case of the LT the insurance would've covered them.

3) The hard shell plastic panniers don't get damaged easily but when they do, they get shattered beyond repair.
Old 26th January 2016, 13:47   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-thrust View Post
I agree that the quality of the original panniers would be better but here's why I may not opt for them, although I would have gladly paid up for the LT.

1) As @nasirkaka mentioned in a post, the accessories which raise the price of the 650LT by about a lakh in foreign markets, would cost double of that as after market accessories.

2) If, God forbid, you damage the over priced panniers, it's your loss, but in case of the LT the insurance would've covered them.

3) The hard shell plastic panniers don't get damaged easily but when they do, they get shattered beyond repair.
Here is a classic problem while dealing with 3rd party or the compatible products from the market. You have to spend a lot of time researching for the compatible nuts, bolts, racks, various boxes for looks, capacity, their aerodynamic nature, vehicle balance (some heavy ones have good impact on the bike) etc and we tend to get lost. Even while ordering from other countries, there is a head-ache with respect to delays, customs clearance, S&H. Till you open the box you are not sure if you got them in good shape.

Even the Kawasaki original accessories catalogue, the price comes to around USD 1070. So the difference is not much.

Name:  Screen Shot 20160126 at 1.42.12 PM.png
Views: 1544
Size:  123.5 KB

Regarding the insurance, you can always talk to insurance and see if they can cover the accessories. I have done it in the past and I am trying to get in touch with an agent to see if it can be done. On the other hand, while falling it might prevent bike from getting other damages. What do you guys think?
Old 26th January 2016, 15:57   #217
Senior - BHPian

Versys luggage is not being made by kawasaki. It's outsourced to one of the big players; my guess is givi. It's the same for bikes like the bmw gs as well. The price difference between the exact same givi model being sold by kawasaki will be significant. If one can, they should definitely try sourcing luggage from elsewhere

On a side note, if one plans to use the motorcycle regularly, a top box is one of te best things you can get. And get a decent sized one - at least 40+ litres

On the other hand, I don't think hard panniers are a good idea in India at least. IMO it's disaster waiting to happen, what with those hard cases jutting out which in some cases is twice the width of the motorcycle
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 19:52   #218
BHPian

Regarding panniers, I have the SHAD sidecases & topcase on my 1200GS and I can tell you they substantially increase the road presence of the bike! I get noticed from a distance by everybody from Kerala Road Transport buses to youngsters, school kids to even aunties having a chat on the roadside

While Givi, Shad, Hepco & Becker & Krauser etc would be the best plastic panniers with substantial price difference with the OE Kawasaki pannier (either made by Givi or Shad for Kawasaki), sadly for us in India after adding the international shipping charges with the volume weight of these aftermarket cases, the price difference becomes minimal. All these manufacturers make custom mounts for specific bikes which also need to be purchased. Besides, not always will you find an obliging colleague or uncle/aunt or neighbor willing to put these huge boxes in his/her check-in baggage returning from the US or Europe...

Btw, the Givi V35 side cases are a standard OE luggage for a lot of manufacturers from the high-end Motus to Aprillia to Suzuki. I remember some years back a Givi subsidiary Kappa sold the same Givi cases at a lower price with a minimal difference in design & finish, but they were nice & rugged cases as well. Not sure if they are still in business.

For the topcase, please be aware that unlike the Versys1000 which comes with the luggage rack, on the 650 you need to firstly buy a OE Kawi luggage rack onto which you fix the base plate of the topcase unless ofcourse you want to try some DIY rack. But like dkaile mentioned the DIY jobs can sometimes be a sore thumb on these wonderfully finished machines
Haroon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 20:51   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

I have made a mistake once ( buying the Arrows exhaust for my Bonnie which was a 60K investment down the drain) which has made me wary about accessories

My accessory purchase will be well-thought out before investing on anything.

Here in Hyderabad, I know some excellent leather making artisans and I might initially plan on getting some leather side bags (Tan...On black they look gorgeous).....As I wont be touring more than 1500kms (both sides) initially and mostly would be good tarmac ( Yup, I planned my trips too for 2016)
Old 26th January 2016, 21:44   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post

While Givi, Shad, Hepco & Becker & Krauser etc would be the best plastic panniers with substantial price difference with the OE Kawasaki pannier (either made by Givi or Shad for Kawasaki), sadly for us in India after adding the international shipping charges with the volume weight of these aftermarket cases, the price difference becomes minimal. All these manufacturers make custom mounts for specific bikes which also need to be purchased. Besides, not always will you find an obliging colleague or uncle/aunt or neighbor willing to put these huge boxes in his/her check-in baggage returning from the US or Europe...
Exactly my point. This is what I mentioned as well. It seems IKM's prices seem to be a straight 1 USD = Rs 70 type conversion. BTW, this is not related to exchange rate. I have seen the 70 multiplier in HD as well. This works out better and takes away a lot of pain and goes well with the bike. In addition, in case of any issues we can get it done within their warranty period.

Plus, most of the times, when such products are designed by the OE (Givi) for a manufacturer, that custom design wont be available for outside purchase through online portals. I could not find the same design side panniers on the web. Though the top box seems generic and available.

If I do the math, it is better to buy from the dealer than getting it from outside. Side panniers are 79k and top one is 39k. I assume this includes rack fitting for top box as well.

BTW, I watched your YouTube video of you ridden in 6 continents. Very inspiring. Hopefully, I am planning to do it sometime in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Here in Hyderabad, I know some excellent leather making artisans and I might initially plan on getting some leather side bags (Tan...On black they look gorgeous).....As I wont be touring more than 1500kms (both sides) initially and mostly would be good tarmac ( Yup, I planned my trips too for 2016)
That is definitely better. One thing you need ensure is that the brackets that you need to make to support the bags do not spoil the looks of the bike. Second, as we all know leather needs good amount of care, especially the saddle bags. Otherwise, you will find them spoilt with fungus all over.

Good news is that the leather care products for maintaining these bags can be bought from HD, Triumph or even from 3M I guess. If you are planning to keep your helmet inside as well, then you need to make them really big and that makes them sag.

On the lighter side, I wonder how a Japanese bike would look like with leather saddle bags. Hmm..Interesting it is going to be!!

Last edited by vprabu : 26th January 2016 at 21:49.
vprabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 21:55   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I get noticed from a distance by everybody..... to even aunties having a chat on the roadside
So thats the solution

Quote:
I remember seeing a rather large Shad top case on a fellow BHPian's Ninja 650. Looked like he was carrying the USS Enterprise on the back of his bike but no doubt it looked like it was top quality and must be very uselful

On sourcing the luggage - Its a bad guesstimate but folks buying a bike costing close to 8 lacs usually tend to travel overseas for business or otherwise. While some may struggle, most IMO will be able to source stuff. Although I completely agree that getting it shipped and paying huge duty + cost of shipping is not worth it

Quote:
For the topcase, please be aware that unlike the Versys1000 which comes with the luggage rack, on the 650 you need to firstly buy a OE Kawi luggage rack onto which you fix the base plate of the topcase unless ofcourse you want to try some DIY rack. But like dkaile mentioned the DIY jobs can sometimes be a sore thumb on these wonderfully finished machines
On the mounts - I could be wrong here but wouldn't the luggage manufacturers also make mounting hardware for a popular bike like the Versys? For example, BHPian Sridhu got a Givi top case for his Duke 390 with the proper mounting paraphernalia

Quote:
Please do re-think getting leather saddlebags for your Versys, unless you want to constantly answer questions like - "Hey, where's your Harley dude"

But on a serious note, why not simply use soft luggage that is so easily available? We have a pretty good range available in India itself. Over the leather bags, they should have the following advantages:

- IMO, soft luggage meant for bikes will look better
- You have waterproof options. No such luck with leather
- Should be sturdier than mom - pop store's leather saddles. Luggage failure is the last thing you want on a 1500 km trip
- In the unfortunate scenario your luggage does fail, you have manufacturer warranty and support. Most of the known names in India are very customer friendly too with repairs and exchange
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 22:34   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabu View Post
On the lighter side, I wonder how a Japanese bike would look like with leather saddle bags. Hmm..Interesting it is going to be!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Please do re-think getting leather saddlebags for your Versys, unless you want to constantly answer questions like - "Hey, where's your Harley dude"

UM, you drove the point home. I would avoid anything that would make me look like a Harley owner..LOL!. Leather Saddle bags cancelled

I think I am still in my dream which are unfulfilled of getting tan leather seats on my black bonnie...Man....will miss that opportunity for ever....It would have looked killer on a Bonnie

Quote:
But on a serious note, why not simply use soft luggage that is so easily available? We have a pretty good range available in India itself. Over the leather bags, they should have the following advantages:

- IMO, soft luggage meant for bikes will look better
- You have waterproof options. No such luck with leather
- Should be sturdier than mom - pop store's leather saddles. Luggage failure is the last thing you want on a 1500 km trip
- In the unfortunate scenario your luggage does fail, you have manufacturer warranty and support. Most of the known names in India are very customer friendly too with repairs and exchange
Actually, I was kidding. My intention was to get the soft luggage itself as I saw one video ( Australian guy) using soft luggage for his long trips on the versys

I want something that is plugged in and out easily so that I can use it only during long trips and don't want the luggage to be a permanent fixture on the bike
Old 26th January 2016, 22:52   #223
BHPian

Quote:
On the mounts - I could be wrong here but wouldn't the luggage manufacturers also make mounting hardware for a popular bike like the Versys? For example, BHPian Sridhu got a Givi top case for his Duke 390 with the proper mounting paraphernalia
What I meant was that for those not familiar with the subject of hard luggage, on the V650 its not a plug n play with a topbox/base plate as the base rack also needs to be purchased separately. I agree luggage manufacturers do make the supporting hardware for a few popular models, but its other companies like SW-Motech, Twisted Throttle etc that supply these generic supporting hardware with minor adjustments to fit a wide variety of bikes. Either way the base rack has to be purchased additionally.

Last edited by Haroon : 26th January 2016 at 22:53.
Old 26th January 2016, 23:03   #224
BHPian

Quote:

UM, you drove the point home. I would avoid anything that would make me look like a Harley owner..LOL!. Leather Saddle bags cancelled

Actually, I was kidding. My intention was to get the soft luggage itself as I saw one video ( Australian guy) using soft luggage for his long trips on the versys

I want something that is plugged in and out easily so that I can use it only during long trips and don't want the luggage to be a permanent fixture on the bike
mobike008, I happened to watch the YouTube video [ by Haroon and besides being impressive, highlights the benefits of removable hard cases and non magnetic tank cases. Saw it just in time and changing my revzilla order to non-magnetic one.

Here is the link of that video:

Last edited by vprabu : 26th January 2016 at 23:06.
vprabu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 13:02   #225
Senior - BHPian

i have traveled quite a bit on my bullet with a Cramster Stallion soft saddle bag. It still does the job. I have had my share of learning by experience, where riding in torrential rain has soaked all the stuff inside with nothing left dry to wear after a hard days ride. Henceforth every ride including the ones in no-monsoon season also saw all the stuff going first in two layers of big polythene bags then into the saddle bag. Only issue i see with soft panniers is they tend to shift esp while spirited riding over rough roads. Another bother is that its uneasy to leave it unattended on the bike, esp with camera etc inside. Found the solution in a givi replica hard top case (pic below) which looked like a pizza delivery, and was really functional.
So yeah, the kawi panniers are really expensive (costing same as a brand new 150cc bike), and folks on a budget (like myself) will have to tick it out of the list to begin with. Will explore possibilities a little later.

These touratech guards looks functional for the 2015 v650. Also seen is their knuckle guard and radiator grill. Another point of concern is OEM horn may not be adequate for our indian conditions, we may have to look at alternatives.
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-01-01.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-image0091-copy.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-dsc_0104.jpg  

Last edited by nasirkaka : 27th January 2016 at 13:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks