Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2016, 09:06   #301
BHPian

re: Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpsharma View Post
Hi team, Got a thought to look out for a second hand Z800 to save few bucks.
Hey that repair list seems pretty comprehensive. Looks like the bike took some beating overall. From head to toe.

I honestly don't see any harm in picking up a motorcycle which has had a fall. Seems like the previous owner is pretty transparent about it as well. And then there are guys who will skim you for money and keep that detail out of the deal.

I'd suggest ride the bike, heck even speak to the Kawasaki workshop guys to get a sense of what was the damage.

I know a friend who purchased a loaded Honda that had a fall and after 20 thousand KMS the bike is strong.

All's good if you know what to do. (Videos for reference)

Odeen12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 02:21   #302
Senior - BHPian

I too would be in the market to pick a pre-owned bike, preferably the Z800.
Came across this on Facebook.
Saw an ad of a Z800 for 7L.

Disclaimer: Not linked in any way with this group, just sharing it for the greater good of the community.
Apologies to Allan for hijacking your thread.
Old 13th August 2016, 03:32   #303
BHPian

Hi , I own a z800 . I've had it for close to 5 months now. Use it as my daily commute to work and a few long rides. Got about 4k on the Odo. I noticed a strange issue with my horn a few days back. If my engine temp rises above 80 degrees Celsius my horn is not functioning. But it functions when the bike is not hot. Is it a faulty horn? Has anyone experienced something similar? I rarely use the horn so I may have noticed this late as well. I've felt the horn with my hands it gets pretty hot,as hot as the radiator in fact. Should I replace the stock horn with some thing that's heat proof?

Open to suggestions.

BK
Old 13th August 2016, 07:40   #304

Snap316 - this is a known issue in Z800s, and a lot of online forums talk about it. I have personally not had this issue, but know a few others who have had a similar complaint with engine temp raising over 90. The service centre in Bangalore also confirmed that it is a known issue with the relay, and would replace it under warranty if they cannot fix it. Please have it reported to your nearest service centre.
dotz_13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 11:59   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotz_13 View Post
Snap316 - this is a known issue in Z800s, and a lot of online forums talk about it. I have personally not had this issue, but know a few others who have had a similar complaint with engine temp raising over 90. The service centre in Bangalore also confirmed that it is a known issue with the relay, and would replace it under warranty if they cannot fix it. Please have it reported to your nearest service centre.
Didn't know that . Thanks !! . BTW the horn does not have a dedicated relay in the Z800.
Old 13th August 2016, 18:12   #306
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally the dark clouds cleared today so I got a chance to take the Z out of the basement. Managed to click some daylight pics with the windscreen on. Enjoy!

Thinking of some DIY stuff in the coming weeks. Will post more details when I make some progress.

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-picsart_081305.59.37.jpg

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-picsart_081305.24.00.jpg

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-picsart_081305.23.28.jpg

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-picsart_081305.22.46.jpg
v12 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 20:35   #307
BHPian

Hey Guys, actually my horn is fixed I just aired it out and there was a tiny Philip head screw at the back opened it out and screwed it in till the diaphragm movement was not restricted and it started working again. It was not a heat issue after all. Also it's way louder now as originally the screw restricted the loudness of the horn. The more it's pulled out the louder it is.

I had anyway bought a spare horn just in case it Conk's out again.

Thanks for your support

Last edited by snap316 : 15th August 2016 at 20:36.
snap316 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 12:25   #308

Very interesting snap316!! I will pass this on to my friends and see if the same issue can be resolved this way. If not, will keep you posted what the service guys do or say. Yes, there is no dedicated relay for the horn, but the same one is used for other electricals as well.
Old 21st August 2016, 22:44   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap316 View Post
Hey Guys, actually my horn is fixed I just aired it out and there was a tiny Philip head screw at the back opened it out and screwed it in till the diaphragm movement was not restricted and it started working again. It was not a heat issue after all. Also it's way louder now as originally the screw restricted the loudness of the horn. The more it's pulled out the louder it is.

I had anyway bought a spare horn just in case it Conk's out again.

Thanks for your support
What happened to your other thread?
Old 28th August 2016, 00:40   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
What happened to your other thread?
Other thread moved to assembly line by mods will look at it once I have some time to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotz_13 View Post
Very interesting snap316!! I will pass this on to my friends and see if the same issue can be resolved this way. If not, will keep you posted what the service guys do or say. Yes, there is no dedicated relay for the horn, but the same one is used for other electricals as well.
Forgot to mention this, I had sealed up the screw after getting it to the correct position with some candle wax so it doesn't move with vibrations. Had two rides in the rain and it's still holding solid.

Also examine the screw tip for rust, if you spot any use a mild sand paper to rub it out so your contact is good, you can also add a few drops of coconut oil into the hole before sealing it, will prevent it from rusting.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th August 2016 at 07:42. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 5th September 2016, 06:57   #311
BHPian

Guys, I was checking out the options for LED headlamp bulbs without any major modifications and this caught my eye. You guys think this would be compatible for the Z800 without any cutting and splicing? Let me know your opinion and take on these.

http://shop.motousher.com/collection...headlight-bulb

I'm looking at brighter headlamp options and the ones available on market have a complete projector with HID bulb set up. I'm not too keen on it as the angel eyes around them are too gaudy for the classy Z800. Plus the imminent threat of voiding the warranty with a complete headlamp unit change with the aftermarket projector ones. Hence was looking at other options.

And these caught my eye too. You guys think this would give a better protection in case of a spill? I totally agree that it ruins the lines of the bike but if the stronger protection is a trade in for the slight eye sore, I'm ok with that. Your views on this too.

http://shop.motousher.com/collection...n-hepco-becker

And just to make things clear, I don't own a Z800 but am looking to get one later this year. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Doc_nikhil : 5th September 2016 at 07:04. Reason: Spell check
Old 6th September 2016, 17:24   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpsharma View Post
Hi team, Got a thought to look out for a second hand Z800 to save few bucks. Saw an ad online, asking price 6.75 L (nego) - 2015 model - 5k Odo, MH 05 regd. But point of concern is it met with an accident and got repaired. Parts replaced - Radiator & Right side fairing and few other parts.

1) Would it be advisable to go for such bike if he comes down by big margin?
2) What other things do I need to look out for when going for second hand?
3) What other things do I need to look out for, when going for such crashed bike?
4) What is the max that we can offer, in this case?

Any other suggestion on looking out for Used bikes are welcome.
From my previous experiences, I would suggest you stay away from a motorcycle that has had a major crash. My friend purchased a used FZ-1 from an unknown person. The seller, like the one you encountered, was open about the crash he had had and told he had fixed everything (he even had receipts). After purchasing, within an year, multiple problems w.r.t to exhaust system and engines were encountered. Especially, if he revved the engine, it would shut down immediately (I am not talking about rev limiter).

I then purchased a second hand P150 (1st gen DTS-i) and the engine conked within six months (even after regular oil changes and the ODO reading only 30kms).

When you are making such a big purchase (6L itself is huge), it is better to add the extra dough to get a clean bike with the added advantage of warranty.
Viv3k is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 11:20   #313
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I have never seen a Z800 with a HB guard - not sure how much better protection it would provide compared to the Puig sliders. These type of guards are more suited to the Bonneville or the Street Twin or classic naked bikes.

Regarding the headlamps, changing just the bulbs to a higher wattage may be fine. But changing the entire headlight to the HID ones may void your warranty. Have seen pics of Z800s with the angel eyes setup and believe me - they look ugly.

If you are planning to buy a Z800 next year, you coukd wait for the 2017 model. Have heard that its going to be fully faired.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 11:54   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap316 View Post
Hi , I own a z800 . I've had it for close to 5 months now. Use it as my daily commute to work and a few long rides. Got about 4k on the Odo. I noticed a strange issue with my horn a few days back. If my engine temp rises above 80 degrees Celsius my horn is not functioning. But it functions when the bike is not hot. Is it a faulty horn? Has anyone experienced something similar? I rarely use the horn so I may have noticed this late as well. I've felt the horn with my hands it gets pretty hot,as hot as the radiator in fact. Should I replace the stock horn with some thing that's heat proof?

Open to suggestions.

BK
I noticed this issue on the benelli 600GT. You need to relocated the horn maybe a few inches here and there.
danlalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 00:34   #315
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

So finally after 5 months in hibernation, I took Godzilla out for a solo ride to Lonavala yesterday. Although the bike was stored away in a basement since May, I have been regularly starting it and taking it for a short spin twice/thrice a week. With the rains gone now and another event coming up yesterday, it was a good time to take it out of its captivity. Got the bike home, gave it a much needed wash (after 5 months) - even though it was still clean. Followed the usual rituals - Fuel Top up, tyre pressure checked and off for a long ride.

Since I was riding alone, I had the luxury of time and didnt have to hurry to reach anywhere. It was late morning when I left from home and that meant I got stuck in office traffic. But once out of Mumbai, the roads were empty and the weather was cool. Did a good 200 kms ride and really felt good about it. It was late evening when I left from Lonavala (6PM) and it had already started getting dark. I have never ever done a long ride during the night and it was pretty scary. It was easier to ride on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway by keeping in the left most lane. But the old highway was a nightmare - trucks with high beams in front and the rear view mirrors. Some just passing through without headlights and you never realise till they are next to you. Promise myself never to do a night ride ever in my life. Maybe it's me ... But it really was scary.

Another 40 kms or so more and I will be touching the 5000 kms mark.

Anyways here are some pics of the ride :

A straight open road, a motorcycle and good music.
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20161015_210313.jpg

What next Kawasaki?
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20161016_001932.jpg

A road I shouldn't have taken - Uran JNPT road. It was like riding into a dust storm.
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20161015_212359.jpg

The road ahead and the road behind.
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20161015_001358.jpg

And you thought the Z800 was huge
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20161015_000931.jpg

Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20161015_211332.jpg

Washing the bike @ Lonavala
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20161014_234745.jpg

210 kms, 10 litres - Got a good average of around 20kmpl
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20161015_212213.jpg

Night riding - this is the last one.
Godzilla! My monster from Japan. Kawasaki Z800- NOW SOLD !!! !!!-psx_20161015_212909.jpg
v12 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks