Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2015, 23:06   #91
BHPian

Re: Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in

Accessory Update:

Received the "ResQtech Tyre Inflator" today on the mail from Amazon.in in flat 3 days. A little metal head on the rear rubber awaited repair. Down to the garage after lunch as weather stayed dark and wet and sleepy.

The box:
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc07614.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc07615.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc07616.jpg

What was inside the box, inflater, cigarette lighter connector, battery connector, two other types of nozzle for football etc:
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc07617.jpg

Opened the front seat up after removing the single screw and the holding plate under the pillion seat. Opened the rubber strap out and pulled the battery out. Loosened the screw, attached the battery terminal connector (red to positive and black to negative) and tightened the screw back. Connected the inflater, a white LED glowed. A little push on the yellow switch and it vibrated itself to life. Packed the battery back. Let the connector stay under the pillion at a secure place. The connector comes with a cap to keep away the moisture and dirt. The engine should better be ON while using else it might drain out the battery.

Stays there at all time from now, almost invisible:
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc07618.jpg

The connector with the cap on:
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc07619.jpg

The connector, open:
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc07620.jpg

The little metal piece protruded out but the pressure gauge suggested no drop in pressure which was a positive sign. Marked it. Sprayed soap solution. No bubbles. More hope. Very carefully, pulled out the metal and a surge of happiness, not felt since the first day nail-in incident, surfed through me. No puncture. Just a bit of busted Road, I might say .
Marked:
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc07621.jpg

No bubbles and metal piece protruding:
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc07623.jpg

The Evil Culprit !
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc07624.jpg

Took around 1-2 minutes to fill up from 17 psi to 33 psi at the rear of the Prime. 17 psi suggests there is a puncture which I will look for tomorrow, once done with 'Jurassic World'.

A great product for the price, Rs 999. Has an one year warranty. Much better buy than the Chinese counterfeits.

So took at few pictures of the steeds !
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc076281.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc076331.jpg

Z Life
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc07641.jpg
Sojogator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 11:27   #92
Senior - BHPian

Sojo, the number plate on the Z looks a bit iffy. Thought of putting the number on front mudguard?
Old 29th June 2015, 11:20   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Sojo, the number plate on the Z looks a bit iffy. Thought of putting the number on front mudguard?
I am still wondering what to do about it. Whether I get a wind screen and get the number stickered there or leave it as it is and let the fender do the talking.
Old 29th June 2015, 12:34   #94
BHPian

A Ring On Bengaluru !

Distance :
185 kms

Time : 6 hours (0530 till 1130 on 28 06 2015)

Place : None ! Fondly calling it as Kolar Loop !
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/12...620325!1m0!3e0

Stops : Few

Average : 21 kmpl

Log :

The week saw the rainbowing (Still don't know why the rainbow has only 6 colors though) of almost all FB profile pictures as Uncle Sam had taken a huge step towards equality. Gay marriages were now allowed in US. About time they caught up with the EU countries. About time, we, as Indians, strived towards equality as well.

After much planning and considerations and reconsiderations that happened all through the week, there were 10 of us who went ahead with this one. The idea was to complete a 155 kms loop starting from Kolar highway, through Kolar, through Vijayapura, to Nandi Upahar for breakfast (IPC did not get the cut due to the expected rush on Sunday mornings), through Budigere and back home ! There was not destination in this one. The journey is more important than the destination and all that !

All of us gathered at ITI entrance, right after the KR Puram bridge at 6 AM. After a few of us had our morning cup of tea, we started off towards Kolar. We flew through the lovely morning breeze like a tornado. In no time, we were at Kolar CCD. We gathered there and then quickly we moved towards Vijayapura through the little lanes in Kolar, right out of "Gangs of Wasseypur", to meet the state highway 96 after a few kilometers of lane traversing.

This was a state highway. Well laid tarmac for most of it except a few parts where the road is being widened and re laid. Speeds breakers were in plenty and you would never miss them. The highway was well flanked by trees and formed lovely canopies in quite a few stretches. The traffic was acceptable but you could find a few trucks blocking each other and everyone around a couple of times. We took a little break with a few photos on this stretch. After deciding that IPC would be too crowded on a Sunday morning and end up taking too much time to feed the 10 of us, we decided, instead, to have our breakfast at the "Nandi Upahar", located at Nandi cross and started off. At Vijayapura there were few extremely excited kids who touched and felt our bikes. We were out of the place within a few minutes and headed towards Nandi cross. This part of the road was lush green on both sides. The temperatures were surely a few degrees less around here. Wish the trees and the lakes stayed as they used to be and still are at some places.

The manager was happy enough to let us keep our steeds inside their campus instead of the refular parking as we felt they were unsafe exposed to the road. After having our breakfast, looked at the maps and started on our way to go through Budigere till we would reach Kolar highway again. This stretch was beautiful. Twisting roads, very well laid out and devoid of any serious kind of traffic.

Soon we were near the K R Puram where we were lead by one of us, on his Duke 200, through some broken bits of road and a little tunnel under a bridge as we came out of it, on the other side, right in front of the Honda showroom on outer ring road. When I say little, I mean, around 6 feet high and a couple of feets wide. The reverberation of the Roadbuster's inline four grunt through that little mouse hole was awe inspiring and I almost had goose bumps there ! That bit of road meant the entire traffic around the K R Puram bridge was completely avoided, with a little bid riding through some unchartered territory (Not really ! About a few dozens two wheelers were using the mouse hole) !

On the ring road and quickly enough, we were back home and resting ! To the next one !

ODO : 3690 kms

Photos : A 2 year old phone means using navigation and taking pictures at the same time don't go well hand in hand. Did not even snap a single one by myself. All these have been taken by the 2 R15V2 (Chida and Mohit) and the D200 (Anoop) riders we had on the ride. Thanks to them

Newly laid tarmac, always a delightful sight !
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-fb_img_1435515918883.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-fb_img_1435515921776.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-fb_img_1435515924400.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-fb_img_1435515916404.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-fb_img_1435515913768.jpg

Challan writing by Ninja Cop, @goandude
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-fb_img_1435515911205.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-11666051_10153497180479444_3027741996841697453_n.jpg

Safest Table On Earth !
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-fb_img_1435515930968.jpg

Last edited by Sojogator : 29th June 2015 at 12:58.
Sojogator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 20:14   #95
BHPian

Looks like you fellas had a nice ride! goandude was probably signing your challan for overspeeding.

The last photo perfectly demonstrates the chaos we bikers make at restaurants at hotels, entering like cowboys with helmets instead of pistols.

On a side note, congratulations on signing Cech. Wenger seems to have finally woken up.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 23:49   #96
BHPian

Accessory Update :

The monsoon have set in quite early in Bangalore this time. BBMP have taken care that much of the roads in and around the city are in dire condition. The concoction leads to muddy roads all over. The 'European' styled front fender means much of that muck makes a mockery of the radiator guard and the places around it. There is always a dollop of muck on the radiator guard and numerous spots around it.

Last lazy Monday evening, I bumped across a 'fender extender' which was being sold at http://shop.redlineplus.in/5-safety-...ender-ffx.html . I have looked at the fender extender option before but they are not available in India and cost a bomb which meant I have been shy of them till now. This one, on the other hand, costed Rs 449/- . So, even if it does not work out, it was worth a try.

Ordered it and a few other small stuff. The person who runs the store sent the NEFT details. Account added and money transferred, the items were shipped within a day. They arrived in 4 days via speed post.

Packaging was one of the poorest I have seen recently but then again, nothing in it required solid packaging. Still can be done much better.

This extender is made of a foam like material (neoprene rubber). The top half of it has 4 straps of velcros. An Aluminium band holds the thing firm. 5 velcro stickers were provided. These would have to be stuck on the underside of the fender with the velcro facing the tire. The extender would go in and and be fixed by the copious amount of velcro real estate. The Aluminium band will keep it in shape so that it doesn't touch the tire. This works good for all motorcycle with 110 or 120 section front rubber as per the description in their webpage. They claim they use 3M adhesive which I am not very sure of. The little money you are paying is for the idea rather than the materials being used here, in my inexperienced opinion.

Fitting:

Quite simple though entire thing gives you a feeling that it won't work initially.
  1. Clean the inside of the fender thoroughly.
  2. Run the velcro stickers from one side to the other.
  3. Stick them uniformly and make sure there are no bubbles inside that would eat away some precious room between the band and the tire.
  4. Once all are stuck properly, bend the aluminium band so that it is away from the tire.
  5. Slowly slide the fender inside till level with the velcros.
  6. Connect them and verify that the tire and the aluminium band is not touching each other. Use a chalk mark on the band and rotate tire to verify that they are not touching. If they are, you could bend the aluminium band further away from the tire.

Result:

Had the first wet ride tonight while returning from work. The radiator guard has remained clean There are no muck streaks around the radiator guard either, even though the surface was especially mucky today. Very happy with what it has is offering for the price it is selling at.

Photos:

The end product ! The little silver thing at the bottom is one end of the Aluminium band bend and fixed. The other end has a similar structure.
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc07692.jpg

Eyesore ? Nope. See the earlier photos from the weekend ride. Hardly noticeable !
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc07693.jpg

The 'fender extender' package ! The stitches are where the velcro patches are.
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc07691.jpg

The entire order !
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-dsc07687.jpg

Last edited by Sojogator : 30th June 2015 at 00:00.
Sojogator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 17:00   #97
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Sojo - I was looking for these and have asked my friend to get them from the US. I had seen these ones at Redlineplus but was not sure how they would look or fit on the bike. They looked more like mudflaps than a fender extender in the pics. But now that I see it on your bike - it does not look all that bad. Its actually a very useful accessory - protects the radiator from bein damaged.

I guess such a thing could be an easy DIY as well.
Old 30th June 2015, 18:03   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Hey Sojo - I was looking for these and have asked my friend to get them from the US. I had seen these ones at Redlineplus but was not sure how they would look or fit on the bike. They looked more like mudflaps than a fender extender in the pics. But now that I see it on your bike - it does not look all that bad. Its actually a very useful accessory - protects the radiator from bein damaged.

I guess such a thing could be an easy DIY as well.
I guess you got yourself the original 'fenda extenda'. Don't they go in permanently ? Don't they need drilling holes to install them ?

You are right. They don't look like those flaps. They look more matte black colored fiber like from a distance. I would not say that they look 'good' but they are inconspicuous. And I cannot pay much heed to how it looks like since I ride it everyday in the rain and the sun. The fact that I can just remove it and keep it away after monsoon was a major plus for my use.

Too see the radiator guard as clean as before the ride through the slush last night was very pleasing and satisfying

Also, I have done the sunday ride of 185 kms on these too. Speed breakers, 8000-9000 rpm 6th cog speeds and all that we find on our roads but the thing seems to be as good as when I put them on.

Yes, should be a relatively easy DIY if you have the right tools and know how to source the materials. I feel much of the Rs 449 is for the idea rather than the parts.

Last edited by Sojogator : 30th June 2015 at 18:09.
Old 30th June 2015, 19:39   #99
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The ones which I have asked for is the proper fenda extends ... But those dont require any drilling. They are exactly the same shape as the mudguard and are fixed using 3M two way tapes. That's the best part of it - it can be removed and fixed whenever you want.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 21:49   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Looks like you fellas had a nice ride! goandude was probably signing your challan for overspeeding.

The last photo perfectly demonstrates the chaos we bikers make at restaurants at hotels, entering like cowboys with helmets instead of pistols.

On a side note, congratulations on signing Cech. Wenger seems to have finally woken up.
Lol. Yeah. That was the only substantial break we took. The inside story of the photo is that @goandude is taking the brown tape out of the tool kit and we are trying to fix the broken indicator

True. One table just for the gears. They happily obliged though as he remembered goandude who had come there a day before too. Return business afterall !

Didn't have the resources. Now we got and we will go big and rock the BPL next season, well hopefully ! COYG !

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The ones which I have asked for is the proper fenda extends ... But those dont require any drilling. They are exactly the same shape as the mudguard and are fixed using 3M two way tapes. That's the best part of it - it can be removed and fixed whenever you want.
That sounds nice. Can't wait to see the upgrades once you have them on !
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 21:27   #101
BHPian

Past Revisited !

Distance : 258 kms

Time : 7 hours (0530 till 1230 on 05 07 2015)

Bangalore - Kanakapura - Shivasamundra(Bharachukki) - Kanakapura - Bangalore

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-screenshot_20150705125742.png

The part that shows the route over the bridge is not something that is updated in Google Maps. So, Maps show that the route is about 60 kms too long. Guess someone needs to update them about the awesome new bridge they have build over the ever flowing river !
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-screenshot_20150705125757.png

Stop : Few long ones

Average : 21.8kmpl - Record High !

Log:

While Saturday was a day to remember as I got a chance to catch up with a few of those really old friends you have with whom you had gone to school, have grown miserably old (Relative Old !) in the last decade and as life has played its moves to make everyone reach the same place again, only 10 years older, 2500 kms away from where we were and more life experienced. Great Nostalgic and fun packed Saturday afternoon gave way to a night when you had to sleep early since I was to have more endorphins injecting moments the next morning !

Just the 3 of us met up at the bus stop opposite Mandovi motors in J P Nagar at 0545AM. We made ourselves towards Kanakapura cutting through the lovely morning breeze. The weather looked clear and we fear the inevitable heat we would face on the return. As fresh air intoxicated our lungs and made us forget about the smog they have been subjected to through the weekend in the traffic !

There were hundreds of them !!! All restless ! Suicide mission engaged. Wagging tails and hanging tongues ! Dogs ! I have been through the stretch a few times but never come across this many ! They were everywhere. As if they had taken over the better part of the world from the stupid humans ! Or they might have been able to escape the barbarity of Yulin festival of Dog Slaughter a few days back ! Always on the alert of one running into us and killing both in the process and with a few kmph less we made ourselves to Kanakapura.

From here on, the ride was lesser ridden with dogs. The roads were still as nice and flanked by green on either side. We had upped our pace. The traffic had started to thicken so soon we would come across from suicide mission engaged creatures but with 2 legs sitting on a number of wheels this time.

The road curved its way in and out. It was all lovely when we saw the milestone that told Shivasamudra was only 22 kms away now. I had been to this place. Long time ago. I was still in college. The Brain still told I was immortal of some sort ! After an already nostalgic saturday, I was looking forward to another nostalgia from the place which was my first destination on 2 wheels, outside Bangalore. The time when Prime (R15) was new and spanking ! Things had changed hugely. The roads had gone wider. There were gates at the entrance now. Where there was once a little broken half bridge capable of handling only 2 wheelers, now is a smooth tarmac ed culvert. All for the good I guess but you do miss the things that make a memory so I missed those absurd things on the road.

We had reached at the gates of Bharachukki at around 0800 and the man at the gate told that it would still be 30-45 minutes before the gates would be opened. We decided to turn back after a few photos. Meanwhile, few cars and tempo travellers had gathered around the place, all to pay a visit to the falls ! A couple of extra inquisitive men came up and asked questions about the bikes which we were happy to respond to. Then came the request for photos that was, again, accepted cordially. Now he asked whether he could sit ! I was quick and stern in my denial and he did not ask again though he looked quite flabbergasted by Roadbuster ! I have seen many people get attracted to the bike and ask questions but this man looked a bit wild. The Roadbuster does things which are beyond my apprehension now !

We quickly checked out the falls, emptied the bladders, filled them up a little again and moved on only after a few photos were done with. We stopped at the old dilapidated bridge on the way back for more photos. It looked eery and a 1000 year old. We did not dare to move too far into that as it was made and supported by huge rocks and the water tried its best to corrode it through the ages !!! And then there was a R15, a N250 and Z800 on that ! Talk about being in India !!!

We made good progress back now. Traffic was stupid, heavy and dangerous. We were soon at Kanakapura where we stopped at the Vasus for breakfast. The usual hunt for parking space happened and in no time we were munching away at one the most awesome masala dosas one can get a bite on. The person at the cash counter asked us if we were from the bhp forum and we told yes. He then talked merrily with the owner of the N250, @Porschefire and told him how he has failed to enroll himself into tBHP multiple times. Meanwhile, I was munching on the awesome, piping hot dosa !

We were done with the late breakfast at around 11 and immediately left towards Bangalore. The road was now the same but hotter and smokier but, like in the morning, stupid creatures were galore. One drove a Xuv and almost killed a few indicas on the other way and a few others on its ! We kept safe distance and feared what might unfold. A little traffic meant we left that brainless behind by a long margin ! Another few minutes and we were back in the sweltering heat on Bangalore. Looks like the heat was waiting for the day of the ride to strike ! The ODO meanwhile ticked the 4 0 0 0 mark ! And I have now owned her for around a 1 0 0 days. Time has flown by and I have never been better myself !

Soon we were home and asleep with another set of memories etched in the brain. These memories are funny. You create them every now and then knowing or without knowing but they turn up after years and put a smile or a tear on you in no time.

To more memories !

Photos :
The Brighter and Better pictures have all been taken by the photography fanatic R15V2 rider, @Chida ! Rest are me clicking away.

The cleanliness of the N250 is beyond words. One must witness to believe it is around a couple of years old.

As they say, let the pictures do the talking ! All Green and Fresh !

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-1.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-2.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-3.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-5.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-6.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-7.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-8.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-9.jpg

7 years ago ! Shivanasaumdra and yours truly, younger and lighter !
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-10.jpg

Now ! Shivasamudram and yours truly, older and heavier :P Time Flies past !
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-11.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-12.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-13.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-14.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-15.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-16.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-17.jpg

4 0 0 0 mark ! Long it may continue !
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-18.jpg

3 7 0 0 0 mark on the Prime as well, a couple of days ago. Around 2 5 0 0 days of being with her as well !
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-19.jpg

ODO : 4008 kms

Last edited by Sojogator : 6th July 2015 at 21:50.
Old 10th July 2015, 11:02   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Accessory Update:

Received the "ResQtech Tyre Inflator" today
Sojo!
How is this holding up? Have you been using it regularly? Do you still recommend?

Cheers!
Old 10th July 2015, 11:15   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Sojo!
How is this holding up? Have you been using it regularly? Do you still recommend?

Cheers!
I have used this a few time to top up into either of my bikes. Everything works just perfect till now. Works very well and very easy to use at the same time. Size is a huge positive. Has a 1 year warranty too so, yes, I would recommend this. At this price, you would only get the chinese ones and those don't come with warranty.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 21:04   #104
BHPian

Been some weeks now since I have not put anything up here. So did I stop riding regularly ? Or was I too busy and caught up with work ? Maybe I was abducted by the Aliens ?
None of them. Took a couple of weeks away from weekend rides after reading the article by Schumi on OD. Add to that refrain from updating about a next door Sunday morning breakfast ride I did.

Well, time to share some of the busting that went around during this time.

Since my last ride, The ODO of the Roadbuster has gone up by almost 1000 points owing to mostly commuting, a little ride to Shoolagiri for breakfast a couple of weeks back and an over nighter, a first for the Roadbuster and me, at Yercaud. The over nighter happened this week and turned out to be one hell of an epic ride. 14 bikes from all the genres in all the hues of the spectrum flowing like a colorful river for a couple of hundred kilometers.

Ride 1:

A Hungry Morning !

Distance : 100 kms

Time : 3 hours (0630 till 0930 on 11 07 2015)

Bangalore - Shoolagiri - Bangalore

Stop : None !

Average : 21 kmpl

Log:
The group with which I have been riding since the conception of the Roadbuster was slowly but steadily building up a plan for an over nighter. This was less because most of the nearby places were done and dusted with and more because we are comfortable with each other's riding styles and do end up having good times at most times. The plan was almost locked and loaded and the finer details needed to be ironed out. This lead us to have a really short breakfast ride to Shoolagiri . We started, late, at 0630 from the spot right after the ecity flyover. A dozen of us gathered and started on our way. We reached Shoolagiri in no time. Ordered our MacDs and Idlis, chatted and laughed and at least discussed the logistics for the 'overnighter' . I had not decided till then whether I would be able to make it, thanks to some chores from the 'other' side. We filled our empty stomachs and turned around. And we were soon back and telling our goodbyes. The only highlight of the little ride being me 'overshooting' a U turn and riding a few kilometers in the process and everyone having a good laugh at that. A good friendly breakfast ride which was more about the people than the rides and the ride.

Photos :

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-1.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-s2.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-s3.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-s4.jpg

ODO : Insignificant !!!

Ride 2:
A Journey, A Night & A Road To Remember !

Distance : 490 kms

Time : 32.5 hours (0600 on 25 07 2015 till 1430 on 26 07 2015)

Bangalore - Salem- Yercaud - Salem - Bangalore

Stop : Many and one whole night !

Average : 19 kmpl

Log:

I thank the holy mother of God and the God of the lands that I was able to convince the 'other' side and found myself paying up for the stay and gearing up for the ride one week in from the Shoolagiri ride. If I had not been able to adjust, thanks to a Minion movie, I would have missed the ride of my life !

A week before the reservations were made thanks to our exceptionally capable ride manager. The place was booked. understanding was made that we would park our darlings right in front of the place where we slept the night out. What started off with 6, ended up with 14 riders. All sane and all fun. Like a group of penguins. All happy, similar, excited and in order.

Quick checks and packing a night before so that I don't end up forgetting any of the must-haves followed by a cleaning and chain clean and lube done, i went off to sleep, pretty late, at 0100 on the 25th and I was up at 0500 again, all excited and jumpy !!!

Left home at around 0600. Struggled with tying the luggage to the motorcycle for 15 or so minutes in the middle of the road as it kept slipping and moving, to the amusement of a few young women who giggled themselves to happiness early in the morning watching a fully geared rider struggle with the ropes, bag and a green spectacular bike. I never looked up towards them but few of the comments were hilarious !!! On fastened, to their 'awww's, I was back on my way to the meeting point but, for the first time, having made people wait at the meeting point !

At the meeting points was this never before seen sight for me. More than a dozen riders, decd in gear, around their multi hued machines along the side of the road. A little help from the experienced ones means I could get the luggage on nice and safe and we were ready to get a move on.

Finally, after all planning in the last couple of weeks, we were about to implement the plan !!! Introductions and safety briefing later we were on our way for, what would turn out to be, an epic ride.

We were soon at our regular breakfast point on this stretch, the Shoolagiri MacD. Just like a couple of weeks back, few enjoy the American junk while others filled themselves up with traditional Indian for breakfast that had to fuel us for the next few hours of journey, till we were atop Yercaud.

We had decided to not ride in a huge single group and cause havoc to the traffic on the highway, like many do. Instead, like always, we rode how we were comfortable and got together at the toll booths where we would wait a couple of minutes, have some refreshments and carry on again. Simple effective efficient and you don't irritate that driver on the road either.

The altitude was decreasing and, with it, the mercury was shooting out. We were soon at Salem. We decided to fill ourselves and our steeds up here. Water, Coconut water and some Bharat Petroleum was served as required. This was the prologue to what must be the best hill road I have done on the Roadbuster, the climb to Yercaud.

Yercaud is five thousand odd feets above the sea level and is a decently sized hill station. Having grown up around Darjeeling, hill stations have always been special to me. The vibrant greens, the sun playing possum, the unpredictable rains and the winding roads, like a snake resting after a good heavy afternoon meal, all play a role to create an experience that is unprecedented, at least to the inner child in me.

After dodging some Bengaluru level traffic at Salem, we were soon at the foothill. A few bucks paid as 'entry fee' and we were on our way up. The roads in tamil nadu are a revelation. They are perfectly laid most of the times. They are marked well. Potholes are hard to come by. And these wonderful tarmacs are filled up with imbeciles !!! Luckily though, we had made good time and that meant we did not face much traffic on the way up, save a cloud or two of traffic, thanks to a humongous bus struggling and chugging along at tortoise speeds and thus causing a serpent of slow vehicles. While some others were due to drivers trying to pull on higher gears and having no idea about lines that should be taken to keep moving like a car should.

We pushed our machines and we grinned while doing that ! The chicken strips were formed. The sweeping curves and the 20 hairpins and every technical sections just meant one thing ! Fun ! These roads were made for motorcycles. You lean. You power out of corners. You keep the lines. And you grin. Just not any grin, a mental grin. And while you are having that much fun, you would soon realise, around the 10th hairpin, that the temperatures have plummeted and a cool breeze is striking your, what was a 200 kms tired , face. After stopping right at the end of the climb we gathered again, had some fun discussing the curves and soon moved on to the place we would set-up our tents for the evening, the 'Golden Nest Resort'.

Once in the resort, which was atop one of the numerous hills with a breathtaking view and very near to the Yercaud Lake, we parked our machines in front of our little cottage, we changed, freshened up, watched the video from our climb and went for our semi heavy lunch. Now the cuisine is the Chettinad and the food was cooked great. The various preparations of chicken, I have special affinity towards anything non vegeterian, were lip smacking and portions of rice, daal and sides were humongous. So much so that we returned half the rice plates !!!

Once done with the lunch, we absorbed the beauty that was in the view right in front of the restaurant of the hotel ! Green hills all around. Clouds looking like wool knit scarves on them. Little rays of sub, shining through little cloud pockets and illuminating patches of hills or the reservoir far away in the horizon. Then we discussed our next course of action, 'The Loop'

'The Loop' as we started to call the scenic narrow hilly road around Yercaud was a 30 odd kilometer of typical hill road flanked by more green that one can imagine. Trees of various shapes and sizes, shrubs, grass and the little road with almost non existent traffic makes you feel like what Adam would have felt if he was 'riding' through the garden of Eden. Luckily, as anticipated, rains started to hit Yercaud as soon as we were about to leave our abode to do 'The Loop'. This meant the ones who were not ready with the rain gear and wasn't sure about riding in the wet, especially on hilly roads, gave the trip a skip and 7 of us ended up doing this bit. For me, these 30kms and a couple of hours was the highlight of the ride. One with the nature, with the Roadbuster, as drizzle turned into torrential rains half way through 'The Loop'. We took the roads with utmost care and no hurry. A few of us were soaking and so we decided to stop for awhile. We found shelter in the verandah of a little village house with a roof. We warmed ourselves here. The old lady, who was the owner of the place, was the nicest of human beings you will come across. Didn't ask us anything. Let us stand and wait. Lovely woman !

Once we were a bit warmed up, we continued on with 'The Loop'. The rain succumbed a bit and gave up completely once we completed, let me say this one last time, 'The Loop'. It was as if the heavens had opened up just to make us experience the serenity and tranquillity of the place in full glory. Wish I could live in such a place ! Alas !

Back in Yercaud town and just by the lake, we waited as others picked up some things that they wanted. As I was looking behind while sitting on the saddle, parked of course, someone was licking Roadbuster's headlamps. 'Holy Cow !', quite literally.

Some photos and we were back at the resort. Parked our steeds. Dried ourselves. Watched the sun set and put a show to remember while doing so. Sipped on some beverages and retreated back into the rooms just after the darkness had covered the misty mountains making it look so ghastly, which, a moment or two ago looked so glorious reciprocating the last rays of the sun as it bid adieu to the day.

The night brought us good food, good weather, good talks and, most importantly, awesome few hours as we talked our hearts out, just like each one of us ride our hearts out each time we are in the saddle. The evening shall be remembered for a very long time to come as a memory of great joy, the kind you share with your grand children.

Late but we did go to sleep. All up early next morning again to the sun shining once again and the eerie hills had started to smile again. We refreshed ourselves, had our 'complementary' breakfast, mounted the luggage on the machine and were all set to get a move on. Bills paid, we flew down the lovely hilly roads again at around 1100 on 26th July. A photo session at the 20th hairpin apart, there was no stopping save for the traffic which was substantially heavier that day. Nevertheless we glided down the serpent like a teenager on a water slide, with a grin etched right across our faces.

The temperatures began to shoot up as we descended. Another quick stop at the Bharat Petroleum to fill up and we were soon out of the heavily congested Salem. We followed the same routine from there on and stopped at toll booths to gather up and continue.

The group stopped just before Krishnagiri while I continued on my way home as I had to be home by lunch. A little drizzle greeted me right after Krishangiri which was very welcome with the heat shooting up.

Soon back at Bangalore and a tank full up later, I was home at 0230.

As I parked the Roadbuster and noted down the readings for my diligently maintained log, I was tired and sweating but smiling, happy and content with how she fared in the multitude of situations on the road and how lovely the ride was, thanks to the co riders I had, right from a 25 year told to a 57 year old, all equally capable, helping and, perfectly, nice people. I pondered what I would have missed if we had called out 'The Loop' ride that evening due to rain. I realised I had met a group of wonderful people, just not the fabulous riders, in the lady who gave us shelter without a question, the guys who served us at the resort in spite of us making a mess there, the manger of the place who wanted to take the photo of the lovely sunset as the sun shone on the reservoir in the horizon, a wonderful sight far away, just like the ride will seem to be in a few days from now.

Kudos and to more we go !

Photos :

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-s5.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-s6.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-y7.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-y8.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-y9.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-y10.jpg

'Holy Cow' !
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-y11.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-y12.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-y13.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-y14.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-y15.jpg

Chicken Strips !!!
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-16.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-y17.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-y18.jpg

Videos :

1. Ascend to Yercaud

2. Yercaud to 'Golden Nest Resort'

3. 'The Loop'

4. Descent from Yercaud - From my handlebar camera

ODO : 4880 Kms

Last edited by Sojogator : 1st August 2015 at 21:09.
Sojogator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 14:45   #105
BHPian

A Fly By The Neighbourhood !

Distance : 74 kms

Time : 2 hours (0600 till 0800 on 02 08 2015)

Bangalore - Shivanahalli - Harohalli - Bangalore

Stop : Many small ones

Average : 18 kmpl

Log:

Still not out of the biking-hangover of the over nighter at Yercaud, another weekend had arrived. There were a few plans flying around about real long ones but I did not want do one, given the monsoon and that I had done one just a week back.

Everything meant it was going to be a solo one and a short one as 1000 AM was the mark I had to hit to return. My photographer friend, who takes crazy brilliant photos of birds and animals, had suggested me the road to 'Shivanahalli'. The place is hardly 20 kilometres from home so it would be not worth waking up and doing all the pre ride rituals for that little a ride. This lead to me opening Google maps on my 24 inch screened PC, full zoom onto Shivanahalli and find roads to make it worthwhile.

Closer inspection suggested the road would take me through a forest and, with a bit of dilly dallying, would take me to Harohalli, which is a few kilometres before Kanakapura. Add destination and loop made on maps, the total distance was to be a respectable 74 kilometers. Good enough to ride ! A very short one though and probably no surprises. Well ! Gobsmack !

So, I was out at my pre decided time of 0600 AM and was wheezing through Bannerghata road. High beams blinding me, over anxious dogs galore on the road sides ready to do a suicide slayer on me and more pot holes than dogs on kanakapura roads on chilly mornings !!!

Google Navigation, talk about being dependent on Google (!!!), talking into my ears with her spot on Indian Accent and being my North Star !! Soon I took the little left lane towards Shivanahalli. This looked like a little. one bus wide or a bit more. well laid lane that was flanked by green through and through.

With the clouds and the time of the year, the sun rises later than a month back. It felt brilliant to the smog subjected lung as I breathe in some pure air. A few photos taken and soon the roads were becoming worse but nothing threatening or alarming.

The view was magnificent and to think this place was so near from where I put up was a great realization in itself.

As I continued, the tarmac soon gave way, soon after a BMTC bus went by, to trail road. Gravel, red sad and rocks. Tiger, from Triumph, territory. I pondered for a second whether I should turn around and head back or if I should continue exploring. I decided on the later.

Riding on the trail was fun and I am somewhat acquainted to how the Roadbuster behaves in these kinds of roads, thanks to my office commute, yeah Bangalore !

Soon though, the trails became rougher and going got stickier as the road sloped downwards as we went past a check post that had the sign to let everyone know that this was an elephant crossing ! Kept chugging along as Roadbuster took to it like a champion ! Never expected her to perform so well in this kind of tricky situations. You could feel the rear wiggle and move a bit, thanks to the moisture all around, but nothing worrying. The view, mostly breathtaking, helped in easing bit of the nerves too.

After a few kilometers of trail riding, the road took us straight into a village and through it I rode, with shocked eyes of villagers with smiles etched on their faces at the sight of the geared rider ! Insane, that's what they were calling me for sure. Soon, after asking a few of them and following Maps through 2 feet lanes while dodging cow crap, we met well laid tarmac again. The joy of meeting tarmac was something I was feeling for the first time. After all that trailblazing, tarmac felt orgasmically good and Roadbuster was etching to go again.

The road linked me back to the bypass from Anekal to Harohalli. Perfect tarmac painted beautifully, except for a few parts of pot hole painted, and empty, save for a few crazy helmet-devoid pulsar riders, who went crazy; shouting and gesturing; wanted to race me. I did what I always do in these situations, slowed down and let them win themselves to glory and slow down to celebrate and it worked. Accelerated then and, in no time, we were out of their sights.

Harohalli came pretty soon. Like umpteen times before in the morning, had a few gulps of water and moved towards Bangalore. Good, comparatively empty Kanakapura road took me back home in not too much time, 40 kilometers odd.

Tanked her up at Kanakapura SHELL. Fuel price looked so stunning, almost like Rosie Hu...you know who, with 6 as the first digit. Fall on crude ! Fall on !

We were home by 0800 AM so we avoided the rush that we normally encounter on the return from a Sunday morning ride. Quickly to home, done with 74 KMs in 2 hours flat, and everyone was still fast asleep at home. Weather was still lovely, grey and coldish, so decided hit the sack again

The ride felt like a dream after I woke up a couple of hours later, a dream where I clicked past the 5 0 0 0 Kms on the odometer, on a 4 feet wide road through a little forest, of a mean G reen Kawasaki Superbike!!! Absolutely living the dream ! To more we go !

Photos :

Stats:

Route:
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-2.jpg

Green And Greener
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-3.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-4.jpg

Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-5.jpg

Milestone !
Houston, we have a situation! Roadbuster - my Kawazaki Z800 - is coming in-6.jpg

ODO : 5048 Kms

Last edited by Sojogator : 6th August 2015 at 14:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks