Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2015, 16:32   #31
BHPian

Re: DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India

On Benelli bikes, while its great tradition & history remains, the performance of the company or its bikes in the recent past have not been something to write home about. Therefore, the "Chinese" tag per se does not seem so much of an issue to me, as today everything from high end I-Phones to diapers come fully made/assembled in China. Besides on the 600cc bikes, they directly ripped off the engine from a Yam R6 and did some other minor stuff to make into a bike and did not clone the bike like how the Chinese have done on many reputed brands. Well the original Hyosung 650 engine also has its DNA loosely linked to the earlier Suz SV650 engine. Similarly there is lot of crap talk on international biking forums about the BMW/TVS partnership and how people dont want an Indian made BMW etc....but we Indians know TVS is not a jing-bang company and turns out some wonderful bikes.

As for ABS, I am sure the DSK guys worked to a particular price point to introduce the 'least expensive 600cc inline-4' (lets not call it the cheapest ) and hence avoided the ABS. However, ABS technology now being a lot cheaper & simpler to integrate than a decade ago, it will relatively increase the price only marginally and I am guessing they will introduce the ABS version later depending on demand. Unless, they have taken the Indian customer for granted (like how the indian versions of many cars dont have Airbags as standard equipment).

The ride reviews so far have all been reasonably positive. HOWEVER, if somebody is considering the bike for a functional purpose (and not for bragging rights of having the first bike in his/her city or blah blah), its best to wait a few months and see how the initial bikes perform, and more importantly how the manufacturer/dealers are treating its customers, and then take the plunge if things are going well. Yes, let somebody less knowledgeable & less passionate about biking be the bakra
Haroon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 17:02   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post

As for ABS, I am sure the DSK guys worked to a particular price point to introduce the 'least expensive 600cc inline-4' (lets not call it the cheapest ) and hence avoided the ABS. However, ABS technology now being a lot cheaper & simpler to integrate than a decade ago, it will relatively increase the price only marginally and I am guessing they will introduce the ABS version later depending on demand. Unless, they have taken the Indian customer for granted (like how the indian versions of many cars dont have Airbags
I asked the management specifically about ABS since none of their bikes come with it. They said it was being developed by them and so will come when it's available.

Also, for what it's worth, the 899 and 1130 are made in Italy while the rest in China and then assembled in India.
djpeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 17:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Apparently, during their launch press conference, they said that they will introduce ABS only when 'government makes it mandatory'. Weird. I don't think they'll give ABS as an option as of now. Perhaps based on their market response?
That's the confusing part, one of the auto shows mentioned it will be available as an option, until it gets mandated by the govt. Can't remember which show it was :(
Old 22nd March 2015, 17:23   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
That's the confusing part, one of the auto shows mentioned it will be available as an option, until it gets mandated by the govt. Can't remember which show it was :(
I certainly can't comprehend the strategy of DSK on this. On one hand, they're selling high performance motorcycles and fail to provide the basic amenity of safety one would expect from such motorcycles. IMO, they should've introduced the ABS (as stock) from the 600i and upwards, and maybe as an optional on the 300. The 600i might have then shaken off all competition.

Now, now. Why do I feel that Benelli will meet the same fate in India as Hyosung? I may be wrong here, but I hope that my perception changes once I ride their inventory and read unanimous owner reviews.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 19:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Death knell for the KTM 200's/390's, Ninja 300/650's?
I too don't think so. KTM will remain a value for money bike. And it has the advantage of Made in India, with easily available spare parts and services.

By the way, great thread here. It's good to see that premium bikes market in India is growing.
docmoya2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 20:06   #36
BHPian

Well, there was one sole target while getting the BN600i (TNT600) into the Indian market. Get anything that has 4 cylinders, makes a nice noise and has underseat exhaust so that every one looking for a 'super bike' for as much less as possible has an option. I don't see them introducing the ABS in anything below the TNT899, that too would be a a doubt IMO.

I don't think they have come down here to give 'quality' and instead to pull of a chinese marketing thing. Sell them at the cheapest.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 20:19   #37
BHPian

I am *VERY* excited that Benelli have launched their bikes here, at a very reasonable price

The main negative that I see is lack of ABS across the range - I wonder why a manufacturer can leave this technology out of every bike that they have! (I don't think Benelli has ABS in any of their markets)

I think the TNT 300 is priced well along with the 600 cc variants. I think they'll do well in a market that is starved of well priced options.

I think as enthusiasts, we should appreciate DSK for the fact that they bring more options to the table than leaving us at the mercy of overpriced Japanese.

We seem to complain irrespective of the fact if bikes are priced either high or low (low -> Low Quality, high -> Priced very high etc)

I think it is too early make a call on the products. The reviews seem to be good in general. Let's wait for a couple of TBHPians to pick these and wait for the feedback!
sriramv.iyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 21:39   #38
BHPian

Just to see if DSK Benelli has given the Indian buyer short shrift on ABS fitment, I visited Benelli websites for other English speaking nations - UK and Australia - and the homepage.

On each of these sites, I found the exact same bikes as will be sold in India.

On none of these sites was I able to find Benelli bikes equipped with ABS.

To me, it seems like, whenever Benelli begins to offer the world bikes equipped with ABS, India will get them simultaneously or soon thereafter.

Also, none of the foreign bike reviewers have complained about the lack of ABS ...

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/15...photo-gallery/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-r.../tnt-899/2008/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-r...tnt-1130/2004/

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
FourWheelDrift is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 01:08   #39
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I somehow tend to agree with the opinion on the ABS here. Maybe Benelli hasnt introduced ABS on any of their bikes even internationally - and hence doesnt make sense to introduce it specifically for the Indian market. ABS technology maybe cheaper now than what it was a decade ago - but if you actually scan through the list of bikes which have it as standard - you will notice that these are newer bikes. I agree that ABS is a very important safety function on powerful bikes - but just like cars - it may take some time for motorcycle manufacturers and consumers to realize this.

Also if we look at the brakes on the 300 and the 600's - they are manufactured by Benelli. Maybe they haven't developed the ABS technology in their own braking system and hence it may not be an optional extra - because it may be expensive to re-develop it.

I feel it may be easier to get this option on the 899's and other highend bikes, because they use Brembo - and Brembo can very well supply them with ABS Brakes (and components).

Anyways, if we look at the list of superbikes sold in India - which ones come with ABS as standard? Kawasaki and Triumph (i believe) offer ABS on all their superbikes. Do Harley Davidson, Yamaha, Suzuki offer ABS on their entire range of superbikes in India?
v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Check the bike out in flesh Doc, I am super impressed. The smoothness of the inline four makes it seem car like, compared to the rotary mixer harley or a little better triumph and Ninja. Thank god the twin cylinder vibes are absent this being a 4 cylinder. The GT600 with the touring boxes is perfect for a two up long biking trip, and the engine is very tractable pulling cleanly from 30kmph in 6th to the top end, the engine howl is great.
Btw the crash guard is not a fixed part, looks more like an added accessory. I agree the bike may not be a great looker but it feels immensely useful and practical for its purpose that is touring.
I do want to ride the naked 600. And if the opportunity presents itself, I will. I don't see myself getting astride the GT tourer though. For me bikes are not only about the performance but the entire package. And the GT fails there, for me at least. There was one photo from the back of that bike, where one can see really how much those boxes jut outwards to the sides. In our country at least, that's accidents waiting to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Quote from the write-up:

"It's not that the RK600 is a bad bike. Well, it's not a terribly good one either, but there's not much wrong with ripping off the motor from a pre-2005 R6 then sticking it in a Steel Trellis/Cast Aluminum pivot plate frame ripped off from an Aprilia Shiver 750."
I agree. Not a bad thing per se. The trllis frame and swingarm look the part. And R6 engine is an R6 engine, does not really matter which generation it belongs to. Its not like most of us bikers here are riding cutting edge technology machines here anways. Not a large majority of us anyways. Internationally, the bike markets is like computers and smartphones. A new model every year with incremental advances. While most of us get new paint jobs, stickers and 3D badges. So am not really fussed by the fact that its a pre 2005 R6 engine. If anything, I see the R6 bit it as a positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
ebonho

Would you buy a Keeway Rkx600 over a Kwak?

I don't think so.

Therefore why would you buy the same thing rebadged and masquerading as an 'Italian'?
Everything put together, if I HAD to pick one over the other, I would buy a 72 bhp Versys over the 85 bhp Benelli. Or the Suzuki V Strom 650 if one came down to it and expanded the choice. Not just from the fit and finish and quality perspective, or the Jap vs Chinese argument (a very valid one), but much more importantly the fact that one product is backed by Bajaj and the other by DSK. For me, that would be the tipping argument. Not as sure about Suzuki in terms of support for India, though dfefinitely a whole lot more than DSK.

That said, I would not buy the 72 bhp Ninja over the 85 bhp Benelli. Or even the ER6N. For that kind of money, I would buy neither. Neither would I buy either the V Strom or the Versys, if I did not absolutely have to.

I would save my money for a mid sized KTM. With an almost brand new 390, I can afford to wait for the 2 odd years that's going to take. A 690 Duke or SM or Adventure would have been perfect. But now that those are not going to happen, the 800 (more than the 500) Chakan developed and manufactured world V twin is what I have set my sights on ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Kawasaki and Triumph (i believe) offer ABS on all their superbikes.
Kawasaki does not give us ABS for their 650s. Though their 650s sold abroad have it. I do not understand why. Seeing the multiple brake related issues one hears with the 650, I think ABS should definitely be offered to indian customers, when it is already there on the same bikes abroad. Someone who is spending 5.5 to 6 lacs on a bike in India is either an enthusiast or has money. Either way, he will not complain about the addition.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd March 2015 at 13:19.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:18   #41
BHPian

I just did a quick stopover at the showroom and boy does that 300 sound nice!!
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

My friend visited the DSK-Benelli showroom at Bangalore yesterday. As of now, there is no test bike there. The showroom folk though, fired up the bikes and gave him an 'earful'. My friend seems to be sold on that alone. He says the 300 sounds good, but the 600 is glorious!

The price list has a surprising point though. The 300 is listed with two 'variants', M and P; and there is a Rs.10000/- difference the two. According to the info provided by the showroom folk, the difference is the tyres. M stands for MRF tyres and P stands for Pirelli tyres.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150323_131504.png
Views: 3369
Size:  302.7 KB
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:24   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratap.pratu View Post
Also why isn't suzuki doing anything when japos, brits, italians and americans are all adding some striking and competitive upgraded models in their portfolio?

Suzuki is the only major player who seem to be content sitting on the fences rather than running the race. They should have got the GZ250 Marauder here instead of the Inazuma as their first 250 cc launch. It would have given them a strong foothold in the market.

Benelli and DSK are in a position to create mayhem in the market. They have got the first part right in pricing. I hope they follow up with a stellar post sales service effort.
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

6.25 lacs on the road in Bangalore means about 5.5 lacs on the road in Pune.

That makes the naked 600 a very serious alternative to those riders who either like the I4 aural note (very few would not, over what the Kawasaki twins sound like) and/or those riders with a larger than normal risk appetite and/or more easily disposable/losable funds who see the extra 13 horses as a serious overriding argument.

Weight for weight, 13 extra horses from an inline 4 versus a twin will make a perceptible difference on the road.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 14:51   #45
BHPian

Doc, the GT doesnt come with the side boxes, the GTS is with side boxes, the revs of the engine was something, a tourer with a superbike engine, that sure is drawing me very close to the GT, infact, am pretty much decided, waiting for a test ride two up and will finalize.
Khodays is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks