Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2015, 20:10   #106
BHPian

re: Honda to assemble CBR 650 in India!

I was tired of waiting and decided to call Honda Wings Dealer in Delhi a couple of weeks back. Here is how the conversion went:

Me: Any news on CBR650F launch date?
He: Sir, July.
Me: First half or Second Half?
He: First half
Me: Expected Price?
He: No official news but around 8 Lakhs.
Me: 8 ex-showroom or On road?
He: On Road.
Me: When can we expect test drives?
He: In July only
Me: Keep me posted on progress as I want to book it as soon as possible.
He: Okay, will keep you posted.

4th July launch seems a good news. 3rd July is my birthday.

I have been really resisting the temptation to call them again and have been checking every forum daily for any new updates. It has been a long wait.

Fingers crossed.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 21:50   #107
BHPian

Looks like the launch is real close. Just came across this article by a auto/motorbike website showing a teaser of honda cbr 650's review :http://motohive.in/exclusive-ride-review-coming-up/
Old 25th June 2015, 06:03   #108
Senior - BHPian

The next 2 weeks i will constantly be praying for it to be under 7 Ex-showroom.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 13:48   #109
Senior - BHPian

Good review here from an Indian perspective.

http://motohive.in/honda-cbr650f-ride-review/
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 18:48   #110
BHPian

Bike looks lovely in white! But i suppose they might launch the Red and the HRC scheme first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
And I am praying that Honda surprise us by pricing it at 7 OTR Delhi
loki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 19:19   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually; I am quite certain it'll be 7 lac ish OTR Delhi; not 8. For pricing; I usually just look at the prevailing prices in UK and convert them to INR. CBR 650 retails at GBP 7k

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Good review here from an Indian perspective
To me; it felt like I was reading an advert for the bike. Not doubting the intenions of the reviewer here but just lack of experience riding "big" bikes. He seemed quite enamoured with it and the comments feel like they are more from the heart and not very objective

Per firangi reviews, whats good:

- Looks good
- Comfy ergos
- Respectably fast
- can carry pillion in comfort
- Good braking
- Sorted ride & handling

Whats not:

- Pricey as compared to competition (SV 650, MT 07. Apparently; yamaha cant produce these fast enough to keep up with demand)
- Footpegs scrape rather easily. not much cornering clearance
- Fit n finish leaves you wanting in some places
- Plain looks. Good, but plain (with hints fom GSXR)
- Quirk : Horn and indicator placement is interchanged from how it is on regular bikes. You will foul these up until the end of your learning curve

Comes across as a jack of all trades, master of none. Can be good or bad based on what you expect your bike to do

But the firangi reviews do point out one very sad truth. How very matured their 2 wheeler market is and ours ......... not so much. Bikes like these are considered "average" aross the world; and we wait with baited breath for one of these to arrive. Not only that; we will ourselves take great pains to justify riduculous pricing in the name of "brand', looks, noise, number of cylinders etc

We really need to get more discerning and demand for more

Apologies for the rant

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 26th June 2015 at 19:46.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2015, 14:58   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
To me; it felt like I was reading an advert for the bike. Not doubting the intenions of the reviewer here but just lack of experience riding "big" bikes.
Exactly why I found the review useful because I am one of the target audience who has little or no experience with any "big" bikes.

Quote:
He seemed quite enamoured with it and the comments feel like they are more from the heart and not very objective
Of course anybody can compare the specs and be objective. But I like to read reviews which explains how the rider felt on a bike rather than how the manufacturer intended the bike to be felt.

Quote:
- Pricey as compared to competition (SV 650, MT 07. Apparently; yamaha cant produce these fast enough to keep up with demand)
Agreed, but what is the point in comparing it against models that are not at all available for us? Its a sad and dirty truth that budget constrained bikers in the country still do not have the luxury of options on what they like and what they can buy.

Quote:
- Footpegs scrape rather easily. not much cornering clearance
Agreed, rearsets might me an essential investment.
Old 27th June 2015, 15:29   #113
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
- Respectably fast
What is respectably fast for firangs is fast enough to kill yourself very quickly for us.

240 kmph is more than "respectable" for me as a rider who find 200 kmph very fast. For now.

And personally I find the bike very nice looking. Nothing stands out to sour the impression.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th June 2015 at 15:30.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2015, 23:11   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
What is respectably fast for firangs is fast enough to kill yourself very quickly for us.
Ha Ha Ha. Very true. My first ride on an inline 4 was on the Z800. Even after riding the Ninja 650, nothing prepared me for the shock I had on the Z800. 90 Km/hr never felt so scary. Trust me.

In an attempt to ride her fast so that I could test the wind blast, I almost ended up wetting my pants. Loved every bit of it though.

Regards
Rachit
Old 28th June 2015, 10:55   #115
BHPian

In addition to the absolute number of top speed, fast is also relative. I almost always tour solo and my Bonneville, albeit only 60 bhp, will comfortably smoke most 'vehicles', leaving them as a speck in my rear view mirror. I find the Bonneville quick by such standards. If I was travelling in a group with the Street Triples or N800s i'm sure the Bonneville will seem slow on open roads.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 13:41   #116
Senior - BHPian

Been at the 650F forums for almost 2 years now, made quite a bit of friends in the UK, US and ofcourse Thailand(the first owners). The bike is attracting 600RR owners and 500R owners in large numbers as the former require comfort for all day rides and the latter yearn for a bit more highway power.
The fit and finish is on par with any other big bike in their stable, no complaints even from the 1000RR and VFR owners who bought it as a second bike.
There is a minor issue with vibrations between 5.8-6.2k rpm and it is pretty troublesome for most and a non issue for others, the former owners came from parallel twins so the i-4 vibes are something they're not used to and the latter come from the RRs so they find it pretty normal. Ofcourse the Achilles heel of any i-4 is the 2nd order vibrations that is the most difficult to resolve, especially when the engine is in its first year of development.
Counter measures to reduce vibes are investing in heavier bar ends(HVMP) and thicker grip cover.
The stock Dunlops are a good balance between grip and longevity but swapping them for Pirelli Rossos or Michelin Pilot Sports is your first and basic upgrade. With better grip the bike is more than capable for the track, add in a steering damper if you have the budget.
The stock Showa front suspension is well sprung and there is negligible dive compared to the 250R and the 500R. The rear shock does its job but an Ohlins upgrade is a must for better feel and adjustability esp if you are over 80 kg.
The owners hated the sight of the banana seat at first but the seat cowl resolved that issue, they also found it much more easier to carry a pillion than their SS or SBKs, so i guess that's a good thing.
Fuel efficiency is anywhere between 16kmpl and 23kmpl depending on how fast or how sedately you ride.
Service interval is 12000 kms after the first 1000 km oil and filter change.
Valve adjustments every 24000 kms.
The bike comes equipped with HISS safety equipment and ABS, one saves you from theft the other from idiots.
Another issue is that when the bike idles, it sounds like a diesel engine. This is due to the exhaust gas recirculation system(EGR) and PAIR valves create an awkward sound when riding at slow speeds.
Oh and the stock exhaust is very silent until 6k rpm. It whistles more and you would think you're riding a bicycle till you give more gas.
Aftermarket Akras, Arrow or Yoshis are in good demand, a few went for cheaper Brazilian made pipes that spit fire at full revvs. Plenty of exhaust options coming up every few months.

If you want to retain stock exhaust and get louder note, you have to cut that gigantic metal box under the bike open and remove the plates and then weld that box back in place but you will void warranty for any problem that arises from it. No slip-ons possible, only full systems are required since the exhaust pipe to can is one-piece. So you remove the header bolts of the stock and replace the whole unit with the aftermarket one.

For anyone curious of the 1/4 mile times in stock trim, the bike can run mid to high 11s from factory. A naked CB650F owner ran 12.1 after botching his reaction time.

OH and owners of KA have a bad news, the bike will only be sold through Silicon Honda in Bangalore and bookings are said to be open from August. Display bikes will be available from July, no word on test rides being offered(and looking at how many people are trashing the RC test ride bikes, i don't blame them if they refuse to offer any without potential buyers offering booking amount/safety deposit)

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 28th June 2015 at 13:44.
Nithesh_M is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 14:55   #117
BHPian

Quote:
To me; it felt like I was reading an advert for the bike. Not doubting the intenions of the reviewer here but just lack of experience riding "big" bikes. He seemed quite enamoured with it and the comments feel like they are more from the heart and not very objective
Lack of experience is actually riding fz1 day in day out for more than a year (say 10000+ kms) before the other multi cylinder motorcycles he owned.

The review is what aam junta would read and understand and not for those who are looking out for a drag stats between n650/sv650/cbr650 and top speeds and stuff. That's what I felt after reading the review. Usability and practical point of view is very important when one decides to buy a big bike.
Old 28th June 2015, 20:56   #118
BHPian

Quote:

I know the reviewer and you can trust me there is no lack of big bike riding experience there. However, I do agree with the first point the review seems very goody-goody and would have liked more "pro-con" segmentation. Also, would have liked the review to be more detail oriented.

Quote:
Been at the 650F forums for almost 2 years now, made quite a bit of friends in the UK, US and ofcourse Thailand(the first owners). The bike is attracting 600RR owners and 500R owners in large numbers as the former require comfort for all day rides and the latter yearn for a bit more highway power.
Thanks for sharing. I find this review very relevant and useful.
Old 29th June 2015, 23:05   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly why I found the review useful because I am one of the target audience who has little or no experience with any "big" bikes.
Look at it this way bud. You are just getting your feet wet with something you have no prior experience of. Say ........ the stock market. Whom would you consult? A newbie like yourself or someone who has crunched numbers successfully all of their lives?

Your "newbie" status vis a vis riding multi cylinder bikes will be short lived once you have owned it. The "from the heart" stuff related to initial euphoria of purchasing a new machine will die down after sometime

Not questioning why you liked the review but simply putting my point across for why I felt the review felt incomplete and not very thorough

Quote:
Of course anybody can compare the specs and be objective. But I like to read reviews which explains how the rider felt on a bike rather than how the manufacturer intended the bike to be felt.
Objectivity is not limited to specs and misc. numbers. What you need is objectivity whilst describing the nature of the beast. What shortcomings of the motorcycle did you come across with that review? I love it when the "seasoned" reviewers can talk (for example) confidently about things like chasis flex; how the suspension is set up (rebound and damping) etc. I for one appreciate that level of detail

Quote:
Agreed, but what is the point in comparing it against models that are not at all available for us
Here's the thing. The bikes that the CBR is usually compared to (some of those listed by me in the previous post); have beaten it hollow in every shootout. AND; the Honda is the latest kid on the block while others have been around for a while. They still hand the Honda its rear end back in almost every parameter. This is not a bike that IMO deserves a hefty price tag and is treated the world over as an average product. Not an object of lust for me; just saying

Quote:
Yes sir! Agreed

Similar power to weight ratios and the Ninja actually has a better torque figures; that too at a lower RPM

I am just struggling as to where this motorcycle fits in?

Sports tourer: You have the very able Ninja 650 here; in a naked form if you so please. Its silent and shy demeanor can be easily transormed with a whole host of slip ons readily available (Not that the CBR is a screamer either). Excellent torque; more speed than I want to ever go touring on, takes a pillion with ease. Down point - the handlebar can make the rider feel sort of "disconnected" with the front end. That said; it can be easily remedied by a set of aftermarket clip ons. Also, its is recommended that one upgrades the brakes. Lack of ABS is another put off

Track machine: Low pegs, non adjustable suspension (rear can be adjusted, but for preload only), Single "banana" seat - not the most ideal whilst trying to hang off

Not trying to diss anyone who is looking at this motorcycle as their potential next. I cant see where it fits in the grand scheme of things; thats all. IMO; someone who wants to tick fairing, sportbike & inline 4 from their bucket list, without investing in a litre bike will be going for this. Of course; stats are one thing and maybe I have a completely different perspective post riding one. But as of today; this is my opinion

Quote:
And personally I find the bike very nice looking. Nothing stands out to sour the impression.
Never said its a bad looking bike. Looks nice. Doesnt say "CBR" at the first glance though. That front end is to be blamed IMO

Quote:
Been at the 650F forums for almost 2 years now
Time well spent sir! Wonderfully detailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
Lack of experience is actually riding fz1 day in day out for more than a year (say 10000+ kms) before the other multi cylinder motorcycles he owned. .
Too bad it doesnt translate as such in the penmanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
The review is what aam junta would read and understand and not for those who are looking out for a drag stats between n650/sv650/cbr650 and top speeds and stuff. That's what I felt after reading the review. Usability and practical point of view is very important when one decides to buy a big bike.
What usability and practical bits were you able to infer from this review? I am not asking for drag stats or top speed and "stuff". Does the review tell me:

- How will it deal with our road conditions
- How will it perform in Indian summers during stop go traffic
- At least in the UK, where he reviewed the bike; what all accessories were available and how were they priced
- How easy / difficult is to to tie down luggage
- Again, going by mutiple reviews (confirmed by Nitesh above) the engine is not typically "Honda smooth" and you can feel some vibes as the revs climb. Would have been nice to see his views on the topic (along with reports of "false shifts")

He speaks of easily achieving "extreme lean angles with ease". Really? The world; which has had this bike to thrash around for a while now, is screaming itself hoarse that the footpegs grind down at very average leans and cornering clearance is compromised to make way for an easy riding position

If its just another review in firang land; there are many better ones that I can read; & have read. I would expect the above queries to be answered in a true blue desi review. Most of them; if not all

I can understand you are defending the creation of someone who may be a dear friend; or at least someone you know well but lets be reasonable here. Honest feedback will only make him better at this. False praise will get him nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelestial View Post
I know the reviewer and you can trust me there is no lack of big bike riding experience there. However, I do agree with the first point the review seems very goody-goody and would have liked more "pro-con" segmentation. Also, would have liked the review to be more detail oriented
Agree with you. Its nice that he has all that experience riding big bikes but probabaly should have put in more time and thought while compiling the article. Hope his next one is absolutely cracking!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd July 2015 at 18:05. Reason: Removing 1 line. Please avoid discussions on high-speeds, as per the forum rules. Thanks.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 17:11   #120
BHPian

I have read few reviews and posts on CBR650F. Some have praised it and the others have given negative comments. If you look at the forums, I see one point that is being raised - "What was Honda's thought in positioning CBR650F ?". Based on reading few of the posts, there seems to be some confusion around that point. I feel it will still be an attractive option (provided the pricing is decent) for the following reasons.

1. Being an Inline 4 - It is going to attract guys who say "An Inline-4 is an Inline-4".
2. It imitates a SS bike in terms of styling, seating ergonomics,.etc. . Though it is not a SS technically, it will be appealing for guys who look for a SS (or an SS like) on a budget.

People refer Ninja 650 as an all rounder. In my opinion, even CBR650F looks like an all rounder. It may not be as sporty as 600RR/ZX6R, but it tries to imitate them. It may not be as practical as SV650/Ninja 650, but it is definitely more comfortable than any of of the SS bikes. I have no doubt that 650F is going to have a market, but it all depends on the pricing.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd July 2015 at 18:05. Reason: Removing part of quoted post. Please avoid discussions on high-speeds, as per the forum rules. Thanks.
shan_ned is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed