Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Looks stunning in red! Congrats!

Nice gear too
Thanks jkdas
Regards,
Anikesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Congrats Danikesh, that's a wonderful 1st bike to have. A word of caution though, do have a measure of restraint on the throttle hand. If you're not used to riding, the acceleration might catch you by surprise. The good thing is it's a really flexible engine, so you can easily ride in higher gears minimizing the chance of being caught unprepared in lower gears/high revs.
Thanks Ricci, I’ll keep that in mind.
Regards,
Anikesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Congratulations. Looks stunning.
BTW, since you are saying this is your first bike, are you implying that this is the first time you're owning your own bike or are you new to biking itself? Just curious
Ride safe
Thanks Redliner, Yes this my first motorcycle and Yes I am a newbie.
Regards,
Anikesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyanish View Post
Congrats Ricci and Danikesh, awesome colours!

My heart has been oozing out with temptation to buy this beauty but then my brain starts to debate, Superbike in a day-to-day lifestyle in India is not easy?!? But I had visited the Triumph showroom a month back and since then I have been planning on how to save money for this peach of a sbk.

I've got a question for you guys and since you have got the 675 recently, you'll be in a state of mind to answer this clearly. I currently drive a CBR 250, is it a good idea to upgrade to a Daytona 675? or is it like too much too handle? I also like the street triple and the speed triple but this one is just strikingly beautiful. FYI I'm a sane driver but I'd like to have the extra number of horses beneath me. Please advise.
Thanks and enjoy riding safe!
Thanks abbyanish, I don’t know much about CBR250 but if a newbie like me can handle this beast then an experienced rider like you shouldn’t have any problem. The only problem I have is the heat issue and I have been told that all SBKs suffer from this. Please do correct me If I am wrong
Regards,
Anikesh
3danikesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 12:52   #47
BHPian

Re: Triumph Daytona 675 flies in! Welcome home, Ravensoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3danikesh View Post
Congratulation Ricci, I took delivery of my bike couple of hrs back.
Its my first ever bike :-)
Heartiest congratulations on your bike! It looks dashing in flesh. Wish you million miles together!

Quote:
Congrats Ricci and Danikesh, awesome colours!

My heart has been oozing out with temptation to buy this beauty but then my brain starts to debate, Superbike in a day-to-day lifestyle in India is not easy?!? But I had visited the Triumph showroom a month back and since then I have been planning on how to save money for this peach of a sbk.

I've got a question for you guys and since you have got the 675 recently, you'll be in a state of mind to answer this clearly. I currently drive a CBR 250, is it a good idea to upgrade to a Daytona 675? or is it like too much too handle? I also like the street triple and the speed triple but this one is just strikingly beautiful. FYI I'm a sane driver but I'd like to have the extra number of horses beneath me. Please advise.

Thanks and enjoy riding safe!
I use a CBR 250 for daily commuting and last weekend had the opportunity to ride the Daytona and the Tiger 800 extensively. In my opinion, if you're fine with the more committed sitting position and know how to use your right hand judiciously, you'll be just fine with the Daytona. It's an engineering marvel and is forgiving to a certain extent. And since it's not as huge as the liter class bikes, you'll be at home on it. One thing that I really liked is that the Daytona has a good amount of seating space for you to find your perfect position.
Fair warning: Although the power delivery is not as brutal as the liter class, an enthusiastic twitch of the right hand is enough to make the front airborne.
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 00:40   #48

Quote:
If you're comfortable with the CBR250R's 160-170kg weight, you will manage fine with the Daytona/Street Triple. They are heavier and more critically, the centre of gravity is higher, but manageable for a seasoned 200cc+ bike rider.
The Speed Triple has a little more power (133) than the Daytona (126), and lot more torque. It looks quite a bit different, so if you dig fat underseat cans or single sided swingarms, the Speed Triple has that.
Thanks a lot for your input here.
Fortunately for me I haven't had any situation with the weight of the CBR250 and I have pushed the bike to about 80% of the limit and not just in straight lines.

I see you say that Daytona has a higher centre of gravity. Isn't it right to have the centre of gravity lower as the displacement gets bigger? Correct me if I'm wrong, I was in a belief that the heavier engines and aero package puts the bike's centre of gravity to the lowest possible state.

I'm a sucker for single side swingarms but not a big fan of underseat cans. But anyhow 1050 is just too much for me with my experience of SBKs. Its either daytona or street triple in another 6 months hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [URL="https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/3danikesh.html"
3danikesh[/url]]Thanks abbyanish, I don’t know much about CBR250 but if a newbie like me can handle this beast then an experienced rider like you shouldn’t have any problem. The only problem I have is the heat issue and I have been told that all SBKs suffer from this. Please do correct me If I am wrong
Regards,
Anikesh

Very well Anikesh you are very modest I believe and I'm no pro in SBKs either. I have been riding my bro's CBR 250 since one year and I believe I would enjoy more horsepower. Heat issues are very common and if not, the right way when you drive a sports bike especially within city. I simply cannot drive the CBR250 in the city with just my sandals or flipflops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Heartiest congratulations on your bike! It looks dashing in flesh. Wish you million miles together!

I use a CBR 250 for daily commuting and last weekend had the opportunity to ride the Daytona and the Tiger 800 extensively. In my opinion, if you're fine with the more committed sitting position and know how to use your right hand judiciously, you'll be just fine with the Daytona. It's an engineering marvel and is forgiving to a certain extent. And since it's not as huge as the liter class bikes, you'll be at home on it. One thing that I really liked is that the Daytona has a good amount of seating space for you to find your perfect position.
Fair warning: Although the power delivery is not as brutal as the liter class, an enthusiastic twitch of the right hand is enough to make the front airborne.
Thanks dreamseller!
I'm always a sane motorist so I wont worry about my right hand much but the regard is highly appreciated. My most usage would be city commuting and short trips covering upto 1000 kms. As far the research I've done, its street triple for the city and Daytona for the long distant mile muncher. Confused on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post

Thanks dreamseller!
I'm always a sane motorist so I wont worry about my right hand much but the regard is highly appreciated. My most usage would be city commuting and short trips covering upto 1000 kms. As far the research I've done, its street triple for the city and Daytona for the long distant mile muncher. Confused on this.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st October 2014 at 01:09. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Old 1st October 2014, 21:41   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't it right to have the centre of gravity lower as the displacement gets bigger? Correct me if I'm wrong, I was in a belief that the heavier engines and aero package puts the bike's centre of gravity to the lowest possible state.
No, it's higher. The engine needs to be placed higher in order to leave enough clearance for lean angles. This is partly why V4s are loved by some, their narrower width allows lower placement although the V-angle brings its own problems of weight lengthwise weight distribution. Plus, the frame and forks of big bikes are heavier, so overall the CofG goes up, not down.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 10:44   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot, Redliner. I hope too your Daytona arrives a lot sooner than that. Anyway, it's a good thing for me and other buyers - more sales means more likelihood of parts - stock and aftermarket available. And to show the Japanese 4 what they missed had they been more adventurous in India, considering that the main markets (US and Europe) have shrunk since 2008.
Yes. I hope the Japanese bring their lineup at least by the time I can afford one (esp. ZX6R). There will be more choices and hopefully that brings the pricing to a sane level too(not likely though). For now, I'm looking at something within my reach. A mini RC8, that is

Quote:
Thanks Redliner, Yes this my first motorcycle and Yes I am a newbie.
Regards,
Anikesh
Wow. That's a wonderful and a very dangerous first motorcycle to have. Ride safe. The gear looks superb. Can you please provide the names of your gear?
Old 3rd October 2014, 13:11   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Yes. I hope the Japanese bring their lineup at least by the time I can afford one (esp. ZX6R). There will be more choices and hopefully that brings the pricing to a sane level too(not likely though). For now, I'm looking at something within my reach. A mini RC8, that is

Wow. That's a wonderful and a very dangerous first motorcycle to have. Ride safe. The gear looks superb. Can you please provide the names of your gear?
Alpinestars Fending Air Jacket Red
Alpinestars Masai Gloves
Alpinestars S-MX 1.1 Boots
LS-2 Carbon Fiber Helmet 2013 (Don't remember the exact model no.)
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Daytona 675 flies in! Welcome home, Ravensoul-alpinestars-fending-air-jacket-red.jpg  

Triumph Daytona 675 flies in! Welcome home, Ravensoul-alpinestars-masai-gloves.jpg  

Triumph Daytona 675 flies in! Welcome home, Ravensoul-alpinestars-smx-1.1-boots.jpg  

Triumph Daytona 675 flies in! Welcome home, Ravensoul-ls2-carbon-fiber-2013.jpg  

3danikesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 21:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alpinestars Fending Air Jacket Red
Alpinestars Masai Gloves
Alpinestars S-MX 1.1 Boots
LS-2 Carbon Fiber Helmet 2013 (Don't remember the exact model no.)
Nice gear!

But do not ignore the lower half of your body mate. Get yourself a good set of riding pants with armour. At the very least, get yourself a good set of strap on knee guards. Your lower body, ie. knees, ankles & foot will probably be the first to make contact with the ground in case you come off your bike. Knee injury is not something you want. its painful, takes a long time to recover and often does not fully heal.

Congos on the Daytona. Since you are new to riding, I would also recommend reading a few books to get yourself better aquainted to riding:

- Nick Ienastch : Sport riding techniques (The best one IMO)
- David Hough : Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well
- Keith Code : Twist of the wrist (I watched the video documentary)

All the best man. Ride hard and stay safe
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 19:03   #53

Quote:
No, it's higher. The engine needs to be placed higher in order to leave enough clearance for lean angles. This is partly why V4s are loved by some, their narrower width allows lower placement although the V-angle brings its own problems of weight lengthwise weight distribution. Plus, the frame and forks of big bikes are heavier, so overall the CofG goes up, not down.
I was completely wrong there, thanks for the info mate
Old 29th October 2014, 23:32   #54
BHPian

Not a lot to update, since I haven't got much riding done owing to erratic rains, a little bit of overspending delaying my riding gear upgrades.

I got the first service done, which is just an oil change with oil+fuel filter also replaced. The service cost is INR 6000 and stays the same for all Triumph bikes, at least this side of the Thunderbird and Rocket giants.

Being my first SBK and thus being paranoid, I'm also eye-balling every piece of protection. I have the OEM frame protector/slider installed, cost INR 9000. R&G frame slider set costs about INR 15000. Still pending items are engine covers which I gather cost INR 10000 for the OEM Triumph branded one and more for other aftermarket kit, and a radiator guard for which no OE option yet, have the R&G guard in mind but will explore other options.

Now that my new helmet is here, and the rains seem over, should get down to riding this weekend.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 20:33   #55
BHPian

Got Arrow exhaust installed yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Daytona 675 flies in! Welcome home, Ravensoul-my-daytona-arrow-installed.jpg  

Triumph Daytona 675 flies in! Welcome home, Ravensoul-my-daytona-arrow-installed-2.jpg  

Triumph Daytona 675 flies in! Welcome home, Ravensoul-my-daytona-arrow-installed-4.jpg  

Triumph Daytona 675 flies in! Welcome home, Ravensoul-my-daytona-arrow-installed-3.jpg  

3danikesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 12:28   #56
Senior - BHPian

Congrtulations Ricci,
It's one best bike one can buy even if one has loads of money.
Quote:
Got Arrow exhaust installed yesterday
Congratulations... It's one of the very best investment you have made on the bike.
With arrow exhaust, it's music to ears
How much did it cost ? 56K Inr ?

I had my friend's bike with me for a day... Daytona 675, it's an awesome awesome machine..
Braking is so precise, it's even better than my CIVIC
Myself with Daytona
(It has Arrow exhasust too)
Triumph Daytona 675 flies in! Welcome home, Ravensoul-dsc_0243.jpg
Old 17th November 2014, 18:09   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Congrtulations Ricci,
It's one best bike one can buy even if one has loads of money.

Congratulations... It's one of the very best investment you have made on the bike.
With arrow exhaust, it's music to ears
How much did it cost ? 56K Inr ?

I had my friend's bike with me for a day... Daytona 675, it's an awesome awesome machine..
Braking is so precise, it's even better than my CIVIC
Myself with Daytona
(It has Arrow exhasust too)
Attachment 1309489
Thanks sushrutha,
It's a totally different beast now, especially after 6K RPM
It was around 42K INR including Installation and ECU MAP
3danikesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 22:07   #58
BHPian

1300km update

I have been on a couple of rides with the unofficial Triumph rider group, an assortment of mostly Bonnies, Tigers and the odd powercruisers : a Thunderbird Storm and Rocket III. Sometimes the Triumph dealership manager joins on a KTM Duke 390 (his personal ride, one of them).

Technical problems since the ABS at delivery: none. One odd thing is the handle-bar lock will lock only to the left, not to the right.
Fuel consumption : ~17km/l , have not measured exact figure. the on board computer showed 18.5

On today's ride, I hit another personal best in terms of speed, not mentioning to appease the Team BHP gods, er, mods

It is scary at those speeds, thinking what if scenarios, so despite the others running ahead of me - and Ravensoul being the only supersport in the bunch - I was riding more cautiously and only hit that once.

The utility plastics (not the fairings) would be better in terms fit. The added on rear-mudguard flap (the flat piece which is bolted to the thinner stem which is the default in EU, without the flat flap ) tends to rattle on potholes, as do the mirror stems. The rear view is not blurred at any speed, it's just the stalks that shake a bit when the road is bumpy, and those sounds of the mirror stem and mudguard are 2 of the 3 annoyances. The right side mirror coverage is a bit poor, I have to move my head to get a better view, and they are not adjustable unfortunately.

The suspension is stiff, at low speed or high. I do feel the bike doesn't like braking in corners, something the R15 I rode once, seemed happier. Maybe I need to setup the suspension to my preference, but I expected better handling response , it seems to be unsettled if braking in a corner.
The engine is doing great, the sound is super and response instant. I can feel a faint vibration through the footpegs, nothing bothersome. The Duke 390 is very competent and not just kept up with the group and stayed ahead much of the way, only behind the fastest rider on the Thunderbird Storm. Of course, when the traffic thins out enough for my comfort level , then only I'd gun the throttle and close the gap ; and if I was close enough - say a 100-200 meters, simply opening throttle in 6th gear is enough to reel them in. Not just the Duke, but even an Arrow equipped Street Triple. All said, more than the bike it's the rider's risk appetite/comfort level that determines who gets ahead, along with luck - slow traffic hogging both lanes, people coming the wrong way, trucks taking slow u-turns, all tend to keep speed in check and this is where the Rocket and Storm made the most of their humongous torque.

The horn is a pip-squeak, no one pays attention to it. Blipping throttle works better. The headlights too, seem to be added for legal compliance. I have not tried adjusting for throw, but this is one bugbear sportbike riders of all brands have long complained of, for decades. Guess I should have bought a ZX-14 if I want good headlights.

The brakes are good, I'm still learning them, and haven't tried hard stops deliberately, but did have to brake sometimes for trucks taking u-turns or changing lanes unexpectedly. The rear works ok at city speeds, and there's a bit of squeak/metallic grinding kind of noise emanating only from the rear.

The biggest annoyance is the console. It doesn't show all the important readings by default, the main numbers shown is DTE. The odo flashes at startup, and navigating through the settings for units, tripmeters is confusing. I wish it showed the odo and trip reading at all times.

By the end of the ride though, the evening traffic was making progress slow and I was beginning to feel fatigued , wrists mainly with intermitted back ache. I'm not in the best shape/fitness though. Riding a committed superport in traffic is akin to punishment. While the bike may be able to deal with the slow speed and higher engine running temperature in slow traffic, I don't relish riding in slow traffic. A more comfy sport-tourer may be my calling , despite my lust for supersports.

Last edited by Ricci : 14th December 2014 at 22:32.
Ricci is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 17:55   #59
BHPian

Congrats Ricci. That is a serious bike you got there.

Regarding your concern on its handling, it is most likely related to how the suspension is set up. It is not an easy task to set it up to your liking - certainly cannot be done by just turning a few dials (unless you get very lucky.) You need 3 people to do it right (including the rider)

I have had this done a few times (on my 851, 916, 996 and the 996R), and watched it several times. I will be more than happy to give you a hand. I just hope the spring rates on your bike is aligned with your weight (including all the gear) - or it will be difficult to set up the sag right. We will need some one who is big and strong (seriously NO joking)

Once you get the base setup, you can start playing with the settings one step at a time and one parameter at a time.

First and foremost write down the current settings - for comp/rebound/preload (front and back) - so you have a reference point.

If you ever go to MMSC for a track day - let me know. I can be your track side suspension support guy ! until I get a bike myself. My 996 SPS is collecting dust in my sister's house in California.

Enjoy the bike and ride safe..

Ahh...just noticed you are in Pune..so quite far away.

Krishna

Last edited by ksanjee : 19th December 2014 at 18:10.
Old 21st December 2014, 20:06   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanjee View Post
Congrats Ricci. That is a serious bike you got there.

Regarding your concern on its handling, it is most likely related to how the suspension is set up. It is not an easy task to set it up to your liking - certainly cannot be done by just turning a few dials (unless you get very lucky.)
I just hope the spring rates on your bike is aligned with your weight (including all the gear) - or it will be difficult to set up the sag right. We will need some one who is big and strong (seriously NO joking)

If you ever go to MMSC for a track day - let me know. I can be your track side suspension support guy ! until I get a bike myself. My 996 SPS is collecting dust in my sister's house in California.
Thanks for the offer , Krishna, I'd be honoured to have you for a trackday tech support. Being from Pune as you note, does restrict the track option, had one been in the Pune-Mumbai-Nashik corridor, I would certainly do one, at least distance-wise it makes the logistics more feasible.

The spring rates aren't mentioned anywhere in the manual. It may be hard to find out online as well, best option would be to get hold a spare and measure it ourselves? The OE spring rate should be fairly well suited for my weight given it's a European bike, so the average weight of European/American riders is fairly close to mine, just not my height ! After all, you can't manufacture mass market products customized for every buyer , so I reckon the springs are a good approximation of what suits the median bunch of riders.

I do intend to try my hand with the settings, but before I do that, I'll study the effects of each.

Most Viewed