Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2014, 11:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
3. It seems like it's going to be a task to keep her clean and spanking new
4. I can't find neutral easily. Any tips and tricks that I should follow? Everytime I slot into neutral, it goes to first or to second.
5. The ground clearance isn't enough to scale the Himalayan speed breakers near my house and regardless of how slow I go, I just can't avoid scraping them. Three scrapes already and I wanted to cry every time I see them
Cleaning - Not really a hard job. The build quality is good. Look at the lady on her 6th year (including 1 year in Bangalore).

Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-img_0840a.jpg

Yes it requires some attention (an hour a week). Yes a Centre Stand will help - both for cleaning and chain lubing.

Neutral - you will get it easily once you are little used to it. Try tapping the lever specially downshifting. I had this problem long ago when I changed from my Yezdi Road King to RD350 - Bonnies gears are more like RD 350, which requires a light tap only.

Bumps - now that you have found out gowing slow over is not an option, why not try going over it quickly - specially when riding solo. Aproach it slowly buc accelerate over. It would also help if you can lift off the seat a bit when going over the bump.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 12:11   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Cleaning - Not really a hard job. The build quality is good. Look at the lady on her 6th year (including 1 year in Bangalore).
Ram, your bike in its 6th year looks fantastic and reassures everyone here of the awesome quality of the bike

Quote:
Yes it requires some attention (an hour a week). Yes a Centre Stand will help - both for cleaning and chain lubing.
Build quality being so impeccable. It hardly requires any cleaning. But, Iam by nature fickle about keeping all my rides impeccable so it shouldn't be a problem to keep it too clean

Besides, I have a person who keeps all my rides clean including my Bonnie on a daily basis

Quote:
Neutral - you will get it easily once you are little used to it. Try tapping the lever specially downshifting.
Agree with Sid on the neutral thing. Sometimes even now after completing 6000kms, I miss the neutral. But, this happens like 2 out of 10 times and not even in my basic concern list

Quote:
Bumps - now that you have found out gowing slow over is not an option, why not try going over it quickly - specially when riding solo. Aproach it slowly buc accelerate over. It would also help if you can lift off the seat a bit when going over the bump.
Agree with you on this suggestion. I take most speedbreakers exactly how you recommended. But, there are some of those rare gigantic speedbreakers where I come to almost a standstill and cross over gingerly as I wouldnt want to risk scraping the bottom
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 12:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:

Neutral - you will get it easily once you are little used to it. Try tapping the lever specially downshifting. I had this problem long ago when I changed from my Yezdi Road King to RD350 - Bonnies gears are more like RD 350, which requires a light tap only.

Ram Sir: you were the inspiration for the Bonneville, way before Triumph said they were coming to India. I followed your thread religiously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Agree with Sid on the neutral thing. Sometimes even now after completing 6000kms, I miss the neutral. But, this happens like 2 out of 10 times and not even in my basic concern list
The neutral isn't notchy enough, and coming from my Yezdi where neutral was basically anywhere not in gear, having a dedicated neutral is definitely a new experience. I guess it will take time. I've found that clutchless shift ups from 1st move it into neutral but not sure if that will damage the gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
Congrats Dipesh. An excellent choice of bike. Do ensure you follow the running in instructions till the 800km mark to make sure the bike gives optimum performance in the long run.
Yes. Following the run-in advice on the manual religiously although not having a tacho isn't ideal. For now, I don't let the engine stay at one speed and vary the speed although riding in traffic is very unpleasant, especially geared up.

Haven't ridden her in 4 days. Traveling again this week so no riding again. BUMMER!
Old 19th August 2014, 12:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ram Sir: you were the inspiration for the Bonneville, way before Triumph said they were coming to India. I followed your thread religiously.

I've found that clutchless shift ups from 1st move it into neutral but not sure if that will damage the gearbox.
Thanks for your kind words.

Don't this this should be an issue. I have been doing this for sometime as well.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 17:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your bike bro. Loved your writeup! Use her well.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 15:28   #21
BHPian

Nice upkeep of the Bonnie, Ram.

Congrats on your black Bonnie, djpeesh.

My wait for the T100 is agonizing enough.
live&ride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 17:53   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live&ride View Post
My wait for the T100 is agonizing enough.
Congratulations !!!

Why waiting period? Dont they have bikes ready for delivery? Btw, which color have you chosen?
Old 27th August 2014, 09:57   #23
BHPian

I am waiting for the loan approval. I had booked a Red and Black, but fell for a Blue and Black T100. Looked awesome in that colour.
Old 27th August 2014, 16:55   #24
BHPian

In case anyone's been wondering, I haven't abandoned this thread. I've been traveling like a maniac (for 4 months, I hadn't traveled much and then boom, 8 flights in 12 days). The odo at 195 km is depressing but what can I do.

Hope to ride this weekend, especially since its a long one. Anyone up for a chakkar this weekend in Mumbai?
Old 27th August 2014, 17:42   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live&ride View Post
but fell for a Blue and Black T100. Looked awesome in that colour.
Wow...Never heard/seen a blue/black T100 is on offer. Could you please share a picture?

Quote:
Hope to ride this weekend, especially since its a long one. Anyone up for a chakkar this weekend in Mumbai?
Not a good excuse Sid. You need to clock in some miles. Just think of it this way.

Your cash-pile is sitting in the garage, you need to go out on road and burn some of it
Old 29th August 2014, 20:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Wow...Never heard/seen a blue/black T100 is on offer. Could you please share a picture?
The black blue T100 is indeed a looker and my favorite among the 100s.

Not a good excuse Sid. You need to clock in some miles. Just think of it this way.

Your cash-pile is sitting in the garage, you need to go out on road and burn some of it[/quote]

Decided to follow your suggestions and rode about 100 km between last night and this afternoon. Had a nice run on the Western Express Highway (which is, in my opinion, Mumbai's best road for motorcycles) last night with my lady, followed by a run to South Mumbai on my own this afternoon.

Gotten used the gearbox, and once you get that right, she just takes off. In 5th,i kept searching for a higher gear. Triumph should have given her an extra cog.

My observations on owning her so far

1. Getting a fuel efficiency of about 25 in the city including stop start traffic.
2. The Bonne (and I) hate traffic and it gets her hot and bothered.
3. The gearbox shifts up beautifully but shifting down is sometimes not so great, especially when rapidly shifting down from 5th to 1st,when approaching a traffic light.
4. Figured out how to find neutral. Pretty straightforward
5. I out accelerated a Porsche 911,until the traffic light showed up about two kilometers away.
6. Thanks to a spill on the Yezdi a couple of months ago, when I fell after leaning into a turn, I've got a mental block for lean ins. Need to sort out my head and lean in.
7. The potholes in Mumbai, which are a complete nightmare, as well as the various perforations in the road, make her skittish.

Here's the odo after last night

Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1409322817732.jpg

Forgot to click her after this evenings ride but she's at 260

Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1409328695922.jpgTriumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1409328706759.jpgTriumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1409328727909.jpgTriumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1409328750679.jpg

My two grand ladies. Although one of them hasn't been ridden in a while.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th June 2015 at 21:58. Reason: Posts merged on request.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 09:31   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Getting a fuel efficiency of about 25 in the city including stop start traffic.
That's a wonderful mileage. I never got more than 19kmph in city and about 23kmpl in highway conditions. Are you riding it like your Yezdi?

Quote:
2. The Bonne (and I) hate traffic and it gets her hot and bothered.
Bonnie will feel hot until the 1st service. This heat will disappear after 1st service is done. Now i dont feel the bike getting HOT at all even in peak traffic conditions

Quote:
5. I out accelerated a Porsche 911,until the traffic light showed up about two kilometers away.
.....Did it make the bike feel value for money?

Quote:
6. Thanks to a spill on the Yezdi a couple of months ago, when I fell after leaning into a turn, I've got a mental block for lean ins. Need to sort out my head and lean in.
Take it slow. But, trust me you can lean as much as you want, it's planted for sure

Quote:
7. The potholes in Mumbai, which are a complete nightmare, as well as the various perforations in the road, make her skittish.
Potholes shouldnt be a problem at all. Just ride over them like they dont exist. However, be careful on gravel as that is where there is a faint hint of Bonnie being skittish
Old 30th August 2014, 15:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My observations on owning her so far

6. Thanks to a spill on the Yezdi a couple of months ago, when I fell after leaning into a turn, I've got a mental block for lean ins.
Good you got started. Congratulations on your KPL figure - actually unheard of, at least to me.

Your Roadking looks great too in one of the pics. But I think you have changed the fork set up. May be that explains your spill as well, Yezdi Roadking was one of the best planted vehicles from yester years. It was our primary rally machine and I had a great time with her.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 31st August 2014, 13:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Good you got started. Congratulations on your KPL figure - actually unheard of, at least to me.

Your Roadking looks great too in one of the pics. But I think you have changed the fork set up. May be that explains your spill as well, Yezdi Roadking was one of the best planted vehicles from yester years. It was our primary rally machine and I had a great time with her.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
So my KPL figure was completely off. My brother (while I was out of town) filled up fuel in the bike. He doesn't remember how much so the 25 kmpl number is completely wrong. I was wondering how she was giving a better average than the Yezdi :-P

I had a plan to ride to Pune this morning and back, thereby finishing up my run in and giving her for the first service next week (as I'm traveling the week after again).

Unfortunately, despite the effort it took to wake up at 6 am on a Sunday, the weather gods didn't think it good enough. Obviously, the home cabinet decided that there was no riding in the rain. I thought the weather would clear up later in the day but it's still pouring.

So no sleep in on a Sunday, no riding on a Sunday and no TV (obviously since I gave Tata Sky, and all the shows I follow online are on break till January). Bummer of a Sunday!

Oh the joys of getting a new bike in the monsoon, especially one as awesome as the Bonneville!
Old 1st September 2014, 16:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Check out the website. Lots of pic of the blue black T100. Sorry for the late response. I was on a 1000km long weekend round trip with family on my four wheeler.

I guess a lot of unfamiliar faces might be looking in the direction of your Arrow silencers, so enjoy the glances.
live&ride is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks