Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2014, 18:49   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bullet? Ninja 650? Finally, Harley Davidson Street Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
I had been following your thread earlier this year regularly when contemplating between a Harley and Triumph. Triumphs are great bikes (including the triple), however i hope you are aware of the fact that Triumph failed to disclose that street triples sold in India are the 79PS underpowered versions and not the british spec 106PS. Infact all bikes (except TB storm, tiger and Rocket) sold in India are detuned to meet ARAI requirements.
Bet HD too would be detuned a bit but not like Stripple . Let the thread about it be used to discuss more about this.

Sadly this is the issue with HD, it might squeak; you might find lose bolts. I am ok with the bolt part but squeak!

Tiger/Striple/Ninja~ thats a wide range you are looking at .
Do keep us posted.
Old 28th December 2014, 20:49   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Bet HD too would be detuned a bit but not like Stripple . Let the thread about it be used to discuss more about this.

Sadly this is the issue with HD, it might squeak; you might find lose bolts. I am ok with the bolt part but squeak!

Do keep us posted.
The HD bikes in India in Dyna family get only 96 CI engines but elsewhere these bikes have 103 CI engines.
Old 30th December 2014, 00:02   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
however i hope you are aware of the fact that Triumph failed to disclose that street triples sold in India are the 79PS underpowered versions and not the british spec 106PS. Infact all bikes (except TB storm, tiger and Rocket) sold in India are detuned to meet ARAI requirements.
Yes, am aware of Triumph's detuning issue and feel it is more of a misrepresentation (closer to cheating, if I may use harsh words) on Triumph India's part as I doubt it could be a mistake! All manufactures, do detune their bikes to meet ARAI requirements but are upfront about it in disclosing the specifications, unlike what Triumph did! But as jkdas mentioned, the other thread is better for such discussions. The ST even at 79PS is one hell of a bike but with the price tag that it commands, a bit pricey given it competes with the Z800.

Quote:
Do keep us posted.
A close friend has a Tiger 800 and I rode one over the weekend extensively and realized the difference. I struggle with modest triple digit speeds on the Street Bob on open stretches given the open chest stance and lack of a wind shield but the same stretch, doing insane triple digit speeds on the Tiger was a breeze. Even manoeuvring the Tiger in the city or cornering the bike is much easier on the Tiger when compared to the Street Bob.

Although the Street Bob ain't meant for crazy speeds and is meant relaxed cruising but the more I ride, and especially after my experience on the Tiger and a very very short ride on the Z800, I feel the need to experience a different form of riding and hence the wide choice of bikes that I am considering.

What I'm confused about is whether I'd be able to handle an aggressive riding stance of the Z800/ ST given I'm not really used to it? I feel, the N1000 and Tiger would be far more comfortable, given their more straight up riding posture but both of these are above my budget.

I use my bike in the city to ride to work pretty regularly and also on the weekend to do breakfast rides of about 150-200kms with occasional ride up the hills.

Having ridden Bullets earlier, Harley was a natural progression and a bucket list item that has been now been checked, so in a sense, I wouldn't mind trading it for something else
Old 17th October 2015, 16:00   #94
BHPian

Hi all,

I have a 2012 street bob. I havent had the issue of puncture yet on my bike. Milage is around 21000 kms.

Its fitted with cobra 3 inch slip ons, Screaming eagle heavy breather and cobra fi2000 powrpro auto tuner. The exhaust sound is amazing and many a times a head turner for other super bikes also.

I am getting a lot of decel popping in the recent past. Any ideas on reducing it. I have read in some post about checking the gaskets in the air filter and headers or check the air gaps for the silencer fittings. I have checked for them and no leakages anywhere. Fi2000 PowrPro is auto tuner and it gets adjusted to all levels of acceleration and pumps in right amount of fuel..

let me know of any thoughts.
Old 4th July 2016, 12:55   #95
BHPian

Haven't seen any activity on this thread in a long time.
Is the bike still there? Any updates in the last couple of years?
Old 5th July 2016, 01:15   #96
BHPian

Hi Oreen,

Been pretty lazy all this while so haven't updated the thread. Yes the bike is still very much there and I've been riding it quite a bit, have clocked 30k on the ODO so far.

Major changes that the bike has undergone in the last one year have been upgraded suspension system (both front & rear), exhaust (cobra) slip-ons handlebar, and LED lights. The bike's character and the way she handles now is completely different. Way more fun than the stock set up.

With these mods, I had been able to control my urge to move to another bike but the sports bike bug seems to have caught me right back!

Cheers,
Ankit
ankitwanchoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 13:07   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitwanchoo View Post
Hi Oreen,

Major changes that the bike has undergone in the last one year have been upgraded suspension system (both front & rear), exhaust (cobra) slip-ons handlebar, and LED lights. The bike's character and the way she handles now is completely different. Way more fun than the stock set up.

Cheers,
Ankit
So, does a new one come with the upgraded suspension? 30 K on the ODO is pretty good. Am enjoying my Kawasaki ER6n, but my wife is really pushing me to buy a lower bike so that she can enjoy riding pillion. People generally are of the opinion that Harleys should be avoided, but I've always been pretty drawn to them. Let's see. Wanted feedback from people who've clocked a lot of miles. There's this person who rides a superglide in the US and recently did some 6750 miles alone...he swears by the Harley.
Old 16th July 2016, 13:30   #98
BHPian

The new one does not come with the upgraded suspension that I have. One would still have to get the separately. Harley doesn't believe in giving good stuff as stock!

If you are drawn to the Harley, I'd suggest you take the plunge and get one for your self and better to go in for a pre-owned one as the chance for you getting a fairly customised with low mileage is quite high. If you were to buy a brand new bike, you would still spend at least a lac or two for the upgrades.

You are right that a lot of people might advise you against going in for them but be rest assured that there is absolutely no problem with the bikes.
Old 6th August 2016, 19:24   #99
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Finally took the plunge and have picked up the Triumph Tiger XCx earlier in the week! Of course, had to part with the Street Bob to get the Tiger...
ankitwanchoo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 19:33   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally took the plunge and have picked up the Triumph Tiger XCx earlier in the week! Of course, had to part with the Street Bob to get the Tiger...
Congratulations. One of my mates also disposed off his Iron and picked up the Xcx recently. He also has a Himalayan on which he is already Leh'd. Great bikes. I went with 'keep the Harley and also get a ADV route' and bought myself a Himalayan...lolz. Extremely happy with it's capabilities. Also leaving for Leh on 27th. Wishing you many happy adventures on the Tiger.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 19:07   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Congratulations brother! Miles of riding and fun on the new machine
Old 26th December 2016, 12:21   #102
Senior - BHPian

I am contemplating the idea of owning a super bike. I currently own a Classic Desert storm which I ride very rarely and thought of buying a special one. I paid a visit to United Harley and the adviser suggested me to look one from Dyna family for my tall stature. They have street bob which looked good, another option is to look for fatbob. Please suggest which one is better. Another option is to look for Triumph thunderbird but that will fall near the fat boy pricing and since I will use this vehicle occasionally, investing more than 10-12 lacs seems odd to me.
Old 26th December 2016, 15:29   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Awesome! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
I am contemplating the idea of owning a super bike. I currently own a Classic Desert storm which I ride very rarely and thought of buying a special one. I paid a visit to United Harley and the adviser suggested me to look one from Dyna family for my tall stature. They have street bob which looked good, another option is to look for fatbob. Please suggest which one is better. Another option is to look for Triumph thunderbird but that will fall near the fat boy pricing and since I will use this vehicle occasionally, investing more than 10-12 lacs seems odd to me.
Fat Bob will be a better choice then Streetbob. I would suggest that you TD the 3. HD and Triumph are very different and hence depends from person to person. Also, look out for preowed once since it can save you a lot!

Last edited by jkdas : 26th December 2016 at 15:31.
Old 27th December 2016, 19:01   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, look out for preowed once since it can save you a lot!
One of the harley dealer is offering a demo fatboy 2015 model with odo reading 14k. the discount is about 3 lacs. please suggest between a new street bob vs demo fatboy and is it a real worth
Old 15th August 2017, 23:40   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Buddy. I could so relate to your thread. VWs in garage and an RE TB 500 too. A GT TSI in 2016 quenched the thirst for upgrade then, but back with satisfactory upgrade being an Octavia which feels an year too soon. The itch to upgrade the bike exists, having tested the Scrambler which was scary for me, the Monster I liked, the Triumph Bobber I loved, but do need a pillion seat too for the occasional coffee ride with wife or kid. Brings me back to HDs, dont want anything less than a 48 with eyes set on 48 or a Street Bob. Had a short TD of Street Bob today and liked it. It didnt heat as much, the controls and overall bike also didnt feel very heavy too. Came back pleased. Did some online research and came across your thread. Could so so relate to it, like the low odo on the RE, almost booking of a 25lac car and then realising its soon, etc, etc. Your thread gave me a boost except the climax was maybe an anti climax. Now am wondering, because at 13.5lacs OTR, this could very well be the only bike I'll have from now on. My reasons for upgrade, RE has lost the novelty, I can get back to riding to work on an upgraded machine, weekend rides and who other than HD does it best with HOG. So pls help me out of this situation. Should I continue with my RE and upgrade my four wheeler or look at a two wheeler in which case which model and brand could fit my requirement best. You having experienced both HD and Triumph can probably make a good recommendation.

Most Viewed