Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2014, 15:01   #676
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Documented evidence ? they are my thighs and calf working as a temp gauge and knowing whats normal and what's not.
Hey Arun, you make it sound as if its unbearable? I agree it was unbearable when it was brand new but, now the heat emission from the engine is not as you make it sound (thigh and calves burning)

I think the heat that comes out of the engine is negligible and never felt uncomfortable in city conditions (Recent feedback of riding yesterday for about 40kms in peak traffic conditions in middle of afternoon)

However, when I reach home and lean forward to lock the bike. This is when I can actually feel the blast of heat from engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
The experts view on this (I am a user not an expert) is that inclusion of the o2 sensor and air injuction will not and should not affect the longivity of the block.
So your saying that short rides will not effect the longetivity of Bonnie's engine?

Quote:
As per them at a given Throttle position the geat generated in the engine is same and the design elements in the engine (the oil pump & cooler the engine fins etc are more than capable of taking away the heat). However, at lower speeds, we feel our thighs being cooked as one of the elements needed to take away the haet on aircooled machine - air is missing or available in low volumes. At the same Throttle Possition and on a higher gear (as in 5th opposed to 3rd) the bike is essentially at a higher speed and more air being availble you thighs are now comfortable.
What you outlined here is pretty much common logic and iam sure incorporated by all bike manafacturers

Quote:
The o2 & Air Injustor has been provided as rightly pointed out by Absynth for the emission issues only. You can blank them out and run your Bonney happily as some of my friends here do - to keep things simple
I didnt understand what you mean by blanking them? And, how do you do that does it mean the O2 and Air Injection are just dummies like the fake carbs?

Quote:
Hope you are more confused now
No Sir, Iam not. I never think so deep and just enjoy my bike and take care of issues as and when it comes
Old 5th September 2014, 17:29   #677
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

So your saying that short rides will not effect the longetivity of Bonnie's engine?

I didnt understand what you mean by blanking them? And, how do you do that does it mean the O2 and Air Injection are just dummies like the fake carbs?

I never think so deep and just enjoy my bike and take care of issues as and when it comes
Yes, that is what I have been told by "experts" and people who have logged in thousands of miles even on new Bonneville.

If you look at the link I had mentioned about power tunes, you can see all of them requires that you disconnect the o2 sensor and blank the air injectors. They supply a kit to do it. The breather tube next to the plugs is removed and the blanking nut they supply is put there. This process can be done on a Bonney with normal ECU tune as well ( don't ask me why and what are the benefits - I don't know). The ECU adapts to this to some extend I am told.

As you said just enjoy your bike in the state it is and that is the way to do it

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 6th September 2014, 18:51   #678
BHPian

Installed RE Continental GT suspension on my Bonnie, and now it glides on potholes, no more jerk. The best part is, now handle feels super light, don't know how. After installation I was confused, whether its in my mind, so I test rode showroom bike back to back, and that super light handle is very good improvement. Increase in ground clearance too, worth upgrade. I am very much satisfied now.

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-triumph-bonneville-2.jpg
pawan_pullarwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 21:33   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Installed RE Continental GT suspension on my Bonnie, and now it glides on potholes, no more jerk. The best part is, now handle feels super light, don't know how. After installation I was confused, whether its in my mind, so I test rode showroom bike back to back, and that super light handle is very good improvement. Increase in ground clearance too, worth upgrade. I am very much satisfied now.
How much did it cost? Are they available on shelf? or need to order these?
Old 7th September 2014, 02:55   #680
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1283729
superb choice and idea !
Old 7th September 2014, 06:30   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
How much did it cost? Are they available on shelf? or need to order these?
Yes they were readily available at dealer. Costed me 11500 inr. And best part is no modification required. Just remove that metal part from Suspension where it fixes.

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 7th September 2014 at 06:38.
Old 7th September 2014, 10:25   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Yes they were readily available at dealer. Costed me 11500 inr. And best part is no modification required. Just remove that metal part from Suspension where it fixes.
Pawan, congrats on the new rear shocks installation. I have a few questions. Sorry if a few seems a lot

1. What's the difference between stock rear shocks and Conti shocks? Please share a bit more elaborate feedback. Visually they look like Ohlins

2. You mentioned the handle now feels super light? Lightness needn't be a good feeling always for handlebar. Is it really a better feeling than stock handlebar? A fellow BHPian who rides a Ninja 250 when rode the Bonnie was super impressed with handlebar of Bonnie and mentioned it's so stable feels like a superbike feeling (not sure what he meant by that)

3. Did you fix it yourself or dealer helped you out?

4. What happens to the IKONS that you ordered? Or were they for the front shocks?

5. Finally, who gave you the idea of going for the Conti GT shocks? I mean was it just an experiment or has someone done it before?
Old 7th September 2014, 18:07   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Pawan, congrats on the new rear shocks installation. I have a few questions. Sorry if a few seems a lot

1. What's the difference between stock rear shocks and Conti shocks? Please share a bit more elaborate feedback. Visually they look like Ohlins

2. You mentioned the handle now feels super light? Lightness needn't be a good feeling always for handlebar. Is it really a better feeling than stock handlebar? A fellow BHPian who rides a Ninja 250 when rode the Bonnie was super impressed with handlebar of Bonnie and mentioned it's so stable feels like a superbike feeling (not sure what he meant by that)

3. Did you fix it yourself or dealer helped you out?

4. What happens to the IKONS that you ordered? Or were they for the front shocks?

5. Finally, who gave you the idea of going for the Conti GT shocks? I mean was it just an experiment or has someone done it before?
1. Conti shocks are gas shocks, though I don't know what is the advantage. but it also has infinite preload adjustment, that means for preload adjustment, they have given screw type of settings instead those gaps.

2. Today I have done 150 KM round trip ride, where 40 KM was ghat section, and I was able to scrap foot rest twice that too with increased ground clearance, I can say this setup gives me 20% more confidence on corners than the stock suspension, just think how much it is improvement in handling. Also that light handle gives very good maneuverability in city traffic.

3. Did it at showroom.

4. IKON order is cancelled, my friend is coming from USA, he already received windshield and SENA SMH5D-01 pair for me. He was in a discussion with IKON guys for my custom order and was supposed to place the order by today.

5. My friend is the manager at triumph showroom, it was his idea to try Conti GT shock first instead of investing 30,000 on IKON.
He too was agree that now my Bonnie handles better.

Another advantage, there was a breaker which used to scrap my bonnie with pillion, but today it didn't scrapped.

I would say it's a full package and paisa wasool.

Tomorrow my boss, who also own bonnie and weighing 100 KG, gonna try my bike, will update you his review as well.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 19:52   #684
BHPian

All excited to receive my Bonnie T100 this week mid. The price hike seems to be happening soon.
live&ride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 22:06   #685
BHPian

Test rode the Bonneville yesterday and was grinning like a fool post completion of the ride. Infact, the effect didn't wear off even after an hour. This experience reminded me of my first test drive of a friend's Octavia vRS few years back.

The actual buy might take time as my parents are not keen on me buying any bike. Leave alone an 865 cc super bike.
jvm_1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 22:26   #686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. Today I have done 150 KM round trip ride, where 40 KM was ghat section, and I was able to scrap foot rest twice that too with increased ground clearance, I can say this setup gives me 20% more confidence on corners than the stock suspension, just think how much it is improvement in handling. Also that light handle gives very good maneuverability in city traffic.
This is a really nice feedback. If RE Shocks provide 20% more confidence than stock set-up then they really need to be given a serious thought ( though honestly I never felt stock suspension to be inferior in any way)

How many kms have you clocked till now?

Quote:
Tomorrow my boss, who also own bonnie and weighing 100 KG, gonna try my bike, will update you his review as well.
Please do share this feedback in detail verbatim as quoted by your boss. It should be interesting since he weighs same as me

Quote:
Originally Posted by live&ride View Post
All excited to receive my Bonnie T100 this week mid. The price hike seems to be happening soon.
Congrats, it's raining Triumphs on the forum. Which color have you finally honed down too? Also, look forward to the 2nd T100 ownership report on the forum with some nice pics

Goodluck and iam sure you will enjoy every moment with your Bonnie

Yesterday, finally after installing the Arrows I went for my very first long ride which was about 190kms in total to Anantagiri Hills in Vikarabad.

Initially it was a big headcount but, as usual many folks drop out at last minute due to various reasons so we were just 5 of us and weather was top-notch ( it was cloudy, drizzling lightly and chilly too) and wrong choice of me wearing the blue visor as visibility decreases a lot in cloudy/evening conditions with that visor

Arrow performed flawlessly on its first soujourn on the highway and within the first few kms I got used to the hand modulation that is important when your riding with Arrows as uncessary revving makes audio note really loud and now with increment in power its even more important to ensure that throttle is used judiciously even if the wish is to reach higher speeds

I was sure that I wasn't going to enjoy the loud decibels emanating from Arrow's during the ride but, what I found was a pleasant surprise

Inside the helmet, I was in a blissful state listening to my favorite rock numbers from Pink Floyd, Metallica & G n R but, nasal growl from the Arrows were still seeping in and there was a pleasant drone that went on in the background and actually didnt bother me much and this is the unbaffled version. Arrows beat the hard rock folks hands down

Entire stretch being narrow, pot-holed to some extent with complete greenry surrounding our entire ride that weaved through small villages, there was no opportunity to hit the speed that I normally would but, still managed to go upto its 70% potential and iam quite pleased with Arrows installation

P.S: I forgot to mention that I had visited the showroom to get a different Arrow tune downloaded as the first tune that they installed there was something missing and didnt have the punch that I experienced on the showroom test ride bike.

Just for information for folks contemplating Arrow Pipes, there are 10 different ECU tunes that can be installed on the bike

5 tunes for analogue odometer'ed Bonneville

5 tunes for digital odometer'ed Bonneville

They had installed the stock tune which I didnt like much and they installed a different tune ( 3 more to explore) and this one is lot better. Bike accelaration is a lot quicker and engine note is more growlier. But, I still feel there is a slight hesitation in the 3rd gear before it takes off...Hmmm..Perhaps, another visit to tune it further is due !!!

Overall, Iam pleased with my decision of Arrows !!!
Attached Thumbnails
My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140906_102013.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140906_102026.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140906_102036.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140906_102106001.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140906wa006.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th September 2014 at 22:30.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 22:47   #687
BHPian

Quote:
1. I can say this setup gives me 20% more confidence on corners than the stock suspension, just think how much it is improvement in handling. Also that light handle gives very good maneuverability in city traffic.
Quote:
This is a really nice feedback. If RE Shocks provide 20% more confidence than stock set-up then they really need to be given a serious thought ( though honestly I never felt stock suspension to be inferior in any way)
Add the steering stabilizer to the lighter handling setup and be assured of even better feedback at high speeds.

This is a very good upgrade indeed. The slight forward stance will aid a more sporty feel to the ride too i guess. One suggestion is to also plastidip the reservoir and spring rods to go with the black bike frame . B'lore market has these cans available if i recall.

Quote:
Hey Arun, you make it sound as if its unbearable? I agree it was unbearable when it was brand new but, now the heat emission from the engine is not as you make it sound (thigh and calves burning)

I think the heat that comes out of the engine is negligible and never felt uncomfortable in city conditions (Recent feedback of riding yesterday for about 40kms in peak traffic conditions in middle of afternoon)
Avi ,

Imagine the route from Tarnaka to Jubilee hills . The bottle necks are
Mettuguda underbridge
Iskon turning
Patny plaza
Entrance to begumpet flyover
shoppers-stop
TDP office
jubilee checkpost

Added to the above standard jams, the mtero works have made most of these junctions as less that 10kmph for more than 10 mins each section.

What you're considering as short rides is 60 kms and the usual 2 kms dash done without a jam .

Apologies if i confused you. I meant the air flow when one goes through a fairly moderate distance such as mine without being able to go above 40kmph.

Alternatively, try doing a long ride ( 10km or so) without going over 40kmph and you'll notice the heat build up being as severe as what im talking.

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th September 2014 at 23:41. Reason: Merging back to back posts. You can edit posts until 20 mins of time you create & submit one. Cheers
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 23:22   #688
BHPian

Quote:

Alternatively, try doing a long ride ( 10km or so) without going over 40kmph and you'll notice the heat build up being as severe as what im talking.
I second you in that. In traffic, the heat is unbelievable. I took my Bonne for a quick 60 km ride today, since it's the first day it hasn't been raining. Of the ride, 20 km was in bad, bad bad traffic and the heat was unbearable.

In stop start traffic, I even stalled in first once (despite pulling in the clutch), which as per Triumphrat happens when the engine is too hot. After I got some open road, she flew and the heat buildup disappeared until the next jam.

Also, I've noticed that with the deeper ruts and potholes on Bombay's roads, she doesn't feel as sure-footed anymore and I had to do a sudden brake manoeuvre from about 80 km - for a moron going the wrong way in the middle lane - and the braking wasn't as responsive and my back end swung out (didn't spill thankfully) but noticed there was gravel on the road so it wouldn't have been fun.

OT:
Bombay riders, apart from the Western Express Highway at night, where do you guys ride? I took her to Palm Beach Road but getting there and back was a nightmare.

No riding again this week as I'm out of town again but hope to make up for it next weekend with a pune ride.
Old 7th September 2014, 23:59   #689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvm_1986 View Post
Test rode the Bonneville yesterday and was grinning like a fool post completion of the ride. Infact, the effect didn't wear off even after an hour. This experience reminded me of my first test drive of a friend's Octavia vRS few years back
Not sure if you have read my comparison report of the Bonnieville vs Iron 883 and I too have posted a picture of myself with that stupid grin on my face after my first test ride of the bike

Yes, such feelings are rare and become the decision making factors (atleast for me).

Iam very picky of which car or bike I like and I had a similar stupid grin on my face when I drove the Skoda vRS, Skoda TSI, Polo GT TSI & Cruze ( this adorns my garage)

So what is it that you liked about the test ride? More details please.....

Quote:
Add the steering stabilizer to the lighter handling setup and be assured of even better feedback at high speeds.

This is a very good upgrade indeed. The slight forward stance will aid a more sporty feel to the ride too i guess. One suggestion is to also plastidip the reservoir and spring rods to go with the black bike frame . B'lore market has these cans available if i recall.
Arun, How about the whole lot of us getting these RE shocks with steering dampner kit installed? We have plenty of Bonnies in our group and makes economic sense too

Quote:
Imagine the route from Tarnaka to Jubilee hills . Alternatively, try doing a long ride ( 10km or so) without going over 40kmph and you'll notice the heat build up being as severe as what im talking.
Yeah, your home to your J.Hills office or Prabhu's garage is a nightmarish stretch for sure. I have never rode the bike < 40kmph in traffice continuously for 10kms. I would rather park it on side and sip on a sugarcane juice and wait for traffic to clear up

Jokes aside, 865cc engines are not meant to be run in that manner. Below < 40kmph and in start-stop situations. Hope you agree with me? Argchoff has hit 80kmph in 1st gear so you should be in some minus gears if running <40kmph for such a long time...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I second you in that. In traffic, the heat is unbelievable. I took my Bonne for a quick 60 km ride today, since it's the first day it hasn't been raining. Of the ride, 20 km was in bad, bad bad traffic and the heat was unbearable.

Also, I've noticed that with the deeper ruts and potholes on Bombay's roads, she doesn't feel as sure-footed anymore and I had to do a sudden brake manoeuvre from about 80 km - for a moron going the wrong way in the middle lane -
Sid, are you done with your 1st service? If no, please expect the heat to reduce considerably after this service. Even i experienced lot of heat prior to 1st service but, now it doesnt seem as much as you guys describe. Maybe because I hardly use it in bumper to bumper traffic ( for that I have my trusted bull)

With regards to Bonnie giving away in gravel situations. I agree and you need to be careful especially in corners and cut down on the heroic VR moves when you see road has gravel. I dont slow down when in straights but, corners i dont take chances

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th September 2014 at 00:01.
Old 8th September 2014, 10:06   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a short video taken by a mobile phone of Triumph Boneville Arrow Exhaust 2:2 :-

mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks