Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2014, 10:24   #586
BHPian

re: Triumph Bonneville: My "Black Bruiser" gets ARROW'ed !!!

Hi Ram,
Currently I ride a TB350 and the T100 will be next ride. So what is present with TB350 is not available with T100 and vice versa.
Cheers,
live&ride
Old 14th August 2014, 10:42   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live&ride View Post
I was informed that the Triumph bikes do not come with a standard toolkit as part of the bike purchase. All that one gets is an Allen key.

Fellow Riders: Do you recommend any after market toolkit purchase? I dread the thought of having a stranded bike with an Allen key at hand.

Mobike008: Any feedback that you had on this with your rides?
My two pennies on the provided 'toolkit' - Most of what you could attend to (on the mag-wheeled Bonnie at least) can be achieved with the allen key provided. In theory at least. Punctures in the tubeless tyres do not require dislodging the wheel/s. And the rest of the bike is pretty bullet-proof (no puns intended) or would require professional look-in if something does crop up. Having said that however, there are amongst us, folks who would love to tinker with their rides on weekends and I believe the Bonnie lends itself graciously to such attention, being the uncomplicated design it is. For that lot, no amount of tools you can stash in the bike would be enough, so an aftermarket investment wouldn't go amiss.
About the single allen key provided though - its a sham. A simple job like unbolting the seat would have you revising cusswords you long forgot. There simply isn't enough leverage. I love my Bonnie, but it is not free of idiosyncratic flaws that are hard to understand from this pedigree of machinery. What's with the two separate keys for the ignition and the steering lock? Why indeed no lockable covers and seats instead of silly screws? Even the RE Bullet is user-friendlier in this dept.
SUVolens is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 11:04   #588
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hi Ram,
Currently I ride a TB350 and the T100 will be next ride. So what is present with TB350 is not available with T100 and vice versa.
Cheers,
live&ride
The answer is short - Typical "Enfield quircks" of the TB350 and infact the niggles of the British Bikes from the 1940-50s (which essentially the Enfield was/is) are not present wit T100 and the Reliability and trouble free performace of T100/Bonnie is not there with TB350

(I am basing my comments on TB350 from the feed back I have seen in the foru, as I have no owned it, and my apologies to the thousands of TB 350 owners if I sound really unfair in my comment)

26,000 KM with out any need to visit a dealer other than for periodic service, I think validates my belief of the reliability of Bonnie/T100.

Even if you have a full fledged tool kit for it, one wonders what an untarined owner can do on it, without the diagnostics required as well.

I don't think Triumph is alone on this either.

You will agree that the Machines have evolved over the years. A case point - have a look at the "tool kit" that used to come with a Mercedes till late 1970s and what comes with it these days.

For that matter look at the tool kit, that used to come with an Amby and a Maruti 800 in the mid 1980s. The difference in generation of the cars showed then and there. The manufacturers don't expect the owners to dirty their hands on servicing (I don't belong to that category of owners please).

Even cars on 1 C plus price tags come with any tools hardly.

Yes if you are on a long trip in India, you might wish to carry the spanners required to remove the wheels in case of a punctures (as T 100 is on Tubed Tire). Couple of rigt sized spanners from the markt will do the job for you.

If you really want a kit then you will have get it from one of Triumph Parts sources such as below:

http://www.british-customs.com/cruz-...-tool-kit.html

http://www.british-customs.com/cruz-...-standard.html

Get a Bonnie/T100 and enjoy the ride, that is what I have say to you

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 11:10   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanketdesai82 View Post
Hi SUVolens, could you let me know what are your FE figures now that you have fixed the earlier issues of tuning?
I've been travelling intermittently since the map-correction on the Arrows, so its been difficult to gauge the full effect till now. But I did some tinkering on Clyde in the morning today and thought I should update all Arrow-aspirants as accurately as possible.

I replaced the baffles into their rightful places. The only time I heard them was for 15 seconds in the accessory shop while the pipes were being swapped. Fresh off the audio experience of the de-baffled Arrows on a demo bike, mine sounded so tame and meek, I simply ordered them off in a snap and brought them back home with the stocks. My experience with the 'decongested' Arrows is now documented, but I've been wondering to myself if I shouldn't really give the baffles a shot again - in real-world riding scenarios. So that's what I did this morning. And there's only good news and better news, I'm happy to report.

The baffles go in like hot knife in butter - they're brilliantly machined that way. No hammering, no coaxing. The preserved circlips (retainer springs) snap on with a slightly greater effort and the right sized tool, but the entire exercise took me less than 2 minutes. Pulling them out could take a minute more at the most. So on effort I'd score it 9/10.
Upon firing up, the baffled Arrows idle at maybe 10% higher db than the stock. But there's clearly a underlying throatiness that hints at power, compared to the almost powder-puff stockers. Small blips bring out a feathered down effect of the circumsised Arrows. The beat is there, but its very very distant and at a whisper almost. At this stage, I was awarding the decision about 5/10.

I rode it out on the open roads next and this is where transformations and revelations dawned. And this is totally contrary to posts I've been reading on various forums, TriumphRAT included. The Arrows sound just beautiful now! Soft as a pussycat on a benign throttle, but pour some more petrol into the cylinders in a hurry and bike now has a delicious growl that (personally) is more pleasurable to the guttural scream that went with the unrestricted pipes earlier. Without a tach, I'd guess this symphony kicks in around 3500 rpm upwards. It doesn't rattle the windows of passed cars anymore, but sounds more like a Japanese superbike than a Ducati on the boil.
And here's the thing - the noisier version sounded like you were going at lightspeed when you really weren't, but this version is evenly matched with impressions and actual readings. I don't know about others, but for me, it just makes the bike seem smoother, faster and more in character. I think I'm going to keep it this way for a few weeks if not longer. And given that it's a cinch to go back to AC-DC from Bryan Adams, I can always bring the party to town on days I'm feeling particularly attention-starved
Hope this helps.

p.s. No idea if the FE has improved drastically after the remap. I'm yet to run out of gas since last refill.
SUVolens is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 11:12   #590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mobike008: Any feedback that you had on this with your rides?
Can you beileve me? This thought never struck me till you mentioned now.

I mean I didnt look at this aspect before buying the Bonnie but, SUVolens has responded nicely with what you can do with the Allen Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
but it is not free of idiosyncratic flaws that are hard to understand from this pedigree of machinery. What's with the two separate keys for the ignition and the steering lock? Why indeed no lockable covers and seats instead of silly screws?
This indeed is the only flaw that even I find in the Bonnie. Separate keys for lock, ignition and petrol tank (if purchased)

Besides above, I was also aghast to know that there is no storage space even to keep small knick knacks like tool kit, RC, License and Insurance documents

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru153 View Post
I didn't know that new color is launched. In blore I have seen a handful of blacks and few blue n white. Let me check n get back to u buddy!!
Here is the picture of the new inverted color of Blue & White. I think this looks even prettier than the previous combination. This pic is from the Triumph Hyderabad Dealership
Attached Images

Old 14th August 2014, 11:56   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
About the single allen key provided though - its a sham. A simple job like unbolting the seat would have you revising cusswords you long forgot. There simply isn't enough leverage. I love my Bonnie, but it is not free of idiosyncratic flaws that are hard to understand from this pedigree of machinery. What's with the two separate keys for the ignition and the steering lock? Why indeed no lockable covers and seats instead of silly screws? Even the RE Bullet is user-friendlier in this dept.

The Arrows sound just beautiful now! Soft as a pussycat on a benign throttle, but pour some more petrol into the cylinders in a hurry and bike now has a delicious growl that (personally) is more pleasurable to the guttural scream that went with the unrestricted pipes earlier.
I fully agree with what you have stated above.

The Perils of someone/getting taking the idea of "retro design" too seriously. Thank god the engine design team had their ideas staright. Otherwise we may all have had to do squats with 100 kgs before being able to kickstart the machine

SUV, you really have a poetic and beautiful way of expressing your feelings. Hats off man.

Best Regards and Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 14th August 2014 at 12:04.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 15:47   #592
Distinguished - BHPian

As I wont be riding for next couple of weeks due to travel, rode with my riding mates this morning ( imagine pulling off a weekday ride..LOL) and it was a short, crisp ride of about 120kms through the tree lined back roads of Shankarpally

Stopped for tea on a roadside stall and enjoyed some chit chat before heading back home

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140814_075459_edit.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140814_075521_edit.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140814_075440_edit.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140814_075530_edit.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140814_075545_edit.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140814wa008.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140814wa010_edit.jpg

Attachment 1274306

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140814wa011_edit.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140814wa012_edit.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140814wa008.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140814wa010_edit.jpg

My new riding avataar

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140814wa006_edit.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140814wa011_edit.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140814wa012_edit.jpg

Isn't this Bonnie looking sweet with that dart screen, silver skid plate and yes, yes the number plate is finally moved to a spot where it belongs

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140814_075430_edit.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 26th August 2014 at 09:46.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 16:24   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Isn't this Bonnie looking sweet with that dart screen, silver skid plate and yes, yes the number plate is finally moved to a spot where it belongs

It looks neat. Move your number plate to that location as well. Do you know if the clamp/bracket is DIY or from Triumph India (aka the Thruxton's clamp). If DIY how is the finish and if good, can more orders be placed ?

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 14th August 2014 at 16:25.
Old 14th August 2014, 16:25   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[B
Isn't this Bonnie looking sweet with that dart screen, silver skid plate and yes, yes the number plate is finally moved to a spot where it belongs[/b]
Avi,

Could you check with the rider of the silver Bonnie with the skid plate, if this accessory effectively lowers the ground clearance drastically? I find the 17" wheels bring the standard Bonnie dangerously close to Sportster levels over particularly nasty bumps. At the accessory shop, I changed my mind about my ordered skid plate because it seemed to lower the GC by at least 5-6 mm optically. Which means, it would protect the chassis at the cost of inviting more scrapes..A user input would be valuable.

Cheers!
Old 14th August 2014, 16:57   #595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
It looks neat. Move your number plate to that location as well. Do you know if the clamp/bracket is DIY or from Triumph India (aka the Thruxton's clamp). If DIY how is the finish and if good, can more orders be placed ?
Ram, DIY was done by dealership as they finally found a solution how to move the plate from the original horrendous location. They charged him Rs.140 ( 70 each for the screws that went in to plate at the new location)

Finish as you can see is quite nice and I really dont know what you mean by order placed as I understand it took them just a couple of screws and some DIY jugaad. Maybe, you can check with Bangalore dealership by showing this pic to them and request a replication of same on your Bonnie

I will get mine fixed as soon as I get some time to pay them a visit
Old 14th August 2014, 23:52   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If DIY how is the finish and if good, can more orders be placed ?
Quote:
I really dont know what you mean by order placed as I understand it took them just a couple of screws and some DIY jugaad
I think what Ram is meaning to ask is if the Rectifier which is present below the headlight was relocated using a metal plate and if that plate can be ordered. But looking at the zoomed in pic, it seems as if the dealership has placed the number plate a little below the rectifier. If that is the case it may not be advisable before relocating the rectifier first since the rectifier needs the flow of air from the front to stay cool. Generally (from you tube videos) it is relocated above/below the horn where the air flow is similar to the stock location. Just that a metal plate with holes for the bolts of the rectifier and the horn is needed which is available in the UK as a specific part.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 12:30   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ram, DIY was done by dealership as they finally found a solution how to move the plate from the original horrendous location. They charged him Rs.140 ( 70 each for the screws that went in to plate at the new location)
Then its definitely a jugad. They must gave used the same clamp they are using at the location above HL, by inverting it and rebending one end to fit at the yoke. I don't know how durable they are going to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I think what Ram is meaning to ask is if the Rectifier which is present below the headlight was relocated using a metal plate and if that plate can be ordered. But looking at the zoomed in pic, it seems as if the dealership has placed the number plate a little below the rectifier. If that is the case it may not be advisable before relocating the rectifier first since the rectifier needs the flow of air from the front to stay cool.
Yes Abhinav, what I meant was exactly this. You will need the following item or similar to relocate the Rectifier as well to the current location of horn (horn being retained in the same location generally but a bit lower).

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-rectifierrelocationkit.jpg

Actually, what I found out at Keerti was that Thruxtons in India are supplied with a bracket, which allows relocation of the number plate below the HL. Looks like its a Triumph India special and its of good quality machined and powder coated product.

I was wondering if Rebel had managed to get that product in to their parts stock and supplied it on that T 100.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 15th August 2014 at 12:34.
Old 18th August 2014, 15:48   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could you check with the rider of the silver Bonnie with the skid plate, if this accessory effectively lowers the ground clearance drastically? I find the 17" wheels bring the standard Bonnie dangerously close to Sportster levels over particularly nasty bumps. At the accessory shop, I changed my mind about my ordered skid plate because it seemed to lower the GC by at least 5-6 mm optically.
Sure. Will check with him and let you know. But, I personally dont think it brings GC down to Sporster level.

I normally scale 90% of speedbreakers without even stopping (Infact, Silver Bonnie owner has the habit of standing on footpegs and scales speedbreakers without even slowing down even at a reasonably high speed)...Can you do that on a sportster?

Having said that, there is that rare speedbreaker that is notoriously big and I slow down to single digit speeds to scale them

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I think what Ram is meaning to ask is if the Rectifier which is present below the headlight was relocated using a metal plate and if that plate can be ordered.
I don't think they have relocated the rectifier but, simply relocated the number plate to that new location. I dont think air flow should be a problem as air flow can happen even from sides and not necessarily from the front.

Quote:
I don't know how durable they are going to be
Agree with you. Only time will tell, I guess

Quote:
I was wondering if Rebel had managed to get that product in to their parts stock and supplied it on that T 100.
Will check again with owner on more details and post that info.
Old 23rd August 2014, 19:37   #599
BHPian

One more Bonny from Pune. My bike all set to leave the showroom.

QUIZ - Find 5 modification done on the bike

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-triumph-bonneville.jpg

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 23rd August 2014 at 19:39.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 20:12   #600
BHPian

Congrats Pawan. That's a nice looking bike. You've changed the mirrors, the brake fluid cylinder, skid plate, chrome headers and switched the ignition to the right. Is that all?
SUVolens is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks