Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2014, 22:26   #556
BHPian

re: Triumph Bonneville: My "Black Bruiser" gets ARROW'ed !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Hi SUVolens,
Congratulations on your Bonnie. Do share more details about it? When you bought it and how many kms munched on it and how do you feel about the bike overall etc.
Thanks Avi. Those were some nice things to say back there.

I don't have any photos of Clyde (what I christened the bike months before I got delivery. Incidentally, my earlier ride was a sea-green CL 500 I called Eugene. Now Eugene is with a friend and we ride together most weekends) with the Arrows on. Just been negligent in that dept. I do have a few pictures from before that which I'll share shortly. As for a video - I did record a short clip one morning in the basement, but the playback sounded so wimpy, I promptly opted to release that much space on my sd card instead. But I will record a clip once more if it helps.
I plan to take Clyde in to the Triumph Delhi workshop tomorrow, if the weather holds good. Else it'll need to wait a coupe of weeks more as per my travel schedule. The WS manager, Om Prakash is an ex-racer with RD 350's in the 90's and a real neat guy to chat up with, especially when we were trading tales of our respective RD's from back when. Naturally, he's a whiz on tune-jobs and I trust he can sort out what the Triumph Accessory shop botched while swapping pipes.
I will however, try to answer your queries point-wise, seeing that your dealer now stocks the 2:2's and you must really be eager to strap them on 'Bruiser. Here goes:

1. There's no way I could tell if they really weigh 50% less than the stocks. During installation, I picked up the stock header and the Arrow header and the difference was very negligible. When I asked the installer, he said that the main saving was in the weight of the cans. But I was hopping around like an excited puppy all around the bike and forgot to get a feeler when both cans were off the bike. But I'm guessing that the claim can't be too far off the mark. Rise-wise though, I can't make out the difference in weight. That's probably a statement on the fantastic balance of the original chassis, which I have marvelled and fallen in love with every kilometer of the 1500 I've done so far. Clyde, in many ways reminds me of my RD from many years ago, but I think thats a common refrain for riders who've sampled both these legends.

2. I am part in love and part not with the soundtrack. It is a completely mood thing. Make no mistake - I too think that the Arrows grow the missing balls on the Bonnie. It deserves to sound like the ponies it's throwing off all the time. The stock notes was a damn shame. But sometimes, you do feel like a quiet and civilised ride up the route, to just take in the scenery and slip by unnoticed. Fat chance of that with these pipes. There's no volume switch and the stereo's stuck at MAX. Ok, if you are steady on the gas, it does come down to a gentler burble..but it'll go back to that angry rasp almost before you've decided to up the speed a bit. Maybe a good helmet and some ear-plugs..My friends who've heard it, LOVE it. Even my friend who bought Eugene, and Eugene had the offroad exhaust from RE! My wife hates the Arrows.

3. Yup. 63,000/- That's what they cost at Triumph Delhi. The 2:1 costs 50,000/- and the Dealer insisted that they are sportier. But while I acknowledge that the weight saving on a 2x1 is palpable, the bike just didn't look right on the left and it was missing the twin burble, that I think is the essence of the Bonnie. The Dealer installed it and didn't charge a dime for the job. And incidentally, I find Triumph India prices of accessories cheaper than the dollar-converted prices on their international sites. The jacket, gloves, Arrows were all below their dollar prices. That's great!

4. That mileage is frightful alright. The range'll be worse than the 48 and I'll be broke before time. But I am pretty sure its an remap issue and can be sorted by good hands. The strangled pick-up is another dead giveaway. Hopefully I can update by day after.

5. Video and pictures coming soon.

6. Baffle removal and reinsertion is a simple job. Just require a needle-nose plier or a circlip remover tool to pinch and pull out the circlip at the exhaust opening (a small metal tab has to be broken first time. This prevents the circlip removal initially). Its then just a question of grabbing the baffles and puling them out. Insertion is the same process in reverse. Plenty of YouTube videos to give you visual aid on the process.

7. Although I wanted to, after my first ride, I never did go back to the baffles. They now lie bubble wrapped along with the stock exhausts in the Arrow crate. The baffles make it sound closer to a Hero Honda (and Hero Hondas are louder than the stock pipes I think) and I read that they seriously rob the power potential of the Arrows as they were originally designed. Besides I like the Arrowed Clyde more often than not, so I think I'll stick with these for the time.

Clyde was delivered on 4th June and was the first Bonneville to be delivered in Delhi as per the Triumph launch party here. But there's a funny story in there for some other post.

And hey Avi - no shock or apologies please. This is my first post in TBHP as you noticed, but I climbed on ever since I needed expert info on oddball vehicles, since I got my Yeti back in 2011. When I started lusting after the Triumph since the 2012 Auto Expo, I started trawling here for more info on the bike and sometime last year, came upon Ram's thread from his Bonnie in Dubai and latched onto your excellent thread since you received and started writing on yours. Just didn't speak up. But its been great fun and very useful all along. My vote of thanks to all you wonderful people who were involved in realizing one more automotive fantasy of mine. Even if you didn't know it Cheers!

Last edited by aah78 : 5th August 2014 at 22:42. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Quoted post edited.
SUVolens is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 11:18   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Avi/Rash - I use a Shark Stipple S700. The Evoline series are very good too. Some of the features are listed below (Source: Shark website)...
While on helmets, after plenty of trawling around, I narrowed down on a Nolan N43e Air Special N-Com, but had to order it on eBay from a dealer in Italy since it's a generation old and was a rare find in my size and choice of colour.
Tracking the consignment, I found out that the helmet reached India yesterday and has been under 'hold-down' at Indian customs since.
Anybody else here order an imported helmet online and face trouble with customs or is this just temporary? Would be happy to be guided towards the required procedure, unless its still coming to my door in a few days.
Thanks very much.
Old 6th August 2014, 12:34   #558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
Thanks Avi. Those were some nice things to say back there
Thanks SUV ( please share your name, feels quite odd to call you SUV )...I normally dont praise anything until I feel its worth praising and I will repeat you have a flair for writing which many of us here on forum dont.

So please treat us with more of your posts regularly and what best way than start your own Bonnie ownership thread on the forum.

Iam sure all members will enjoying reading your booking and ownership experiences ( iam sure you will throw in a lot of humorous anecdotes on the way to make things lively)

Quote:
I plan to take Clyde in to the Triumph Delhi workshop tomorrow, if the weather holds good. Else it'll need to wait a coupe of weeks more as per my travel schedule. The WS manager, Om Prakash is an ex-racer with RD 350's in the 90's and a real neat guy to chat up with, especially when we were trading tales of our respective RD's from back when. Naturally, he's a whiz on tune-jobs and I trust he can sort out what the Triumph Accessory shop botched while swapping pipes.
Clyde thats a lovely name ( Was the name inspired by her equally notorious partner "Bonnie"). Ah! your an ex RD 350 owner. No wonder you speak with such great passion about the Bonnie.

Iam waiting for Ram to come on this thread to add his comments who as you know also went through quite a few bikes and finally stopped at these 2 legendary bikes.

When you say Triumph Accessory shop, isnt that part of the dealership store and owned by Triumph folks? Iam slightly confused since you also mentioned that you will get botched map redone at Triumph Delhi workshop.

Quote:
1. There's no way I could tell if they really weigh 50% less than the stocks. That's probably a statement on the fantastic balance of the original chassis, which I have marvelled and fallen in love with every kilometer of the 1500 I've done so far. Clyde, in many ways reminds me of my RD from many years ago, but I think thats a common refrain for riders who've sampled both these legends.
I got the information from somewhere (dont recall now where) that stock pipes weight ~ 24kgs and Arrows weigh roughly 13kgs. Not sure how much truth is in information but, if its true then it won't take complex math to confirm the improved power to weight ratio.

Voila, no wonder I was doing wheelies on the Arrow'ed Bonnie as there is definetly a huge improvement in power delivery

Quote:
2. I am part in love and part not with the soundtrack. It is a completely mood thing. Make no mistake - I too think that the Arrows grow the missing balls on the Bonnie. It deserves to sound like the ponies it's throwing off all the time. The stock notes was a damn shame. But sometimes, you do feel like a quiet and civilised ride up the route, to just take in the scenery and slip by unnoticed. Fat chance of that with these pipes. There's no volume switch and the stereo's stuck at MAX. Ok, if you are steady on the gas, it does come down to a gentler burble..but it'll go back to that angry rasp almost before you've decided to up the speed a bit. Maybe a good helmet and some ear-plugs..My friends who've heard it, LOVE it. Even my friend who bought Eugene, and Eugene had the offroad exhaust from RE! My wife hates the Arrows.
I must have rode the Arrow'ed Bonnie for about 30kms-40kms and loved every kms of it and since I never tried it on the highways, Iam little apprehensive of the same factor that you outlined of inviting a headache from such a loud note. Having now ridden the Bonnie for ~6000kms, I have started appreciating the stock note as well which reminds me of a small capacity car

Iam totally ready for the Arrows provided they dont give me the obnoxious FE that you quoted and baffles can be slipped on and off easily to monitor the decibels

Quote:
3. Yup. 63,000/- That's what they cost at Triumph Delhi. The 2:1 costs 50,000/- and the Dealer insisted that they are sportier
One of our riding friends has installed a 2X1 on his Black Bonnie SE and is unhappy with it and is eagerly waiting to switch to Arrows 2X2

Quote:
4. That mileage is frightful alright. The range'll be worse than the 48 and I'll be broke before time. But I am pretty sure its an remap issue and can be sorted by good hands. The strangled pick-up is another dead giveaway. Hopefully I can update by day after.
Look forward to your FE updates. If it continues to be what your quoting then it may actually drive me away from installing these Italian beauties
Quote:
5. Video and pictures coming soon.
Can't wait to see (hear) them.........

Quote:
6. Baffle removal and reinsertion is a simple job.
Sounds like a 10-minute job. That's a huge comforting thing to know

Quote:
7. Although I wanted to, after my first ride, I never did go back to the baffles. They now lie bubble wrapped along with the stock exhausts in the Arrow crate. The baffles make it sound closer to a Hero Honda (and Hero Hondas are louder than the stock pipes I think) and I read that they seriously rob the power potential of the Arrows as they were originally designed. Besides I like the Arrowed Clyde more often than not, so I think I'll stick with these for the time.
So you have gotten used to the Arrowed Bonnie without baffle and enjoying the soundtrack by just monitoring the twist of your right hand

Quote:
This is my first post in TBHP as you noticed, but I climbed on ever since I needed expert info on oddball vehicles, since I got my Yeti back in 2011. When I started lusting after the Triumph since the 2012 Auto Expo,
Nice to know your background and look forward to your regular contribution. Cheers !!!
Old 6th August 2014, 13:02   #559
BHPian

Haha. Yeah, its a bit weird to be called SUV, unless I can trace my family tree somewhere in Bavaria. It's actually Suvolens - my Flickr handle from yore and part name (Suvo, short for Subhashish and Lens for photography). When I signed into tbhp, it just seemed a clever phrasing since I was after all searching out 4x4 topics for my Yeti. Silly stuff that we do and live to regret later. On the name-game bit - yes, Clyde is the other part of Bonnie and I'm sure you would know by now that I'm some sort of an irrepressible punster
I had to skip getting Clyde remapped today since it looked like rain in the morning, so performance and FE updates will need to wait a bit longer. But before I had the Arrows, I tried out a TOR'd T100 at the workshop while I was in for the first service. I have to say that it had a most pleasing cadence to ride to and it cost a fraction of the Arrows. The performance gain from the latter is really not a deal-breaker, unless you're willing to go the whole hog and strip the machine of its Air Injectors and OE Airbox as I seem to be reading on various Triumph RAT posts. I'm not de-selling these current pipes. I'd still rank them as the best looking pipes among all the Bonnie after-markets available (and I've researched them all). The best sounding in my opinion are the British Custom Predators. But Triumph India clearly said that they will void the warranty unless the AM pipes are TORs or Arrows.
Triumph Delhi do not have the workshop and the Dealership at the same location. The Shop and the Accessory shop are in the same mall (but different levels) and the Workshop is actually in Gurgaon. Cheers!
SUVolens is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 13:52   #560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I tried out a TOR'd T100 at the workshop while I was in for the first service. I have to say that it had a most pleasing cadence to ride to and it cost a fraction of the Arrows. The performance gain from the latter is really not a deal-breaker, unless you're willing to go the whole hog and strip the machine of its Air Injectors and OE Airbox as I seem to be reading on various Triumph RAT posts. I'm not de-selling these current pipes. I'd still rank them as the best looking pipes among all the Bonnie after-markets available (and I've researched them all). The best sounding in my opinion are the British Custom Predators.
Wow! Delhi got its own dealership so late but, you guys seems to be ahead in the accessory department. Iam surprised to know that Delhi dealership is even offering TOR as option to Arrows for aftermarket pipes. Whereas here we are starving even for the Arrows as a readily available option

Do you have any info of how much they cost?

Quote:
But Triumph India clearly said that they will void the warranty unless the AM pipes are TORs or Arrows.
Triumph India as in the Delhi dealership?

Quote:
Triumph Delhi do not have the workshop and the Dealership at the same location. The Shop and the Accessory shop are in the same mall (but different levels) and the Workshop is actually in Gurgaon. Cheers!
Thanks for this clarification. That's actually a bother. For us here in Hyderabad, everything is under one roof

Btw, Iam in Delhi next weekend for 3 days. If you have some spare time would love to catch up on your Bonnie for a quick coffee or something
Old 6th August 2014, 14:37   #561
BHPian

The TORs are 15k if I remember correctly, or thereabouts and I should think that a Triumph Store should store that readily given that it's an 'in-house' brand.
Next weekend as in 8-10th? Oh no! I'm traveling with my work-crew to Goa for a fun weekend! It would've been fantastic meeting up otherwise. But do you keep coming to Delhi? There'll be next time to look forward to then..

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th August 2014 at 15:10. Reason: Edited out the incorrect font tags...
Old 6th August 2014, 15:12   #562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The TORs are 15k if I remember correctly, or thereabouts and I should think that a Triumph Store should store that readily given that it's an 'in-house' brand. But do you keep coming to Delhi? There'll be next time to look forward to then..
Thats a killer price...I have a lot of family in Delhi so I visit around 3-4 times a year

Iam actually in Delhi from Aug 15-Aug 17
Old 6th August 2014, 15:13   #563
Senior - BHPian

Saw this on you tube-Dominator touring exhausts,sounded awesome.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 15:21   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Saw this on you tube-Dominator touring exhausts,sounded awesome.
Dominators and BC Predators are the same design, the former primarily sold in the US markets. Yes, they are the best sounding of all the aftermarket pipes. They are cheaper by a fair margin too compared to the Arrows. I almost ordered a set off the BC website, but worried about the warranty comment and settled for the Arrows instead. I do prefer the looks of the stainless steel Italian pipes, and like I said, once you get used to the din, there's something to be said for the aggressive edge in the Arrow note..

15-17th, huh? I should be in town. Let's meet up!

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th August 2014 at 16:33. Reason: Please avoid quoting vidoes, pics, emoticons as it mars the reading experience of members. Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 15:27   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While on helmets, after plenty of trawling around, I narrowed down on a Nolan N43e Air Special N-Com, but had to order it on eBay from a dealer in Italy since it's a generation old and was a rare find in my size and choice of colour.
Tracking the consignment, I found out that the helmet reached India yesterday and has been under 'hold-down' at Indian customs since.
Anybody else here order an imported helmet online and face trouble with customs or is this just temporary? Would be happy to be guided towards the required procedure, unless its still coming to my door in a few days.
Thanks very much.
I could be hauled for Off-topic posting. Hope the mods are kind to me on this.

Last when I had faced this "hold-down" situation was when I had ordered some Jeep parts from the US.

Usually one gets a notice from the customs office stating reasons. If you haven't, I see no harm in doing a cold call to the customs office with the information you got and do a bit of "Uncle/Uncle please" and it should be done (with a payment of any duties as applicable).
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 17:23   #566
BHPian

I am reproducing here a short piece I posted long back on another friendly forum, in the interests of my 'two cents' on most things Triumph. I doubt I would want to start an all new thread by myself, after all the interesting and accurate descriptions on the Bonnie in Avi's thread. So if you don't mind, I'll simply continue to hang around in this room and have the occasional swig from whatever you guys are having

The road to a Bonneville burns through a half of dozen of Triumphs' best and in most cases, most unaffordable. At any rate, for all riders in here, I am sharing purely first impressions of the offerings from the British marque:

Triumph Thunderbird - 1700 cc's of hulking metal, this was the first bike offered me as a test ride soon after the Delhi dealer was announced way back in March. Second only to the planet-sized Rocket III, you need to be of a certain girth to even start 'lookin good' on this British cruiser after your Americanised dreams. I did not posses the said quality and hence looked even more squeamish than I should have let on. The cinemascope handlebars, feet-splayed-out stance and a inches-above-the-tarmac-butt feeling made me feel distinctly like a monkey on the savannah's best tusker, and firing the 'Bird up brought forth a rumble that only helped spike my queasiness manifolds. Nevertheless, I was a would-be-Triumph-customer, wasn't I? So, with a brave, toothy smile and an unseen prayer, I let out the (superlight for the size) clutch and lurched forward in the noonday Gurgaon traffic. There were no surprises in the short 5-7 kms spin.
Eyeballs - check
Paranoia of tight gaps - check
Easy power - check
Add to the above - deceptively adept cornering and stiff ride. Not for everyone, the 'Bird. Definitely not for the strictly-urban rider either. Idling at the traffic-lights will tandoor you before you can shout "May the Force be with you!".

Triumph Bonneville T-100 - the classiest classic in the T range. It pours chrome from every single orifice on its beautiful 60's inspired body. Costs nearly 70k more than it's plainer A3 (mine) cousin of 70's inspiration, and for that, you get plenty of bling, spoked 19" wheels (actually 19/18 F/R), nicer built controls, tachometer and period-correct pea-shooter pipes.
Having ridden the mammoth Thunderbird, seconds earlier, the T-100 put me in instant Nirvana! The flat squab of a seat, perfectly reached and spaced grips from the bar, ever so slightly rear-set pegs, immediately puts the rider in a stance you would both look good and feel like a million bucks in, ALL. DAY. LONG. The motor's all butter and popcorn - smooth and poppy at the tail-end of business. Twin counter-balancers iron out the last wrinkle in the inline twin motor and what you ride on is a glorious surge that only grows a little coarse-ish when the needle goes north of 120 kmph (as tried on NH8). I'd heard how the T-100 was a little 'lazy' compared to it's smaller wheeled A3 cuz, but to me, it was purely academic since the A3 was not available for a test ride. The bike felt, long, seductive and agreeable. Just pick your favourite Hollywood lady and replace the image in your mind.

Triumph Tiger 800 XC - I have ridden this twice. Once before I committed to the Bonnie. Once, after it was too late. And I wept both the times.
Getting on-board the smaller of the two adventure legends from the Big T insists that you meet few or all of the following criteria:

1. Vertically endowed - otherwise, you'll simply keel over at a stoplight for lack of foothold on mother earth.
2. Litheness of a NBA superstar - otherwise, you'll steadily rub your knee out of existence on the alloy grab handles every time you try to swing a leg over the saddle.
3. Reserves of the Buddha - otherwise, the maniacal triple inline will make you do silly things on the road, egged on by an even more maniacal whine and the ride of a hovercraft over anything less than Everest. It is FAST. It is ALL CONQUERING. And it HOWLS. It also has switchable ABS and a thousand other thingamagiques that will stun the most ardent Range Rover worshipper.
4. Thighs of steel - otherwise, whatever legs you salvaged trying to mount or stay on the Tiger, will be mauled away by the hellish heat blowing back from the liquid-cooling system in slow traffic or a stoplight.

The first time I wept since my wife wouldn't hear of splurging the added moolah over the Bonnie. The second time it was tears of joy as the showroom loomed up over the horizon on a traffic-packed road. I swear, any later and I'd have had to carry char-broiled legs to the dealer AFTER I figured out how to dismount on two stubby knees. I ran an embraced my Bonnie in sheer relief.

Triumph Street Triple - Called Striple by well, Striple fanboys, this 675 cc puck sized demon is predicted to be The Seller from Triumph among Youngistan. Priced at an 'affordable' 8.10 lacs, this 106 bhp triple sits pretty between the Bonnevilles and the Tigers and Daytonas. Some say, its basically a naked Daytona and I rode both briefly and have to concur that the adrenalin on both are mostly comparable and on the Striple, you get to keep your 44 year old back. For a few years longer. Inline triples are a signature Triumph engineering. Its what they do best I suppose, like Tata is best at earth movers and the like. They've got the frenetic nature of these motors down to a pat then. Surprisingly roomy on board even for tallish old me, the Striple is something KTM riders are going to aspire to. If I was 10 years younger and on the hunt for wheelies in front of girlie zones, I'd probably have considered, never mind how gawky I looked on the tiny thing.

Daytona 675 R - The flagship model I suppose from Triumph, the midsized hyperbike from Triumph left me vaguely unimpressed and with a lingering backache. But before this is taken to be too harsh - its probably just middle aged old me, who can't bend to untie shoelaces every night, forget about laying prone on a tank on board a missile negotiating traffic at warp speeds. To be honest, I've never ridden a sportsbike a day in my life. Not even the R15. It has been a steady diet of the upright riders, right from the RX100 till Eugene my (now Roshun's) Classic 500. Brief stints on my brothers P200 and KTM don't count simply because of their rearsets. Being suddenly ordered into a racing posture on the Daytona therefore, is far from funny. Even less funny is having your nose buried on a digital readout that looks for all practical purposes, a mind of its own. 40 now, 120 the next sec and WHOA! 20 again! The shoulders give up before long, but not before you get the perverse joy of burbling up next to this guy with his girlfriend on a fancy CBR250 and then putting two light blips on the throttle before pulling away. One can pretty much be sure that the boy will need to up his party-tricks portfolio to keep the said girl from wandering/wondering. I shall remain a forever fan of the triple howls of Triumph. And these were only stock pipes. However, a parting shot - probably because I am unused to redlining bikes that I'm used to riding, I was a little underwhelmed with the legendary Daytona's acceleration. In fact, I felt the Tiger had more surge, which cannot be correct. So its probably got to do with a 'stage 2' rocket, that I simply didn't light on this short ride.

Bonneville (A3) - finally Clyde. That's what I'm calling my ride temporarily. But I'm pretty sure that I want him to be a her this time. But till rechristening happens..
The A3 is more different from the T100 than looks belie. You sit more upright (higher bars), there's no tach and the chromes all but gone except for two megaphone silencers that replace the peashooters. But its only once you start dancing that you realise that someone just swapped Fred Astaire with Kevin Bacon! The 2" smaller alloys, lower seat and higher bars make this one a wolf in sheep's clothing. Its always wanting to lean in, always wanting to just reach out and touch 100 on the single dial, just to show you it can and its always singing a quiet song behind your back that's faintly reminiscent of a 350 twin from long ago. I have miles to go before I finish 'bedding-in' the motor and I can really try open roads and the heatwave up north is just a cruel joke, playing out after I had to wait so long to get the Bonnie in the basement. But I'll let you know when I do.
Rosh and I have some mile-munchin to do, right Roshun Povaiah?

Cheers!
SUVolens is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 19:04   #567
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
its always singing a quiet song behind your back that's faintly reminiscent of a 350 twin from long ago.

SUV,

You are spot on ! Last one month I had rested my bigger twin and was on my 350 twin. With rains and all in Trivandrum, I was reliving my late twenties (but with a better confidence gained from handling bigger machines along the way), and often only when I touch the front brakes, I wake up to realise that I am not on my bigger twin

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 14:13   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am reproducing here a short piece I posted long back on another friendly forum, in the interests of my 'two cents' on most things Triumph. I doubt I would want to start an all new thread by myself, after all the interesting and accurate descriptions on the Bonnie in Avi's thread. So if you don't mind, I'll simply continue to hang around in this room and have the occasional swig from whatever you guys are having
Subhashish, firstly your most welcome to dip into this bonniefi'ed pool and keep adding posts in your unique effervescent style to entertain all of us

Secondly, your description of the test rides of Triumph stable was a nice witty read and in particular, references to monkey on a savvanah tusker, laying prone on the tank etc...

Btw, whenever i decide to add a bike to my already bulging garage, it would be a proper cruiser ( I think after a few more years down the line, I'll look forward to be a monkey swinging on a tusker from the savvanah land...T-Bird...LOL)
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 14:22   #569
BHPian

So I took the bike to the workshop today to have the doctor look at his hiccupping and drinking issues. Turns out I was right after all. It was running too rich, on account of a wrong tune upload while swapping to the Arrows. The correct tune for India would require the fuel specified at 91 RON, but errant tune was for a different fuel grade, probably suited for other countries (although for the Arrow 2:2 mod). This was causing the horrendous dip in mileage. What caused the bike to hesitate/hiccup under throttle was 'unbalanced throttle-bodies' and this too was set right in seconds through the software. A trial run and the trip back to my office in Gurgaon reveals an all new character to the Arrow'd Clyde! Smooth like I'd never imagined and an acceleration that tells me I checked all the right boxes when picking up these sweet pipes. The idling burble has a softer note to it too. Probably the long ride back home would reveal more.
In the meantime, I got a short clip to showcase the soundtrack. Unfortunately, Om Prakash wrung the goonies out of poor Clyde's throttle when all I wanted was a progressive job. The result is ear-splitting and far from what the bike sounds in real life. I notice that the sound compression completely kills the rich bass of the Arrows and all that comes through are the angry top notes. Still..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Btw, whenever i decide to add a bike to my already bulging garage, it would be a proper cruiser ( I think after a few more years down the line, I'll look forward to be a monkey swinging on a tusker from the savvanah land...T-Bird...LOL)
Thanks for making me welcome Avi, and I'm glad you enjoyed the previews. The T-Bird would suit you to a er..T, having seen your pictures on this forum In fact, you tend to dwarf the Bonnie a bit. Here's to the tusker then

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th August 2014 at 16:28. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 7th August 2014, 15:17   #570
BHPian

It's raining Bonnies and Clydes here on teambhp. Expect yet another thread soon. Any name suggestions?
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks