Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2014, 14:32   #376
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Triumph Bonneville: My "Black Bruiser" gets ARROW'ed !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Just a simple query :-

I have completed 3,500kms and havent lubricated the chain of bike yet. From a visual glance the chain doesn't look dry to me

Last it was lubed was during its 1st service (800kms-Odo reading)

Any related risks of not lubricating the chain?

Since it comes just with a side stand, Iam being a tad too lazy of cleaning the chain and then lubing it
Just a simple answer

If you want your chain and sprokets to last longer - please get a can of chain lube, do a bit of work-out.

Do this once in while at least - 2,700 kms without lube is little too long. It may not appear dry, but you know wet things are better.

Avi, till you get a centre stand it will be a pain (here is a picture to show how Bonney looks on a centre stand - she looks nice doesn't she )

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_0840a.jpg

Even just a short over - spray is helpful

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 19th May 2014 at 14:34.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 14:50   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is an eye opener. Now I should stop being lazy and get down and make my hands dirty to clean and lube the chain if i want to save some real bucks. Will do it over the week

Any guidance on cleaning and lubing a bike with JUST a side-stand? Also please share the name of the chain cleaner and lubricating products and will the same MOTUL products hold good for the Bonnie as well?
Avi, it's very easy to clean and lube the chain contrary to popular belief.

Since your bike has no center stand, move the bike front and back while spraying the chain clean solution. Wait for 5-10 mins for the cleaning solution to penetrate the links and loosen the dirt. You will see mucky residue falling off the chain after the cleaning solution is sprayed.

Use a lint free cloth (microfiber works best) to wipe away dirt and grime from the chain. Spray the lube evenly on the chain ; ensure to cover both sides of the chain (upper and lower), leave the bike aside for the lube to penetrate the links and dry itself up.

I'm sure the Motul products will work well for the bonnie too. After all the chemical composition that make these products is not very different.

I use Motul Road Chain Clean and Lube.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 15:05   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Avi, till you get a centre stand it will be a pain (here is a picture to show how Bonney looks on a centre stand - she looks nice doesn't she )
Indeed looks pretty as a peach !!!

Quote:
Even just a short over - spray is helpful
What's a short-over spray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Since your bike has no center stand, move the bike front and back while spraying the chain clean solution. Wait for 5-10 mins for the cleaning solution to penetrate the links and loosen the dirt. You will see mucky residue falling off the chain after the cleaning solution is sprayed.

Use a lint free cloth (microfiber works best) to wipe away dirt and grime from the chain. Spray the lube evenly on the chain ; ensure to cover both sides of the chain (upper and lower), leave the bike aside for the lube to penetrate the links and dry itself up.
Doesnt sound too hard to me. I have never done it before as I got it done by someone for me but, I think it would be interesting to learn and do it myself this time

Quote:
Thanks. Any online store you recommend to buy these products from?

P.S: Btw, rode the Triumph Thruxton yesterday. A short review report coming up shortly !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th May 2014 at 16:22.
Old 19th May 2014, 15:20   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:

What's a short-over spray?
Same thing as what Aditya has stated so well. Let me see if I have the pictures of some DIY tools I had cotrived for this before I got my centre stand - whic may be a cheaper interim solution for you

I am sure you would have loved the Truxton

BTW did you see the front number plate clamp the Triumph India have devised for the Thruxton? Its really nice and neat and can be fitted on Bonney easily. The Bangalore dealer is trying to get some from Triumph India -lean on the Rebels and see if they have more influence and get some (one for me too please)

Best Regards & Ride safe

Ram
Old 19th May 2014, 15:30   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Doesnt sound too hard to me. I have never done it before as I got it done by someone for me but, I think it would be interesting to learn and do it myself this time

Thanks. Any online store you recommend to buy these products from?
Used to use the Motul Chain Lube as well, but noticed that the Oil based lubes were picking up more dirt and grime, especially if not left long enough after spraying.

Managed to get a couple of cans of Dupont Teflon Spray which worked a lot better.

Dunno if Dupont will be available, but Wurth has a Chain wax as well which is dry.

If you can find a Hardware store selling chemicals and sprays, look for CRC branded chain lube. It is made of PTFE, and used in food grade equipment. Works pretty good as well.

If you do get a Centre Stand, PLEASE DO NOT think of cleaning the chain with the engine running. It will be tempting to put the bike in gear and spray the chain. Very easy to lose a finger this way.

Cheers

Ride Safe
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 16:29   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure you would have loved the Truxton
Actually not really. It's a good bike since it has same engine and more less same specs as Bonnie but, I still find Bonnie better. Detailed feedback soon

Quote:
BTW did you see the front number plate clamp the Triumph India have devised for the Thruxton? Its really nice and neat and can be fitted on Bonney easily. The Bangalore dealer is trying to get some from Triumph India -lean on the Rebels and see if they have more influence and get some (one for me too please)
Yes, I have noticed it and even enquired the same with Rebel. They said they will figure out a similar thing for Bonnie soon. Will keep you posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Used to use the Motul Chain Lube as well, but noticed that the Oil based lubes were picking up more dirt and grime, especially if not left long enough after spraying.

Managed to get a couple of cans of Dupont Teflon Spray which worked a lot better.

Dunno if Dupont will be available, but Wurth has a Chain wax as well which is dry.

If you can find a Hardware store selling chemicals and sprays, look for CRC branded chain lube. It is made of PTFE, and used in food grade equipment. Works pretty good as well.
Thanks for your inputs

If Motul is oil based lube then what are other products based on?

Now I have a choice in brands :-

1. Motul
2. Dupont
3. Wurth Wax ( Why wax? We are discussing grub cleaner and then lubricator, arent we? How will wax help?)
4. CRC ( Nice input). Have you used it? Good results?
Old 19th May 2014, 16:40   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any online store you recommend to buy these products from?
You can buy this at Performance Racing Store, Mumbai (link).

Here is the address of the Motul Reseller in Hyd:

M/s. Hima Marketing Pvt. Ltd
Contact Person: Mr. Chandra Sekhar Rao

F-202, Lakshmi Residency, D.K.Road
Ameerpet, HYDERABAD - 500 016
Tel: 040-23750705
Mobile: 9849795949
chandra@himamarketing.com

Source.

You can also use Tribocor which is very popular and works well too.

Here is a link to their product line.

For cleaning the chain, you can use Tribocor Heavy Duty Cleaner Spray TC 28 and for lubricating the chain you can use Tribocor Chain Lube Spray TC 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post

Yes, these oil based lubes tend to pick up dirt and grime if you're riding in extremely dusty conditions. Also, if you spray too much and don't allow any drying time, the excess lube will fling off and stick to your wheels which is quite messy to clean. (I apply a coat of wax on the wheels so it's easy to get the lube off)

I did manage to source the DuPont Teflon Chain Saver lube and it's got some pretty rave reviews too but costs 3 times more than Motul. I decided to save money and rather get my hands dirty

Last edited by n_aditya : 19th May 2014 at 16:46. Reason: added more info
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 18:12   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Just a simple query :-

I have completed 3,500kms and havent lubricated the chain of bike yet. From a visual glance the chain doesn't look dry to me

Since it comes just with a side stand, Iam being a tad too lazy of cleaning the chain and then lubing it
I am very much particular about chain lubrication.I lube the chain every 700-800 Kms. Apart from increasing the life of chain and sprocket like others mentioned,regular lubrication also ensures that you are able to get optimum performance from the bike.
A paddock stand/center stand will make your life easier,however not absolutely necessary

I use MOTUL products for both clean and lube, but from next time onwards i will just get the lube and will look at alternatives for the cleaner.You can source them from "DYNAMIC RYDERZ" as they are official dealers of motul.

I have once tried the "dry lube" from mud-off,the biggest advantage here is you need not worry about the dust and grime accumulation.But it lasted for just 400-500 Kms. I wanted to get this but unable to find them

Attaching a video which explains the process in simple :

PS: If you don't want to get your hands dirty,there is another alternative too but little expensive.Its an automated oiler which will keep on adding the lube according to requirement and all this while you are happily riding.
"SCOTTOILER vsystem",Attaching a video which explains the mechanism of this:

But the price is just 260 to 300 USD

Awaiting pics from your DSLR(don't think i am in any of them)

Regards,
harsha
harsha.muvva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 08:43   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a short update on a Triumph ride that we enjoyed last sunday.

Initially there were supposed to be close to 15 bikes but, unfortunately the final count of bikes were just 7-8 bikes including 2 FZ1 from Hyderabad and one from Guntur that had a lovely Arka exhuast fitted.

That rider was interested to sell his FZ1 and pick up a Triumph Thunderbird Storm

We had planned for a short ride but, one of the FZ1 rider's friends were coming from Guntur to Suryapet which is roughly 200kms on yet another FZ1 so he requested us to ride till Suryapet which is roughly about 135kms from home.

So what was supposed to be a 150kms ride turned into a 265kms over all ride but, it was a blast as I got a chance to ride the beautiful Thruxton and also FZ1 for long distances

Sharing some snaps of this sunday ride. As you can imagine, Tiger 800XC and Thruxton were the highlight of this ride as I was noticing when 800XC was passing people in city limits, people were practically gaping at the bike as Iam sure they have seen anything like that before

Overall, it was a great ride, superb company ( most of which are now slowly becoming good friends) and lovely food

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9263_01.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9265.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9266.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9267_01.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9268.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9270_01.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9271.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9274_02.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9276.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9277_01.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9278.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9279.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9283_02.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9284.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9285_01.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9287.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9290.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9293.jpg

My Short Feedback on Thurxton

Gorgeous built quality and its definetly built better than the Bonnie and T100 (just take a look at its footpegs, piece of art). It was turning heads like crazy on roads and got as much attention as the Tiger 800XC if not more !!

Riding position is very aggressive and typical cafe racer style. Foot Pegs are situated way behind and provides a very stylish and racing stance

Engine felt little gruff ( bike had done less than 200kms, Iam sure it will feel better after more kms under its belt or maybe after 1st service)

Engine though same supposed to be peppier than Bonnie SE due to different compression ratio but, I didnt get that feeling

Both front and back brakes had lot of play and didnt have quitessential superb bite of regular Bonnie

Handling is quite good and it will take you a little while to get used to its
stance and different handlebars/bar mirrors and once your comfortable after a few kms, you will be at home with its handling. I felt its handling to be better than T100 but, no comparison to Bonnie SE

It was swaying a bit after a certain high speed and same feeling was conveyed by all who rode it. Not sure whats the problem, they plan to check it out

It's indeed an awesome bike but, Iam definetly not regretting getting the Bonnie

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9273_01.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9280.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 14:20   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was swaying a bit after a certain high speed and same feeling was conveyed by all who rode it. Not sure whats the problem, they plan to check it out
Hi Avi,

That still was a nice turn out and you guys seem to be having good rides regularly.

The swaying:-

The bike I think is still a dealers bike and no mods on it yet. The Thruxton has the Bikini Fairing, which essentially is an add on though OE. If you look at the user mnnuals of most of the Triumphs you will see those "post it" kind of notes giving advisory "bikes with extra fittings should not be used in speeds exceeding a certain limit"

After "a certain speed", its thought that the bikini fairing is catching the air and causing the sway. The remedy is the "steering damper". In Thruxtons with dampers you can do speeds at least in excess of about 20% what Bonney's can be stretched to do, without any sway. But then you sacrifice a bit in handling as the bike tends to stand up more on corners and you will have to really pull it down

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 14:35   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The bike I think is still a dealers bike and no mods on it yet. The Thruxton has the Bikini Fairing, which essentially is an add on though OE.
Thanks for that input Ram. Yes, we ride almost every saturday/sunday.

That Thruxton is owned by the owner of the dealership and is not a T/R bike. I didnt know that fairing is an add-on but, OE. I thought thats how the bike came in the first place?

I missed sharing a few more pictures of the bikes from other group that we met at the hotel and rode back together

Big Dog Customs. Just couldnt make out what's the original make of this chopper. Entire hotel came out to see him off

We rode along with it, honestly speaking its simply not practical...LOL!

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9297.jpg

Saw the BMW 1200GS for the first time upfront. Beautiful

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9296.jpg

One of the Bonnie and R1 was from the other group of riders
My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9291.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th May 2014 at 14:36.
Old 20th May 2014, 16:08   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didnt know that fairing is an add-on but, OE. I thought thats how the bike came in the first place?
Perhaps I should have put it differently - Yes the Thruxtons come with the bikini faired version only and in that its OE.

What I meant was that the fairing was an addon along with other mods (including the engine) on a Bonney basic to make it Thruxton or the Bonney Cafe racer.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 20th May 2014, 17:18   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can buy this at Performance Racing Store, Mumbai.Here is the address of the Motul Reseller in Hyd:
I find performance racing store pricing on higher side. Anyways, I have sourced it in Hyderabad and will pick up the Motul bottles this evening

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
I am very much particular about chain lubrication.I lube the chain every 700-800 Kms. Apart from increasing the life of chain and sprocket like others mentioned,regular lubrication also ensures that you are able to get optimum performance from the bike.

I use MOTUL products for both clean and lube, but from next time onwards i will just get the lube and will look at alternatives for the cleaner.You can source them from "DYNAMIC RYDERZ" as they are official dealers of motul.

I have once tried the "dry lube" from mud-off,the biggest advantage here is you need not worry about the dust and grime accumulation.But it lasted for just 400-500 Kms. I wanted to get this but unable to find them
Thanks HM for that lovely video. Now i completely understood how to do it and look forward to my first "Clean Chain Andolan" soon

Checked with Dynamic Riderz they dont have it in stock but, there is a major stockist at Ramkote which is very near to home so will pick up from there

Why do you want to change the cleaning solution? Motul isnt satisfactory?

I saw lot of Mud-off products at Adventure on Rocks store. Perhaps you would like to try them out for what you are looking for
Old 21st May 2014, 08:40   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Checked with Dynamic Riderz they dont have it in stock but, there is a major stockist at Ramkote which is very near to home so will pick up from there

Why do you want to change the cleaning solution? Motul isnt satisfactory?

I saw lot of Mud-off products at Adventure on Rocks store. Perhaps you would like to try them out for what you are looking for
Even i used to source the lube&cleaner from the big store in ramkote(forgot the name ).Suggested DR since its on the way to your office!

I am satisfied with the cleaning ability,but with my usage the can hardly lasts for 3/4 times.So looking at low-cost and effective alternatives

Thanks for the lead,will check out the store soon!

Regards,
harsha
Old 21st May 2014, 15:20   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even i used to source the lube&cleaner from the big store in ramkote(forgot the name ).Suggested DR since its on the way to your office!
Yesterday I sourced the MOTUL products (Clean & Lube) from "Ratiwal Agencies" at Ramkote as they are the main stockist for AP and are stone throw away from my home.

Owner ( Naresh Ratiwal) is a friendly guy and was asking me if i have a riding group and which bike I ride etc..as he is also a bullet rider and rides with Wanderers once in a while and was enquiring if he can join us for any rides

That 10 mins conversation got me a 10% discount..LOL!

One more entry to our Bikers whatsapp group

Quote:
I am satisfied with the cleaning ability,but with my usage the can hardly lasts for 3/4 times.So looking at low-cost and effective alternatives
Both included is 900 bucks and if you clean your chain once every 1000kms and both products last for 4 applications.

Not a bad deal to spend 900 bucks for every 4000kms. What say?

Cheaper bet is to use diesel to clean chain instead of cleaning solution.

Rider60 (Yash) strongly recommends that over the cleaning solution and even offered to come home and give me a demo in person (planned for tomorrow)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks