Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2014, 21:07   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Triumph Bonneville: My "Black Bruiser" gets ARROW'ed !!!

Guys,

Iam back in town after one of the most epic ride of my life

~ 1200kms in 44 hours

Detailed report and pictures coming up in 1-2 days

Cheers
Avi
Attached Thumbnails
My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140428_195106.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 09:45   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Ride Report of a Triumph Bonneville (1200kms in 44 Hours)

As you all know, some of my friends & BHPians decided to ride to Bangalore and back purely for reason that entire stretch is a broad 4-lane highway with divider running through-out which adds considerably to safety bit for any road journey. Hyderabad to Bangalore is roughly 600kms from door-to-door until heart of town of Bangalore (Brigade Road) but, we normally calculate the distances between Hyderabad Airport & Bangalore Airport both of which are outside of respective cities and mandatory to cross while travelling between these 2 cities and is usually taken as starting/end point for any ride/drive

Hyderabad Airport (RGIA) to Bangalore Airport (Devenhalli) is roughly 570kms.

Ride/Drive Participants

1. Mobike008+1 (Triumph Bonneville)
2. Mani (Triumph Bonneville T100)
3. Sanjay (Triumph Bonneville)
4. Insearch + 1 (RE Thunderbird 500)
5. Absynthguzzler + 1 (Triumph Bonneville...Naaahh...Getz CRDi)
6. Ecosport Rules + 1 (Ford Ecosport)

Journey Time

April 26: Hyderabad (RGIA)-Bangalore(BIA) : 5:00am-12:00pm
April 27: Bangalore(BIA)-Hyderabad (RGIA) : 5:00pm-12:15am

Both sides we covered the distance in 7 hours, give or take 15 minutes including stops which were plenty. While going 1-hour stop for breakfast at Kurnool and while return 1-hour stop for Dinner near Ananthpur.

Besides these two major stops, we stopped 3-4 times for approx 5-10 mins each for resting and drinking water as the weather was quite hot and body lost lot of water. I was practically drinking one bottle during each stop and can feel the body soaking up water hungrily. Thanks to Ecosport rules, his car had a fridge and was fully loaded with water bottles and chilled buttermilk and we even picked up a couple of bottles of fresh coconut water from Mani's farm house enroute which provided lot of respite from the searing heat.

Our moving average for most times was 100kmph or little above !!! Special mention to Insearch as he gave everything he had and was almost keeping up with the Bonnie Trio. Kudos to him !!

We had decided to meet at airport entrance and head out sharp at 4:30am but, things never go as planned. Isn't that true? We finally headed out at 5:00am from RGIA and were on the way. Lots of truck traffic and it was a different experience riding a motorcycle at night. We rode for about an hour when finally it was dawn and brought some relief as I didnt get used to night riding by then on the Bonnie.

As we rode, journey became smoother and all of us were riding in symphony and were keeping a steady high speed and stopped for breakfast at Kurnool which is 210kms away at about 7:00am and enjoyed a hearty south indian breakfast and left that place at 8:00am and resumed riding with me taking over T100 for next 120kms or so.

Just before approaching the Bangalore airport, all riders were taken by surprise with a couple of huge rumblers which all 4 bikers took at high speed and in that bargain Insearch hurt his back which made his return ride quite uncomfortable (No, he wasnt left behind during return. He still kept up with us most of the time...Impressed with his riding)

We reached Bangalore airport around noon and found our way into the city and checked into hotel which was right across Brigade road (one of the conditions for the women folks to join us for this trip-SHOPPING....). We had a fantastic day (Actually we spent 29 hours) in Bangalore and met some close friends.

Partied in the night, had a great Arabian meal and then went to the famous Haji Ali for ice-creams at 1:00am at night, all thanks to Silverwood who took us around to all these great joints. Next day, we had a fantastic breakfast and more ice-creams at Corner House and after some shopping, dilly-dallying and meeting more friends we headed out from BIA at 5:00pm

Originally, our plan was to leave at 2:00pm so we could cover most of the return distance during daylight but, it was scorchingly hot during the day and somehow our plans didnt materialize of leaving early which meant that we will be riding majority of return distance during dark (450kms+)

I dont have any experience of riding at night ( whatever long highway distances were done during day-time and that too a decade ago) and was little apprehensive about visibility and stock lights performance. But, it was one of the most fantastic experience of my life.

I enjoyed riding the Bonnie more at night than during daylight. 3 of us were overtaking everything in our sight and there was not a single vehicle on highway that overtook us as we kept a steady 120kmph most of return distance and still averaged 100kmph as against the bursts of speeds during the onward journey to Bangalore

It's now time for some deeper singhts into Triumph Bonneville after a marathon 1200kms

Performance

Bonnie performance is simply mind-blowing. There is so much power ready on tap, its simply too exciting even for someone upgrading from a 500cc race dynamics modified bullet. The power feels so exhilirating its almost like your on a 4-wheeler and I must confess something here, there were two things that were hardly used during the entire ride. Gears & Brakes

Gears : Once you move from standstill and upshift to highest gear, there is absolutely no need to downshift at all unless your coming to a standstill.
Infact, I was overtaking all vehicles in 5th gear and even took many speed breakers at 5th/4th gear

Brakes : Bonneville 2nd strongest feature. Initially I was taking long sweeping turns at 120kmph and some places i wasn't too confident and as normally its reflex action to grab the brakes. But, i learnt during this ride, just to leave the throttle a bit and the bonnie slows down considerably and acts like engine braking and you can take that curve confidently without even touching the brake lever

Finally, the brakes are so powerful, it has to be experienced to appreciate it. Maybe had two instances of panic braking (speed breaker & stray dog crossing) and I just gently tapped the front brake lever and pressed down on rear brakes. Bonnie slows down like being bogged down, no grabbing the brakes or stomping the rear brake pedal scenario. Calm & Composed behaviour

Ride

Initially, I had mentioned that I felt the suspension of the Bonnie slightly on harder side but, over the period, either I got used to it or suspension has settled in. Not sure which but,it feels great both on smooth and patchy roads. But, whenever the bike goes through a small pothole there is a light plonk sound coming from the fork. Is this normal?

Handling
Yet again, I rode the Bonnie T100 for more than 120kms on this trip and my initial observation still remains intact. There is a world of difference in
handling between the T100 and SE.

I found the seats little hard, hand-grips are bigger compared to the sleek hand grips of Bonnie. T100 hand grips were biting into my palms and most
importantly, it simply cannot take turns with same level of confidence as you would the Bonneville SE. Honestly speaking, I was itching to get off the T100 and get back on my Bonnie

Forget about everything about the Bonnie, if someone should buy a Triumph Bonneville, it's purely for its handling capabilities. It excelled so much during this trip that even Ecosport rules was commenting that I was weaving in and out between trucks at speeds without even touching the brakes and he commented that the bike seemed poised and never felt even once that it was out of its depth ( you know skid or go little out of balance---he was observing me from inside his car which was right behind my tail)...and, he is a big fan of ABS on bikes and was initially smirking that Bonnie doesnt come with ABS.

Honestly speaking they should have added ABS for this price but, in reality i didnt feel the need for it yet as stock non-ABS brakes are good enough as never experienced a skid till now.

This may sound cliched or biased. Iam confident there is no other bike out there that can do such high speeds, handle and brake as good as Bonnie (within this price range, ofcourse).

My humble request to all contemplating a bike in this budget, please ride the Bonneville on a highway and you will know what it's capable of

Tyres

"Not a single time" did i experience even a wee bit of skid, slide at all. Metzelers are so grippy, it stuck to its course, be it taking high speed turns or going over rumblers or ducking in city traffic, they seem to have a relationship with roads.

Stock Lights

I was wary about riding at night as its not really easy due to visibility issues and not a safe option for riding a motorcycle. But, after riding
for over 450kms in the night, I thoroughly enjoyed riding the Bonnie at night and may do this again in future.

Stock lights have a good spread. First thing I noticed, when the large green highway signboards were coming, the stock lights were lighting all of it very nicely which suprised me and made me realize light throw is high and wide

During the night ride, Bonnie trio were still averaging 100kmph with a steady 120kmph on the speedo. Iam sure you all know even 100kmph at night feels really fast, This probably highlights how good the stock lights are but, anything above this speed the lights are not confidence inspiring as visibility becomes as issue and may need a higher wattage bulbs or aux lights

Windblast

This feedback is purely for Haroon. After he requesting this feedback, I too started thinking of it and was worried about this the most and was preparing myself to be careful of bike swaying out of course due to heavy crosswinds which can prove detrimental if you cannot control it in time.

Out of the 1200kms, as far as I can recall there were 3 sections while going and about 4 sections while coming back each of which could be 50-60kms that was really windy

Firstly, the bike didnt sway out of its course even once.

secondly, the windblast until 120kmph is negligible and can be safely ignored. Post this speed there is some windblast to chest and ankles
I was riding the bike with my legs hugged to the tank and slightly bent posture and it felt comfortable at high speeds too. But, when I wanted to relax, I used to spread my legs wide and that is when the wind hits you like a tornado at the ankles (not knees, mind you)

Butt Comfort-Feedback..LOL!!

Well, I have been riding bikes all my life but, into serious riding only a couple of years ago with my RE Classic 500 and have done plenty of 250-300kms ride on it as well. The maximum one-shot ride I did on my Classic 500 was 140-150kms and by the time that ride finished, my back felt it was put on a steak rod and hung over a large bonfire. pain in the butt used to be that excruciatingly high

In comparison, Bonnie seats are really comfortable and we were stopping once every 150kms for a quick water/buttermilk break I had absolutely no butt pain (Keep in mind I have a generous spread there..lol) and on my classic i used to adjust myself many times while riding to be more comfortable but, on Bonnie little adjustment maybe every 50kms and you can continue to ride and there was nothing called "Excruciating Pain" that I used to feel on my RE Classic 500.

There is a little discomfort but, nothing that is unbearable. Iam happy with stock seats and dont have any plans to change it

Fuel Efficiency

We were riding with no holds bar and noticed that after the tank is full , the fuel warning lamp used to come up anytime between 210kms-220kms and then ride for another 20kms-30kms before again topping it to the brim.

We filled petrol from any bunk that came our way and never feared for any adulterated fuel and never faced any issue

Fuel average was consistently between 21kmpl-22.50kmpl as I was measuring each and every tankful

Summary : We woke up at 3:00am, rode 600kms, partied the whole day/night in Bangalore, rode back the very next day for another 600kms and at the end of the ride. I honestly felt like the Bonnie is like a car on two wheels (I think I repeatedly said this to fellow riders) as it can munch those miles at high speeds and at the end of it you still come out of that ride quite fresh.

Thanks for reading my trip story. One thing I would like to share with you all-straight from the heart---Iam not in love but, obssessed with Bonnie's performance !!!

P.S: Pics coming up in subsequent posts

Last edited by GTO : 2nd May 2014 at 16:16. Reason: Added FE details
mobike008 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 10:34   #333
BHPian

Congrats for your first long ride on bonnie and i wish you many more

Knowing the capabilities of bonnie, I was expecting to hear more or less the same what you have said in the ride report. Nice to know that bonnie met/exceeded your expectations!

BTW kitna deti hai?

Regards,
harsha

Last edited by harsha.muvva : 30th April 2014 at 10:35.
harsha.muvva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 11:09   #334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Just before approaching the Bangalore airport, all riders were taken by surprise with a couple of huge rumblers which all 4 bikers took at high speed

==============

Not sure which but,it feels great both on smooth and patchy roads. But, whenever the bike goes through a small pothole there is a light plonk sound coming from the fork. Is this normal?
If you keep doing high speed stunts like these on a street bike, the suspension would have such issues Get it checked, maybe the cone set is going bust.
Old 30th April 2014, 12:41   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe had two instances of panic braking (speed breaker & stray dog crossing) and I just gently tapped the front brake lever and pressed down on rear brakes.
Avi, the rear brakes on these bikes are best avoided and i would suggest you to use only the front brakes with 2 fingers only. Please read up on those books I suggested and watch the Keith Code videos too.

Practice the techniques and they will help in panic moments.
Old 30th April 2014, 12:59   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some pictures from our Bangalore Ride from my DSLR camera

Insearch riding away in the dark with his daughter

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9014.jpg

Bonnie boys riding in the dark

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9033.jpg

Shot from a fast moving car. Didnt come entirely in the frame

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9076.jpg

Taming the speed breakers

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9089.jpg

Father-Daughter duo comfy riding together

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9019.jpg

Wifey joined me just for a few kms as she was not in proper gear

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9074.jpg

Sights of the highway

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9085.jpg

Group picture at a buttermilk break

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9052.jpg
Such turns were plenty and Bonnie tamed each one of them

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9092.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9094.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9117.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9118.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9120.jpg

Like this shot. T100 and Getz CRDi

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9124.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9126.jpg

ISKON Temple, Ananthpur

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9128.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc9129.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th April 2014 at 13:01.
mobike008 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 12:59   #337
BHPian

Avi- Kodos on a wonderful ride with beautiful pics, and more importantly sharing here a nice & detailed review of the Bonnie's highway manners from a riders/touring perspective. The 'Black Bruiser' is indeed paying you back every penny invested in it. Have fun & ride safe

Last edited by Haroon : 30th April 2014 at 13:02.
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 13:51   #338
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Initially, I had mentioned that I felt the suspension of the Bonnie slightly on harder side but, over the period, either I got used to it or suspension has settled in. Not sure which but,it feels great both on smooth and patchy roads. But, whenever the bike goes through a small pothole there is a light plonk sound coming from the fork. Is this normal?

Butt Comfort-Feedback..LOL!!

In comparison, Bonnie seats are really comfortable and we were stopping once every 150kms for a quick water/buttermilk break I had absolutely no butt pain (Keep in mind I have a generous spread there..lol) and on my classic i used to adjust myself many times while riding to be more comfortable but, on Bonnie little adjustment maybe every 50kms and you can continue to ride and there was nothing called "Excruciating Pain" that I used to feel on my RE Classic 500.

There is a little discomfort but, nothing that is unbearable. Iam happy with stock seats and dont have any plans to change it

Fuel Efficiency

We were riding with no holds bar and noticed that after the tank is full , the fuel warning lamp used to come up anytime between 210kms-220kms and then ride for another 20kms-30kms before again topping it to the brim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you keep doing high speed stunts like these on a street bike, the suspension would have such issues Get it checked, maybe the cone set is going bust.
Avi,

Good to see the feed-back. Honestly, I did not expect any thing different from what you have put down.

Couple of Points;

Fork Plonking Noise: Same case with my bike - had this whenever I took it off road (graded tracks mostly). Had checked the headstock assembly couple of times, nothing untoward and the clearance was as recomended.

But as Jaggu has mentioned, get it checked on the next service. There is no cone in the conventional sense in the headstock assembly of Bonneville, there is a roller bearing and chances of busting it at around 2000 km - I think we should give little more cedit to the build quality of Triumph

As you know this (Bonneville) is the platform 3 classic models of Triumph are based - Bonneville (all variants), Scrambler and Thruxton. Of which scrambler is primarily an out and out off-roader even in its standard avatar. So the build quality of common parts will have to be for use accross all models and head stock is common for Bonnevilles and Scrambler (Thruxton has a slightly different shapped top plate). So chance of you trashing it (the headstock bearing) with what you have done so far, is rather remote, in my opinion.

Butt Comfort: Am glad to note that you agree with my assessment in this aspect as well.

Fuel:

Avi please note that at "low fuel light" there would be at leaset 3.5 litters - usable - in tank and is good for a further 50 kms at least

Hats off to Insearch

Edited in: Saw the pictures, and very nice

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 30th April 2014 at 14:06.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 14:54   #339
Senior - BHPian

Superb ride review Mobike008, thanks for the update!
Enjoyed reading about your trip and Bonnie behavior. Wish you many more rides in future!

I have received an invite for the Shaman Triumph launch in Bombay. Its at the Royal Western India Turf Club (Mahalaxmi Racecourse) on 3rd May, 2014.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 15:20   #340
Senior - BHPian

Great trip log bro! Lovely photographs too. My butt is now itching for a proper roadtrip ......
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 15:27   #341
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
So chance of you trashing it (the headstock bearing) with what you have done so far, is rather remote, in my opinion.
Then why does it make sound? if it is A+ quality?

But seriously, are these parts really made for our usage environment? So let us not get into generalization.

Headstock play (since cone is absent) or shocks, these are the two usual suspects that comes to mind. But if you can replicate at stand still by moving the front end up and down, should be an easy task to identify and repair.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th April 2014 at 15:28.
Old 30th April 2014, 15:34   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Headstock play (since cone is absent) or shocks, these are the two usual suspects that comes to mind.
Or could be something not properly anchored within the headlight nacelle or instrument console.

T play is easily diagnosed. And the feel of fork internal rebound / inadequate damping is also pretty easily recognized by an experienced rider.
Old 30th April 2014, 15:47   #343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Or could be something not properly anchored within the headlight nacelle or instrument console.
That would be an obvious thing which would have been checked already, including the key ring
Old 30th April 2014, 15:51   #344
Senior - BHPian

The fact that its coming from both Ram's non-Indian Bonnie as well as the Indian Bonnies, points to inadequate damped/softly sprung front end for Indian conditions - i.e. potholes that can swallow cars.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 16:07   #345
BHPian

Not an expert on suspensions, but with my limited knowledge, I would say if front suspension seems to be of much concern for 'indian road conditions', 2 simple upgrades should take care of all the concerns:

1. Good Fork brace- to take care of fork stretching
2. Suspension Intiminators (here below is a nice review that fellow member gthang posted some years back)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...iminators.html

Experts can chime in with the pros & cons on the above
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks