Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 14:09   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville

I rode the Iron 883 for about 20kms on NH7, brand new one with its completing 883kms on the odometer during my ride

80kmph onwards, handle bar and foot pegs slightly vibrate

100kmph, handle bar and foot pegs vibrate rather vigorously

120kmph, which was the top speed that I touched on Iron 883, I felt like taking my feet off the foot pegs it vibrated so much

Atleast half a dozen Triumph owners took a turn riding it and each and everyone felt exactly the same. One of them even commented it felt like sitting on a generator set

Infact, owner of that Iron 883 grinned after we stopped at a break and mentioned have all your bones jarred from that ride?

Incidentally, less than 2 months into owning his Iron 883, he is now planning to dispose it off and already bought himself a "Speed Tripple", first bike in Hyderabad

Last edited by manson : 7th May 2014 at 20:30. Reason: Cleaning up, keep it fun guys.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 14:18   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I rode the Iron 883 for about 20kms on NH7, brand new one with its completing 883kms on the odometer during my ride

120kmph, which was the top speed that I touched on Iron 883, I felt like taking my feet off the foot pegs it vibrated so much
Avi,

This is not entirely true! I claim this since I have an Iron 883, 2014 model and have run 7500 kms in the 4 months that I have had it.

Between 80-100 kmph - there are vibes which disappears once you are out of this range.

Please don't bash me up for this - I have done much higher speeds than the "120" and the vibrations haven't been like "Take the foot off the peg or handles"

Also note I have stock handle bar grip and stock foot pegs.

Thanks,

Last edited by Shubz : 7th May 2014 at 14:19.
Shubz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 14:25   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
This is not entirely true! I claim this since I have an Iron 883, 2014 model and have run 7500 kms in the 4 months that I have had it.

Between 80-100 kmph - there are vibes which disappears once you are out of this range.

Also note I have stock handle bar grip and stock foot pegs.
Shubz, thanks for your contribution. Since you own the very variant we are discussing, I and everyone others will tend to beileve more than somene just passing views after a short ride ( including me)

I have just quoted what I felt and this was felt by other T riders too. Maybe, we are riding bikes that are so vibration free that even the slightest ones tend to make us feel uncomfortable

Btw, I own a Classic 500 so you can imagine, iam not new or averse to vibrations entirely but, at 120kmph it felt really bad for me personally

Out of curiousity, Have you ridden a Bonneville? If not, Please ride one for atleast 20kms on a highway and do share your honest feedback here.

I think only then this thread will see more value
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 14:42   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shubz, thanks for your contribution. Since you own the very variant we are discussing, I and everyone others will tend to beileve more than somene just passing views after a short ride ( including me)

I have just quoted what I felt and this was felt by other T riders too. Maybe, we are riding bikes that are so vibration free that even the slightest ones tend to make us feel uncomfortable

Btw, I own a Classic 500 so you can imagine, iam not new or averse to vibrations entirely but, at 120kmph it felt really bad for me personally

Out of curiousity, Have you ridden a Bonneville? If not, Please ride one for atleast 20kms on a highway and do share your honest feedback here.

I think only then this thread will see more value
No sir. I have not ridden a Bonneville. For the same reason I have never ventured into highlighting or lowlighting any feature of the same.

Ram sir also had this for me - Ride a Bonneville sometime! I surely will try this weekend or the next. 20 kms is something that I am not sure of, if the dealer would allow me to ride for.

I have never had Bonneville on my mind while making a purchase decision and have never highlighted or tried to highlight negatives of what I never intended to buy or check out.
Shubz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 16:04   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Ram sir also had this for me - Ride a Bonneville sometime! I surely will try this weekend or the next. 20 kms is something that I am not sure of, if the dealer would allow me to ride for.
Shubz, shall give you the coordinates of someone in Keerthi Motors and you can synchronise to meet them some where on their weekend ride (this weekend no ride out as they are going to be at Superbike Weekend - at Whitefield ?). He has promised to give you fairly longish ride on "open roads"

You know me, and understand that I am not trying to convert you or anything, but I sincerely think, you would be richer by that experience, that is all.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 16:12   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Shubz, shall give you the coordinates of someone in Keerthi Motors and you can synchronise to meet them some where on their weekend ride (this weekend no ride out as they are going to be at Superbike Weekend - at Whitefield ?). He has promised to give you fairly longish ride on "open roads"

You know me, and understand that I am not trying to convert you or anything, but I sincerely think, you would be richer by that experience, that is all.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Thanks for the effort Ram sir! I know you very well. You aren't the kind who'd needlessly cohort someone into something for any ungainly motive.

You want me to experience the brand and model and I would love to go about it.

Even we (We have a small group of 18/20 HOGs who) are "planning" to make a grand entry, not sure yet at the Bike festival. apprehension being -- that small a place -- would be crowded like crazy!
Old 7th May 2014, 17:38   #322
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Each individual buys what he thinks is the best for him and I think he is right (otherwise he would have not bought it in the first place)
(The day we understand this ,we will all be happy instead of arguing on whose is bigger and faster).

A very wise friend and bhpian Raveendra once said.

"I wish everyone would show atleast tolerance if respect is too much to ask, for the brands we donot own"

Let each individual decide and define their own happiness with their respective rides.

Why do you want to define how happy or unhappy the other person should be for what he is riding.

I rest my case here and donot intend to hurt anyones feelings, I apologise if I already did.

Last edited by ecosport rules : 7th May 2014 at 17:55.
ecosport rules is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 18:17   #323
Senior - BHPian

Wow guys, some serious "discussions" going on!

I am putting across my impressions of the Bonneville SE and the HD Superlow. Both bikes were ridden within three days of each other. The Superlow is a friend's bike which has completed 3200 kms. Rode the Bonnie from Shaman Bombay.

Bonneville SE: Very comfortable bike to ride, makes one feel at home in no time. Decent ride quality, very good handling and masks its weight well. Power delivery is butter smooth, loads of torque and no vibration to speak about. Having said this, I find something missing, maybe its too plain jane and would not spend INR 6.77 lacs on this.

HD Superlow: A heavy feel to the bike, feels cumbersome to flick around and for turns. Bad ride quality over broken roads. Vibrations, vibrations and vibrations, a guy could get Parkinsons over a period of time. Joking guys, but, the vibrations are very severe. Very good power and torque, but the vibrations are in equal measure. I would never put down my money for this one either.

I do not own any bike at present. In the past, say 25-28 years ago have owned and/or extensively ridden the Yamaha RX 100, Suzuki Shogun and the Rajdoot Yamaha 350.

There is no right or wrong in this (likes and dislikes or brands), there are only perceptions. the person spending the money is always right for himself/herself and that's all that matters

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 18:57   #324
BHPian

Quote:

Atleast half a dozen Triumph owners took a turn riding it and each and everyone felt exactly the same. One of them even commented it felt like sitting on a generator set
My dear friend, you are surely smitten by the bonnie's love because otherwise I can't connect why you are so obsessed with HD engine vibrations. I think we have already had this discussion on the threads previously.

Sitting on generator set...where is this coming from! I really want to meet the person who has experienced sitting on a running generator to draw a comparative like that

Now I own a 2014 Iron and absolutely cannot relate to your comment of these out of control vibration. I have ridden mine and a friend's sportster across the rev and speed range (consciously not stating top speed). The HOG Capital chapter has scores of folks who live by the sportster range and none of them have the slightest inclination to ditch their rides.

Now I am not implying Iron is smoother than the Bonnie here. Practically it is not meant to be V-Twins are supposed to be torque heavy and brash. That is their character and charm but this brashness falls quite a bit short of the painful level you are implying.

I have been acquainted with the bonnie that belonged to a friend in UK. Sorry don't recall the year of manufacture now and surely I didn't meet the 20+ KM ride benchmark you stipulate but I distinctly recall it being a fine machine which somehow personally never "hit my button" on either looks or performance. I am going to get flak for this but my heart went for a completely different animal then...a 2010 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R.

Anyways old affairs belong in history lest they spoil your present ( From an experienced married man ) So gentlemen, let us love our machines and continue our friendly banter without being too rude here.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 7th May 2014 at 19:01. Reason: no more than 2 smileys allowed per post. thanks.
AC_genius is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 20:01   #325
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_genius View Post
My dear friend, you are surely smitten by the bonnie's love because otherwise I can't connect why you are so obsessed with HD engine vibrations. I think we have already had this discussion on the threads previously.

Now I am not implying Iron is smoother than the Bonnie here. Practically it is not meant to be V-Twins are supposed to be torque heavy and brash. That is their character and charm but this brashness falls quite a bit short of the painful level you are implying.
I do not think any one has claimed from HD side that 883 is smoother than bonnie. Its not! there is a good reason for that!
883 is based on 1200cc evo , it shares same crank , connecting rods , big /small end bearings , oil pump , primary drive and entire clutch (with only clutch spring being different and costing 27$ for 1200 version)
883 uses a small bore , meaning cylinders and pistons are different.
all rotational masses have been made and balanced for 1200 running at 10:1 and MEP . 883 has same gearbox and same belt drive so you dont need to worry about swapping anything on the entire bike.
Downside is , engine is never truly balanced in 883 version as it is using different weight of pistons and different thrust is generated as compared to 1200.

But there is a massive advantage as well , when that power bug bites you , which usually does once you realize how much fun that low rev torque is , at least you have option to upgrade without changing the bike you have been spending time with and pampering .

Official Harley upgrades to 1200 start at around 1.1lc but since evo is an old timer lot of really reliable houses have developed bolt on kits!
you can get 1200cc & 1212cc & 1250cc & 1450cc bolt on kits that come with new cylinders and pistons from S&S , revtec, NHRS , Hammer performance , Axtell and Weisco.

some of these houses have multiple world records for sportsters and Hammer performance and NHRS hold of more than 30 LSR alone.

Not only these kits increase torque beyond what factory standard kits do but can be ordered with your choice of compression ratios and squish clearances.

Golden line is one of the most popular 1250 kit from Hammer starts at 599$ plus 105$ shipping , 1450kit starts at 900$ (plus 10% discount if you are in their good list).
you are looking at 50-60k in rupees and you have one truly maniac hotrod!
Its common to have 75-80rwhp with 110+nm , but if you go by the Guidelines set hammer dan , people have 111bhp from 1250kits , and that kind of bhp from a low rev motor is all torque.
Yes it certainly will increase expenses for rear tyre replacement.

Its soo much fun leaving twinkies wondering what did that 883 ate for breakfast when you open up alongside on a Highway.

I do not think Fun is in kmph , on a Busa / goldwing /intruders when you will look down onto the speed for the first time you are most likely past 200 already , and you or the machine are so comfortable! there is not ants in the pants feeling! No Vibes to remind you , undulations of road don't bother you at all and things like that.

When a rider gets down from a Harley you don't need to ask , smile says it all. Most likely he would not be able to speak for a while because of adrenaline and orgasms!

Its for people to decide they want a Number posted on FB from their speedo or they want fun for themselves.

Harleys are calm when you are calm , they are very angry bikes when you are in the mood!

I agree Superlow and Iron feel less Flick-able as compared to most other bikes, but trust me Its just a Feeling , they demand more input from rider and quite flick able if you are willing to commit.
Most people Ride only Sunday to sunday or in free time on this segment of bikes.
If even than your bike is running like its a driver less vehicle , doing everything too easy , not involving the rider , not asking for concentration , even the sunday rides become a chore after a few months.

I believe Harleys can do all the fun stuff , but they ask you to participate more . They are not like a Movie you are watching , they are the Playstation where the Hero fails if you do not react on the remote!

Last edited by manson : 7th May 2014 at 20:22. Reason: mention of high speeds. The rule is for Kmph and not mph.
dustom_99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 20:47   #326
Team-BHP Support

Moderator Note: Please keep it fun, simple & informative from hereon, and lets respect each other's preferences & choices. There is no reason to explain or defend a choice you made. If you love a motorcycle, enjoy your saddle, not the keyboard.
manson is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 21:30   #327
BHPian

There's the Camaro kind and there's the Ferrari kind. But ! you'd know the marked differences only if you drove either in the Alps or the Autobhan : Ditch making a decision based on the marketing brilliance

There are ones who like the 90deg sound and the 180 deg sound. But! you'd know the difference only if you knew which one converts fuel(gas!) to performance and which one converts fuel to sound: Ditch making a decision based on what others are buying and making you notice their choice.

There are some who would know why the Ferrari's and TVR's have flat planed cranks and the Americans V8's ( the famous ones ) used cross planed cranks: Ditch making you decision based on what Hollywood and NBA cribs have

There are some who would like to potter around listening to nature's sounds instead of having to ride like as if Hurricane Katrina is back and you've to scoot ( and let people 5kms before and after you still know that your riding and haven't crashed).: Ditch making your decision based on that soul who said " I heard thaty the Harley guy escaped"

If anyone related to or understood any of the above categories, even by 1%, then a Harley Davidson wouldn't be their choice. Some basic exercises in today's real world ,more than all this "I have the tools to defend my choice" talk, would help the ones who didn't understand the above categories too.

1.After a continous 100km ride, try and tap out a message on your touch screen mobile. ( Have you'll tried this ? its trippy afte riding certain bikes !)

2. Try to potter about at 20kmph for 20kms within town. The 20kmph makes your nethers strong on the wrong bikes. The 20kms get you to smell roasted calf muscles on the same.

3. Wait at a Railway crossing and challenge yourself to keep your's running until the train passes by. I know its unnecessary, but so was the challenge to ride like Captain America.

I can go on and on, but I'm reminiscing Sam Kapasi now . He probably would have said " Baah humbug, all you folks have probably never dated a hot chick. You'll never understand what's lost or gained when riding a HD"

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 7th May 2014 at 21:50.
absynthguzzler is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 00:13   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not surprising to know that. Anyone who has ridden extensively both these bikes have chosen the Bonnie over the Street Tripple and I know several of my own friends with exactly same feedback
Reminds me of good ol bullet vs rd 350 debate. Infact when i got my RD, right from dad to uncles all were hell bent on going the bullet way. I wanted to a prove a point and for 5 years she did ran on points, without a single failure

Or is it that 2.x lakhs diff between Street and Bonnie?

Seriously to each man/woman, his/her choice! as long as one is sure and happy, no point in debating it. Because all this is based on individual, taste, preference and passion. In front of passion nothing would stand.

I can share zillion facts, number and video's to prove Street is better than the Bonnie, but it would be a waste here.

Why am i not doing it? Its my passion my ego, no point in pushing it down someone else's belief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Moderator Note: Please keep it fun, simple & informative from hereon, and lets respect each other's preferences & choices. There is no reason to explain or defend a choice you made. If you love a motorcycle, enjoy your saddle, not the keyboard.
Look at this guy, he rides around in a puny lil honda which can whoop almost all the bikes mentioned in this thread and still focuses on the happiness factor.

Seriously is there any new point that needs debate? Can't we close this thread now?
Jaggu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 12:15   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Reminds me of good ol bullet vs rd 350 debate. Infact when i got my RD, right from dad to uncles all were hell bent on going the bullet way. I wanted to a prove a point and for 5 years she did ran on points, without a single failure
Spot on, thats a fantastic analogy. Indeed this comparison is equivalent to Bullet and RD 350 of old era.

Iam just hoping Bonneville doesnt disappear into oblivion like the brilliant and performance personified of that era (RD350) whereas the dawdly bullet continues to win more hearts (including mine) more than ever

Quote:
Or is it that 2.x lakhs diff between Street and Bonnie?
Come on Jaggu, Someone spending 7 lakhs will balk at 2 lakhs extra?

I personally wouldnt care to fork out those 2 extras as long as it wins my heart but, it was never even there in contention for me personally.

Both are totally different bikes and performance wise I know ST can leave the Bonnie in dust ( not literally though) but, styling of the bike is so much like the FZ/Duke that people are hestitant to plonk 9 big ones on it ( my assumption considering the dismal sales of it). Till date 1 in Hyderabad and maybe 3-4 in Bangalore

Besides this I know several people who rode both bikes werent really convinced on Street Tripple

Quote:
Seriously to each man/woman, his/her choice! as long as one is sure and happy, no point in debating it. Because all this is based on individual, taste, preference and passion. In front of passion nothing would stand.
Couldnt agree more. This thread was started with sole intention of feedback of both these bikes as per my POV.

Iam not sure why everyone is jumping at each others throats as if what I wrote is final letter of law and trying to prove points especially people who dont even ride the same variant being discussed on this thread as title clear reads out which models are being discussed here.

If they are so passionate to prove their points, they should start their own thread and continue their discussion there

Quote:
I can share zillion facts, number and video's to prove Street is better than the Bonnie, but it would be a waste here.
Great idea. Why dont you start a new thread with these two bikes comparison? Should be interesting conversation and information for all

Quote:
Look at this guy, he rides around in a puny lil honda which can whoop almost all the bikes mentioned in this thread and still focuses on the happiness factor.
LOL. Your forgetting I rode Manson's puny Honda in Mumbai and it indeed scared me out of my wits. That's why I settled for a lesser powerful bike

Quote:
Seriously is there any new point that needs debate? Can't we close this thread now?
Do you think its a good idea?

Triumph has just started their dealerships across India. Lot of folks across India have just started riding the Bonnie. Wouldnt they want someplace on the forum to pen down their feedback?
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 13:23   #330
Senior - BHPian

I thought I was wrong and that the speed limits were changed so I went and checked to find that the speed limits are still very much there. Except for private motor cars there are speed limits prescribed for all classes of vehicles including motorcycles.

In most states including Andhra Pradesh, the speed limit for motorcycles is 50Kmph or thereabouts. So, anything above 50kmph that on a motorcycle is illegal. Why then are we talking about something that is illegal to begin with.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks