Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2014, 21:14   #286
BHPian

Finished my first long ride, went to Sakleshpur and back in the evening. Some notes -
1. Headlight is not as bad as I was led to believe. Just changing the bulbs should do fine for me at least.
2. The brakes do need upgrading, especially for high speed emergency braking. Wondering if I should change the pads or the lines
3. Definitely needs a bigger horn especially with our set of idiotic drivers/riders on the road. Any suggestions?

Another update, from today.
Got the IXIL Dual Hyperlow XL full system exhaust complemented with a K&N filter. The difference in weight between the stock exhaust and this one is unbelievable.
She is much more responsive now and accelerates a little bit more quickly.
Oh, sounds super too

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd December 2014 at 14:17. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 22nd December 2014, 22:07   #287
BHPian

The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
Finished my first long ride, went to Sakleshpur and back in the evening. Some notes

2. The brakes do need upgrading, especially for high speed emergency braking. Wondering if I should change the pads or the lines

Having ridden both stock n650 and the one with upgraded brakes(both pads and brake lines), I will suggest you to change them both.The difference is noticible and definitely worth the money!

IIRC the one I rode had galfer lines and HH rated brake pads(both front and rear).
harsha.muvva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 10:43   #288
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Got the IXIL Dual Hyperlow XL full system exhaust complemented with a K&N filter. The difference in weight between the stock exhaust and this one is unbelievable.
Oh, sounds super too
A picture or two of your new exhaust would be appreciated. And add a video for sound too. What is the weight of the old and new exhausts?
Old 23rd December 2014, 11:56   #289
BHPian

Will upload pictures a little later today. Dont know the weight of the stock exhaust but the new one is supposed to be 2 kgs!!
Old 23rd December 2014, 12:45   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, sounds super too
Cool! never knew we could get this here.

HOw much did it cost and from where did you get it from?
Do share video.
Old 23rd December 2014, 16:02   #291
BHPian

I got it from Joe of Joe's Automobile Engineer's but I think it is available via PlanetDSG through their online store or in Pune. MRP is ~39k.
killjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 11:22   #292
BHPian

Here is a video of my exhaust.

http://instagram.com/p/w9UIB-TPbS/
Old 29th December 2014, 08:36   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
So an update coming from my side after a long time.

After successfully installing the clip-ons and the new brake/clutch levers, it was time to hit the track again. Fellow BHPians Shriku and gsferrari were partners-in-crime as were other members of the India Kawasaki Ninja Owners' group for a May track weekend at Kari racetrack, Coimbatore.

This was also the first time, I was putting my new Cortech Latigo RR 1 pc leather suit to the test and boy was it awesome! The suit fit extremely snug and secure and moving around on the bike was so much easier. Cant imagine riding around the track without a suit anymore. The Nike Dri-fit inners made sure that even in the May heat and the full leathers, I remained dry and cool. Awesome tech these days in apparels I tell you.

Anyways, the track weekend went great and the Clip-ons worked their magic. It was much easier to throw her around the corners now and the body positioning was so much better and easier. A higher pre-load also helped in keeping her more planted than before while the EBC Extreme pads and braided lines were a confidence booster like never before.

The clip-ons also made the turn-in a lot quicker and flicking her between chicanes was a lot more comfortable this time around.

She needs a new set of footwear now and for the upcoming track weekend in September, I would mostly put her on new and better rubber. Also on the cards are the custom clutch springs (used by Sriku) and possibly a set of rear-sets (still debating in my head). A PC5 is still on the bucket list although I am slowly losing the charm for an exhaust.

Rode a friend's 2011 N650R recently and realised that the 2011 and 2012 models are completely different bikes. The 2011 has grunt in the mid and top rev range while the 2012 has the low and the mid sections stronger with the top end being consequently less peakier. Accordingly the way to push both bikes changes. The 2011 also felt more compact and hence was easier to throw around although the 2012 felt a lot more planted in the corners.
I was looking at all the pictures in this thread and especially this set as it was on track. I could not find even one bike running with front fork protectors. I was searching online and am not sure if there is anything that is available for the '12-'14 Ninja 650. Can someone please confirm if that is the case? Thanks.
Old 30th December 2014, 10:37   #294
BHPian

Quote:
I could not find even one bike running with front fork protectors. I was searching online and am not sure if there is anything that is available for the '12-'14 Ninja 650. Can someone please confirm if that is the case? Thanks.
I have not come across any 650 in India running fork protectors but I am sure they are available somewhere globally. Adventure touring junkies wont settle without them. Check stores in Bangkok and Singapore for a hit or maybe check online global kawa forums.

Quote:
Will upload pictures a little later today. Dont know the weight of the stock exhaust but the new one is supposed to be 2 kgs!!
The stock exhaust is about 11.5 kg. My Scorpion full system is about 3 kilos which makes a huge weight saving and much better ground clearance.

K&N is ok but please put a Power Commander or a Bazzaz Fi box to compliment the exhaust and filter to ensure you arent running the bike too lean. A lean mix will cause long term damage to the engine and the bike will heat up a lot more. Also to derive any sort of decent performance gain from the exhaust, a juice box is a must.
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 11:29   #295
BHPian

Been a while since my last update.

Have been busy riding and doing trackdays frequently.

Did a track weekend at Kari last month and before that got an opportunity to ride the Kawasaki biggies at MMSC and Kari on a few occassions.

Coming to my 650, the Ricor Intiminators make a world of a difference to the handling at the track. No jokes. The entire setup and behavior of the bike in corners has progressed atleast ten notches above stock setting. If budget wasnt a constraint I would have ideally put a ohlins / Penske rear race shock to compliment the front. I am still in the mood to upgrade to a proper supersport and god & wallet willing shall do so in the new year.

Planning to keep the 650 even after getting a bigger bike. Will turn her into a proper tourer. Shes still the best VFM all-rounder money can buy.

A big shout-out to Kawasaki India for letting me ride the Z800, Ninja 1000, Z1000, ZX14R and the mighty 10R on the track.
The 10R is obviously the king of the circuit, but surprisingly the pocket rocket Z1000 turned out to be super quick around the track too. A superb machine in my opinion. Pity I am not a fan of naked bikes. Would have picked this one up with my eyes closed.
Attached Thumbnails
The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650-img_20141013_112518.jpg  

The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650-10668971_828327697189490_7250032985785426626_o.jpg  

Last edited by narula123 : 30th December 2014 at 11:51.
Old 30th December 2014, 11:46   #296
BHPian

Quote:
I have not come across any 650 in India running fork protectors but I am sure they are available somewhere globally. Adventure touring junkies wont settle without them. Check stores in Bangkok and Singapore for a hit or maybe check online global kawa forums.

The stock exhaust is about 11.5 kg. My Scorpion full system is about 3 kilos which makes a huge weight saving and much better ground clearance.

K&N is ok but please put a Power Commander or a Bazzaz Fi box to compliment the exhaust and filter to ensure you arent running the bike too lean. A lean mix will cause long term damage to the engine and the bike will heat up a lot more. Also to derive any sort of decent performance gain from the exhaust, a juice box is a must.
Yeah, the plan is to do a PCV as soon as possible, for now she seems to be running fine, in fact better than the normal exhaust.
Old 30th December 2014, 11:56   #297
BHPian

Quote:
My Ninja has fork protectors (sliders). Have run through one set after a small fall, and now have another set installed. Pics at my review thread.
Sourced mine from the Bikers.co.th store in Thailand, however SW Motech and a bunch of other retailers do stock their fork sliders along with swingarm sliders. Google is your friend.
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 12:03   #298
BHPian

Few more pics from the kawasaki trackdays
Attached Thumbnails
The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650-10505579_10152513445379933_1670561138948588008_n.jpg  

The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650-10660196_800770049945255_5066284933716979082_n.jpg  

Old 30th December 2014, 12:06   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
My Ninja has fork protectors (sliders). Have run through one set after a small fall, and now have another set installed. Pics at my review thread.
Sourced mine from the Bikers.co.th store in Thailand, however SW Motech and a bunch of other retailers do stock their fork sliders along with swingarm sliders. Google is your friend.
Sriku,

I thought fork sliders and fork protectors were different. My assumption was that fork protectors sit on the fork tubes like covers and protect them from flying debris and dust.

Maybe a noob moment for me
Old 30th December 2014, 14:46   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Thanks again Sriku. Found a couple of options online but they dont look like the ones on your bike, dont want to order and be stuck with something that I cannot use.

Checked with Aditya, seems he hand carried them from Bangkok last time.

Lets see, anyway, here is the link that I found online -
https://www.denniskirk.com/driven-ra...prd/274081.sku
killjoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks